• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Steven Spielberg's "Ready Player One"

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
Just finished reading the book. It's just awesome. The mental images it gave me, so utterly wicked. I wonder if they'll ever be able to pull this Movie off. The number of licenses they'd have to acquire, to make the Movie a faithful adaptation, is just through the roof.

Just alone the final battle.

With Neon Genesis Evangelion Robots, Voltron, Mecha Godzilla, Minerva X, Raideen, Gundam RX-78, Leopardon and Ultraman, with an Army of Gunters and Spaceships flying around from all kinds of Sci-Fi TV shows and Movies.

If they ever manage to get all the licenses required, I'll be there opening day.

This movie will cost 1 bajillion, gajillion dollars. It will be awesome. Possibly one of my all time favourite books.

You'll need someone with pull to get ILM, WETA or whoever to do all that fx work.

You'll need someone with pull to get ILM, WETA or whoever to do all that fx work.

This movie has old school James Cameron written all over it. The book even references him as one of the essential film makers.

Just finished reading the book. It's just awesome. The mental images it gave me, so utterly wicked. I wonder if they'll ever be able to pull this Movie off. The number of licenses they'd have to acquire, to make the Movie a faithful adaptation, is just through the roof.

As amazing as this sounds, I'm a little apprehensive about the narrative. I read some reviews on Amazon that said it was pretty much all 80's pop culture references, little plot, run-of-the-mill, too much exposition, too self-aware, the protagonist isn't likeable, etc, which kind of rubs me the wrong way. I'm worried that, if it were made as a film, it would kind of turn into one of those films that basks in it's own glory and sings its own praises a bit too much.

Those of you that have read the book, are any of these issues valid, or am I just worrying a bit too much?

Just alone the final battle.

With Neon Genesis Evangelion Robots, Voltron, Mecha Godzilla, Minerva X, Raideen, Gundam RX-78, Leopardon and Ultraman, with an Army of Gunters and Spaceships flying around from all kinds of Sci-Fi TV shows and Movies.

If they ever manage to get all the licenses required, I'll be there opening day.

I'd imagine that getting some of the Japanese properties wouldn't cost much money, considering how obscure some of them are.

It feels like something in the vein of Scott Pilgrim/Wreck-It Ralph almost.

Here's a cool fan trailer.

[YT]vMksw7_spf0[/YT]

Yeah, pretty much.

I read someone else describe it as "Willy Wonka meets The Matrix".

You know what? Despite my reservations, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the book. This sort of thing seems to be up my alley anyway.

If I end up liking it, then great. If not, then I can at least say I gave it a chance.

Last edited:
Umm, is that the Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad on the cover?

Dear Michael Cera,

Stay the f*** away from this.

Dear Jesse Eisenberg,

Stay away from staying away from this. You are perfect for the lead role.

Hmmm. Sounds interesting.

When this does get made, are there any changes from the book you'd be ok with or actually want changed? I personally want to see Aech and Art3mis take on the Sixers, while Wade takes on Sorrento. Also, since Wade has 3 minutes as Ultraman, he should probably do more than 3 moves, before the fight ends.

When this does get made, are there any changes from the book you'd be ok with or actually want changed? I personally want to see Aech and Art3mis take on the Sixers, while Wade takes on Sorrento. Also, since Wade has 3 minutes as Ultraman, he should probably do more than 3 moves, before the fight ends.

I like how that sounds. I can't think of any changes off the top of my head though.

Warner Bros. Sets Zak Penn to Adapt Ready Player One

Source: The Wrap
June 23, 2014

The project first announced to be in the works more than four years ago (before the novel was even published), Warner Bros. and De Line Pictures have, according to a story at The Wrap, set Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, X-Men: The Last Stand) to adapt Ernie Cline's Ready Player One. The property is officially described as follows:

In the near future, outcast teenager Wade Watts escapes from his bleak surroundings by logging in to the OASIS, a globally networked virtual utopia where users can lead idyllic alternate lives. When the eccentric billionaire who created the OASIS dies, he offers up his vast fortune as the prize in an elaborate treasure hunt. Along with gamers from around the world, Wade joins the adventure, and quickly finds himself pitted against powerful corporate foes and other ruthless competitors who will do anything, in the oasis or the real world, to reach the treasure first.

Cline, who previously scripted Fanboys, initially penned the adaptation of his book, which was then rewritten by A Better Life scribe Eric Eason.

Donald De Line and Dan Farah are set to produce.

I need to read the book again. It's been a while and I don't remember much of it anymore.

This book mainly caters to Gen X'ers. A nostalgia trip for gamers of that generation. What with all the references to the games, animes and movies during the eighties. I feel people who were born in the 2000's won't get a lot of the references in this book. Unless you're the kids of those Gen X'ers.

A very fun read! A love letter to the Eighties and those who lived then!

I read someone else describe it as "Willy Wonka meets The Matrix".

You know what? Despite my reservations, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the book. This sort of thing seems to be up my alley anyway.

If I end up liking it, then great. If not, then I can at least say I gave it a chance.

I thought of it as Willy wonka meets Tron.

I think that people who haven't read the book, will possibly think this is ripping off spy kids 3.

It's Willy Wonka meets It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World set in a Tron/Matrix world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"