Teen Titans/Titans Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only real hope is that Lobdell, who was one of the masterminds behind the time travel hijinks and reboots at Marvel in the 1990s, uses his walking plot device and Villain Sue Harvest to erase this entire tenure from continuity, and then follows it up by writing a good origin for Tim Drake in Secret Origins #3. He could do it, he seems aware of the flaws with the run, and it seem the best way to clear the deck for a new team.

Yeah, I am a little conflicted when i try and think of solutions. On one hand they can just try and rebuild from what they have, but it would be crippled because these characters are already established even if they are poorly written. Its so messed up that it would be hard to fix. Then on the other hand they can sorta do what you were saying and essentially erase all this nonsense from continuity. Starting from scratch can be a great way to rebuild, however having a reboot for these characters after a universe-wide reboot barely over 2 years ago is a little sketch, especially since Superboy already has ties to Superman and Supergirl's continuities, same thing with Red Robin and Batman etc.

However I dont really care how its done, i still want some sort of young justice title. Even though it had its problems I kept on it religiously every month.

so it seems Raven will be a Native American shaman?

she looks a bit Native American in that group image, and the synopsis blurb mentioned "shamans."

also, who's the hooded/robed figure. At first, I thought that was Raven again. but it wouldn't make sense to have her appear twice.

is that supposed to be Starfire??!!

I am calling it right now. New Teen Titans title with Kenneth Rocafort on art. I wager 10 imaginary dollars.

What New 52 Teen Titians costume redesign do you like best? Mines Wonder Girl, it's one of Cassie's better costume designs. It's definitely better than Superboy's or some of the other TT DCnU redesigns.

The better question is "which costume redesign to you hate the most?" which is obviously.....RAVEN!!!! Why did they go this route? She looks hideous now! Ugh.

I did not like any of them. Wonder Girls was only good when she armored up.

so...........Teen Titans to be "relaunched" this July:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/298109-dc-comics-to-relaunch-teen-titans-once-again-this-july

Will include only 5 Members: Red Robin, Wonder Girl, Raven, Bunker, and Beast Boy.

teentitanscover.jpg

"We’re really trying to do something different with this series, to look at superheroes from a different angle and explore their lives in a whole new way," Pfeifer said. "If they existed in our desperate-for-entertainment world, superheroes would be the biggest celebrities on the planet, the focus of all sorts of unwanted attention and threats of all kinds. Having a group of teens navigate that sort of world – while, at the same time they’re trying to save it – is the sort of comic book I’d want to read – even if I weren’t writing it."

guess it sounds like a total reboot?? :huh:

but they still kept the god-awful Raven costume...........:csad:

but it looks like Beast Boy's green again.......lol.

I am calling it right now. New Teen Titans title with Kenneth Rocafort on art. I wager 10 imaginary dollars.

Totally called it. Someone owes me 10 imaginary dollars

*reaches into imaginary pocket! hands over ten imaginary dollars plus lint*

Gotcha covered.

I'm not exactly pessimistic about this book, but I love the YJ4, not the YJ2, and I'll probably get my Tim Drake fix from Batman: Eternal if there's absolutely no attempt to rectify the crimes committed against Solstice, Bart Allen, Conner Kent, Tim Drake, and my poorly abused brain.

Still, if my reboot theory turns out correct, count me in at least the first issue.

yeah, the problem for me is the cover. Cause guess what everyone is talking about? (Hint: it doesn't have to do with Red Robin, Bunker, Raven, or Beast Boy!)

Still, I'm hopefully this will turn around the series, it was ok for me, my first Teen Titans series, but it could've been a LOT better.

They couldn't even give them new costumes? Are they poor or something?

yeah, the problem for me is the cover. Cause guess what everyone is talking about? (Hint: it doesn't have to do with Red Robin, Bunker, Raven, or Beast Boy!)

Still, I'm hopefully this will turn around the series, it was ok for me, my first Teen Titans series, but it could've been a LOT better.

New52 TT was your first TT series? That is so sad that you had to endure such an atrocity

so it seems Raven will be a Native American shaman?

she looks a bit Native American in that group image, and the synopsis blurb mentioned "shamans."

also, who's the hooded/robed figure. At first, I thought that was Raven again. but it wouldn't make sense to have her appear twice.

is that supposed to be Starfire??!!
You mean Equinox, the new Cree superhero?

uy0toJS.jpg

They couldn't even give them new costumes? Are they poor or something?

New52 TT was your first TT series? That is so sad that you had to endure such an atrocity

I thank you for your sympathy. I grew up on the Teen Titans cartoons, and they were awesome. Then when I got into comics, it wasn't the right time to jump in (storylines and all that) it was the same with Justice League. So when the New 52 happened, I totally jumped in.

Again, it was ok, and I got to learn about characters I hadn't really known before like Wonder Girl, but some of it was just too on-the-nose and some of it didn't make any sense to be honest.

here's hoping this new one will step it up. Cause I don't want to drop Teen Titans from my read list.

Oh, and I STILL hate the Raven costume. When I get to make my SHAZAM! TV series, Raven (who is a recurring character) will have her classic outfit....or at least her classic TT cartoon outfit.

I don't know why I'm abnormally loyal to Teen Titans. I only picked it up because I felt like I had to if I wanted to read Superboy. Maybe it was because i was a fan of the teen titans show. I also LOVED young justice and it was a tragedy that it was cancelled. I hope they have some story that explains a reboot, sort of how Flashpoint led into the New 52

from what I've read, the continuity will still be the same from the TT series that's ending.

how they'll explain the new direction.........who knows........

She's Canadian and not a shaman... So no.
Well, technically being a Cree she is a Native American. Though as of today, I can see why that term is rarely used over here. :o

from what I've read, the continuity will still be the same from the TT series that's ending.

how they'll explain the new direction.........who knows........

if thats the case, i wonder how beast boy turns green.

What a mess, Teen Titans havent been good since before OYL, thats like early 2000's for you youngins.

Johns' run wasn't bad.

I'm interested in this new take, and I'd like to read it... But I hate the way they changed Tim and I can't handle his costume. I loved his pre-New 52 Red Robin suit. Also, I don't know **** about Bunker, aside from the fact that he's gay. Right? I think I read that he was gay, but I can't remember for sure. And Raven...Poor, poor Raven.

Last edited:
The Tim Drake change rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Bunker I think was introduced in this TT run (the one going currently) cause I don't remember him from any other books, thus why I think he's a new character.

And yes, he's gay.

And double yes, poor, poor Raven.

One of the issues with the current Titans roster is that a lot of their fans enjoyed Young Justice the comic better, and while Geoff Johns was the last great run on the series, he also set a precedent for a serious and angsty tone for the series that no one's broken from. He could pull it off. Nobody else has come close. And Tim, Bart, Casie, and Conner fans just don't gel all that well with a serious NTT and X-Men throwback that editorial seems to think is the series godsend.

Instead, I want to see some young heroes become friends first and a team as an accidental consequence of that, where there's a bit of a devil-may-care attitude to some of their interactions and where playful ribbing and pranks are just as important as teamwork and understanding. That was part of the original Teen Titans premise way back when, the core principle of PAD's awesome Young Justice series, and a significant factor in the best parts of the TV show.

It's also been ignored by most modern versions of the Teen Titans. There's a reason why Geoff Johns' run was both the last great run on the title and yet also a limiting move by management; Johns is the best there is at his style of writing, and trying I copy him in making the characters super-serious and angsty blew up in every following creator's face. And yet, throwing in some YJ-style friendship moments gave us engaging and fun blips on the book's radar:

-Bart taking the Batmobile for a ride remains one of the few inarguably funny scenes from Johns' run.
-Bryan Q. Miller's editorially-screwed run had the awesome double date sequence and an excellent down-time subplot compared to the mandated "kill Kid Devil now!" moment.
-And even Scott Lobdell tapped into this a bit, before the book took its final nose-dive. Bunker always seems like a Young Justice throwback (gasp, he's an entertaining and self-aware hero who enjoys his life!) and Bart pre-butchering (making a flirty joke while rescuing two of his female teammates and also impulsively assisting the Joker's attack, anyone?)

Throwing in this element allows for some serious drama because it's always contrasted with the fun and sometimes point-blank ridiculous elements of their world; Harm getting shot by his father is astoundingly dark compared to his 1960's style Beetle clue about murdering the Pope, Secret became terrifying because we saw how powerful she was in funny scenes, and I'll even argue that the reason why Superboy's Luthor programming was so powerful in Johns' run was because we were only a year or so removed from Young Justice, so the even had resonance outside the Titans series.

so I wonder how they are going to explain the new continuity.

I mean.....is all the stuff about Kid Flash's trial gonna be dropped? What about Solstice?

it seems Raven was still working with her father to betray the Titans ( which I hated ). is that angle going to be dropped too?

What new continuity? A new writer is just taking the same characters and doing new things with him. It happens every time there's a new writer on a comic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"