The Amazing Spider-Man 2 TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies - Part 1

How does everyone think TASM2 will do up against the other 2014 Marvel movies that are coming out, critically and commercially? Cap 2, DOFP, and GotG are all looking really good and unique and imo in comparison TASM2 doesn't sound as ambitious or out there as any of them. I remember Shikamaru being worried about TASM2 being showed by other Marvel movies. I dismissed it before but now I'm starting to reconsider.

Just something to note, it looks like TASM2 trailer is pretty much catching up the view count for DOFP, and will most likely exceed it. Not really a surprise if you ask me.

How does everyone think TASM2 will do up against the other 2014 Marvel movies that are coming out, critically and commercially? Cap 2, DOFP, and GotG are all looking really good and unique and imo in comparison TASM2 doesn't sound as ambitious or out there as any of them. I remember Shikamaru being worried about TASM2 being showed by other Marvel movies. I dismissed it before but now I'm starting to reconsider.
I don't think CA: TWS looks nearly as ambitious as TASM2. Maybe I can call it unique since we have never really had a political CBM before. Oh wait, there was V for Vendetta…

DOFP looks like it will be very ambitious, but its hard to tell. I'm not excited for it anymore though. It seems like just another generic action film courtesy of FOX, with some time travel.

TASM2 is certainly at the top of my list of movies for 2014.

Last edited:
I dunno why there's a sudden need for Spiderman to go over the top. CA looks like it's doing what it should do. Guardians of the Galaxy looks like it's doing what it should do. I'm not too sure about Days of Future Past.... I would think that'd be the movie that'll irk people more than Spiderman, because it's using Wolverine as the sole plot point. And Amazing Spiderman 2 looks to be doing what Spiderman does. Whether it pays off is pretty much up to what people see.

Last edited:
For the most part I do agree with that. Its hard to say one film is more ambitious than the other especially at this point when we only have some trailers.

I think it's easy to forget we are living in the golden age of comic book movies right now. I feel so fortuante to be around while these movies are coming out, so I get excited for most CMB's that come out. As a kid growing up in the 90's I would dream of these days....

That said, Spidey is leagues above all the other characters out there imo, so I always get uber ampped when he has a new movie coming out. And this one looks like it could be the best spidey flick yet. So while I will see all the others next year, I'm confident I'll enjoy ASM2 the most by a wide margin, and that it will smash the others at the BO as well. Hope they all rock though!

I think it's easy to forget we are living in the golden age of comic book movies right now. I feel so fortuante to be around while these movies are coming out, so I get excited for most CMB's that come out. As a kid growing up in the 90's I would dream of these days....

That said, Spidey is leagues above all the other characters out there imo, so I always get uber ampped when he has a new movie coming out. And this one looks like it could be the best spidey flick yet. So while I will see all the others next year, I'm confident I'll enjoy ASM2 the most by a wide margin, and that it will smash the others at the BO as well. Hope they all rock though!
Thats true but what I can't stand is alot of people are turning this into a contest and I dont like that one bit

It really shouldn't be a contest. I hope all do great, though I'm looking forward to TASM2 most.

exactly, it's awesome we even have 4 huge marvel movies coming out next year! My childhood dreams come true.

Yeah as a comic fan I imagine it's easier for us to accept these movies exisiting alongside each other. If you walk inside a comic shop, you can find the Avengers for the biggest threats and conflicts, Spider-Man in all kinds of genre of stories, Captain America can be a super hero espionage thriller, or a dimension jumping super hero sci-fi, depending on the writer.

But movies constantly have to top the last big thing, or be deemed a failure, plus the fact that they are all rival studios. For the general audience I think all the super hero flicks lump together, so the different films have to fight for peoples attention.

I don't think CA: TWS looks nearly as ambitious as TASM2. Maybe I can call it unique since we have never really had a political CBM before. Oh wait, there was V for Vendetta…

DOFP looks like it will be very ambitious, but its hard to tell. I'm not excited for it anymore though. It seems like just another generic action film courtesy of FOX, with some time travel.

TASM2 is certainly at the top of my list of movies for 2014.
lol at replying to the original OP post :funny:

Also, bumping since we're getting closer to movie season. As of now, my excitement stands

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (although I've already seen it)
3. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past

Although I'm really looking forward to all 4 and think they will all be good now. That said, people who don't follow this stuff closely don't realize just how layered Cap 2 and how ambitious it is. It is more ambitious than TASM2, I'm sorry. If you ever bother watching the movie, you'll see why. The trailers don't tell half the story...or even a quarter. TASM2 looks really good and definitely looks like it will have really good action sequences, a lot of fanservice for comic fans, and a good streamlined story, but that's not enough to make it more ambitious than Cap 2. Cap 2 has several shocking reveals that affect and changes the ENTIRE MCU, not hyperbole whatsoever, among the backdrop of some really good, grounded action, a truly terrifying villain (Winter Soldier is literally intimidating every time he shows up and you really feel the weight of the character without him even saying much), Robert Redford, and juggling 20 characters masterfully all in a MGS/Tom Clancy tone.

I've been pretty much spoiled on all the stuff in TASM2, and even Gwen's death and the stuff with Norman (even though it's creepy as ****) just isn't going to outdo what happens in Cap 2. Like I said though, that's not a knock on TASM2 and Spidey is still my favorite character, and I think TASM2 is probably going to be the best pure Spidey movie we've ever had, but I'm almost certain Cap is just going to outdo it for me. It's just almost impossible for TASM2 to live up to the weight of Cap 2.

My list:

1. Days of Future Past
  2. Amazing Spider-Man 2
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy
  4. Sin City: A Dame To Kill For
  5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

People who don't follow this stuff closely don't realize just how layered Cap 2 and how ambitious it is. It is more ambitious than TASM2, I'm sorry. If you ever bother watching the movie, you'll see why. The trailers don't tell half the story...or even a quarter. TASM2 looks really good and definitely looks like it will have really good action sequences, a lot of fanservice for comic fans, and a good streamlined story, but that's not enough to make it more ambitious than Cap 2

You're judging the final complete movie of Cap 2 against the trailers and clips of ASM2 while also saying that trailers and clips don't fully show how great a movie can be.

Last edited:
My list is
1 TASM 2
2. GotG
3. Cap 2
4. DoFP

Spider-man has always been my favourite and I enjoyed the first movie, I'm excited for GotG since its something new and not just a sequel, also Chris Pratt is in it. I've never really been a fan of Captain America because i'm not american but I enjoyed the first movie, and I haven't seen any x-men movies past 2 if I have time I'l try to watch them this week and maybe I'll be more excited for DoFP.

You're judging the final complete movie of Cap 2 against the trailers and clips of ASM2 while also saying that the trailers and clips don't fully show how great a movie can be.
I'm pretty much completely spoiled on nearly everything that happens in TASM2, I have a very good sense of the tone and how awesome the fighting scenes are, all in all I have a very good picture for how the film is going to turn out and it will be awesome in itself and one of the best of the summer I'm sure, might even end up being the best Spidey movie, it just won't be enough to dethrone Cap 2 FOR ME. What happens in that film is a revelation and it happens in the backdrop of what is legitimately one of the best CBMs ever made, as not only a comic book adaptation but a pure film in general, and I don't ever throw around hyperbole like that unless it's truly warranted. TASM2 would have to do something incredible that I don't already know about (...which is basically nothing) to edge out Cap 2, and it's not happening.

No matter which movie (X-Men DOFP or Cap America 2) is better than TASM 2, TASM 2 will easily outperform them both at worldwide box office charts, due to Spider-Man's insanely huge popularity in Asia.

No matter which movie (X-Men DOFP or Cap America 2) is better than TASM 2, TASM 2 will easily outperform them both at worldwide box office charts, due to Spider-Man's insanely huge popularity in Asia.

[YT]yPN34_IkUH0[/YT]

I love EVERYTHING I've seen from Captain America: The Winter Soldier so far. Everything. With that said, I haven't been this excited for a film since The Avengers, so no other film has me at hello like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 does. I believe that Cap is awesome and quite possibly one of the best of the genre, but I believe that TASM2 can go even bigger.

Can't wait for both, as for anticipating levels:

1. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (more than I've anticipated any film in my life, The Avengers included)
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past

I believe that the box office for the four of them will get very similar to my anticipation levels as well.

If I were to break it down, Cap has a very good story, I believe Spidey will also have a very good story but I would give Cap the edge because of the conspiracy that is revealed and just how deep it goes into the rabbit hole of the MCU. Obviously Spidey has some conspiratorial stuff going on itself, but nothing revealed in the movie will be more shocking or really impactful as what happens in Cap 2. Also, the themes and stories of Cap 2 are way more relevant to what we're dealing with as a country today (as should be apt for a film named Captain America) and it just holds way more weight to me than what will be happening in TASM2, which will put that kind of stuff as subtleties at best.

In terms of characters, Cap hits on all cyllenders for the main characters (Cap, Widow, Falcon, Winter Soldier, Alexander Pierce, Fury, Rumlow) and gives every single side character in the film an awesome moment without feeling forced and fits in the flow of the story, and it's a cast of characters that numbers over 20. TASM2, it looks like, will get Peter/Spidey, Gwen, Harry, Electro, all great as well and in some ways the fact that it's a more tight knit group helps it. I would say the films will end up being about equal in the character category although I'll be surprised if Electro ends up being as good a villain as Winter Soldier, who is now in the top 5 villains all time in CBM history to me (along with both Jokers, Superman II Zod, and Loki).

In terms of tone, it's clearly not really objectionably comparable because they're two completely different types of movies, and I like what both are doing, but for my money, I like Cap's tone that has never really been done in a CBM before and it's captured perfectly by the Russos. Webb would have to capture the tone in TASM2 perfectly for it to even begin to be in the conversation with Cap 2 for me, and even if it did and all things are equal, I'd have to give the nod to Cap 2 simply off of how unique it is for a Hollywood blockbuster.

In terms of action and visuals, again, completely different styles. TASM2 is diving head first into the big spectacle and fantastical battle scenes, which obviously works for Spidey, while Cap is a far more grounded approach up until the third act. The action in Cap 2 is breathtaking and I think TASM2 will end up being just as good as it action wise in what it is doing based off of all the things Sony has shown, so I will give it to both of them here.

Finally, and this ties back to character, the villains. Both films have multiple "main" villains and while I legitimately can't comment on this area until I see TASM2 and get an entire feel for Harry and Electro, I CAN comment on Cap 2's villains and their both amazing, especially Winter Soldier. Like I said he's up there with the best CBM villains now. He really is intimidating when you see him on the screen and brings a really grandios performance while saying very little. He's relentless and really creepy, and despite that the human side of the character still comes through. Pierce...well I don't want to go into that since it will spoil too much, but Redford is awesome, lets just put it that way, and the fact he's active in the film automatically gives him a 1-up on Norman. It's Redford on his A-Game, and you can tell he really had fun being on the villain side of a 70s conspiracy story. 'nuffsaid. Electro will have to blow me away for him to get put over either of those two.

I just can't see TASM2 outdoing Cap 2 overall to me. Like I said, there would have to be something major that I don't know about right now that happens in the film for it have a chance, and that's not happening.

Last edited:
Well no doubt, I'm not really making that argument. Well...probably. I don't think Cap 2 will outgross TASM2, but I think it may end up being a lot closer than people are expecting at least. I can see Cap 2 doing $700m+ right now based on how good it is, the only reason it won't is either because the April slot will end up holding it back or foreign audiences will just never get into a character named Captain America. Because just based on the movie's merits alone, it's every bit as good as the first Iron Man and Avengers.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Mr. Dent, and I do believe that Cap will have an impressive run at the box office and get quite considerable critic acclaim, but I also believe that TASM2 will not only get that, but become the TDK of the Spider-Man franchise.

I quite honestly believe that TASM2 can become the best and biggest Spider-Man film of all time, and one of this genre's very best. So while I believe that Cap can be even better than TA, IM3 and IM, I feel that TASM2 is coming and it'll be a sight to be seen.

It's a shame that you've spoiled yourself to the point that you think that you know what will happen in TASM2, I'm proud of myself for managing to stay spoiler free from both Cap and Spidey new films, so I don't know the plot for either of them. I reckon that both showed too much footage, so it's not about they showing too much, it's how much we allow to get ourselves spoiled.

My top 5 villains:

1. Magneto (both versions)
  2. Doc Ock
  3. Joker
  4. Zod
  5. The Yellow Bastard

I appreciate your enthusiasm, Mr. Dent, and I do believe that Cap will have an impressive run at the box office and get quite considerable critic acclaim, but I also believe that TASM2 will not only get that, but become the TDK of the Spider-Man franchise.

I quite honestly believe that TASM2 can become the best and biggest Spider-Man film of all time, and one of this genre's very best. So while I believe that Cap can be even better than TA, IM3 and IM, I feel that TASM2 is coming and it'll be a sight to be seen.
I definitely see that possibility in TASM2 to be the best of the Spidey franchise, but I wouldn't call it the TDK of it just because it's such a different type of movie and what made TDK a phenomena really has no part in TASM2 at all. What makes me hesitant to say this movie will really set the BO on fire (you know, outside of what Spidey usually does lol) is the domestic fatigue for the character. A part of me thinks no matter how good the film is there is a ceiling for the domestic gross at around $300 million just because it's another Spider-Man movie.

It's a shame that you've spoiled yourself to the point that you think that you know what will happen in TASM2, I'm proud of myself for managing to stay spoiler free from both Cap and Spidey new films, so I don't know the plot for either of them. I reckon that both showed too much footage, so it's not about they showing too much, it's how much we allow to get ourselves spoiled.
It's just a side effect of following this stuff on places like /co/ and reddit, and even CBM. You can't avoid any spoilers that come up, it's just something I live with now. Can't resist talking about the stuff on those sites because it's fun (other than CBM, you get spoiled there just by looking at comments in random articles) but it backfires a lot. I could probably piece together the entire TASM2 film, put a bet on it with you, and end up being right at this point. I mentally stop myself from doing it just to try and maintain some semblance of freshness when I go see it in May. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"