• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Superman Returns Superman Returns - the future of the franchise

Steelsheen

Head Geek of Nerdtopia
Reaction score
not sure if this has been posted yet (Mods kindly close or merge if necesarry), but this is an article in which Singer, Routh and Spacey has mentioned something about the sequel, deleted scenes and the DVD:

'Superman Returns' - the future of the franchise
Singer, Spacey and Routh discuss what's next for the Man of Steel.
profile Chris Tilly | Jul 13 2006

image.jpg
'Superman Returns' is without doubt the best blockbuster of the summer thus far, and yesterday I caught up with the director and cast to discuss the potential for a sequel (with slight spoilers).

Superman himself, Brandon Routh, said: 'I want the story to continue where it's going. I think that Superman in another film would be happy at the start, so that would make a nice change. He'd be feeling good about himself, centred, and feel like he belongs, which is important and will make him even more powerful and strong.

'Also now, because of his current state of affairs, he's more connected to the earth, which could also make him more powerful. I don't know how you'd show that, but he has a deeper respect for earth and humanity because of his connection to humanity through blood.

'And I'm an eternal optimist, so I think Superman and Lois should be together at some point. The dramatic way to do that is to wait a while, but I think it might be interesting to find a way for them to get together quickly and still make it interesting to keep it going. It would be a challenge but it would be a breakthrough for films of this nature.'

Sounds like Mr Routh is keen, but what of dastardly villain Lex Luthor, aka Kevin Spacey.

'You have to look at this as chapter one' he told Time Out. 'So if in fact there will be a second one, and they haven't actually told us yet but one would hope, you know it's going to go somewhere – I know Bryan and the writers that we worked with are so clear about things they want to introduce.'

Singer wouldn't be drawn on what those 'things' might be, simply stating: 'I'd be very judicious about bringing in lots of other characters…but I'm very story oriented, so whatever serves the story.'

He was more forthcoming about the current flick however, describing a 2hour 45minute version of 'Superman Returns' that will be released on DVD with several extended scenes and a touching sequence revolving around Clark and his mother Martha on the Kent farm.

More exciting still, the director revealed that he shot a spectacular return to Krypton sequence that was cut form the film, but may end up on a 3D IMAX version of 'Superman Returns' somewhere down the line (for more details of this scene, head to our Brandon Routh interview).

So it sounds like the celluloid future is bright for the Man of Steel. Check back to The TOMB for extended interviews with Singer, Spacey and Routh later this week, and look out for 'Superman Returns' in cinemas from tomorrow.

:supes:

Good find! It would be great to see the extended release of SR in IMAX 3D! I hope they SR in IMAX 3D in my area soon!

Awesome confirmation of a Extended Edition

A 2hour 45minute version of 'Superman Returns' will be released on DVD with several extended scenes and a touching sequence revolving around Clark and his mother Martha on the Kent farm.

& that Krypton Sequence BETTER BE ON THE DVDs

TrailerCues said:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]& that Krypton Sequence BETTER BE ON THE DVDs

unfortunately, based on that article it seemed that the opening Krypton sequence wont be in the DVD but will be on that re-released IMAX.

mighty dissapointed since i was really looking forward to see that sequence since the teaser trailer :mad: :(

Steelsheen said:
unfortunately, based on that article it seemed that the opening Krypton sequence wont be in the DVD but will be on that re-released IMAX.

mighty dissapointed since i was really looking forward to see that sequence since the teaser trailer :mad: :(

it will end up on a dvd at some point.

Maybe they should let Routh and some other guys write the sequel. He always shows an understanding of the character in every interview I read.

Singer cut out scene's like Clark/Martha on the farm and the Krypton scene for sh#tty scenes, such with Burritoes.

Steelsheen said:
unfortunately, based on that article it seemed that the opening Krypton sequence wont be in the DVD but will be on that re-released IMAX

Thats not what I got from that article :confused: All that article said was there DVD will include more scenes & there will be an IMAX Re Release witht he Krypton Scene. Nothing there states that that sequence will not be on DVD

retconned said:
Singer cut out scene's like Clark/Martha on the farm and the Krypton scene for sh#tty scenes, such with Burritoes.

I liked the burrito scene, actually.:O

I thought it was a nod to Motown Marvel. :D

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
it will end up on a dvd at some point.

that's what i was wondering about, if SR will follow the LOTR style where they have the "Theatrical Version" and a "Special Extended Editon". lots of films has followed that marketing style since then. frankly i'm getting tired of buying two versions of the same movie just so that i can get all the extra stuff.

The Sage said:
Maybe they should let Routh and some other guys write the sequel. He always shows an understanding of the character in every interview I read.

haha! now wouldnt that be something? having the rookie you hired simply to act take over the writing job because your current writing team cant get a good handle of the what the character is about ;)

... its not like it hasnt been done before. the only reason why Gandalf got to be so good and faithful onscreen was because McKellen wouldnt stop nagging PJ and the writers to make the old wizard truer to the books, finally they let him in on the script meetings for rewrites and he contributed quite a bit. so for those who loved Gandalf in the movie, a good deal of credit doesnt really go to the writers but to Ian McKellen :D

anway, didnt Routh go to University of Iowa majoring in Writing? he ought to have some talent in that to even make it into the program.

Steelsheen said:
that's what i was wondering about, if SR will follow the LOTR style where they have the "Theatrical Version" and a "Special Extended Editon". lots of films has followed that marketing style since then. frankly i'm getting tired of buying two versions of the same movie just so that i can get all the extra stuff.

thats what being a fan is all about..i buy the first copy to keep me happy..the extended to see what haapens.:)

retconned said:

Actually, that scene was kind of funny. I don't think it was a case of choosing that small sequence over the longer Krypton sequence. Doesn't sound logical.

Steelsheen said:
haha! now wouldnt that be something? having the rookie you hired simply to act take over the writing job because your current writing team cant get a good handle of the what the character is about ;)

... its not like it hasnt been done before. the only reason why Gandalf got to be so good and faithful onscreen was because McKellen wouldnt stop nagging PJ and the writers to make the old wizard truer to the books, finally they let him in on the script meetings for rewrites and he contributed quite a bit. so for those who loved Gandalf in the movie, a good deal of credit doesnt really go to the writers but to Ian McKellen :D

anway, didnt Routh go to University of Iowa majoring in Writing? he ought to have some talent in that to even make it into the program.

That would be great. I just get the feeling from his interviews that Routh has a great idea of where to take the character. First in the Wizard interview(where he talks about Superman doing more than just saving, but passing on wisdom through example), now this one. I think he's done better in talking about the movie and character than the writers.

And judging from Spacey's interview in Wizard, I think he also has a great idea of where to take Lex.

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
thats what being a fan is all about..i buy the first copy to keep me happy..the extended to see what haapens.:)

hey you dont have to convince me on what makes a crazy, dedicated fan dude ;). you're talking to a fan who has every VHS/LD/DVD version of every Star Wars film ever released :O, did and will do the exact same thing for the LOTR trilogy (Theatrical and Special Extended Editions). did it for the original Superman movies, even if i knew they're probably gonna release better versions of these very soon. i have every Batman film except Clooney's version (sorry i have my limits). expensive? ooohhh yeah you have no idea :(

its just that reviewing the 2005 SDCC footage there was a fan there who commented that it was a drag to see only a partial version in the theaters because scenes had to be taken out due to running time. the fan said if that's the case might as well not go to the theaters and just get it on DVD, which will have the version the director wanted to release in the first place. makes a whole lot of sense really.

gimmen64 said:
Good find! It would be great to see the extended release of SR in IMAX 3D! I hope they SR in IMAX 3D in my area soon!

makes me kinda wonder when the re-release will be, and if that can help boost SR's overall BO standing. IIRC, the only reason why Titanic nearly reached $2B was because they released it twice within a span of a few months.

Showtime029 said:
Actually, that scene was kind of funny. I don't think it was a case of choosing that small sequence over the longer Krypton sequence. Doesn't sound logical.

I was just using that as an example of the finished film containing many meaningless moments when the actual character building material was cut from the picture.

Thats whats not logical, considering it's supposed to be a character driven film.

The Sage said:

Great suggestion.

If Routh wants make Superman his own, he needs to do a lot of research on the character. Must understand why Superman has been around so long and why the world loves him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"