The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man: Tie it in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

iGiFF

Civilian
Reaction score
I thought this could be a fun and interesting discussion. The Amazing Spider-Man is basically an unofficial part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, since Sony and Marvel Studios originally intended for OsCorp Tower to appear in The Avengers. Unfortunately, the New York City skyline had already been rendered by the time the OsCorp Tower was fully constructed.

The point is, as far as Sony and Marvel Studios is concerned The Amazing Spider-Man has a place in the MCU. For fun, why not come up with ways the film could tie in with the universe? The technology OsCorp had was very similar to Tony Stark's, and perhaps after the events of The Avengers people are weary of superheroes (remember, at the end of The Avengers people were afraid of them) and that's why Spider-Man is considered a vigilante.

Also, just to add, Rhys Ifans name appears on a bus in Thor: The Dark World apparently.

Before anyone says that New York City would have still been destroyed in The Amazing Spider-Man, if it took place after The Avengers, let me point out that in Iron Man it's shown on the news that The Wrecking Crew cleaned up the mess left by Iron Man and Iron Monger in a matter of hours. It's possible that they could have cleaned up NYC within a week. I just wanted to bring that up, because that is the fans' #1 nitpick when it comes to TASM being in the MCU. :yay:

-Film starts off with Spidey doing his thing, fighting crimes with his power and in return, his life is flipping upside down. He's late for class, not there when Aunt May needs him etc. Kinda like the Ultimates comic, he meets Nick Fury on the street one night after stopping a crime or something, and then Nick Fury tells him that he knows who Spider-Man really is under the mask, and then tells Spidey that he belongs to him when he turns 18. This doesn't necessarily mean that Spider-Man is in the Avengers though.

-Stan Lee's library getting wrecked up and he goes "No, not again!"

Would have been so easy to have Garfield in the crowd taking pictures at the end of Avengers. It would have been pre ASM so the question of why he didn't help as Spider-Man wouldn't have been an issue. I suspect Spidey will appear in Avengers 2 if for no other reason than for Sony to build up hype for ASM 2

After the Avengers foiled a direct assault on the Earth, Thanos comes to understand the need for covert strikes against the Earth.

At the end ofThe Amazing Spider-Man 2, Norman Osborn has nothing left to live for. He is visited by the Cloaked and Hooded Emissiary we saw Loki speaking with in The Avengers. He offers Norman a way to save himself from his impending death and financial collapse. Norman accepts; he is taken to Thanos' throne, where Thanos accepts Norman's soul. He imbues it with the supernatural essence of a goblin bandit king from the realms near Asgard.

Thus the Green Goblin is born-a supernaturally-fueled Norman Osborn whose body assumed a shape halfway between a human and the goblin bandit king he shares the body with.

Green Goblin is to be Thanos' link to Earth. A way to wage his war without attracting the attention of the Avengers.

EDIT: I very much doubt it, Joe. Like myself, I think Domini prefers a hero that can stand on their own. I myself am not a fan of rolling Spider-Man straight into the Avengers...I'd prefer Spidey have a trilogy to himself before crossing into the greater MCU.

Last edited:

I'm sure if it was a question regarding Nolan's Batman somehow being involved in the Justice League, he would have responded with a novel.

Did you even read the first post? Obviously not, because this is in no way a response.

'No' is definitely a response when I want the big three(Batman, Superman, Spider-Man) having their own universes as they have the most colorful and most enjoyable rogue galleries that they shouldn't be shared in with any mega universe.

But was that better than a 'no' for you? :whatever:

I'm sure if it was a question regarding Nolan's Batman somehow being involved in the Justice League, he would have responded with a novel.

Oh boy, you gotta love these posts where people assume way too much...

Let alone, I've always said I'm glad Nolan's Batman is far away from some Justice League mega universe and I hope Snyder's Superman is the same deal, but, oh no, continue on with you thinking you know all. C'mon, go on.

Last edited:
I like to assume TASM takes place before the Avengers, maybe around 2008, with the second and third films also taking place before than too.

This is mostly due to the Stark Tower/ MetLife building fiasco. In The Avengers, the realife MetLife building has been converted into Stark Tower.
But, in TASM, the MetLife building was seen in many many shots. Heck, Spidey stands on top of it after he created his costume and Aunt May called him for eggs.

There's no way TASM can take place after The Avengers with this glaring detail. Not to mention, the damage caused in The Avengers.

As for lack of SHIELD's involvement in TASM, well, why would they? In their universe, Spidey might as well be some loon in tights swinging around.
Maybe, maybe, they took notice and know Peter identity, but kept their distance, since Peter's a minor.

As for Oscorp Tower's absence in The Avengers, that's irrelevant, since Oscorp Tower changes location and even disappears from the skyline throughout TASM.

I would know this stuff, since I live in NYC and know the skyline very well.

Last edited:
I like to assume TASM takes place before the Avengers, maybe around 2008, with the second and third films also taking place before than too.

This is mostly due to the Stark Tower/ MetLife building fiasco. In The Avengers, the realife MetLife building has been converted into Stark Tower.
But, in TASM, the MetLife building was seen in many many shots. Heck, Spidey stands on top of it after he created his costume and Aunt May called him for eggs.

There's no way TASM can take place after The Avengers with this glaring detail. Not to mention, the damage caused in The Avengers.

As for lack of SHIELD's involvement in TASM, well, why would they? In their universe, Spidey might as well be some loon in tights swinging around.
Maybe, maybe, they took notice and know Peter identity, but kept their distance, since Peter's a minor.

As for Oscorp Tower's absence in The Avengers, that's irrelevant, since Oscorp Tower changes location and even disappears in the skyline throughout TASM.

I would know this stuff, since I'm in live in NYC and know the skyline very well.

mmmnm I don´t think so i remember seeing the picture that Peter was putting at the begging saying on it "Class 2012" or something like that i don´t remember very well but i think TASM takes place in 2012
so because of that and the Metlife building i think TASM is not in continuity

Last edited:
The Daily Bugle newspaper (before the sewer scene/battle) also says October 2012 or something.

Yeah. It wouldnt strike me as too far fetched to believe the events leading up to Tony Stark's captivity (first half of Iron Man) were taking place during the events of ASM. I also assume ASM2 will continue/conclude his high school career (graduation day, what have you) so nothing too bombastic has taken place in the MCU yet. (Stark might have taken down Stane, Mjolnir may have been discovered, Banner has a couple isolated incidents, Captain Rogers may have been discovered in the Arctic. But all of this is still under wraps by SHIELD/US government.)

Mayhaps, the entire ASM trilogy takes place prior to Avengers. With Gwen dead, Green Goblin defeated and Oscorp torn down (to make room for Stark tower?). And we won't see any real evidence of them in the same universe until an ASM4 (if it happens) and an Avengers 3. Where Peter is no longer a High School kid but actually an adult Spider-Man. :hehe:

Hey we can hope? I like using my imagination.

ASM could take place BEFORE the Avengers.

His absence from The Avengers could be explained that for some unknown reason he was not wanted for the initiative and/or he didnt want to join.

Absolutely not
I am all in for cameos here and there but Spider man should never be owned by Marvel Studios or come in an Avengers film.He is too big for them

As Anno righly said,He should have his seperate movies

As for Oscorp Tower's absence in The Avengers, that's irrelevant, since Oscorp Tower changes location and even disappears in the skyline throughout TASM.

I would know this stuff, since I'm in live in NYC and know the skyline very well.

That didn't cross my mind. The Amazing Spider-Man definitely would take place before The Avengers then, unless of course in the MCU the MetLife building and Stark Tower are seperate from each other... hell, it can easily be retconned to say the MetLife building was right around Stark Tower and we just didn't see it. I rewatched TASM to look out for when he is on top of the MetLife building, and from the camera's perspective that could work as an excuse.

I'd absolutely lose it if Spidey cameos in the Avengers but there is no way they would be able to keep that under wraps until you saw the movie. The Wolverine cameo in X:FC was spoiled and Wolverine is no where near as big as Spidey.

mmmnm I don´t think so i remember seeing the picture that Peter was putting at the begging saying on it "Class 2012" or something like that i don´t remember very well but i think TASM takes place in 2012

The MetLife building could have been torn down and revamped as Stark Tower afterwards... as it's already been said, The Amazing Spider-Man would likely take place before The Avengers.

'No' is definitely a response when I want the big three(Batman, Superman, Spider-Man) having their own universes as they have the most colorful and most enjoyable rogue galleries that they shouldn't be shared in with any mega universe.

But was that better than a 'no' for you? :whatever:

Oh boy, you gotta love these posts where people assume way too much...

Let alone, I've always said I'm glad Nolan's Batman is far away from some Justice League mega universe and I hope Snyder's Superman is the same deal, but, oh no, continue on with you thinking you know all. C'mon, go on.

Anno, Spider-Man can exist in the MCU without crossing paths with the other heroes. As far as we know, Spidey was never actually going to join The Avengers or anything. OsCorp Tower was going to show up, and that would have established a connection between Spidey and The Avengers, and that would have been it.

I definately like the idea of real time continuity, in other words Peter becomes Spider-Man two months after the events of Avengers and it is in part the reason why Peter creates a costume with a motif rather than just wears plain spandex because he was inspired by the colourful heroes he saw on TV just a few months prior.

The Daily Bugle newspaper (before the sewer scene/battle) also says October 2012 or something.

That could easily be retconed, but then again, the MCU never established any specific years the present day events took place in their films either, other then taking place around 70 years after Captain America went missing, so TASM can possibly still take place before The Avengers, of they don't retcon the date.

Yeah. It wouldnt strike me as too far fetched to believe the events leading up to Tony Stark's captivity (first half of Iron Man) were taking place during the events of ASM. I also assume ASM2 will continue/conclude his high school career (graduation day, what have you) so nothing too bombastic has taken place in the MCU yet. (Stark might have taken down Stane, Mjolnir may have been discovered, Banner has a couple isolated incidents, Captain Rogers may have been discovered in the Arctic. But all of this is still under wraps by SHIELD/US government.)

Mayhaps, the entire ASM trilogy takes place prior to Avengers. With Gwen dead, Green Goblin defeated and Oscorp torn down (to make room for Stark tower?). And we won't see any real evidence of them in the same universe until an ASM4 (if it happens) and an Avengers 3. Where Peter is no longer a High School kid but actually an adult Spider-Man. :hehe:

Hey we can hope? I like using my imagination.

This is pretty much the best case senario.

ASM could take place BEFORE the Avengers.

His absence from The Avengers could be explained that for some unknown reason he was not wanted for the initiative and/or he didnt want to join.

Also a good senario
Maybe at the end of TASM3, Nick Fury meets with Peter telling him about the Avengers initiative, since Peter is no longer a minor and Spider-Man is more well known.
Either Peter accepts or doesn't.

As for where he was during the Avengers, well, helping somewhere else in the city.

That didn't cross my mind. The Amazing Spider-Man definitely would take place before The Avengers then, unless of course in the MCU the MetLife building and Stark Tower are seperate from each other... hell, it can easily be retconned to say the MetLife building was right around Stark Tower and we just didn't see it. I rewatched TASM to look out for when he is on top of the MetLife building, and from the camera's perspective that could work as an excuse.

Nah, there's no way they can retcon that. You can even see the base of the MetLife Building under Stark Tower in the film. Stark Tower is pretty much built where the MetLife building was.

Ugh, out of all the buildings he could have stood on, it had to be the MetLife building.....
Not to mention, the numerous skyline shots in TASM that included the MetLife Building with the word MetLife erased off.

Anno, Spider-Man can exist in the MCU without crossing paths with the other heroes. As far as we know, Spidey was never actually going to join The Avengers or anything. OsCorp Tower was going to show up, and that would have established a connection between Spidey and The Avengers, and that would have been it.

I definately like the idea of real time continuity, in other words Peter becomes Spider-Man two months after the events of Avengers and it is in part the reason why Peter creates a costume with a motif rather than just wears plain spandex because he was inspired by the colourful heroes he saw on TV just a few months prior.

This is also a good senario

Last edited:
Ok, is this all bollocks, or did they really want Oscorp Tower to appear in Avengers?

No. I really don't like the idea of this spider-man merging with the Marvel Cinima Universe. The MCU has a very different style to Webbs Spidey, so I couldn't see him in those films. Also, I'm liking the idea of Spidey being in his own universe at present, with no destraction from any other films.

So I wouldn't be keen on the idea of a Webb Spidey / MCU team up.

There would be no point with having a hero being in the MCU and not being apart of the Avengers as we see every established hero in The Avengers except for War Machine.

Let alone, you're right...OsCorp Tower WAS going to be featured, but since it's not, Spidey is still not in the MCU. And I really hope he's never in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"