The Amazing Spider-Man 2 TASM2 vs. Other Marvel 2014 Movies - Part 1

Anywho, back on topic.

I think the biggest problem with TASM2 is that it is by no means one of the worst comic films made (it's not nearly bad enough to be put in that same bracket) but that it's one of the most disappointing. The problem is that they got so many things very, very right that we got this little glow of hope...and then they got others so very, very wrong. It showed us that it had the potential to be great, only to take it away. And as such, it's one of the most disappointing comic films I've ever watched. Especially disappointing for me as a Spider-man fan, because I have yet to get what I consider a truly satisfying Spider-man film.
:(

Totally agree. They nailed the suit and the swinging, and Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are fantastic actors. I even thought Electro, the Green Goblin, and Rhino looked pretty good. Unlike a lot of people here, I enjoyed the score too, minus the random whispering in My Enemy. It's a shame al that had to be let down by the writing.

Well, since the screenplay is a film's "Bible", i'd say that was a pretty big letdown. Filmmaking is the art of bringing a screenplay to life and if the screenplay isn't good... I'm afraid that i only like this movie because it brought my favorite character to life in such a magnificent way. I just wish the movie was more intelligent. But intelligent CBMs are rare these days anyway. The only franchise that i have respect for right now is the X-Men one.

Well, since the screenplay is a film's "Bible", i'd say that was a pretty big letdown. Filmmaking is the art of bringing a screenplay to life and if the screenplay isn't good... I'm afraid that i only like this movie because it brought my favorite character to life in such a magnificent way. I just wish the movie was more intelligent. But intelligent CBMs are rare these days anyway. The only franchise that i have respect for right now is the X-Men one.

I thought the new Cap film was great, as was the GOTG. So I'd actually disagree. The standard of comic films has greatly risen in the past ten years. With films like TDK, The Avengers, X:FC, X:DOFP, C:TWS, and now GOTG, comic films are being made at an even higher standard than ever before.

I would go so far as to say that is why this film got ripped on as much as it did. It has a lower rating than Spider-man 3 which is quite honestly, ridiculous. But the general audience's standard for comic films has increased since SM3 came out, hence why they're harder on this film than they were on SM3.

TASM2 is the worst CBM of the modern era CBMs (which I consider from 2008-now which marked the beginning of the MCU and The Dark Knight).

Yes, it's even worse then X-Men Origins Wolverine. Is Origins bad? Yes but at least the actors playing Wolverine and Sabbertooth put in 110% in their performance and are badass.

TASM2 is the worst CBM of the modern era CBMs (which I consider from 2008-now which marked the beginning of the MCU and The Dark Knight).

Yes, it's even worse then X-Men Origins Wolverine. Is Origins bad? Yes but at least the actors playing Wolverine and Sabbertooth put in 110% in their performance and are badass.

:down

I'd have to disagree. At least TASM2 had parts in the script that were very good. The movie is worth a watch on the chemistry and scenes between Garfield and Stone alone. I'll give you that Wolverine had a good cast. It really did, but the script was rubbish, the sfx were rubbish, and it barely made sense. On a technical level it's a worse film, and on an artistic level as well.

Even if you're excluding films that came pre-08, Green Lantern is a worse film, XO:W was worse, Jonah Hex was worse, The Spirit, Punnisher: War Zone, The Green Hornet, and the new TMNT.

It's not even the bottom of the barrel from the post 08 crowd.

Last edited:
I thought the new Cap film was great, as was the GOTG. So I'd actually disagree. The standard of comic films has greatly risen in the past ten years. With films like TDK, The Avengers, X:FC, X:DOFP, C:TWS, and now GOTG, comic films are being made at an even higher standard than ever before.

I would go so far as to say that is why this film got ripped on as much as it did. It has a lower rating than Spider-man 3 which is quite honestly, ridiculous. But the general audience's standard for comic films has increased since SM3 came out, hence why they're harder on this film than they were on SM3.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but... i don't really like the MCU. It just feels that they always make the same movie, only with different characters. Style over substance. CAP: TWS was cool, despite the fact that there were some things that bothered me and i haven't seen GOTG yet.

But ever since IM 1, i get the feeling that the folks at Disney have developed a formula that they apply to every single one of their films (at least up until CAP:TWS). And most of the time, the films feel to me like cheap entertainment, more like a commercial for the the "event" film, strapped by an ostentatious ribbon (especially the Phase one films). I also can't understand the obsession that Marvel has on giving us underdeveloped villains. And i think that anyone can agree that if there is one thing that Marvel is terrible at, that is giving us a villain that we can understand and sympathize with. That's why i find extremely ironic the fact that a lot of people say how important a villain is in a CBM and point out how underdeveloped the villains were in TASM 2 (which is a fact), but then praise the MCU films.

Last edited:
I agree that it is not the worst, but it is still an example of a pretty bad one. I agree FF, FF2, XO:W, GL, TMNT, P:WZ, etc are worse. But that isn't much of an accomplishment. This movie was filled with all kinds of problems, and for me, the bad outweigh the good.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but... i don't really like the MCU. It just feels that they always make the same movie, only with different characters. Style over substance. CAP: TWS was cool, despite the fact that there were some things that bothered me and i haven't seen GOTG yet.

But ever since IM 1, i get the feeling that the folks at Disney have developed a formula that they apply to every single one of their films (at least up until CAP:TWS). And most of the time, the films feel to me like cheap entertainment, more like a commercial for the the "event" film, strapped by a an ostentatious ribbon (especially the Phase one films). I also can't understand the obsession that Marvel has on giving us underdeveloped villains. And i think that anyone can agree that if there is one thing that Marvel is terrible at, that is giving us a villain that we can understand and sympathize with. That's why i find extremely ironic the fact that a lot of people say how important a villain is in a CBM and point out how underdeveloped the villains were in TASM 2 (which is a fact), but then praise the MCU films.

Disney wasn't involved in the MCU basically until C:TFA. I think Marvel officially was sold to them when Thor was either filming or about to be filmed.

As for the MCU being bad, 100% disagree, LOL.

Besides IM1,TWS,Guardians and Avengers,the rest of the MCU is pretty meh.

Disney wasn't involved in the MCU basically until C:TFA. I think Marvel officially was sold to them when Thor was either filming or about to be filmed.

As for the MCU being bad, 100% disagree, LOL.

Well, i didn't know that. Thanks.

Yeah, i know you disagree. It is easily concluded by the ratings in your sig. As i said, it's an unpopular opinion and i realize that i am in the minority.

I'd have to disagree. At least TASM2 had parts in the script that were very good. The movie is worth a watch on the chemistry and scenes between Garfield and Stone alone. I'll give you that Wolverine had a good cast. It really did, but the script was rubbish, the sfx were rubbish, and it barely made sense. On a technical level it's a worse film, and on an artistic level as well.

Even if you're excluding films that came pre-08, Green Lantern is a worse film, XO:W was worse, Jonah Hex was worse, The Spirit, Punnisher: War Zone, The Green Hornet, and the new TMNT.

It's not even the bottom of the barrel from the post 08 crowd.

You can disagree but while the chemistry between Emma and Andrew were good, the writing of their relationship was written terribly. In fact these writers are the same ones who wrote Legend of Zorro and in the beginning of that film, Zorro's wife and him separate for no ****ing reason just like how Gwen and Peter break up to begin this film. Then they take the stupid Khan blood they did in Into Darkness and insert it into TASM2. Also let's talk about the beginning scene. What was the point of the scene? Where did the upload to Richard Parker's computer go? Why are we seen rehashed scenes from TASM1?

Green Lantern, while bad, at least told a plot. Beginning, middle, end. It wasn't a ****ing trailer for the next POS film like how Sony is. Sure there was Sinstro but come on, it's Sinistro. It's not like having ****ing Black Cat, Green Goblin, Rhino, Doc Ock, Spider-Slayers, and Vulture nods.

While Punisher War Zone bad, this scene was pretty ****ing badass.

punisher_warzone_shotgun_gif_by_highpotency-d4fxvrs.gif

Also has bad as the new TMNT was, the Turtles were pretty awesome.

aimnt.gif

TASM2 fails at basic story. What is the main villain, what is the plot, what is Spidey's challenge. Every villain in the film has stupid ass motivates. Harry says he's dying of a disease his father had and he lived til he was 65 and Harry is 20, Electro's ********, and Rhino was campy as ****. Unlike those films you mentioned, this film had studio interference written all over it. Webb is in charge of these films and they are failing to grab interest.

TASM2 is a film that tries to be serious but fails epicly.

Justin Timberlake. Social Network.

You can disagree but while the chemistry between Emma and Andrew were good, the writing of their relationship was written terribly. In fact these writers are the same ones who wrote Legend of Zorro and in the beginning of that film, Zorro's wife and him separate for no ****ing reason just like how Gwen and Peter break up to begin this film. Then they take the stupid Khan blood they did in Into Darkness and insert it into TASM2. Also let's talk about the beginning scene. What was the point of the scene? Where did the upload to Richard Parker's computer go? Why are we seen rehashed scenes from TASM1?

Green Lantern, while bad, at least told a plot. Beginning, middle, end. It wasn't a ****ing trailer for the next POS film like how Sony is. Sure there was Sinstro but come on, it's Sinistro. It's not like having ****ing Black Cat, Green Goblin, Rhino, Doc Ock, Spider-Slayers, and Vulture nods.

While Punisher War Zone bad, this scene was pretty ****ing badass.

Also has bad as the new TMNT was, the Turtles were pretty awesome.

TASM2 fails at basic story. What is the main villain, what is the plot, what is Spidey's challenge. Every villain in the film has stupid ass motivates. Harry says he's dying of a disease his father had and he lived til he was 65 and Harry is 20, Electro's ********, and Rhino was campy as ****. Unlike those films you mentioned, this film had studio interference written all over it. Webb is in charge of these films and they are failing to grab interest.

TASM2 is a film that tries to be serious but fails epicly.

TMNT had good scenes, P:WZ had good scenes but overall the films were clearly inferior. The same with XO:Wolverine. And TASM2 had a basic plot. It was just rushed. Similar to GL, but it actually handled the studio interference better than GL did. GL was still over-stuffed as well.

Again, I understand disliking this film, but the point still stands that it's clearly better than the films I've just mentioned. And that's not including some of the truly bad Superhero films made, (94 F4, Batman and Robin, Steel, Tank Girl, Elektra, All the Ghost Riders, the other two Punishers, the 90's Cap film ect). This film had issues, but I would put it about on par with MOS. An average film with glimpses of greatness, but overall the studio was too focused on creating a universe than making a good film, and crammed too much into the film.

I thought Man of Steel was a LOT better. That at least had Jor-El, aka the Greatest Man EVER! No one else can ride flying dinosaurs during explosions with robot sidekicks, or fix their reporductive issues by being awesome.

But ever since IM 1, i get the feeling that the folks at Disney have developed a formula that they apply to every single one of their films (at least up until CAP:TWS). And most of the time, the films feel to me like cheap entertainment, more like a commercial for the the "event" film, strapped by an ostentatious ribbon (especially the Phase one films). I also can't understand the obsession that Marvel has on giving us underdeveloped villains. And i think that anyone can agree that if there is one thing that Marvel is terrible at, that is giving us a villain that we can understand and sympathize with. That's why i find extremely ironic the fact that a lot of people say how important a villain is in a CBM and point out how underdeveloped the villains were in TASM 2 (which is a fact), but then praise the MCU films.

I actually agree with you. I was very frustrated with the MCU before this summer. They gave us IM1, great film. Then they gave is IM2, Cap, and Thor. All were fine...but very formulaic. They didn't take any risks. None were bad...but they were just very...bland.

Then they gave us Avengers, which I thought was amazing. It knew what it was an did it amazingly well.

But then Thor 2 and IM3 came out and it was status quo again.

But then Cap 2 came out. Cap 2 shook up the formula. It adopted a thriller/spy tone, finally doing something different. On top of that, they made a change that fundamentally shook up the marvel universe, which ws something they were previously scared to do (make any big lasting changes to their world). On top of that, it was a damn fine film. Cap also gives us the best developed villains I think (because I agree, none of the Marvel films....sans Thor developed the villains well). Pierce may not have a ton of screen time, but his logic is frighteningly understandable. And I think Loki was developed wonderfully, and not just because he was in two films. He was great in Thor.

And GOTG is one of the biggest risks I've seen taken by any comic film ever. A barely-known property that is essentially a full comedy, with a ridiculous set of quirky characters. It pokes fun at itself and the genre in general, and they got a director who fit perfectly and let him do his thing. The best way I can describe it is that it's this generations Ghost Busters. A quirky comedy that was a very unique and different spin on a genre that had been around for a while (horror for ghostbusters, comic/sci-fi for Guardians).

So Marvel has really turned it around IMO. Hopefully they keep it up.

I thought Man of Steel was a LOT better. That at least had Jor-El, aka the Greatest Man EVER! No one else can ride flying dinosaurs during explosions with robot sidekicks, or fix their reporductive issues by being awesome.

Haha, right? I love seeing Maximus riding the bats from Avatar:word:

I will say I think MOS juggled the studio interference a bit better. But it still felt over-crammed. And I think they need to figure out their tone better. MOS was a similar feeling of "wow that part was great," with other scenes being, "aww man, really?"

It just feels that the defenders of TASM2 gush over the relationship with Peter and Gwen and make excuses/overlook for the glaring issues.

It just feels that the defenders of TASM2 gush over the relationship with Peter and Gwen and make excuses/overlook for the glaring issues.

I don't think I've been doing that. You can jog over to the TASM2 general discussion thread if you want to see me go more in depth. I fully admit that it has many issues. It does. The parents plot could have been entirely cut, they rushed Harry turning to the goblin, and they didn't earn killing Gwen. It has pacing issues, and it suffered from studio interference. But with some cutting, it could have been a very good film. And that is even worse than if it was all out bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"