• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

"Terminator 1-3": The Good, Bad, & Ugly...

Moviefan2k4

Sidekick
Reaction score
OK, this is intended for discussion regarding only the currently-released Terminator films, as well as the 3D theme-park attraction. Here's my "two cents", as it were...

THE TERMINATOR

The Good...
  • First, I feel it necessary to give a nod of appreciation to series creator James Cameron. the only other film of his I like as of yet is "Titanic", but with the majority of these films being his, the dedication just stands out above a ton of other action or sci-fi pictures.
  • Michael Biehn's performance of Reese seemed very "standard" the first time I saw the film, but after years of liking it, I've come to appreciate what he brought to the story: determination, desperation, and believability. his "love speech" to Sarah seemed a little weird...not sure why.
  • Lance Henriksen. Been a fan of his work the last few years, even though the "Alien" films aren't anywhere among my faves. He was great in this, and also in "Quick & the Dead" as an card-carrying gunslinger (literally).
  • Linda Hamilton. Great actress, although I liked her better in Dante's Peak and T2 than in this. Maybe it's because I saw the sequel first as a kid, before ever watching this one.
  • Last (but by no means least), everyone's favorite Freeza-Termi-Governator, Ahnuld. Jim did a fantastic job putting him in this, and it still holds up today. great career move...for both of them.
The Bad...
  • The FX during the "eye surgery" scene. I know this was a low-budget effort in the early 80's, but I think that scene would have worked better, had Jim focused more on the Terminator's laser eye, rather than his reflection. It'd be cool if Cameron could get Stan Winston to recreate that scene digitally, using footage of Arnold from this film to show in that mirror.
  • Also, maybe tweak the wide shots of the endoskeleton at the end. the stop-motion is painfully obvious, but of done right, an adjustment could be done to smooth things out, without giving the revamp away. If today's tech-artists can do it for films like "Highlander 2" and the Donner Cut DVD, why not this?
The Ugly...
  • Sex, sex, and more sex. Ginger & Matt, Sarah & Kyle, Matt's sleazy phone call...ugh. Now, I know the whole scene with Kyle & Sarah was to explain John's conception, but they could have toned it down a tiny bit more, in my opinion. As for Sarah's super-hormonal friends, what story point does it really serve to have the Terminator kill them both right after a so-called "romp"? Makes no sense whatsoever. He could have taken them out another way, and it would have worked just as well.
TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY

The Good...
  • Just about every action scene and character moment between the Terminator, T-1000, John, Sarah, and Dyson. That covers about 90% of the film. I loved Sarah's opening voice-over, and using "Bad to the Bone" was incredible.
  • Dyson comes off as sincere yet misguided, which was perfect for an actor like Joe Morton (loved his small yet cool role in "Paycheck", and he's appeared a few times on "Law & Order" as well). I actually found myself saddened when he died in the film.
  • This was the first of the series that I saw, so it rocked my world when I first sat down to see it (was way too young when it was released, so didn't catch it until the late 1990s). The awesomeness of this film is what made me a Schwarzenegger fan, and I still get a kick out of this movie. Extended Cut is better, though.
  • Edward Furlong...this kid ate the scenery whenever he was on-screen, clearly giving both Arnie & Linda a run for their money. Sadly, I've read about some of his roles recently, and my reactions have always been "no".
The Bad...
  • John's foster parents seem as though they have very little interest in him. I don't know if this was the intention, but it was almost like a "hey, whatever" kind of attitude. I know the young Connor was a real pill, but give the kid some slack: his mother is trapped in an asylum, and everyone probably thought he was crazy for even trying to believe her warnings. That's no excuse for his delinquency, but some mention should have been made about them at least trying to raise him properly (more on John a bit later).
  • The part in the desert at Salceda's place seemed rather strung-out, in both cuts of the film. I did, however, like the slightly-longer excahnge between John and the Terminator in the weapons cache.
  • Dr. Peter Silberman...this guy seems to be abusing his authority left, right, and center. true, he was an idiot, but in the first film he at least appeared to mean well. ths time around, his only good scene was watching the needle cap fall out of his mouth, when the T-1000 passed thru that metal gate. Don't even get me started on Sarah's so-called "mental evaluation" scene.
The Ugly...
  • One word...or rather a lot of them, in the swearing sense. I watched this today, and never relaized how many times God's name is used for cussing at someone (lost my count after five, which is 5 too many). That and the violence are probably why it was rated R, but at least there's not as much of a "sex factor" as in the original. Personally, the worst offenses IMO regard John. His foster mother refers to him that way, and he himself uses it in a verbal assault on the Terminator...the kid is supposed to be ten, not some 16-year-old psycho. Jaded life or not, he's still ten, and I don't know anyone that young who cusses like that. Also of mention is Sarah's tirade during her restraint...after a while, you just sit back and wonder what posessed James to include so much of it in folks' dialogue.
TERMINATOR 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES

The Good...
  • Finally, another very-long-waited entry in the franchise. Arnold is once again in top form, both physically and acting-wise. It was great to see him in action again. Welcome back!
  • Nick Stahl...while he's no Edward Furlong, he makes a very good John Connor, and i was suprised. i liked him as the young kid in "The Man Without a Face", and as a rebel turned psychotic preppy in "Disturbing Behavior". Overall, he managed to make the role his own.
  • Claire Danes...her role before the T-X shows up seemed rather stale, but once the chase began, everything changed. Her leaping at Arnold when he opens the truck still makes me smile.
  • Kristanna Loken as a cyborg assassin...was shocked to say the least by her role, although it was an interesting twist (more about this later).
The Bad...
  • No Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, or James Cameron. The radical change in tone did affect this film in more ways than one. Jim brought a sense of drama to the chase, rather than going for the jugular every time, and the difference really comes through.
  • I really missed Sarah in this one, and even though I liked Nick as John, it still took some getting used to. The whole "leukemia" angle hit me right out of left field.
  • Continuity glitches. First, if John was 22 in T3, and it's supposedly set in 2003, then that means he was born in 1982. However, the first film takes place in '84, with Sarah not pregnant until the end. Plus, John's DOB, shown in T2, is 2-28-85, so in T3 he'd have been 18 at the oldest. Also, Sarah's death is listed on her coffin as the year 2000. Combine that with the previously mentioned glitch of John's age, and you have one seriously messed up storyline for connecting this with the first two. Mostow and the writers should have paid more attention. I'm surprised that even Arnold didn't seem to notice, otherwise he'd have requested it be changed.
The Ugly...

the T-X massacring kids at their own home, slamming her hand through a cop's midsection, presumably carving Kate's fiance, and tasting blood for DNA analysis?! What was going on?! Serving the story with a little blood is one thing (case in point, the skin removal with Dyson in T2), but so much of it was unnecessary and flat-out sick this time. Have her strangle the cop, or she could shoot the fiance, with it being heard from off-screen. Enough is enough, guys...sheesh.
While the sunglasses gag was funny, what was the point of him getting his clothes from a gay stripper? Just not cool in my book. Stick with overconfident bikers or idiotic punks, not fetishists.

This thread is stupid, and most of your complaints arent valid...there was alot of sex in Terminator becasue sex sells, and it was an R rated movie...there was alot of swearing in T2 because, once again, R rated movie, and that's how people really talk...of course Johns foster parents didnt give a f**k about him, that was the whole point, they were *****...and yeah, Silberman was supposed to be a power abusing moron who was only out to get rich by using Sarah, he so much as says this...and of course the violence in T3 was sick, once again, R Rated, and it was to show that the TX is every bit as much of the ruthless killing machine Arnold was...if you dont like sex, violence, and swearing in movies, maybe the Terminator films arent for you...you should pick something more suited to your tastes, like the Cinderalla franchise :o

I agree with The Joker, this thread is beyond pointless. Also, T3 suck, no point in vomiting it back up.

This thread is stupid, and most of your complaints arent valid...there was alot of sex in Terminator becasue sex sells, and it was an R rated movie...
Just because "sex sells", doesn't mean it's appropriate or always necessary to tell an engaging story. 90% of the time, its included for no other reason than to needlessly boost a rating.

there was alot of swearing in T2 because, once again, R rated movie, and that's how people really talk.
Really? Interesting...because I can't even name 3 people I've known who take it as far as these characters have.

of course Johns foster parents didnt care about him, that was the whole point.
What point does it serve, other than trying to rationalize John's disrespectful behavior? Lots of folks have bad upbringings, but you don't see them swearing worse than the Navy at age ten...

...and yeah, Silberman was supposed to be a power abusing moron who was only out to get rich by using Sarah, he so much as says this.
Actually, his comments in the original film were based on Kyle, not Sarah.

...of course the violence in T3 was sick, once again, R Rated, and it was to show that the TX is every bit as much of the ruthless killing machine Arnold was.
They accomplished the point in the original film, without bloodying it all up. The audience understood the killing done by the Terminator, and it wasn't really explicit at all. For the most part, T2 was the same way (not counting the prison guard and Todd Voight). It seemed like Mostow and the writers deliberately added more blood, with no story-based reason.

If you dont like sex, violence, and swearing in movies, maybe the Terminator films arent for you...
It's true that I'd rather sex wasn't presented on the screen; my preference is grounded on that. As for the violence, there's using it to aid the story...and then there's overpowering said story with mindless blood and gore. The language bugs me to an extent, especially when they use it to abuse God's name, or when it comes from the mouth of a young child.

Now, I don't want this thread to become a raging debate, so if you could please keep your comments constructive, I'd appreciate it. Thanks...

Claire Danes was crap. Kristanna Loken was about as scary or menacing as a puppy. Arnie had aged way too much between T2 and T3

Jesus Christ :whatever:
Please stop the *****ebaggery.
If you don't like this thread, just don't post and spare us of your cynical comments. I'm sure there's people interested in having a logical discussion about this thread.
Ugh, this is why I hate fanboys :down

Seconded :up:

Well, I happen to love talking about the Terminator films and am happy to act like a calm adult and contribute to this thread.

Like most I worship the first two ..... T2 is a full-on modern classic and just about the ultimate summer event movie ... about as close to perfect as perfect gets!

T3 is where the real debate can be found.

When I first watched it I felt happy that it was not a complete disaster rather than feeling I had watched a wonderful movie. Much like watching Die Hard 4 it was simply a strange sense of relief.

But the final 20 minutes save the whole thing ... the perfect end to the story, it comes full circle and proves that the charcaters are stuck in a loop from which there is no escape.

Well, I happen to love talking about the Terminator films and am happy to act like a calm adult and contribute to this thread.

Like most I worship the first two ..... T2 is a full-on modern classic and just about the ultimate summer event movie ... about as close to perfect as perfect gets!

T3 is where the real debate can be found.

When I first watched it I felt happy that it was not a complete disaster rather than feeling I had watched a wonderful movie. Much like watching Die Hard 4 it was simply a strange sense of relief.

But the final 20 minutes save the whole thing ... the perfect end to the story, it comes full circle and proves that the charcaters are stuck in a loop from which there is no escape.

Debatable.

Kristanna Loken was cast in T3 just for sex appeal, nothing more. I thought she was lame.

MIIB did the exact same thing.

Jesus Christ :whatever:
Please stop the *****ebaggery.
If you don't like this thread, just don't post and spare us of your cynical comments. I'm sure there's people interested in having a logical discussion about this thread.
Ugh, this is why I hate fanboys :down

When did this become a logical discussion of the film? It started out as essentially someone complaing about sex, swearing, and violence in an R-Rated action movie about a killer robot, which is about as illogical as someone can get.

You don't read very well, I guess.
The guy made some very valid points and offered personal views about the three goddamned movies, he's not just complaining about all the sex or whatever.

Just because "sex sells", doesn't mean it's appropriate or always necessary to tell an engaging story. 90% of the time, its included for no other reason than to needlessly boost a rating.

And there's your answer to why it's there, for the same thing I just said. It's there because alot of people are MORE likely to go to a movie if it involves sex. And the Kyle/Sarah part was supposed to be romantic, and show a contrast between there relationship (founded on love, also, one of them survives at least) and Sarahs friends (founded on sex, both get killed). This is a horror movie of sorts, and that's an example of the morality play that is used in alot. That a logical enough reason for you?

Really? Interesting...because I can't even name 3 people I've known who take it as far as these characters have.

Everyone I've ever met talks like this at some point or another. And you have to remember who the characters who swear alot were. There were the 2 bikers, yeah I'm sure they never swear in real life. And John, who's a rebellious teenager who's mom is in a nut house and foster parents only have him for the check, sure someone like that would never swear. Sarah, who's a half nuts militant freak who's been living with different extremist sects for the last 12 years, probably wouldnt have picked up any language from them though.

What point does it serve, other than trying to rationalize John's disrespectful behavior? Lots of folks have bad upbringings, but you don't see them swearing worse than the Navy at age ten...

Actually, you do see alot of foster kids brought up in poor conditions swearing. And at no point does John ever swear like he's in the navy :rolleyes: A god damn here and a god damn there arent even close to the c**nts, f**ks, s**ts, and such that you hear stereotypical sailors using.

Actually, his comments in the original film were based on Kyle, not Sarah.

And you honestly think he's not going to try the same thing on Sarah who's now spouting out the same exact things that Kyle was? So, she doesnt think she's actualy from the future, but in conjunction with what he got from Kyle, I think her story would sell a few books.

They accomplished the point in the original film, without bloodying it all up. The audience understood the killing done by the Terminator, and it wasn't really explicit at all. For the most part, T2 was the same way (not counting the prison guard and Todd Voight). It seemed like Mostow and the writers deliberately added more blood, with no story-based reason.

There was more blood because times have changed. In all more modern movies the violence is amped up. And of course they had to show kids being killed, because that was the T-X's targets, it was her entire plan. So more blood and kid killing is there for a reason, even if it's only because of the change in cinema in the last 10 year.

It's true that I'd rather sex wasn't presented on the screen; my preference is grounded on that. As for the violence, there's using it to aid the story...and then there's overpowering said story with mindless blood and gore. The language bugs me to an extent, especially when they use it to abuse God's name, or when it comes from the mouth of a young child.

If violence, sex, and blasphemy offends you, maybe you should head back to church and watch The 10 Commandments again, instead of Terminator, or any other R-Rated horror/sci-fi movie for that matter, because they obviously don't mesh with your crazy beliefes.

You don't read very well, I guess.
The guy made some very valid points and offered personal views about the three goddamned movies, he's not just complaining about all the sex or whatever.

And you may have noticed that I didnt comment on any of his valid points, which I mostly agree with. But he also has alot of illogical totally invalid points, which is what I commented on. He has an opinion, I disagreed, and then you came in saying that his opinion is somehow more valid than mine (because he posted if first?) so maybe you're the one who needs to shut the hell up and stop only looking at the postivie parts of his post, when about half of it was INSANE

great response for someone who wants a mature conversation about the movies...not nearly as mature as taking me and Kritics posts and putting in "blah blah blah" though, I mean, that was like some Gore Vidal s**t right there :o

Debatable.
ohh come on! you want them to stop skynet?
The terminator movies can become the greatest Film series of all time with T4,5 and 6..
if T3 had ended with them stopping skynet the film series would hav ended there.. there would be no point in making a fourth becaus it would be the same as T2 and T3.. but with the wold blown up.. and John in a "command center" ve get T4.. set in a post apocalyptic world where Man and Machine are at WAR...

ohh come on! you want them to stop skynet?
The terminator movies can become the greatest Film series of all time with T4,5 and 6..
if T3 had ended with them stopping skynet the film series would hav ended there.. there would be no point in making a fourth becaus it would be the same as T2 and T3.. but with the wold blown up.. and John in a "command center" ve get T4.. set in a post apocalyptic world where Man and Machine are at WAR...

agreed, we've had 3 classic style Terminator movies already, time to move onto the future war.

The eye removal in T1 is fine as it is, that's part of the charm looking at how SFX were done back then compared to current movies.

The eye removal in T1 is fine as it is, that's part of the charm looking at how SFX were done back then compared to current movies.

watch out, you're criticizing him in a valid way, people might jump down your throat and tell you to get out :o

I really don't mind it, to be honest.
I mean, it looks fake and all, but for some reason I still find it creepy as hell :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"