• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Teaching English Overseas

Hobgoblin

Veritas veritatum
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was considering taking a job teaching English in South Korea for a year starting in August. I did some research and am not sure its all its cracked up to be. Have any of you taught over seas or know someone that has? Any advice?

I did a yahoo search and learned that some companies take up to 1/3 of the foreigners pay for their own costs and the foreigner (me) makes between USA $1,2000 and $2,400 a month. Also, foreign teachers are seen as temp help and are treated as such, Granted, the person on yahoo did his translating in Japan and had a family of 4 to care for. I would be alone and in Korea, maybe its different.

I have two good friends who are in South Korea at the Seoul English Village teaching. They both speak highly about it and say it's a great experience. They had to sign a one year contract and have just resigned another year. Since they resigned, the school paid for them to fly back to the states for a vacation. They take good care of them there.

teaching english helps you appreciate your language much better
and you get to meet very interesting people

I'm gonna do it in a year or two after I get my major in English Literature. I plan on going to Japan with a friend.

Hi all,
I was considering taking a job teaching English in South Korea for a year starting in August. I did some research and am not sure its all its cracked up to be. Have any of you taught over seas or know someone that has? Any advice?

I did a yahoo search and learned that some companies take up to 1/3 of the foreigners pay for their own costs and the foreigner (me) makes between USA $1,2000 and $2,400 a month. Also, foreign teachers are seen as temp help and are treated as such, Granted, the person on yahoo did his translating in Japan and had a family of 4 to care for. I would be alone and in Korea, maybe its different.

Only a year? I say do it. It'd be a great experience.

My concern is that its a kind of scam. They get you to come over there and then its not what they make it out to be. I dont want to go half way around the world to be seen as disposable and have a third of my pay taken by the company. :csad::cmad:

Not that I expect it to be a vacation but I just dont want to get screwed.

My concern is that its a kind of scam. They get you to come over there and then its not what they make it out to be. I dont want to go half way around the world to be seen as disposable and have a third of my pay taken by the company. :csad::cmad:

Not that I expect it to be a vacation but I just dont want to get screwed.

That could happen, but it would only be a year.

Most of the dudes that do that are basically going over to score some easy ass.

Not that I would do such a thing...I mean, I've heard that's what they do. :dry:

Demogoblin is going to come back with a Korean wife.

Oh Lord, I can barely speak English coherently. My Korean wife wouldnt have a shot at understanding me.

Maybe I'll meet some hot English, Australian, South African babes. *growl*

Oh Lord, I can barely speak English coherently. My Korean wife wouldnt have a shot at understanding me.

Maybe I'll meet some hot English, Australian, South African babes. *growl*

Mayhaps English teacher isn't the best job for you. :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"