Stephen King Adaptations.

The Sequel That Didn't Happen; Sleepwalkers 2
Posted: April 3, 2020, 09:23:05

It seems that King's wife Tabitha King wrote a treatment for a sequel to Sleepwalkers that involved a women’s basketball team somehow. Here is what Mick Garris says on Post Mortem:

“There was a little bit of talk. I mean, the movie was successful, it was the #1 movie the week that it came out. I never heard the studio talk about it, but Tabitha King, Stephen King’s wife, actually wrote a treatment for a sequel to Sleepwalkers that involved a women’s basketball team somehow. I’m not sure how, I never read it, but King was very excited that Tabby came up with this. But it was a sequel that nobody at the studio gave a **** about. You know, they liked the money that Sleepwalkers made, but it was not a prestige release by any means, so they never even thought about Sleepwalkers after.”

Source: Dread Central

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2020]

The director's cut of Doctor Sleep is a remarkable and rather beautiful thing.

I don't go for extended editions, typically, but this one really allows the film to become its own rich entity. And unlike many extended editions it rarely feels unwieldy or awkward. It has this measured pacing that allows each scene to hit and slowly build. It gives the film a very quiet, almost subdued cumulative effect, but when we get to the climax and Danny's last line and that final image. Yass.

Also, when Halloran said "Ka is a wheel, doc" Cue standing-O rson Welles GIF

Incredible that Flanagan could pull this one off, honoring the book (which is not one of King's best) and the film (which casts a long shadow) and their two different visions and consolidating this into something that feels like it carries Flanagan's vision and also makes a slew of good adaptation tweaks and storytelling decisions in order for this to work as an effective and rather beautiful movie in its own right.

He took a mid-tier (or lower tier King book, depending on who you ask) and I would say with the director's cut has made a Top 5 King adaptation. Possibly even Top 3 for me, personally.

Literally never heard anyone call The Shining a mid to lower tier book for King, but okay.

Mmm. Not sure.

honoring the book (which is not one of King's best) and the film (which casts a long shadow)

'And the film' is obviously referring to the Kubrick adaptation, and so naturally 'the book' would itself be referring to The Shining. Though in retrospect I'll concede that the 'mid to lower tier' line is probably referring to Doctor Sleep, so I take your point. My apologies to the OP. :awesome:

yeah, definitely was talking about the Doctor Sleep book. ;-)

I just saw Doctor Sleep on demand from home, and although it's nowhere in the same realm as the Shining movie, it wasn't terrible to watch.
If you're a Stephen King fan and waited all these years to see what happened to little Danny & his father, I would recommend giving it a try.
I thought there were a lot of King adaptions that were much worse than Doctor Sleep.
It's a shame it didn't do as well in the box office.

It wasn't marketed very well, in my opinion.

'Children of the Corn' Remake Getting Ready to Walk Behind the Rows Again

On the outskirts of Sydney, producer Lucas Foster (Ford v Ferrari) and director Kurt Wimmer have managed to quietly continue their shoot on The Children of the Corn, a remake of the 1984 horror classic, despite lockdown measures imposed across Australia on March 23.

The film’s outdoor locations, its local cast and crew, and its status as an independent production have meant it was not subject to studio-based furloughs and shutdowns that have hit other film shoots across the country…Children of the Corn “significantly reduced its cast and crew size and is implementing health and safety protocols in line with government restrictions for workplaces … and is keeping local police informed on their operation.”

It frustrates me so much that they’re remaking stuff like Firestarter but a Dark Tower series can’t get off the ground. It’s depressing to think that the only “adaptation” of King’s most epic work that we might ever get is a crappy 90 minute movie that no one saw.

yup looking forward to seeing Christine on the big screen it is to me my all time fave King movie based on a book. even tho I read the book many times they changed a lot for the film, I LIKE the changes they made and the movie is still amazing 40 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"