• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Superman Returns Superman Returns in 3D - A New Dimension

M.E.H.Z.E.B

Banned Usèr
Reaction score
On 27th August 2006, I finally caught Superman Returns in the IMAX Theatre at Bangkok, Thailand. I hadn't watched SR on the big screen before that, and amidst all my skepticism, I was really excited to see Superman on the silver screen. Before walking into the theatre, I thought of all that we had discussed here at the boards, and all our complaints, our disappointments, and of course the things we liked about Bryan Singer's production.

I was instantly teleported to 2005, when we were solely concerned with the suit, and the casting of Routh and Bosworth, and speculating how the Return story would be potrayed in SR. All the fanart, all the footage, the promo shots, everything, everything came back to me. I had interviewed Routh, Bosworth and Kevin Spacey back in May, and I felt particularly proud because I was the only one from my country able to achieve what I did.

I smiled to myself, and looked around the theatre, and thought, "I know more about this production than any of the people in this hall."

As the opening sequence rolled in, I felt a shiver down my spine as I was overwhelmed by the S:TM theme, and familiar manner in which the opening credits was executed.

The film, despite it's flaws was entertaining at times, although the things I had seen, and hated before, did rain on my parade. The action sequences in 3D especially the plane sequence was extraordinary. It was the first time that I had ever walked into an IMAX theatre, and I really enjoyed the 3D sequences.

Despite having very few lines, I thought Routh did a convincing job as the Man of Steel. Though some of his dialogue seemed forced, he took a decent crack at it.

Bosworth was okay, to say the least. She lacked spunk, and was no way near Teri Hatcher's Lois. I felt that she looked better than Margot Kidder, but tried a little too hard to give the character a needless twist.

Spacey was by far the best actor in the movie. His Lex was sadistic, smart, and totally brutal. I loved every second of his presence on screen.

I guess I was emotionally touched a lot during SR, especially the scenes of Lex stabbing Superman, and that of Superman in the hospital, and Lois mourning his alleged death. Besides, I loved the scenes at the Daily Planet, with Perry, Jimmy, and Clark.

But despite the spectacular visuals, and the overall cinematic splendour, the movie had some major flaws. These include in short: Superman being father to an illegitimate child, Lex's real estate plan, Lois treating Clark like street filth, the whole homewrecker aspect of the movie, Superman spying on Lois and her family etc. Plus, I never liked the whole "Superman & Son", storyline, but I guess I'll have to make peace with it.

Overall, Superman Returns isn't the perfect movie some of the fans were waiting to see, and it did not capture the public either. The disappointing results at the Box Office indicate SR's failure to bring in the greens. But, Superman Returns is a good movie, not a good "Superman" movie, but a good movie nonetheless.

The only other grudge I have against Bryan Singer's SR - 3D was the lack of 3D scenes. There should have been far more extra footage for the IMAX edition. Well, I guess we can expect more from the sequel.

Your thoughts!

I am glad you posted your thoughts seperately so they weren't buried in another thread.

Thanks for sharing.

I suppose it looked pretty neat in 3D, though having only one really decent eye, I guess I'm not one of those who'd enjoy it much.

I'm curious how this whole adventure into requeling donner's film will be viewed years from now when all this stuff we're discussing now is long forgotten. It's very interesting to wonder how confused some may be by the continuity of the superman saga and such.

Hell the whole movie SHOULD have been CGI for all i care. At least that way I wouldn't have taken it as important in the saga as a live action.

Showtime029 said:
I am glad you posted your thoughts seperately so they weren't buried in another thread.

Thanks for sharing.

. :) .

you still havent given us any update on your Big 3 interview dude ;)

but thanks for posting that. are you supposed to write up a review for your work? would this be it?

your assesment of the film is exactly as many folks here: likes the film but bothered by the flaws.

ah well.... you do know that there will be a sequel coming right?

Steelsheen said:
you still havent given us any update on your Big 3 interview dude ;)

but thanks for posting that. are you supposed to write up a review for your work? would this be it?

your assesment of the film is exactly as many folks here: likes the film but bothered by the flaws.

ah well.... you do know that there will be a sequel coming right?

Interview was published last month. Here's the website address, although I don't think we keep records of too many past editions. Plus, I don't think you can read bengali ;) : www.manabzamin.net

I'll post a transcript from my notes. :)

please do, and in english if possible ;) :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"