The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

MrMaooz

Avenger
Reaction score
Which of the two Marc Webb directed Spider-Man films is your favorite, The Amazing Spider-Man or The Amazing Spider-Man 2?

Both have their flaws, but I'd say 2 overall. I only missed Martin Sheen and Denis Leary from the first one. Other than that, Garfield and Stone's performances were better and we got a much better villain in Dane DeHaan as Harry. It just felt more like a Spider-Man movie than the first.

Tie, but pending a 2nd viewing. They are both equally great and my favorite CBM's ever.

The Amazing Spider-Man is a 3/5 for me

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a 2/5 for me

So TASM. But, don't love either.

My rating system gives TASM an 8/10 and TASM2 a 10/10.

I enjoy TASM 1 more but I feel TASM 2 is the better film.

I'll take TASM 2. I'd say TASM is marginally a better film. But the general look, action and Spidey of TASM 2 will probably have me pop it in a few more times. I am already having a hard time looking at the suit in TASM after TASM 2.

I'll take TASM 2. I'd say TASM is marginally a better film. But the general look, action and Spidey of TASM 2 will probably have me pop it in a few more times. I am already having a hard time looking at the suit in TASM after TASM 2.

I'd agree the general look of TASM2 is better, but as flawed as I felt Lizard was in TASM, he was a better villain than what we got here. Also, it had a much better narrative flow (2 was way too disjointed). While TASM I felt had massive missteps in the story as well, I think for me, Capt. Stacy's death in TASM and him saving the boy on the bridge are the highlights of the 2 films for me. 2 had a great ending, but the disjointed middle made it not work as well as, say, Capt. Stacy's death in the first one.

I'd agree the general look of TASM2 is better, but as flawed as I felt Lizard was in TASM, he was a better villain than what we got here. Also, it had a much better narrative flow (2 was way too disjointed). While TASM I felt had massive missteps in the story as well, I think for me, Capt. Stacy's death in TASM and him saving the boy on the bridge are the highlights of the 2 films for me. 2 had a great ending, but the disjointed middle made it not work as well as, say, Capt. Stacy's death in the first one.
I agree with all this. The Lizard is pretty boring for me, but he is a much better villain then anything in TASM2. The general chemistry and scenes Peter has with Gwen, Capt. Stacy, Uncle Ben, and Aunt May are much better in TASM then anything in TASM 2. The only dynamic that really works in that regard in TASM 2 is Peter and Aunt May, though Peter and Harry is good for what it is.

I think TASM 2 for me though will be like a small scale version of the Avengers. You see, every once in a while I pop in my Avengers blu ray and just watch the final act. When I am washing dishes, cooking or cleaning. I adore it. I can see myself popping in TASM 2 and watching my favorite bits in a similar manner, though not to the same degree.

So yeah, I agree TASM is a better film, but if I am honest with myself, I'll probably watch more of TASM 2 in the future.

I agree with all this. The Lizard is pretty boring for me, but he is a much better villain then anything in TASM2. The general chemistry and scenes Peter has with Gwen, Capt. Stacy, Uncle Ben, and Aunt May are much better in TASM then almost any in TASM 2. The only dynamic that really works in that regard in TASM 2 is Peter and Aunt May, though Peter and Harry is good for what it is.

I think TASM 2 for me though will be like a small scale version of the Avengers. You see, every once in a while I pop in my Avengers blu ray and just watch the final act. When I am washing dishes, cooking or cleaning. I adore it. I can see myself popping in TASM 2 and watching my favorite bits in a similar manner, though not to the same degree.

So yeah, I agree TASM is a better film, but if I am honest with myself, I'll probably watch more of TASM 2 in the future.

That's fair enough :up:

With this movie, I may watch the climax again (like if I am flipping channels and that part comes on), but any other part of the movie, I am likely flipping the channel.

The Avengers is pretty much great to put into the Blu Ray player for any occassion :oldrazz:

That's fair enough :up:

With this movie, I may watch the climax again (like if I am flipping channels and that part comes on), but any other part of the movie, I am likely flipping the channel.

The Avengers is pretty much great to put into the Blu Ray player for any occassion :oldrazz:
Agreed. :D

Oh and I forgot that score. Zimmer's score hits me right in the chest. Can't stop listening to his Spidey theme. That never hurts.

ASM - 7.5/10

ASM2 - 9/10

I like ASM2 better than any Spider-Man movie (or indeed any CBM ).

TASM2.

Best Spidey, best costume, cinematography that pops, good theme, funner villains, a fantastic ending.

The ASM suit works for dark and gritty tone. The new Spidey suit in that dark setting would look out of place.

TASM2 was better, but it is still extremely problematic. It's definitely not better than SM1 or SM2.

The ASM suit works for dark and gritty tone. The new Spidey suit in that dark setting would look out of place.
The texture and gold/bronze whatever eyes just don't work for me anymore. Not after TASM 2. And I kind of liked it when TASM came out.

The texture and gold/bronze whatever eyes just don't work for me anymore. Not after TASM 2. And I kind of liked it when TASM came out.

I have to wait to see how I feel. I haven't revisited ASM1 since watching ASM2 and I doubt I will until the Blu at which point I will watch them back to back. But I don't think I will reject the old costume.

TASM costume sucked. I thought it even when that one came out. TASM2 costume is so much nicer. One of the few areas of improvement.

TASM 3/5
TASM2 3.5/5

The 2nd one is a little better but they are almost tied. The best Spidey movies are Raimi's Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2.

TASM by default since it screws up a bit less than TASM 2 does.

I have to wait to see how I feel. I haven't revisited ASM1 since watching ASM2 and I doubt I will until the Blu at which point I will watch them back to back. But I don't think I will reject the old costume.
:up:

Yeah, I can see this totally being a me thing.

TASM costume sucked. I thought it even when that one came out. TASM2 costume is so much nicer. One of the few areas of improvement.
I was probably being a hipster about it back in 2012. I mean, I liked the Spider symbol, but I honestly don't know how I liked the rest of it now. :funny:

I agree that the look of ASM 2 is better. The first one looked like an imitation of a David Fincher film. Don't get me worng, it was a decent imitation. But is imitating the darkly stylish look of a Fincher film really Spidey-like? The sprawling primary colors of ASM 2 seems more appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"