• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Super Mario Super Mario Bros 3 vs Super Mario World

I chose SMW for SNES, even though SMB3 changed the industry. SMW utilizes everything from SMB3, but makes it more of a challenge. I wish Super Mario All Stars would have been a choice, that is game is "my precious".

I chose SMW for SNES, even though SMB3 changed the industry. SMW utilizes everything from SMB3, but makes it more of a challenge. I wish Super Mario All Stars would have been a choice, that is game is "my precious".
It's funny, cause SMA deluxe had Mario 1-3, The Lost Levels, and Mario World.:wow:

I need to buy a new Super Mario Allstars....

But yea, Love SMW.

It was hard to choose but I gave it to SMB3. Me, my brother and a friend of ours (God rest his soul) used to have a blast playing it every weekend. The Frog Suit sent us in stitches when he was running on dry land. World 3 Level 8 and all the times we got chomped up by that huge fish head. Frustrating times...but memorable. :)

I even remember when Mum was playing it. It was hard to take the controller away from her. :D

Btw, has Super Mario All Stars made to the VC yet?

Last edited:
Super Mario World. It's secret stage (Star World)? It had its own secret...stage (Special)!

It's real tough I love BOTH of them so much. World had Yoshi and levels you had to play again with lots of secrets. Mario 3 for NES (not any remake) I love for it's moodiness, music, graphics and all around awesomeness. It changed the series for the better. There def wouldn't be a Mario World without 3. Plus I owned it first and had more memories with it. 3 gets my vote.

Super Mario World. It's secret stage (Star World)? It had its own secret...stage (Special)!

Yeah that's true. Secret Secret World. Both are so good. With the Wii I can just click and play either one. So great.

i think super mario 3 had a far bigger impact on platform gaming full stop and coming out after the disappoint super mario 2 and featuring in teh wiz makes it that big better for me.

plus the advertising campaign is just crazy good, i still chart mario in my sleep.

plus it was one of the first 'cooperative platformers out there'

it was a game you could literally play with yoru friend and go through the maps together and strategise who fought the bosses and with what suits etc...

I'm kindof torn. I think I like Mario 3 for being the most traditional Mario game out of the 2d games. Afterall, it's pretty much everything Super Mario Bros. was but had so many new things, like the new powerups, map screen, many many more levels, and themed worlds. But the levels are short, and the levels tend to be kindof flat except for the hilly levels.

Super Mario World improved upon that by making the terrain throughout the game generally more diverse and the levels longer, but I prefer the atmosphere of Mario 3. Mario World has a lighter, more childish feel.. the best comparison I can think of is.. Mario World is Mickey Mouse and the NES Marios are Bugs Bunny. The series took on a lighter, softer feel with World.

What can I say capes make more sense than flying raccoons. I just wish a few of the other elements from SMB3 would've carried over.

I don't see how a cape makes any more sense than a raccoon tail, but whatever. Trying to apply any kind of logic to Mario is a fool's errand.

It makes sense when you take into consideration that capes are synonymous with superheroes, and a lot of people have the misconception that the cape is what allows Superman to fly. Actually though, the cape powerup makes Mario sortof like golden age Superman. He can do a super jump, but can only stay in the air by using his cape to glide, which is something the golden age Superman did a few times.

hard choice, but i went for Super Mario World

both those games along with Super Mario 64 are i think the best/top 3 Mario games of all time

I had more fun with SMW, but SMB3 is the better game.

SM64 rules them both though. :D

I don't see how a cape makes any more sense than a raccoon tail, but whatever. Trying to apply any kind of logic to Mario is a fool's errand.

Have you ever seen a raccoon use it's tail to fly? :huh:

Each had its good and bad points, but Yoshi's still about whereas the racoon tail has vanished into existance... kind of like how GC's Sunshine went.

Last edited:
I played both, not sure which is best from memory, but i distinctly recall the first time i played SMW. I had not played any platformer games in years and years, and sat down to SWM at my sister's house one afternoon, all alone in the house, haha, with an absolute blazing head splitting hangover from the depths of hell...but i played through about 25-30 levels of the game that afternoon, with no booze or drugs to take the edge off the hangover i had to settle for SMW, haha. But, aye, i enjoyed all of the Mario platformers.
Also, you had that great Mario rip off game 'The Great Giana Sisters' that was banned, I had an illegal copy of that for the Commodore Amiga, it was as good as the actual original Mario platformer it ripped off, loved that game. I mean, it had it's own level designs and all that, it was just the actual style of game was wholesale ripped off.

the racoon tail has vanished into existance

I'm assuming you meant vanish FROM existence.

Super+Mario+3D+Land.png

Super-Mario-3D-art-3.png

super-mario-1.jpg

screenshot_39633_thumb_wide402.jpg

super-mario-2.jpg

super-mario-4.jpg

Definitely Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario World was nice and all, but many of the levels felt the same.

All of the levels in Super Mario Bros. 3, however, were unique. Aquatic levels, icy caverns, pirate ships, castles, deserts, battlefields, etc. etc. etc.

There were dozens of power-ups and costumes, and the length of that game.. it was HUGE.

Incredibly difficult, but oh so fun. Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of the greatest games of all-time. Mario World was a decent game, but cannot compare to SMB3.

wait.... why does everyone in the new game have the racoon tail lol

def gotta go with sm3 though

Have you ever seen anyone use a cape to fly?

Not usually, but a lot of superheroes who wear capes fly. I mean, the association is kind of obvious.

Sorry, I know this is an old topic but I couldn't resist responding. :woot:

I still love "Super Mario 3" after all these years. While "Super Mario World" is a very good game, its far too easy to beat once you find the Star Road after Castle #1.

I think there's a similar issue in most of the previous Marios when you take into account the warp zone. In SMB3, you get the two warp whistles in world 1 and use one to get to the warp zone, then the other warps you straight to the world 8 pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"