The Batman vs The Dark Knight

Like? The only one I could see a direct influence throughout the whole film is 007 Skyfall.

TDKs legacy isn't in affecting the course of film, it's setting a cinematic benchmark for all CBMs and blockbusters. It doesn't have many "children".

The film with an inarguable ripple effect in affecting how these productions are made is 2012's Avengers. The entire Hollywood landscape is wholly different without the success of that film.

I never said the movies trying to be TDK were good, persay. Only one that was good was Skyfall (and one other below), otherwise...

Star Trek Into Darkness, Man of Steel, The Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America and the Winter Soldier, Snow White and The Huntsman, Robin Hood.

Literally all of these (and these are just off the top of my head) owe something to TDK in some form.

I never said the movies trying to be TDK were good, persay. Only one that was good was Skyfall, otherwise...

Star Trek Into Darkness, Man of Steel, The Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America and the Winter Soldier, Snow White and The Huntsman, Robin Hood.

Literally all of these (and these are just off the top of my head) owe something to TDK in some form.

Heck, many owe a lot to Batman Begins. The 'dark and gritty' reboot was the hottest thing in town after that film.

Heck, many owe a lot to Batman Begins. The 'dark and gritty' reboot was the hottest thing in town after that film.

Also true, although I'd argue that's more by proxy of a lot of stuff from Begins carrying over into TDK and people in turn taking experience from the latter.

The screenwriter confirmed this.
Oh wow. I always felt that TMNT 1990, and Dick Tracy were inspired by Batman 1989, but since they were released a year from each other (less so with TMNT) I just wrote it off as coincidence. However, if Begins can inspire a film that came out the next year then I guess it’s still a possibility.

Oh wow. I always felt that TMNT 1990, and Dick Tracy were inspired by Batman 1989, but since they were released a year from each other (less so with TMNT) I just wrote it off as coincidence. However, if Begins can inspire a film that came out the next year then I guess it’s still a possibility.

Something to consider is that Hollywood insiders aren't necessarily limited to only being influenced by movies that have hit commercial release. Sure, you won't be able to make decisions based on the financial success of a movie prior to release ( because you have no idea of it yet ), but you *could* make ones based on "Hey, this movie looks like it has a really cool creative angle".

Upon first view I'll probably give it to the Dark Knight, cause everything seems poignant and essential to the story they aimed to present.
The flood part in the Batman looked to me -going with first viewing impression- like it needlessly drags the film and is hardly related to the rest of Eddie's plan.

The Batman already has a place in my heart for some of, in my opinion, tye greatest moments we've seen of the character in live action....but The Dark Knight still remains where it is in my list of favourites.

That being said it's an unfair comparison. TDK had the launching pad of BB so I think the sequel to The Batman will be the true measure.

BB and TB really is the fairer comparison and I'd have them on equal footing. Two class starts to their respective stories.

If I could ask one thing of Reeves next time around is just to tell a tighter story, which I think he will after establishing so much here.

Soon we’ll be comparing the two trilogies. As a whole, and film by film. Nobody will be comparing The Batman to The Dark Knight in a few short years. It’ll be the next one (2025?) vs TDK.

Upon first view I'll probably give it to the Dark Knight, cause everything seems poignant and essential to the story they aimed to present.
The flood part in the Batman looked to me -going with first viewing impression- like it needlessly drags the film and is hardly related to the rest of Eddie's plan.
But it is. Edward always planned for something biblical. Judgement Day is coming blah blah. All of that talk was in the first act. Murdering an official here and there couldn’t have been what he was referring to. The flood is the pay off.

Last edited:
But it is. Edward always planned for something biblical. Judgement Day is coming blah blah. All of that talk was in the first act. Murdering an official here and there couldn’t have been what he wasn’t referring to. The flood is the pay off.

I wouldn't even argue the flood is the change. Given it's the auditorium that's erased on the drawing, I think the flood was just circumstantial to weaken the security so executing Bella Real would be easier. Which, to me, is so much more psychotic. The dude floods a city, probably murders thousands, all to enact the change of...

assassinating a politician.

I imagine this has been said a lot in here, but The Batman is the better Batman movie for sure. But TDK still gets my vote as it’s simply the better movie of the two. Though it is close.

This is gonna sound snobby but that’s not my intention. It’s just my definition of movie vs film.

A good movie vs a good film are two different things in my brain. A good movie is about the experience of watching a piece of art. A film is just the actual piece of art. I think TDK plays better as a movie going experience. It’s the better MOVIE. But I’d argue that The Batman is the better film and the lesser movie, if that makes sense. I’m not looking for ppl to agree with me on this stance. But it’s just how i see the two words, and these two movies now that I’ve let TB marinate a bit.

Lately, I’m kinda over the movie going experience. I haven’t told you guys, but for the first time in AGES I had annoying experiences when i went to the cinema to see TB. I’m usually raving about how good my theatrical experiences have been over the years but now I get why so many say F this, I’m staying home. And with the exception of one Tom Cruise movie and little upcoming movie called Jurassic World...it looks like I won’t be supporting movies in the theater for a very long time. I’m not even going out of my way to see The Northman because I can’t take ppl talking throughout the thing (after telling them to be quiet over and over). So yeah, I had a better time at the movies in 2008. But I still think TB is the better film overall.

This is gonna sound snobby but that’s not my intention. It’s just my definition of movie vs film.

A good movie vs a good film are two different things in my brain. A good movie is about the experience of watching a piece of art. A film is just the actual piece of art. I think TDK plays better as a movie going experience. It’s the better MOVIE. But I’d argue that The Batman is the better film and the lesser movie, if that makes sense. I’m not looking for ppl to agree with me on this stance. But it’s just how i see the two words, and these two movies now that I’ve let TB marinate a bit.

Lately, I’m kinda over the movie going experience. I haven’t told you guys, but for the first time in AGES I had annoying experiences when i went to the cinema to see TB. I’m usually raving about how good my theatrical experiences have been over the years but now I get why so many say F this, I’m staying home. And with the exception of one Tom Cruise movie and little upcoming movie called Jurassic World...it looks like I won’t be supporting movies in the theater for a very long time. I’m not even going out of my way to see The Northman because I can’t take ppl talking throughout the thing (after telling them to be quiet over and over). So yeah, I had a better time at the movies in 2008. But I still think TB is the better film overall.

I always find it quite interesting hearing about this stuff because it just...

doesn't happen here in the UK.

Everyone in the UK when at the cinema tends to be dead quiet and only just...laughs when something overtly funny happens. Otherwise, not a peep.

A lot of people are saying this movie has more of a Batman feel than TDK, but I don't see myself in that camp considering they didn't shy away from Batmanizing (TM) the Nolan flick as much as possible.

And I'm not under the impression you guys are saying this simply cause Pattinson kept the suit on for the majority of the flick while Mr. Bale had plenty of scenes out of it.
But it is. Edward always planned for something biblical. Judgement Day is coming blah blah. All of that talk was in the first act. Murdering an official here and there couldn’t have been what he was referring to. The flood is the pay off.
OK, so maybe I should take it as one plan was to distract from his bigger goal.

I don’t think of it so much as a distraction (although it probably helped his end game) but rather a lead up to the final course.

The Batman is my favorite cinematic interpretation of the character, but The Dark Knight is the better film.

The reason why i don't think TDK is as good of a film is
1) Nolan's editing mistakes flat out annoy the **** out me.
2) some great performances, solid solid performances, some terrible performances. It's like watching two different movies sometimes.
3) The very end is so great but it has to do music, Oldman, editing (my earlier issues in this department aren't related). But the writing doesn't add up. There's the nitpick part. The mathematics of how many ppl Harvey killed. Then there's the entire concept. Why couldn't Batman and Gordon tell police that one of Joker's weirdo clowns killed Dent and held Gordon's family hostage? It's pretty simple. It makes the big lie feel like a lazy device just to have a cool scene to end the movie on. The ending of The Batman feels more logical and it packs a different kind of emotional punch.

The reason why i don't think TDK is as good of a film is
1) Nolan's editing mistakes flat out annoy the **** out me.
2) some great performances, solid solid performances, some terrible performances. It's like watching two different movies sometimes.
3) The very end is so great but it has to do music, Oldman, editing (my earlier issues in this department aren't related). But the writing doesn't add up. There's the nitpick part. The mathematics of how many ppl Harvey killed. Then there's the entire concept. Why couldn't Batman and Gordon tell police that one of Joker's weirdo clowns killed Dent and held Gordon's family hostage? It's pretty simple. It makes the big lie feel like a lazy device just to have a cool scene to end the movie on. The ending of The Batman feels more logical and it packs a different kind of emotional punch.
Hot take, which performances where flat out terrible for your taste?

@shauner111 Here's what I think gets overlooked with TDK's ending. It's not about the logic of "they could've just blamed The Joker or a goon", there ya go problem solved.

First of all, people always say it, but blaming The Joker doesn't work (I know that's not what you said, but it's the common question people ask). He had already been apprehended prior, that's on record, as will likely the fact that he was operating in the Prewitt building throughout the ferries incident. As far as blaming a random Joker goon-- there was a perimeter of cops already on the scene. The story of how some random could've gotten away undetected would probably be a little fishy. A lie with an element of truth in it is likely going to be more effective (heck, that's exactly what Joker was so good at). Batman is witnessed by some cops fleeing the scene, so the story at least has a seed of credibility. It's also actually what happened. Batman did kill Dent. They're just conveniently leaving out that Dent held Gordon's family hostage, and using Batman's lie to conveniently absorb all of Dent's other crimes, wrapping it in a neat bow vs. having a bunch of 'unrelated', unsolved crimes that might eventually incriminate Dent anyway if they were investigated close enough. (Yes, the "2 of them cops" line will always be a mystery. Nolan even once said he would answer that "one day"...I don't think that's happening :funny:). That's a minor detail though, Dent did at least murder one cop that we saw on screen, as well as a mob boss and his driver. Maybe Maroni's driver was an undercover cop. :oldrazz:

But more importantly IMO though, Batman consciously chooses to take the blame. I don't think he does so because he thinks there's literally no other way out-- I think in a moment of clarity, he determines that it's what needs to happen. It's the culmination of his journey in the film. From the start, he wanted to pass the baton to Dent and let a lawful hero take the reigns. The events of the film cause him to have to confront the chaos he has unleashed by going about his war on crime. By intentionally casting himself as the villain who killed Harvey, he elevates Harvey as a martyr against the lawlessness that he now feels responsible for unleashing on Gotham. I always saw Batman's choice at the end as kind of an attempt to atone for his sins on the one hand, and an attempt to preserve hope for Gotham on the other. It's the natural payoff for the whole throughline about Batman being 'more' than a hero. I can't imagine the movie ending any other way.

Last edited:
for me, a thing that TDK suffers from the most is nolan's editing. At times it honestly takes me out of the movie. And when it comes to batman portrayal, i prefer the fact that we now have Bats as the main focus of the story. Love the nolan trilogy, but Chris was more fascinated by the villains and symbolism. And i gotta agree with @shauner111, TDK is just a perfect blockbuster, The Batman is just not that kind of a film and it's bound to be not for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"