The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

As much as I really wanted to like it, there was just something about TASM that felt out of place to me; that didn't really make it feel like a Spider-Man film to me. It could have been because of the more grounded and "darker" approach. Idk but it was the same way that, to me, TDKR or MoS didn't feel like Batman and Superman films respectively. However, with TASM, I did enjoy the new cast, especially the chemistry between Andrew and Emma and enjoyed Peter's moments on-screen more than I did when he was in costume (same for Bruce and Clark in TDKR and MoS).

TASM2 felt like such a huge step up from TASM:
- Visually, it looked so much more inviting and appealing (with brighter colours, Electro, Goblin and Spidey looking great)
- The humour was definitely what you'd expect from Peter/Spider-Man (though I felt one or two scenes tried too hard with that)
- The chemistry between characters as always (especially with the small moments that Peter and Harry had together)
- Zimmer's score was miles better and more exciting than Horner's
- The action was great and I really loved the [blacked out in case you haven't seen the film and I don't want to spoil this part because it was just so cool] [BLACKOUT]slow-mo "spider-sense" moment in Times square as Peter saves those people on the stairs and stops the car with just one of his functioning web-shooters.[/BLACKOUT]

As opposed to TASM1, I enjoyed Peter's and Spider-Man's moments on-screen equally, just loved the overall feel and tone to TASM2, making it feel like the best Spidey film to date and can't wait to see if TASM3 can top TASM2 when it's released.

TASM1

I think its an okay-at-best film, whereas I completely and totally loathe TASM2.

TASM2 is a perfect Spider-Man movie and obviously better than TASM, actually aside of Max Dillon's "cartooniness" I don't think I have absolutely any problems with the movie

TASM for me is a mixed bag (how many times have we heard that one ey?)
Anyway, having watched it again after TASM2 I'm kinda sad to say that while I enjoyed it a lot, mainly due to the performances, it really is a missed opportunity. most of the spidey quippy lines are gringe worthy while in the second one they made me laugh through out the entire movie, Connors isn't that well realized and his motivations aren't explained that well, and last but not least Uncle Ben's death is kinda meh since they already did it as best as they could in the Raimi one.

What really boggles my mind though is that in this new series the CGI can be stunningly good at places where in others it looks stiff or cartoony. The Lizard as a character model is really detailed and in it self is satisfying but it's the animation that doesn't sell me. By the third Spider-man movie the effects are pretty damn good, yeah there's an unconvincing character model here and the but the physics are really really good. what happened, isn't this supposed to be the same fx company?

TASM1

I think its an okay-at-best film, whereas I completely and totally loathe TASM2.

I kind of have the opposite view. I loathe TASM, but TASM I thought was OK. Neither of them are as good as the Raimi series.

ya said TASM twice. but yeah I get what you mean I'm just being an ass :oldrazz:

Close call, but I liked the first one a bit better. It was better structured, had a better villain, and less cringe-worthy dialogue.

Tie. I love this series. Nothing will ever be the Spider-Man movies in my head I'd love to see, but these come a lot closer than the old ones. These ones are restoring the correct Spider-Man in the eyes of the general public. Much like how, despite problems I have with them, Nolan's Batman movies restored the correct Batman as opposed to Tim Burton's murdering out of shape psycho.

The only thing TASM had down better than TASM2 was narrative structure.

For me the latest is far better.

ASM1 - 6/10

ASM2 - 8/10

Well ASM2 will certainly go down as the most controversial of the Spiderman films. It has enough high highs , and low lows, for either side of the argument to cling to and assert the film is great or awful, for years to come. I don't think ASM is gonna get that kind of treatment in which people really debate about it.

Then again, it didn't try to do as much as this one did. This one wanted to do the Death of Gwen Stacy, build a cinematic universe leading into sinister six, do the Untold story of Peter's Parents, have a teen romantic drama, introduce several new villains without rehashing what was done in previous films,etc. In alot of ways it was ambitious , but ultimately Sony wanted to cut corners in order to achieve everything and as a result all the plotlines suffered from it. Half of the film feels like a genuine effort to tell a quieter more personal story and the other half feels like an attempt to cash in and take the Disney/Marvel formula and run with it.

TASM2
Better Villains, MUCH better suit, better score, better story, better action, better Spider-Man

TASM2
Better Villains, MUCH better suit, better score, better story, better action, better Spider-Man
Yup. They upgraded everything on purpose. They knew what was wrong with the first product.

TASM2.

Even though the plot was inconsistent, it was the most fun I've had watching Spider Man on film. Especially since they finally got Spider Man right to the T. He was perfect in this film as was Harry, Gwen and May. I also really liked Electro and thought he was pretty underrated.

ASM1 had a better plot or whatever, but ASM2 was way more entertaining.

ASM1 - 9/10 (hiccups aside, this is my favourite Spider-Man film so far)
ASM2 - 8/10 (I've only seen it once and I was rather depressed leaving the cinema which has lessened its score in comparison to ASM1, I need to see it again though)

As much as I enjoyed ASM, ASM2 improved on nearly every aspect.

TASM, over any of the Raimi movies. The villain was weak, much weaker than Doc Ock, but Garfield and Stone were so much better than Maguire and Dunst.

Way above the camp, over crowded TASM2.

TASM 2 easily.Given my disdain for TASM,that's probably not a surprise.But there was actually some significant improvements that were addressed to my problems with the first film.I'll give a more detailed review later,but suffice to say: A mixed bag,with the good being (ever so ) slightly more than the bad.7 or 8 out of 10.

TASM, over any of the Raimi movies. The villain was weak, much weaker than Doc Ock, but Garfield and Stone were so much better than Maguire and Dunst.

Way above the camp, over crowded TASM2.

c'mon do we have to do the Webb vs Raimi thing here too? Just TASM vs TASM 2 dude.

my thoughts.

TASM 2 has some positives. It was able to expand on and close up story arcs(Norman Osborn dying, Oscorp/Richard Parker conspiracy, Peter dealing with the promise he made to Captain Stacy, etc) while TASM was more the start off in creating these story-lines and this universe. You can see more developed interactions with the characters. While TASM kept a consistent tone/storyline with lighthearted characters(Referring to Andrew and Emma Stone and to a lesser extent Martin Sheen and Sally Fields) and TASM 2 has some darker characters but also put campy characters where they weren't needed(Kafka and Max Dillon being the main problem imo).

With TASM 2, I think the storyline was basically one singular one not counting Peter's relationship with Gwen, which is Oscorp/Norman Osborn effect on the characters(Harry dying, Peter searching for why his parent's disappeared,the work it's interested in which leads to the creation of super villains), it just didn't feel interconnected and wasn't explained well enough but I think TASM had the problem of dealing with more storylines in that department and more complaints of jumbled storytelling. But ultimately except for a few elements/bad eggs there are more things I liked about TASM 2 than TASM 1.

^ I'm really not sure you understand the definition of 'camp', because Max and Kafka weren't campy; exaggerated, maybe, but not campy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"