The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

Maybe this is the question that no-one should ask, but I guess the worst that can happen is "I'm not telling you"; why was the old one closed (I saw the requests asking for it, but why)?

The Batman : Harley Quinn paperback, would you guys say this is a good introduction to the character of Harley, are the issues good at all? I've been curious about this for a while and The cover is just gorgeus.

Maybe this is the question that no-one should ask, but I guess the worst that can happen is "I'm not telling you"; why was the old one closed (I saw the requests asking for it, but why)?
Because it was requested AND it was getting a little long in the tooth anyway. If you're asking why it was requested, your guess is as good as mine.

I assume the OP kept getting notifications for every new post in that thread.

The Batman : Harley Quinn paperback, would you guys say this is a good introduction to the character of Harley, are the issues good at all? I've been curious about this for a while and The cover is just gorgeus.
I would go with Batman: Mad Love as your introduction since it's the de-facto origin story of Harley.

Picked up Superman: Worlds at War #2 and the Superman: House of El books today.

The House of El book was pretty great as it shows that Superman ultimately succeeds. There's this cool Arthurian/Game of Thrones vibe going on that I really thought worked, even if I'm incredibly picky with my sword & sorcery.

Worlds at War was cool, even if it left me with a lot of questions regarding how we ended up there and what happened between the end of this story and the beginning of House of El.

Regardless, I'd very much love a mini-series that expanded on the Worlds at War concept with Mikel Janin on art duties. I really loved the Edgar Rice Burroughs/John Carter visuals of a depowered Superman fighting in a colosseum in a really cool pulp-inspired outfit. His speech to Mongul at the end of the book is just too freakin' good to NOT expound upon. I wanna see it.

Dammit, I didn't know this was a Mongul thing. I've been avoiding Future State, but I guess I'll have to check this one out.

Picked up Superman: Worlds at War #2 and the Superman: House of El books today.

The House of El book was pretty great as it shows that Superman ultimately succeeds. There's this cool Arthurian/Game of Thrones vibe going on that I really thought worked, even if I'm incredibly picky with my sword & sorcery.

Worlds at War was cool, even if it left me with a lot of questions regarding how we ended up there and what happened between the end of this story and the beginning of House of El.

Regardless, I'd very much love a mini-series that expanded on the Worlds at War concept with Mikel Janin on art duties. I really loved the Edgar Rice Burroughs/John Carter visuals of a depowered Superman fighting in a colosseum in a really cool pulp-inspired outfit. His speech to Mongul at the end of the book is just too freakin' good to NOT expound upon. I wanna see it.

Absolutly, i was especially surprised by House of El...that was super fun.

It's been announced that Tom King and Bilquis Evely will be doin an 8-part Supergirl series starting in June.

I've always though Evely was a great artist waiting for the right high profile book to cut loose on. I get a lot of Al Williamson/old school pulp vibes from her work and I think King's scripts should give her plenty to work with. Hopefully she's a new addition to King's artist circle.

It seems a bit outside of King's comfort zone but if he can capture Kara's essence the same way he managed to nail Superman in Up In the Sky, this should be something just as special.

Can't wait for it. Evely's art is really great!

It's been announced that Tom King and Bilquis Evely will be doin an 8-part Supergirl series starting in June.

I've always though Evely was a great artist waiting for the right high profile book to cut loose on. I get a lot of Al Williamson/old school pulp vibes from her work and I think King's scripts should give her plenty to work with. Hopefully she's a new addition to King's artist circle.

It seems a bit outside of King's comfort zone but if he can capture Kara's essence the same way he managed to nail Superman in Up In the Sky, this should be something just as special.
Oh s*** oh **** oh ****. Kara so rarely gets the attention of A-list talent. Can’t wait!! :up:

I find it funny that Karas comeback is labeled as SuperGIRL: The Woman of Tomorrow or whatever. All because they dont want to upgrade her to SuperWOMAN. At least use Karen and give her the Superwoman title if ya not going to use it officially.

I find it funny that Karas comeback is labeled as SuperGIRL: The Woman of Tomorrow or whatever. All because they dont want to upgrade her to SuperWOMAN. At least use Karen and give her the Superwoman title if ya not going to use it officially.

I think they mainly dont want to do that because of earth 3 Superwoman.
That could throw people off i guess.
But at some point Supergirl just doesnt fit anymore as a name.
Anyway...Kara finally getting touched by a "bigger" writer...wuhu, give me this right now.
And i do Trust King with a lot outside of the Batman universe, so im super into this already.

Anyway...a new month and that means Future state is over...is it really? God how fast time flies.
It was really good, never would have thought that...90% of it was really enjoyable.

Now lets see what the new timeline brings.

Only read Batman so far, and boy is that already neat.
Loving the Ghostmaker as ally, but that means the batfamily gets sidelined again.
I miss a good Batman and Robin team up.
Also booooooo that they havent yet brought Alfred back...bring the man back to me right now DC. :(
Scarecrows design is so incredible awesome, in color even more imo.
I only saw before the lineart and stuff, but fully colored, the design is soooo cool.
And i havent said it before, but Batman getting hunted by the law adds to the tension and urgency etc of it.
Yeah we have that for a while now, but i dont think i mentioned it before.

I read the #1 of The Swamp Thing and it was pretty great. Never read Ram V's stuff before, but as for this, it's a different and refreshing angle to approach the mythology. I love the idea of a desert equivalent of The Green. And the possibility of using India to flesh out The Green mythology with the new protagonist is very interesting. I'll keep reading.

I just have no clue what the hell Infinite Frontier is and I don't think I really care. DC just keeps bombarding with these new things that I don't know if it's a relaunch or what.

Other than the fantastic art by Jiminez, I have not really been feeling Tynion's recent work on Batman. His run started strong, but has petered out IMO. Joker War was a disappointment and I'm not crazy about characters like Clown Hunter and Ghostmaker.

Other than the fantastic art by Jiminez, I have not really been feeling Tynion's recent work on Batman. His run started strong, but has petered out IMO. Joker War was a disappointment and I'm not crazy about characters like Clown Hunter and Ghostmaker.

He focuses too much on his own characters recently, i dont like that.
They are cool characters, but it takes away from the story.
Joker War felt more like Punchline War than Joker war.
But the art, the art is magic...Jorge Jimenez is so talented, its insane.

Infinite Frontier #0 was...I don’t know what to think. I’m more angry than ever at what Bendis did to Jonathan Kent. And I can’t help but feel like too many characters are being forced upon readers.

The good:
Green Arrow and Black Canary is always dynamite and with revelation of the return of a certain character, I totally see this all adding up to being my favorite book of the relaunch. I’m sure that I will get excited for it and get heavily invested right up until it gets canceled.

Wally is the primary Flash again. I’m thrilled but I’m also wary as DC has had such a pattern of mismanaging the character in recent years.

Stargirl looks fun but could be a rehash of the show.

The bad:
Jonathan Kent gets to inherit the mantle of “great character that DC seems intent on wrecking”. At least hopefully that means Wally gets a respite from wearing that crown.

Did
Darkseid really just kill the Quintessence and Spectre in particular?
Talk about over-powered!

Tynion, whom I normally love, is intent on seeing how many Harper Row-level mistakes he can make in Batman.

All in all it hasn’t gotten me excited for the relaunch that I wasn’t wanting in the first place.

Anyone reading Spencer's ASM run? After being dismissive of it, after trying it, I love it. The Slott stuff while I give credit for pushing things like Superior and other concepts, I just never liked the way he wrote. It got grating. He was on that series for too long. I just picked up those comics out of habit. Now I'm actually loving the stories that are going on as Spencer writes them. I'm only on issue 26 but it feels like classic Spider-Man, but Spencer is still telling quality stories and doing fresh things with them and the characters. Sure Peter isn't running a corporation (which is okay) but I like Spencer's writing a lot better.

Did
Darkseid really just kill the Quintessence and Spectre in particular?
Talk about over-powered!

I'm just happy that he looks like his old self again.

Anyone reading Spencer's ASM run? After being dismissive of it, after trying it, I love it. The Slott stuff while I give credit for pushing things like Superior and other concepts, I just never liked the way he wrote. It got grating. He was on that series for too long. I just picked up those comics out of habit. Now I'm actually loving the stories that are going on as Spencer writes them. I'm only on issue 26 but it feels like classic Spider-Man, but Spencer is still telling quality stories and doing fresh things with them and the characters. Sure Peter isn't running a corporation (which is okay) but I like Spencer's writing a lot better.

I tried jumping in when Spencer first started his run, but wasn't feeling it after a few issues. As much as I like Spider-Man, I can't seem to ever get into reading his books long term. I jumped on during Slott's run a few times and every time, I would jump off after a few issues. I think I tried it during Ends of the Earth, Spider-Island, that crossover with Spider-Man 2099, and Superior Spider-Man.

I discovered that in the town one over from me, within walking distance, there's a collectibles shop on the main street. It's been there for at least a year and a half apparently but I had never noticed until I took a walk last night. They had a few long boxes of 25 cent comics and I managed to fill a few holes in my Mark Waid-Flash collection and a few early 80's Superman comics, which kick started a binge read of my 80's Superman books. Just read DC Comics Presents #66. Superman and Etrigan the Demon team up to fight Blackbriar Thorn. Written by Len Wein with some incredible art by Joe Kubert. I've got Action Comics #400, Superman Annual 9, 10 and Superman Special #1 by Gil Kane on the que.

::swings through thread::

Rorschach #6 came out this week and it is diviiiine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"