Steven Spielbergs Greatest Film

Hush

Wee Little Puppet Man
Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread like this in a while so I thought I would make one just to gauge public opinion. Starting with the year 1974.

2008 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

2005 Munich

2005 War of the Worlds

2004 The Terminal

2002 Catch Me If You Can

2002 Minority Report

2001 A.I. Artificial Intelligence

1998 Saving Private Ryan

1997 Amistad

1997 The Lost World: Jurassic Park

1993 Schindler's List

1993 Jurassic Park

1991 Hook

1989 Always

1989 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

1987 Empire of the Sun

1985 The Color Purple

1984 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

1983 Twilight Zone: The Movie (segment 2)

1982 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark

1979 1941

1977 Close Encounters of the Third Kind

1975 Jaws

1974 The Sugarland Express

Figured out the poll! Have at thee!

Last edited:
1. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
2. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
3. E.T.
4. Munich
5. Raiders of the Last Ark

thats my personal top 5

I would have to say Jaws. It was such an achievement in the production department and started the whole 'blockbuster' movement.

I'm a huge Spielberg fan (though I haven't seen a slew of those movies), but JAWS takes the cake for what I think his greatest film is (even though I probably like Jurassic Park more).

Of the movies I've seen of his, the only one I actually disliked (which is different from the disappointment I felt with Close Encounters) was A.I. which seemed to try to tug at your heartstrings E.T. style, but failed because it was basically about a vacuum cleaner that happened to be shaped like a boy.

I'm going to go with Raiders. Not only is it one of my top favorites but it has such a distinct style and a lot of films look up to it or would not be here if it wasn't for Raiders.

I'm going to go with Raiders. Not only is it one of my top favorites but it has such a distinct style and a lot of films look up to it or would not be here if it wasn't for Raiders.
Like what for example? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just curious about what you're referring to.

1) Raiders
2) Saving Private Ryan
3) ET
4) Close Encounters
5) Jurassic Park
HM) Jaws

Last edited:
Like what for example? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just curious about what you're referring to.
Well Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, and Crystal Skull of course. But also National Treasure 1 and 2, King Solomon's Mines, Hidalgo, The Librarian films, Sky Captain, Stargate, Armor of God II: Operation Condor, Romancing the Stone, Pirates of the Caribbean 1-3, Tomb Raider 1 and 2, Sahara, The Phantom, The Mummy 1-3, possibly The Shadow (not sure on that one), The Goonies, Young Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock Holmes, etc. just to name a few. All of these films show influence in many different ways.

Oh, and to keep myself out of trouble, I'm not saying these are ripping off Indiana Jones. I know where each and every one of these ideas came from, however I firmly believe that they all owe something to Raiders and Spielberg's directorial style in Raiders. I'm sure I could come up with a bigger list if I gave it some more thought.

Someone should look at this list and tell me Cameron is a better filmmaker.

I'd say critically, Schindler's list. As a fan, I'd say E.T.

1. Schindler's List
2. Jaws
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
4. Jurassic Park
5. Saving Private Ryan

Spielberg is one of my favs. I consider him in the same league as Scorsese, Kubrick, and all those guys.

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
3. Jaws
4. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
5. E.T.

Top 5:

1 - Raiders of the Lost Ark

2 - Saving Private Ryan

3 - Schindlers List

4 - Jurassic Park

5 - Munich

1. Hook - Jurassic Park. I can never choose :csad:
2. Raiders
3. IJ : TLC
4. Schindler's List
5. Jaws

Jaws
Jurassic Park
Saving Private Ryan

I think Spielberg is at his best when he makes fun, adventurous, light-hearted movies. So Jaws, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Catch Me If You Can are his best ones in my opinion. And I should definately rewatch Jurassic Park sometime, haven't seen it since I was a kid.

I gave it to Jurassic Park. It seemed the culmination of his work up to that point. It also really marks the last time he brought real wonder and magic to the big screen. He's had great movies since, but, as I've said before, I cannot abide Janusz Kaminski's work.

Jurassic Park for me. Its just about as good as it gets for action adventure films. I also loved ET, Saving Private Ryan, Jaws, Schindler's List, Raiders, and The Color Purple. All great films.....I wonder what happened to him the last decade. Not that his recent films are bad, they are just not near the greatness as the ones i've mentioned

It's impossible to say one from such huge and different list.

Schindler's List is he's most perfect movie. I have nothing bad to say about the movie.

You left out Duel on that list. An underrated gem.

You left out Duel on that list. An underrated gem.

I finally got to see Duel a few months ago thanks to Netflix. I wouldn't put it anywhere near the top of the list but it was pretty damn good for a tv movie by a rookie filmmaker :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"