The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Official TASM2 Costume Thread!! - Part 1

You need to explain why you felt the crane scene was superior to the bridge scene in SM1 and the train scene in SM2. I'm no big defender of Raimi's Spider-Man films, but those moments were standouts to me. I think they are the heart of what Raimi was doing with the character and helped define the franchise.

What does the crane scene mean thematically to ASM?

You need to explain why you felt the crane scene was superior to the bridge scene in SM1 and the train scene in SM2. I'm no big defender of Raimi's Spider-Man films, but those moments were standouts to me. I think they are the heart of what Raimi was doing with the character and helped define the franchise.

What does the crane scene mean thematically to ASM?

Thematically crane dad's impact was far greater on the bridge where he his holding his son and saying 'my son, my son' and even beneath the mask you can see feel what it means to Peter and what he has missed (even though that is terribly unfair to Uncle Ben).

On the hand the swinging (especially in 3D) was in-freaking-credible but the device to bring the cranes about was beyond clunky. If you 'had' to have crane dad come back and help out Spidey there must have been a better way of doing it.

Raimi's train scene and bridge scene in SM1 & 2 were groan worthy cheesy, I'm sorry but it's true. Amongst other groan worthy cheesy moments in all 3 films.

Raimi's train scene and bridge scene in SM1 & 2 were groan worthy cheesy, I'm sorry but it's true. Amongst other groan worthy cheesy moments in all 3 films.

Is Spider-Man the only superhero movie where the people consistently rise up to help the hero?

Never understood that myself. It's like there's a LIST (unmasking/people helping hero/villains related to Peter) of things that has to be put into the movie or it's not a Spider-Man film to Sony. If it's in the sequel I'm gonna strangle the writers, producers and director.

Last edited:
Is Spider-Man the only superhero movie where the people consistently rise up to help the hero?

Never understood that myself.

Not that I’m really defending the cheesier instances in the films, but more than any other superhero, Spider-Man is synonymous with New York and New Yorkers. I don’t count Batman and Superman in this, as their cities do not exist. You can pick practically any character in comics, and move them to a new location and they will work fine. Spider-Man isn’t the same. NYC is as much a character in Spider-Man’s world as any friend or foe. “Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man” isn’t just a nickname – it’s a statement about the character and his relationship with the city in which he exists. If you look in the comics, there are countless, COUNTLESS examples of Spidey interacting with the populace – from funny conversations, to cheers of encouragement, and yes, even attempts to physically help the web head (a cabbie helping get Spidey to safety after a thorough beat down during the Morlun arc comes to mind).

I don’t think it’s a bad thing that we see this in the movies. I do, however wish they were handled with more care and subtlety, however.

Yo, is any of this discussion even about the costume any more...? Lol.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing that we see this in the movies. I do, however wish they were handled with more care and subtlety, however.
...or how about leaving it out of ONE movie out of FIVE come TASM 2.

Eh. I rather like Spidey's interaction with New Yorkers. In the comics anyway. There's a scene in a comic that I really love and would be excited to see play out on screen. A guy is out on his balcony one night eating popcorn when Spidey casually strolls past with his hands innocently clasped together (that walk on the wall, standing horizontal thing he does). They look at each other like there was nothing strange, and Peter asks, "that popcorn?"

Guy says "yup."

Spidey asks what kind of popcorn, and the guy matter of factly tells him, offering some. Scene cuts to Spidey sitting on top of a building picking popcorn out if his teeth, complaining about the corn in pop corn.

It's a simple, odd little scene, funny in the fact that both characters act like their conversation is totally normal, even though one of them is a superhero clinging to a wall.

I don't mind Spidey interacting with New Yorkers, but just kickback on them helping him out and the unmasking.

You have to unmask in the movie or the actor can't emote. So go ahead and get all of those expectations out of the way right meow...he's gonna have his mask off a lot.

I get what you're saying, but there are scenes and ways to handle that where it isn't a problem. I didn't mind his mask being off during the death of Cap Stacy (great acting and facial emotion in that, so you're right). But at the same time, his character was going to die, so it's moot.

I don't like useless unmasking in front of people, where there isn't much need to emote facial expression. Especially, to equate for multiple people seeing who's under the mask. Then it becomes, why not just leave the mask off completely, hell, why even wear the mask all--just have an unmasked Spider-Man running and swinging around all the time.

I would also add, Spider-Man should have two extra masks hidden in each of his boots, where he can pull one out should his mask he's wearing gets damaged.

And wtf, how do you show a facial expression using voice?

It was mostly a way to express how I felt. But yeah I both literally cringed and chuckled at that scene.

Oh, now the train scene was bad? Jesus Christ, what do you people like?

[BLACKOUT] Rhetorical question.[/BLACKOUT]

Eh. I rather like Spidey's interaction with New Yorkers. In the comics anyway. There's a scene in a comic that I really love and would be excited to see play out on screen. A guy is out on his balcony one night eating popcorn when Spidey casually strolls past with his hands innocently clasped together (that walk on the wall, standing horizontal thing he does). They look at each other like there was nothing strange, and Peter asks, "that popcorn?"

Guy says "yup."

Spidey asks what kind of popcorn, and the guy matter of factly tells him, offering some. Scene cuts to Spidey sitting on top of a building picking popcorn out if his teeth, complaining about the corn in pop corn.

It's a simple, odd little scene, funny in the fact that both characters act like their conversation is totally normal, even though one of them is a superhero clinging to a wall.

I love it because it totally feels like something straight from the comics! :up:

Not that I’m really defending the cheesier instances in the films, but more than any other superhero, Spider-Man is synonymous with New York and New Yorkers. I don’t count Batman and Superman in this, as their cities do not exist. You can pick practically any character in comics, and move them to a new location and they will work fine. Spider-Man isn’t the same. NYC is as much a character in Spider-Man’s world as any friend or foe. “Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man” isn’t just a nickname – it’s a statement about the character and his relationship with the city in which he exists. If you look in the comics, there are countless, COUNTLESS examples of Spidey interacting with the populace – from funny conversations, to cheers of encouragement, and yes, even attempts to physically help the web head (a cabbie helping get Spidey to safety after a thorough beat down during the Morlun arc comes to mind).

I totally agree with everything you said there! I love that aspect of Spidey!

I love it because it totally feels like something straight from the comics! :up:
Yeah, it's a great little scene, but speaks volumes about the character. I really liked the JMS and JRJR era of ASM (though, once JRJR left and they got to The Other story line, things started to go down hill).

I'll try and remember to scan that comic page and post it after work if anyone's interested.

So how bout that new costume?...

To be honest, when I first saw the reveal, I was shocked they went pretty classic.
I love the TASM suit and it really grew on me, but now the NEW suit has grown on me.
Since this series is pretty similar to the Ultimates, and draw inspiration from it, I love that they went classic, because it's just classic. It looks straight outta the Ultimate comic book, and that's what I love.
I think Webb is aiming for something visually here, so I don't think the old suit would work in this..

Here ya go. Sorry about the quality - had to use my phone, my scanner is being dumb.

edit - it seems I remembered this slightly differently. I got the last bit mixed up with another JMS issue where Loki appears - Spidey shows him around NYC and there's a funny bit between them sitting on the edge of a building and Spidey is trying to get Loki to eat a hotdog, who is utterly disgusted/confused with the food. Say what you will about JMS's later run on ASM, the dude was a master with the Spidey humor and little scenes like that.

popcorn_1_zpsb6ded970.jpg

popcorn_2_zps29e1d6a5.jpg

And in an effort to keep this on topic, I love JRJR's take on Spider-Man (hell, I love everything about JRJR working on ASM). With his lean frame, and the traditional suit and larger eyes, ASM2 Spidey now looks like he literally stepped out of one of JRJR's illustrations. Compare that last panel of Spidey with any of the set photos we have, and its a great example. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
The positive and negative feedback are a little premature. We haven't seen a full (official) picture yet and haven't seen it in a trailer. We really don't know how it'll look on screen until I'm hoping May (Iron Man 3 release) and if not then attached to MOS.

The positive and negative feedback are a little premature. We haven't seen a full (official) picture yet and haven't seen it in a trailer. We really don't know how it'll look on screen until I'm hoping May (Iron Man 3 release) and if not then attached to MOS.

I completely agree Joe.

I'm in the negative camp currently. But I admit that is due to, for me, set pics that do not make the suit look that good.

BUT, I am desperate for some official promo pics to see how the thing will look in the right way (or superior set pics at least lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"