A Terminator question.

The future IS NOT set.

The time loop theory contradicts Cameron's ending in T2. If Sarah Connor said she now looks forward to the unknown future with hope, OBVIOUSLY the future is not set. Cameron's deleted ending further illustrates this point, that the Future War did not occurr. But he felt that it should be left to the viewer to decide what the future holds for mankind....

There is no proof that John Connor knew Kyle Reese was his father. The events in T1 changed the future, they created a new timeline. Because of the discovery of the Terminator at Cyberdine, they were able to make advancments far quicker than they had imagined... It's an odd twist of fate, it almost seems like their is no way to escape the future. The journey along they way may change and shift, but the end result will be the same. And THAT is the driving force behind the whole series. The inevitability of the future war. However, we find out that IT IS possible to change the future, ala the ending dialogue....

Otherwise, Cameron's ending to T2: Judgment Day makes absolutely no sense. How does John Conner KNOW Kyle Reese is his father? He doesn't. It has alot to do with the theme of "fate," brought up in T2. Sarah questions whether or not she should tell John about his father, and obviously from the "car repair" scene in T2, he only knows vague details about him. However, Kyle Reese ends up shaping Sarah and John into further changing the future.

It's simply one of the finest science fiction/action/drama sagas of all time, beautifully crafted by Cameron

Furious Styles said:
The future IS NOT set.

The time loop theory contradicts Cameron's ending in T2. If Sarah Connor said she now looks forward to the unknown future with hope, OBVIOUSLY the future is not set. Cameron's deleted ending further illustrates this point, that the Future War did not occurr. But he felt that it should be left to the viewer to decide what the future holds for mankind....

Going by what's in the movies, and not deleted stuff, the loop does make more sense. Sarah could be wrong, it's not like she understands time travel physics any more than the viewer would. Probably less.

Furious Styles said:
There is no proof that John Connor knew Kyle Reese was his father. The events in T1 changed the future, they created a new timeline. Because of the discovery of the Terminator at Cyberdine, they were able to make advancments far quicker than they had imagined... It's an odd twist of fate, it almost seems like their is no way to escape the future. The journey along they way may change and shift, but the end result will be the same. And THAT is the driving force behind the whole series. The inevitability of the future war. However, we find out that IT IS possible to change the future, ala the ending dialogue....

Otherwise, Cameron's ending to T2: Judgment Day makes absolutely no sense. How does John Conner KNOW Kyle Reese is his father? He doesn't. It has alot to do with the theme of "fate," brought up in T2. Sarah questions whether or not she should tell John about his father, and obviously from the "car repair" scene in T2, he only knows vague details about him. However, Kyle Reese ends up shaping Sarah and John into further changing the future.

Whether or not John knows has no effect on whether Kyle was always his father. People were just suggesting that. The idea can still stay even if he sent him back for the reason Kyle thought.

Furious Styles said:
It's simply one of the finest science fiction/action/drama sagas of all time, beautifully crafted by Cameron

They're good movies, but as far as time travel goes there is plenty of contradictory nonsensical BS. It's not some kind of magnificent well-thought out epic. It's just a particularly good string of action movies. The first one in fact seems intended to have a one-timeline causal loop, and unless I'm mistaken, was just intended to be a single movie.

Furious Styles said:
The future IS NOT set.

In the future John KNOWS Kyle is his Father ... At the end of T1 Sarah is making tapes for john explaining that Kyle is his Father and he MUST be sent back in time .... if not John will NOT be born.

Sarah was looking forward to the future at the end of T2 simply out of hope.

The future IS set ... it always was.

I am glad they didn'tuse that alternative ending for T2 :)

Leto Atrides said:
Going by what's in the movies, and not deleted stuff, the loop does make more sense. Sarah could be wrong, it's not like she understands time travel physics any more than the viewer would. Probably less.

Sarah's quote at the end of T2 has more to do with her understanding of fate, rather than an off hand remark regarding time travel. All this time, she thought the Future War was unavoidable, however she simply doesn't know. And that is what breeds her hope. The ending we are left with (ie. the road leading into darkness) shows us a future of uncertainty. The future may or may not be set in stone, and that is her cause for hope...

They're good movies, but as far as time travel goes there is plenty of contradictory nonsensical BS. It's not some kind of magnificent well-thought out epic. It's just a particularly good string of action movies. The first one in fact seems intended to have a one-timeline causal loop, and unless I'm mistaken, was just intended to be a single movie.

From Predestination Paradox to The Grandfather Paradox, I simply don't know how time travel works. Considering we do not understand time travel in the slightest ourselves, I don't hold it againt movies who seem to contradict themselves while trying to use time travel as a plot device. Back To The Future, Terminator etc. etc. I couldn't tell you the first thing about time travel, but it doesn't stop those movies from being awesome.

Furious Styles said:
Sarah's quote at the end of T2 has more to do with her understanding of fate, rather than an off hand remark regarding time travel. All this time, she thought the Future War was unavoidable, however she simply doesn't know. And that is what breeds her hope. The ending we are left with (ie. the road leading into darkness) shows us a future of uncertainty. The future may or may not be set in stone, and that is her cause for hope...

From Predestination Paradox to The Grandfather Paradox, I simply don't know how time travel works. Considering we do not understand time travel in the slightest ourselves, I don't hold it againt movies who seem to contradict themselves while trying to use time travel as a plot device. Back To The Future, Terminator etc. etc. I couldn't tell you the first thing about time travel, but it doesn't stop those movies from being awesome.

I wish the Terminator franchise ended vaguely like that, but unfortunately, that didn't end up happening.

Leto Atrides said:

Terminator remains brilliant, sequels irrelevent. That Polaroid picture might be my favourite thing in the whole series.

Cinemaman said:
I am glad they didn'tuse that alternative ending for T2 :)

I'm not, its because of it not being there that we all got ****ed with T3! Although I actually think that T3 is more fun than T2- which moves along at a snails pace and thinks it's alot more meaningful than it actually is. A good terminator never really washed with me.

Even though T3 is more entertaining, its got no merit at all- which is why I would still rate T2 higher than T3, even if I don't enjoy watching it as much!

The first one, on the other hand, is a masterpiece of 80's cinema-dark, gruesome, funny, cool, arthousey...no way would you get a film like that these days....

You can take the sequels or leave them but the terminator is incredible and should never be re-made imo.....As for a T4???? I don't think that'd do too well without arnie, considering T3 barely broke even...

jimmylace said:
I'm not, its because of it not being there that we all got ****ed with T3! Although I actually think that T3 is more fun than T2- which moves along at a snails pace and thinks it's alot more meaningful than it actually is. A good terminator never really washed with me.

The first one, on the other hand, is a masterpiece of 80's cinema-dark, gruesome, funny, cool, arthousey...no way would you get a film these days with that many cops getting shot! The sequels lack the soul of the first.....

Well, actually even if they used alternative ending, T3 would be made, because of money.

But for me, T3 is another movie, it isn't one of the parts in Terminator trilogy.

yeah same here, it's fun but it doesnt look or feel like a terminator-
which makes the possibility of more T3 sequels a little less painful I suppose.

Youre right T3 would still have happened, after all it's inevitable,right? ;)

Remember there was those talks of a terminator tv series? if the producers forked out for the rights I wont be surprised to see something with the terminator name slapped on it in the future.....

^^^

Agreed.

Producers doesn't mind about quality of movie, the only thing, which they want is money.

Can somebody give me a download link of scene, where one of the cybers in the future turns it's skull to camera? It might be as well in Winamp format.

t210hu5.jpg

I once discussed the Terminator time travel sequence with my friends and we almost died.

Talking about that can give you a headache. :(

:rolleyes: since these movies deal with time-travel, the events are always happening again. It's a loop. They will just keep repeating the same events over and over. :confused: unless if I am wrong, then I just get the **** out of this thread.

The discussion was about if the Terminator movies work as one loop, or if there are multiple timelines.

Warhammer said:
The discussion was about if the Terminator movies work as one loop, or if there are multiple timelines.

Its a loop ... One big loop.

No you cant really class it as a loop. How did it start if its a loop?

black_dust said:
No you cant really class it as a loop. How did it start if its a loop?

It started the moment the first Terminator arrived from the past.

At that second the future war was born.

livrule said:
It started the moment the first Terminator arrived from the past.

At that second the future war was born.
Ummm yeah but how? they sent the terminator back to Kill John, John wouldn`t have been born because Kyle wouldn`t have been sent back by John.

You cant kick start the Loop with out Sending Kyle back and he cant go back with out John.

Its more of a line with tangents coming from that

Warhammer said:
I always thought that Arnold played a T-101 in all 3 films.
I remember reading up that he actually played a T-800 model in the first two movies and a T-850 in the T3.

- Is 101 a model number and 800 the actual type of Terminator?
- May someone please help me by answering my question?

Thank You. :)
in the 1st and 2nd movie hes T-101 in the 3rd movie hes T-800

black_dust said:
Ummm yeah but how? they sent the terminator back to Kill John, John wouldn`t have been born because Kyle wouldn`t have been sent back by John.

You cant kick start the Loop with out Sending Kyle back and he cant go back with out John.

Its more of a line with tangents coming from that

Kyle had to follow the original Terminator ... it was his destiny.

If Skynet had not sent Terminators through time it would cease to exist because its creation began with this future technology being sent to the past.

Thats the twist .... and the creation of the loop.

Skynet was trying to ensure its survival in the future ... but by sending terminators through time it was also creating itself.

Kyle is and always will be Johns father ... he was born in the future - sent back in time - made Sarah pregnant then died - and will be born again years later.

A loop.

juggster-rules said:
in the 1st and 2nd movie hes T-101 in the 3rd movie hes T-800

Actually, this thread is not even about that question anymore. :)
Lol, it turned into the Timeloop/Future thread.

Btw, T-101 is the model number.
T-101 is what the Terminator looked like. (Arnold) Every Terminator that Arnold played in the movies were 101 models. Thats why they looked the same.

T-800 is the type. The T-800 was in the 1st and 2nd movies, while the T-850 was in the third movie.

T-101 = Model Number.
T-800/850 = Type of Terminator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"