The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 6

They get updated every Monday after 2pm. Nothing is different this week than before about when the OS numbers are updated. It will be playing in a few markets overseas for the next month or so, but don't expect more than a few million.

Oh. Thanks for the info.

I think ASM2 makes 200m even if Sony have to dip into their own pockets to push it over the finish line. I don't think they want the Spidey franchise to have a movie that has finished sub 200m.

I think ASM2 makes 200m even if Sony have to dip into their own pockets to push it over the finish line. I don't think they want the Spidey franchise to have a movie that has finished sub 200m.

They are not going to have to do this.

TASM stayed in theaters for 14 weeks. The last 7 weeks it was in under 600 theaters only making a few hundred thousand a week. I would expect the same for TASM2.

These movies tend to linger in theaters for 14 weeks by default. I would be shocked if Sony took out TASM2 in only a couple more weeks and they certainly aren't going to lose money in leaving it in for more.

Yeah it will cross 200mil without fudging.

Last edited:
Should get there by itself now. Might be harder to get that $200m domestic next time out though.

I was shocked that it still hasn't crossed $200 million, but then again I kind of wasn't because it's numbers are getting lower each week.

With as long as it's taken for it to reach $200 million, I can't imagine it going past $203 domestically, though I could be wrong of course.

With the drops the franchise is incurring, ASM3 needs to do something revolutionary to at least match this one's gross. Otherwise, we should be looking at more drops. The overseas nos. can only bail the movies out for some time.

Yeah, I think we can all agree that for better or worse, some drastic are going to happen to the Spidey franchise.

It's crazy that a movie that makes $700m is in any way considered disappointing, but it's all relative. Lesser known superheroes make that much now. Iron Man is taking home a billion plus on his own. Spidey, with a cinematic pedigree and without the 'uncool' baggage Superman has, should still be competing at the top of the genre. And yet while all the other superhero franchises are increasing profits, Spidey is falling behind.

Last edited:
With the drops the franchise is incurring, ASM3 needs to do something revolutionary to at least match this one's gross. Otherwise, we should be looking at more drops. The overseas nos. can only bail the movies out for some time.

Yeah, we should expect at least 10% drop for ASM3. And with that release date it should be even more.

I cannot think what is going to make the GA go "wow, I want to go see the next spider-man movie"

There's nothing they can pull out and wave in front of the GA to tempt them to go.

X-Men had the OT/New Cast
Superman had Batman/Justice league
MCU is the MCU

I just can't see what is going to draw audiences, I can't see the GA being blown away by anything at this point.

I think it's best to just hope for good movies at this point in time, the BO may always be bleak.

They just have to make a serious looking movie. No Max Dillon, dumb haircuts etc and then word-of-mouth should help to move it over 200M.

But yeah right now some realistic target for ASM3 would be 150-180M.

Every time I come into this thread and see that poll it makes me laugh.

1.5 billion was expected by some (and rightly so in many respects) before this movie came out but wow did it disappoint in terms of BO returns.

I cannot think what is going to make the GA go "wow, I want to go see the next spider-man movie"

A strong written movie with a solid story from start to finish is a good place to begin. If they nail down something that gets them critical acclaim and lots of praise via word of mouth, the GA will catch on. The type of thinking that "we need to use something to get people interested again" is what scares me. They don't need to use gimmicks. I really hope they avoid that trap.

A strong written movie with a solid story from start to finish is a good place to begin. If they nail down something that gets them critical acclaim and lots of praise via word of mouth, the GA will catch on. The type of thinking that "we need to use something to get people interested again" is what scares me. They don't need to use gimmicks. I really hope they avoid that trap.

indeed, just give us some good movies already! hopefully the delay will be just more than avoiding batman/superman, the avengers, captain america 3, ant man, etc. at the box office. hopefully they'll focus on making some great movies for once.

At what point will deminishing returns from the spider-man series cause Sony to consider selling the rights to Disney?

I'll say at this point they are likely at the point of being "just profitable", but i can see that changing soon.

At what point will deminishing returns from the spider-man series cause Sony to consider selling the rights to Disney?

I'll say at this point they are likely at the point of being "just profitable", but i can see that changing soon.

Think you're right. They needed at least 750M according to Deadline (but IMHO it was even more - 770-790) but instead they'll finish with 710 or so and only around 202 from North America. Extra 44 millions from China are nice but they'll receive only around 25-30% of those money so DVD/blu-ray sales, TV rights, streaming etc. will have to make it profitable. And Sony don't own merchandising anymore.

Agreed. What TASM3 needs to do to get people in the door is cut a spectacular trailer, and get good reviews from critics and the GA. Naturally, it will take time to win the public back, so future Spider-Man films need to do the same.

Doesn't look like Sony is updating O/S weekly anymore. Looking at Rentrak it's total had to be under $1.2m since Overhead was listed at $2.2m ww

Domestic: $198,386,221
Foreign: $501,928,000
Worldwide: $700,314,221

Looking at $705m ww (even with late ww numbers like ASM2 which came in 2 years later with an extra $5m - $710m would probably be the highest)

Sad days for Spidey, barely can crawl to $200m DOM and $700m WW At this point all we can do is hope Sony gets their **** together for the next one but if their track record is any indication that just isn't in the cards for Pete's future

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"