The Batman - Rate And Review Thread (Spoilers)

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
After five long years since Matt Reeves was first announced to be directing Batman the movie finally hits cinemas in most places around the world this week. Early fan screenings for this film will begin March 1st 2022, so I’m making this thread now. Please rate and review The Batman in this thread.

Last edited:
This was my most anticipated movie for a long time and I'm glad I was able to watch it.

I have a feeling I need 2nd or 3rd watch before I can confidently say my opinions. But for the first rewatch, it's a great movie. It has something for everyone, but also strengths that other Batman movie even other cbm/movie doesn't. It's not without flaws either. The technical aspects are all amazing, besides some editing or VFX in some scenes. It flows really well and it has a purpose and story to tell. It's engaging and propelling. The mystery is good and compelling enough. Three hours flew past by with a good score as company. Feels like Long Halloween come alive. Like Gotham what i really want.

Performance is great all around.

I feel cheated that they released all scenes with Bruce in trailer and tv spots (since Bruce only appears in those) but this isn't Bruce's movie, this is THE Batman movie. Rob's doing a good job as Batman, he's unlike previous ones, so sometimes I'm taken aback but he's pulled out a detective and fighter Batman effectively. He looks bigger and calmer than I expected him to be despite being a vengeance. A lot of it is in his subtlety, so I need more rewatch to catch what I missed. As Bruce, he's like what Rob said, a weirdo. Feel different, but not really fleshed out so I don't think I can comment much. Will be the 2nd movie become THE Bruce Wayne movie then? I wish. But I notice how in some scenes he exudes that awkward-virgin boy persona when he was with Zoe. Which is a nice touch.

Zoe is amazing. She's naturally sexy and badass. She just embodies Selina. Penguin is funnily awesome, I want his show now lol. And Riddler OMG Paul Dano!! He's insane, he stole the two scenes he's in with his baby face and creepy smiles. I feel robbed that he does not appear that much, da**. The interrogation scene was my favorite. Gordon is funny and relatable. Love him. I really like Falcone too, he's stolen the scene he's in. Sadly, Alfred very much feels like a cameo especially considering his screen time to the 3-h time. F*** I guess I just want more from all of them. In short, in my opinion, they successfully bring out something different than previous actor's before.

Now to the story.

From the first scene with Bruce who narrates really well (his voice is the best one for me, period) and being the Batman with vengeance as the sole purpose. Yes, the main story is a detective murder mystery which is the focus in the first two acts, and the third act with the 'now we're doing superhero movie' arc basically. Which is kinda different.

I read some complaints about the third act so this is my own thoughts after i watch it. Maybe yes, it'll gonna feel like there's no build-up to the final act or no real stakes for Batman/the citizens and lower the intensity and a bit anti-climactic --like some people already did feel-- but in my opinion, it doesn't need to. I think what Matt Reeves intended isn't to create some 'superhero save the day or its over' tension but more like a realization. (Oh, i just realized something related in funeral scene to end scene, that's good! I would check it again to make sure)

And so when he narrates again at the end, his point of view and purpose is different from the first one. He changed. Reeves wants to connect the entire story, including the Riddler's plan and his goons, to Batman's arc. To me, yeah the detective batman that is fleshed out in most of the story is far more interesting than superhero batman, but we're getting both in this movie. How could I ask more? Scratch that, I'm glad about that decision.

Thinking about it more and after reading some others' thoughts, I love it more. Does it feel like TDK's third act? Maybe. For some, it's one of the weaknesses but for others, it is not. Same with this one. I do think, it tied up the story nicely.

The 3rd act in cbm mostly contains those tropes but with a bigger stake, so it feels more euphoric in the end or something like that. This feels like that too, just without much tension that seems so high throughout the story. That makes difference and I understand why there's a problem with it. Idk, everyone has a different opinion. But what Batman did in 3rd act is one of my favorite Batman moments ever.

Fighting scenes are really good, though it's not the main selling point. He's fighting like brawler. He's still made mistakes and hurt. Car chase scene is thrilling. One of my favorite moment too. Chemistry between Selina and Batman is good but idk I feel like I need more to see, because it's not focused on romance that much (more like attractions).

I write too long, but if I should write shorter I will say: Matt Reeves understood the assignment. He delivered with his style and purpose. So is everyone.

I think this gonna be a movie where you will like it the more you think about it (that's what I feel) but also upon rewatch.

Additional thoughts. Do I compare it to previous Batman movies before? The answer was yes. But I realize that it's natural, but also doesn't matter since I love them for enough different reason.

Love it. (So far I give it 8.8/10)

Last edited:
9/10 for me.

This is THE Batman/Bruce Wayne story I’ve waited to see for years. It is, and let me word this very carefully: the best live action Batman focused movie ever. This is his movie and my god was the wait worth it. Everyone either killed it or did very well in there respective roles. Score was great and took from all the best Batman composers. Dano was just…… ugh, chefs kiss. And that scene he had at the very end, oh Lordy lord.

bottom line, Rob is Batman. I can’t say it enough. This is his role now.

Down the line I’ll get into the minor stuff that didn’t make it a 10, but let’s be honest, is there ever really a perfect 10 out there? This thing gets close at times though. Very close.

9/10 for me.

This is THE Batman/Bruce Wayne story I’ve waited to see for years. It is, and let me word this very carefully: the best live action Batman focused movie ever. This is his movie and my god was the wait worth it. Everyone either killed it or did very well in there respective roles. Score was great and took from all the best Batman composers. Dano was just…… ugh, chefs kiss. And that scene he had at the very end, oh Lordy lord.

bottom line, Rob is Batman. I can’t say it enough. This is his role now.
Dude that batmobile is just Chefs kiss

Easy 9/10, might become a 10/10 on a rewatch. Just mesmerizing for 3 straight hours. Pattinson's Bruce Wayne is in an exciting place with room to grow, and his Batman is probably the best ever, especially when considering this is his FIRST movie. Madness!

I feel like I need to watch it again, but based off this first viewing...I'd give it About 8-8.5/10 overall.

I loved how we got a straight up detective story in this movie.

Pattinson was great at portraying Batman. We'll see how his Bruce Wayne develops in sequels, but his Batman was great. For the first time since Adam West, Batman feels like a superhero Sherlock Holmes.

Zoe was a pretty cool proto-Catwoman. Can't wait to see how she develops in future installments.

Colin Farrell was hilarious as "Oz" Cobblepott.

Paul Dano as Riddler...possibly the creepiest Live Action Movie Batvillain. I love how, despite how radical a departure this might seem at first glance, he ended feeling like classic Riddler in a lot of ways.

Wright and Serkis were pretty strong as Gordon and Alfred, respectively.

Gotham City itself might just be the best version we've gotten in live action.

I liked the third act. Yeah, the movie felt like it could've ended earlier, but I liked the new element the last act brings in.

I'm very interested to see where this series goes. For now, this was a strong first installment.

I feel like I need to watch it again, but based off this first viewing...I'd give it About 8-8.5/10 overall.

I loved how we got a straight up detective story in this movie.

Pattinson was great at portraying Batman. We'll see how his Bruce Wayne develops in sequels, but his Batman was great. For the first time since Adam West, Batman feels like a superhero Sherlock Holmes.

Zoe was a pretty cool proto-Catwoman. Can't wait to see how she develops in future installments.

Colin Farrell was hilarious as "Oz" Cobblepott.

Paul Dano as Riddler...possibly the creepiest Live Action Movie Batvillain. I love how, despite how radical a departure this might seem at first glance, he ended feeling like classic Riddler in a lot of ways.

Wright and Serkis were pretty strong as Gordon and Alfred, respectively.

Gotham City itself might just be the best version we've gotten in live action.

I liked the third act. Yeah, the movie felt like it could've ended earlier, but I liked the new element the last act brings in.

I'm very interested to see where this series goes. For now, this was a strong first installment.
Agreed

Not gonna rate this until I get a 2nd and 3rd viewing in, but I think I can confidently slot this right under TDK and B89 as one the upper-tier Batman films. The high's didn't quite get there as those two did, but they're admittedly high bars.

As a collective, the setting and its inhabitants is probably my favorite. Pattinson and Kravitz have just usurped Keaton and Pfeiffer for me. As someone whose love for those iterations has only gotten stronger over the years, it's exciting to see the newcomers rise above them on the first try. I want so much more stories inside this Gotham. The design, the characters, the world itself feels fully alive in a way Gotham has never been before.

I was genuinely surprised how many different sources Reeves pulled from. There are clear adaptations of recent comics from this past decade. It's such as relief to move away from the same ol' stories in the 80s and 90s. It's opened up a whole slew of possibilities in not just the villains, but where Batman's trajectory itself goes. I fully believe Reeves has a clear arc in mind for Bruce. We might actually get a trilogy where the spotlight is firmly on our titular hero and never wavers.

It'll probably take a few weeks to truly ruminate on the minute details. Of which I'm looking forward to pick apart with you all. But the most important thing is the foundations are rock solid on this series. If Reeves makes as much of a leap as Nolan did going from BB to TDK, the future is incredibly bright for our dark knight.

Not gonna rate this until I get a 2nd and 3rd viewing in, but I think I can confidently slot this right under TDK and B89 as one the upper-tier Batman films. The high's didn't quite get there as those two did, but they're admittedly high bars.

As a collective, the setting and its inhabitants is probably my favorite. I want so much more stories inside this Gotham. The design, the characters, the world itself feels fully alive in a way Gotham has never been before. I was genuinely surprised how many different sources Reeves pulled from. There are clear adaptations of recent comics from this past decade. It's such as relief to move away from the same ol' stories in the 80s and 90s. It's opened up a whole slew of possibilities in not just the villains, but where Batman's trajectory itself goes. I fully believe Reeves has a clear arc in mind for Bruce. We might actually get a trilogy where the spotlight is firmly on our titular hero.

It'll probably take a few weeks to truly ruminate on the minute details. Of which I'm looking forward to pick apart with you all. But the most important thing is the foundations are rock solid on this series. If Reeves makes as much of a leap as Nolan did going from BB to TDK, the future is incredibly bright for our dark knight.
Definitely

I gave it a 10...mainly because I would watch it again right now if I could and probably feel the same excitement and awe I felt watching it the first time. It will likely drop down to a 9 in later viewings (that is usually how it plays out) but for me the difference between a "9" and "10" is how motivated I am to rewatch. This has such a rewatchability factor I am glad I kept my AMC A List ;)

This film made me feel like I was 9 years old again watching Keaton own as Batman. Crazy gadgets, detective skills and the just fear inducing menace that Pattinson has just standing there looking at people was amazing. His arc was fun to go along with because it was not the usual Bruce Wayne story. And honestly, it is the one that makes the most sense. It makes way more sense that a kid who lost his parents to crime would be rather dark and broody.

And Penguin may not have been in a lot of scenes...but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn he stole them all when he was there.

And that final riddle in Arkham...

nKN4wm7.jpeg

At the Movies with Kane and BN

A ★★★★★ review of The Batman (2022)

The Batman finally brought back the D in DC.

The new era of Batman is finally here. Matt Reeves did a phenomenal job bringing back Batman in a familiar yet totally different direction. It's a gritty detective noir epic that feels like a combination of The Crow, Se7en, and The Sopranos. The Long Halloween comic probably owes itself the most with how they use certain aspects to tell the overall story. In this, it takes the Zodiac-inspired Riddler as the big bad to uncover Gotham's corruption on various fronts. One of the biggest aspects they did a great job showcasing was the cinematography and atmosphere by Greig Fraser... not to mention the slow and unnerving pace that builds up over time which may or may not work for some people.

The cast is pitch-perfect and there's not a single one that dropped the ball. Robert Pattinson's performance is truly the stand-out where he's in it a lot and mostly as Batman. His characteristics somewhat reminded me of Rorschach (especially with the narration), but as somebody who's not too far gone yet. He clearly sets his own path among the other Batmen and I absolutely loved his chemistry with Jeffrey Wright's Gordon and Kravitz's Selina Kyle who both felt like fully developed characters. It seems like they were hiding him during the promotion, but there's a big Falcone presence and I thought John Turturro did a great job. We kinda don't get a whole lot of scenes with Andy Serkis and Colin Farrell, but I thought they had their moments to shine. Last but not least, Paul Dano delivers one of the best villain performances as The Riddler... it's truly mesmerizing.

The movie is 3 hours long and they don't waste any of it in fact... what I love the most is they took their time to develop each scene especially when detective work is involved. There are several key scenes that really took it up a notch like the funeral scene or the Batman/Riddler face-off scene which was extremely well crafted and well put together. After having said all that, I do think there are some parts in the big 3rd act action set piece that might seem pretty standard and conventional. There's not a whole lot of complexity when you figure out what the endgame was. Still, it's not enough to derail this incredible Batman movie that finally uses his detective skills and I can't wait to see what Matt Reeves have in store for the next one.
5/5

Film was pretty good, not great. Pattinson is the best batman but that's not saying much because that other actors playing batman were not great. TDK is a way better film. 5 out of 10. May get better with tv shows and the next film.

Slept on it.

-The third act is decidedly weaker than the first two.
-Subjectively, I loved the Joker scene. Objectively, it was unnecessary and clear sequel bait despite Reeves insisting that his movie wouldn't get into that sort of thing.
-The ending is a little abrupt and I would've liked a more impactful final shot.
-Felt a little bit of a drag near the end of the second half with all the Falcone stuff.

Having said all of that, the first two acts are practically flawless and this is the Batman movie I've waited my entire life for.

9/10

Last edited:
Slept on it.

-The third act is decidedly weaker than the first two.
-Subjectively, I loved the Joker scene. Objectively, it was unnecessary and clear sequel bait despite Reeves insisting that his movie wouldn't get into that sort of thing.
-The ending is a little abrupt and I would've liked a more impactful final shot.
-Felt a little bit of a drag near the end of the second half with all the Falcone stuff.

Having said all of that, the first two acts are practically flawless and this is the Batman movie I've waited my entire life for.

9/10

Pretty spot on with my thoughts as well - the best way to describe this is this is a Graphic Novel come to life, and I loved the scene when he becomes the hero pulling people out of the flood, they didn't know what to make of him at first when he reached his hand out. A 9/10 for me as well, I need another two viewings to solidify where it ranks among the other films.

To be fair about the Joker Scene while it is sequel bait I think Reeves only said he wanted to make sure this film stood alone and wasn't just a set up for future films...which the film did. If no sequel happens (hah!) that scene is just a cool Easter Egg and shows how Riddler is taking to knowing his plan didn't quite work.

I liked that the ending was abrupt because it fit what was happening. Selina leaves, asks Batman to join her but he chooses to stay on mission. She goes one way, he goes another and you see him powering towards the future in Gotham. Might have enjoyed it more in the Batmobile, but the bike was alright. Plus, that was like some of the first videos we saw of filming and it is just ironic that is the last scene of the film :)

Honestly the only knock I really have (and it is barely one) is that I think the entire Falcone story wasn't needed. It gave Selina a reason for revenge and it was great to see Batman stop her from going Punisher on the bit, but honestly that could have been anyone. (the Thomas Wayne part of the story was ok) If the rest of the film is a 10 that part is like an 8.

I can't get that opening scene out of my head...the narration, the walk up the steps...THE SCORE! This is so much better than everything Zimmer or JunkieXL did...I can still feel it in the pit of my stomach 12 hours later.

Ok I had a night to stew on this after seeing the Batman last night I just gotta say I loved this movie.

It had aspects that a Batman movie has I've always wanted to see in a Batman movie and that was Batman actually doing detective work to figure out a mystery I hope they have more of this in the sequel.

Paul Dano was great as the Riddler very Psychotic in the end but there was something that confused me at the end on whether or not he knows Bruce Wayne is Batman he hints at it but then he goes back on it for some reason. I think I need to watch it again to understand that scene.

All the other characters in this movie Colin Zoey Jeffery Wright was great as well but I was really impressed with John Turturro as Falcone,

I did think the movie was a little to long but that didn't take away my Enjoyment from it.

As for that little tease at the end I knew it was coming that they has to bring Batman biggest enemy into the fray but I really hope we don't see him into the 3rd movie. I love the Joker I do but there are other Villains in Batman's Rogue gallery that I think needs to get their time in the spotlight I wouldn't mind Mr. Freeze and the fact that they delvoled Fear a lot in this movie I would be interesting to see Matt Reeves version of the Scarecrow in this universe.

Overall a great movie Im still undecdied if it's better than the Dark Knight but it's in my top 2 as far as Batman Movies goes.

This was my most anticipated movie for a long time and I'm glad I was able to watch it.

I have a feeling I need 2nd or 3rd watch before I can confidently say my opinions. But for the first rewatch, it's a great movie. It has something for everyone, but also strengths that other Batman movie even other cbm/movie doesn't. It's not without flaws either. The technical aspects are all amazing, besides some editing or VFX in some scenes. It flows really well and it has a purpose and story to tell. It's engaging and propelling. The mystery is good and compelling enough. Three hours flew past by with a good score as company. Feels like Long Halloween come alive. Like Gotham what i really want.

Performance is great all around.

I feel cheated that they released all scenes with Bruce in trailer and tv spots (since Bruce only appears in those) but this isn't Bruce's movie, this is THE Batman movie. Rob's doing a good job as Batman, he's unlike previous ones, so sometimes I'm taken aback but he's pulled out a detective and fighter Batman effectively. He looks bigger and calmer than I expected him to be despite being a vengeance. A lot of it is in his subtlety, so I need more rewatch to catch what I missed. As Bruce, he's like what Rob said, a weirdo. Feel different, but not really fleshed out so I don't think I can comment much. Will be the 2nd movie become THE Bruce Wayne movie then? I wish. But I notice how in some scenes he exudes that awkward-virgin boy persona when he was with Zoe. Which is a nice touch.

Zoe is amazing. She's naturally sexy and badass. She just embodies Selina. Penguin is funnily awesome, I want his show now lol. And Riddler OMG Paul Dano!! He's insane, he stole the two scenes he's in with his baby face and creepy smiles. I feel robbed that he does not appear that much, da**. The interrogation scene was my favorite. Gordon is funny and relatable. Love him. I really like Falcone too, he's stolen the scene he's in. Sadly, Alfred very much feels like a cameo especially considering his screen time to the 3-h time. F*** I guess I just want more from all of them. In short, in my opinion, they successfully bring out something different than previous actor's before.

Now to the story.

From the first scene with Bruce who narrates really well (his voice is the best one for me, period) and being the Batman with vengeance as the sole purpose. Yes, the main story is a detective murder mystery which is the focus in the first two acts, and the third act with the 'now we're doing superhero movie' arc basically. Which is kinda different.

I read some complaints about the third act so this is my own thoughts after i watch it. Maybe yes, it'll gonna feel like there's no build-up to the final act or no real stakes for Batman/the citizens and lower the intensity and a bit anti-climactic --like some people already did feel-- but in my opinion, it doesn't need to. I think what Matt Reeves intended isn't to create some 'superhero save the day or its over' tension but more like a realization. (Oh, i just realized something related in funeral scene to end scene, that's good! I would check it again to make sure)

And so when he narrates again at the end, his point of view and purpose is different from the first one. He changed. Reeves wants to connect the entire story, including the Riddler's plan and his goons, to Batman's arc. To me, yeah the detective batman that is fleshed out in most of the story is far more interesting than superhero batman, but we're getting both in this movie. How could I ask more? Scratch that, I'm glad about that decision.

Thinking about it more and after reading some others' thoughts, I love it more. Does it feel like TDK's third act? Maybe. For some, it's one of the weaknesses but for others, it is not. Same with this one. I do think, it tied up the story nicely.

The 3rd act in cbm mostly contains those tropes but with a bigger stake, so it feels more euphoric in the end or something like that. This feels like that too, just without much tension that seems so high throughout the story. That makes difference and I understand why there's a problem with it. Idk, everyone has a different opinion. But what Batman did in 3rd act is one of my favorite Batman moments ever.

Fighting scenes are really good, though it's not the main selling point. He's fighting like brawler. He's still made mistakes and hurt. Car chase scene is thrilling. One of my favorite moment too. Chemistry between Selina and Batman is good but idk I feel like I need more to see, because it's not focused on romance that much (more like attractions).

I write too long, but if I should write shorter I will say: Matt Reeves understood the assignment. He delivered with his style and purpose. So is everyone.

I think this gonna be a movie where you will like it the more you think about it (that's what I feel) but also upon rewatch.

Additional thoughts. Do I compare it to previous Batman movies before? The answer was yes. But I realize that it's natural, but also doesn't matter since I love them for enough different reason.

Love it. (So far I give it 8.8/10)

To your point,
No Joker , For now, BRING ON THE ICE AGE!

My take, I'll give it a 8/10 for Batman films, but TDK still gets a 10/10.

I've had some time to mull over the film and I'm going down from 9/10 to 8/10 as some lingering doubts arise. When I first saw TDKR my first reaction was that it topped TDK, but as my rational mind began to work and the excitement dropped away I found a bunch of flaws - some serious, and which really undermine the film and damage the suspension of disbelief.

I don't think the Batman has as serious a set of flaws, but as my initial excitement fades, it does have some issues. All in all still a great Batman film.

I liked that they tried a slightly different tone and the film felt like a hybrid of Burton's surrealism and Nolan's more grounded approach. For the most part it really worked.

Pattinson does the role proud, as Batman, but not so much as a very different kind of Bruce Wayne. After seeing his performance in Tenet I think he would have done well with the playboy Bruce, but that's not what what they were going for here.

Upon reflection I think they needed to differentiate more between the two - Bruce, when he appears, I kind of lifeless. As Batman he's menacing and commanding but that kind of disappears when he takes off the suit.
Bale played 3 characters, Batman the expression of Bruce Wayne's rage , Bruce Wayne the playboy and
the real Bruce Wayne : obsessed but methodical. The distinctions between Bruce and Batman are blurry, but they're there.

I suspect in the sequel Pattinson will cultivate the playboy Bruce as a cover/ method of gaining information and access.

The plus side of this is that we got a lot more Batman in costume kicking ass, investigating and just being Batman. I would wager this film gives Batman more screentime than any previous film.
The downside being is that Bruce Wayne suffers as a character.

All in all, he needed to bring a bit more life to the man behind the mask in this film.

I don't want to write an essay so I'll say that they got almost everything right

but I have a couple of gripes:

- more Alfred, such an important character needed more screentime.

- probably could have shaved 20 minutes off the film and tied up loose ends a little quicker.

- seeing Batman working alongside GCPD seemed odd, sure helping out Gordon on the side but actually being in a room full of cops....just didn't feel right.

- Not sold on Paul Dano's Riddler. He was creepy but I feel like they needed a slightly better actor to give him a greater sense of menace. As for Barry Keoghan's Joker....that guy really is flavour of the month. Yet to see a performance that impressed me from this guy. I mean Ledger transfomed his look and voice for the Joker, as did Phoenix- but Barry can't bother to hide his accent ? Piss off !

- I feel like Turturro and Farrell needed more screentime, good performances but they could have been great, with a little more to do.

On reflection going to really praise Farrell because he totally inhabits the Penguin as a character and brings some of the much needed moments of levity.

- not sure about the flooding thing.... it seems an odd plot device. Surely there was an easier way to get the Mayor into a location where the Riddler militia could attack.

Otherwise, tons of great ideas. A different take on Catwoman, and one I really liked.
Gordon got a lot to do, as Batman's partner, which moved things along.

The craziness of the Riddler militia...well, that's totally believable given some of the insane **** you see in Twitter.

I wasn't really looking for it, but does he actually kill anyone during the film ? I don't think so, which is always good.

At the end, he realizes that he needs to be more than just vengeance, that was a nice touch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"