The Terminator franchise, what would you do to change it?

I thought they made the correct decision to move to the future but where I think they failed is how they handled it.
Imho they should have showed the humans absolutely on the brink and then introduce John Conner. No myth, no kyle, just strip everything to bare bones war movie and how the power and words of a single individual can rally an entire tire nation on it's knees to rise up and fight the machines. Think Gandhi with robots.

Introducing Kyle and Marcus was a HUGE mistep. Kyle especially opens up a whole can of worms in that all the robots have to kill Kyle and John Conner will cease to exist.
Also, enough with the call backs already, JEEZ! Make your own movie, make you OWN moments that become iconic.

I would delete Terminator 3, Salvation and that horrible television series. There should only have been T1 & T2.

If we are talking about the future, I think there is one potentially great film left; just make the straight up War film fans want. Show humans overcoming the machines, John Connor as the strong, contemplative leader, the time displacment equipment, and throw in Arnie as a human soldier for good measure. You could play up John's relationship with fate and his robotic father-figure who is now a real person.

I don't think it's entirely necessary, but it would hit so many fan-pleasing buttons that it could do well. There's a lot of things that would be nice to see, and if there is another film I want them to go all out and show it already. TS was so obviously a set-up for a unjustified series.

He didn't have a vision for T3. Cameron's story ended at T2.

It only ended there when he didn't get around to making T3. He was down for making it at one point, so clearly didn't always think the story was finished.

No Edward Furlong though. He looks like s**t just now.

I would erase T3 and Salvation from existence and continue the franchise with a film that acts as a prequel to T1, set in the future war before Kyle Reese goes back in time. It would chronicle John Connor's rise to power.

This This This, the only thing i'm interested in seeing post T2 is the resistence versus the machines,futuristic war movie, that looks like the little bits we get to see in T1 AND T2. To be fair at least Salvation was set in the future, and attempted to link it to T1. T3 was just no point whatsoever and The Chronicles don't get me started.

I think the only thing you can do with the franchise is what others are saying, the war against the machines. John Connor needs to be the main character though, that's where Salvation first screws up (there are plenty of other mistakes too), not making John the main character. Show the humans coming back from the brink and end it with John sending Kyle back in time. Also ignore T3 and TS completely.

"I asked you to let it be, now I'm TELLING you... let it be." - Arn Anderson

Sums up my feelings on the Terminator franchise continuing on...

Get rid of everything post-Terminator 2, and butch up T2 a bit. I think the second movie lost a lot of the darkness and edge from the first one and feels too light-hearted in comparison. As I understand it, that's mostly Arnold's fault.

It might be interesting to do a trilogy that completely subverts the franchise and turns it on its head, like maybe after John and the humans win the war he becomes this terrible brutal dictator. Many humans rebel against his regime and to help turn the tide they restore their old robot enemies to fight for them and in their most desperate hour they end up... you guessed it, sending one back in time to assassinate John Connor. Successfully this time.

Last edited:
T2 already came out and is considered a classic by most so I don't think they are going be changing anything about that film. It was supposed to have a different tone.

I would like for them to go for a less wiz bang over expensive B.S that they had going on in the last two films. Not enough people care about Terminator for them to make back these 200mil budgets. How about at least halfing that budget and focusing on making will rounded and interesting characters? The over spending amd bigger is better b.s is killing the franchise.

I love all four movies I really do but I would rather have a new season of the show than I would a new film. Really I find it that good. Plus dose anybody else find it funny how directly Terminator 2 ignores the idea from Terminator 1 that only the Terminator and Kyle could come back to the past because they blew up the time machine? Also I really liked Bale as Connor. I also really liked Nick Stahl and what he brought to the character in T3 but Bale had the sense of danger and authority that no other actor brought to the character for me. He just wasn't given enough to do because of the awful script.

Plus dose anybody else find it funny how directly Terminator 2 ignores the idea from Terminator 1 that only the Terminator and Kyle could come back to the past because they blew up the time machine?

In the script for T2, the future sequence at the beginning is longer and shows John and Kyle finding the time machine. Kyle goes back, and then John sends the T-800 through immediately afterward. Both are sent at the same time and then the equipment is destroyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"