What’s the better future for Batman? The Dark Knight Returns vs Batman Beyond

BH/HHH

You Are My World
Reaction score
If you had to pick between the Dark Knight Returns and Batman Beyond as the future for Batman which one would you choose?

Looking at some ways to make comparisons:

- Retired Bruce returning as the Caped Crusader vs retired Bruce tutoring a teenage Batman?
- Batman vs the Joker in the Tunnel of Love vs what happened with the Joker in Batman Beyond Teturn of the Joker?
- Batman fighting Superman vs Terry’s Batman taking on Superman (and the league) in The Call?

So which one do you prefer as an older take on the Dark Knight’s Future?

I never liked Dark Knight Returns so I choose Beyond by default.

I'm in the minority that believes the Dark Knight Strikes again was the better book.

I thought this would be pretty easy, but the more I think about it the harder it gets...

I think what it comes down to is that anybody other than Bruce as Batman jars with me no matter how good the story, so I'll go for TDKReturns.

They’re both kind of depressing, but Beyond. No contest.

For my money, Beyond, easily.

DKR
By staging his own death and defeat, Bruce Wayne gets to reinvent himself yet again.
And begins a new life, which was a well deserved ending.
Great story, explores the duality and nature of the characters. If one half can live without the other. Through Joker and Two-Face and ultimately Bruce Wayne himself, and gives a solid chapter end to the character.
There was nothing like it at the time, and pretty much everything that followed has mined it for ideas.

Beyond was fun, although at the time felt nearly like a remake of the just released passing the mantle story in Mask of Zorro.
The "new" Superhero movie out that year...

Zorro%20Shadow%20Mask.gif~original

The defeated young acolyte (Terry/Alejandro) has no means to exact vengeance for his murdered family member... In his quest for justice, he (Terry/Alejandro) untrained, unfocused is about to get his ass kicked...
Enter the old "master", to train him, ...the novice student's whole world is about to open up.
When the pupil is ready, the Master will appear...
LE45bEi.gif
The main antagonist both to dela Vega and Wayne (Rafael Montero/Derek Powers) is obsessed with owning and taking over everything the other has.
Meanwhile the young new upstart even steals the identity for his first night out, eventually the old man begrugingly teaches him how to take his revenge, exact justice, and be the best.

The cartoon had a great new look and stlye.
The Darwyne Cooke opening was spectacular!
And a great hommage to Phantom 2040
uxwzg.gif

uxwxk.gif

As to which is the better future for him? At the end of DKR although a bit insane, he seemed genuinely happy with a chance to start over.

ac02.jpg

Beyond, he seems prety happy to have passed the mantle to a worthy successor.
(or rather to his genetically-rewritten-cloned self, which is pretty damn creepy):yay:

Last edited:
I don't like either of these options, but I guess I'd say Returns since I'm not big on legacy characters.

DKR
By staging his own death and defeat, Bruce Wayne gets to reinvent himself yet again.
And begins a new life, which was a well deserved ending.
Great story, explores the duality and nature of the characters. If one half can live without the other. Through Joker and Two-Face and ultimately Bruce Wayne himself, and gives a solid chapter end to the character.
There was nothing like it at the time, and pretty much everything that followed has mined it for ideas.

Nice summing up of that aspect of TDKReturns (your whole post was very interesting) :up:

If DKR had actually been the end for Batman, it would be no contest.

I'm immensely saddened that Miller chose to crap all over his greatest achievement by writing a sequel ( much less a completely awful sequel -DKSA, barf ! and yes, Master Race isn't bad, as a standalone story but as a sequel to the best ever Batman story.....no .)

The whole point of DKR was that it was the END of Batman, something that took balls and storytelling mastery.
We always knew that there would be more Batman stories sbut IMO DKR could have stood on its own merits until the end of time. A sequel just craps all over that great glorious ending and diminishes it.

We actually give a **** about Batman in that story because he's old and bitter and decrepit, but finds the will and the gall for one last glorious ride- something we mere mortals can relate to and something completely undercut by the sequels.

Sorry, rant over.

Definitely Batman Beyond. While I love TDKR and find it to be a masterful piece of work, I absolutely prefer BB in comparison if we're talking about which alternative we find to be better.

If DKR had actually been the end for Batman, it would be no contest.

I'm immensely saddened that Miller chose to crap all over his greatest achievement by writing a sequel ( much less a completely awful sequel -DKSA, barf ! and yes, Master Race isn't bad, as a standalone story but as a sequel to the best ever Batman story.....no .)

The whole point of DKR was that it was the END of Batman, something that took balls and storytelling mastery.
We always knew that there would be more Batman stories sbut IMO DKR could have stood on its own merits until the end of time. A sequel just craps all over that great glorious ending and diminishes it.

We actually give a **** about Batman in that story because he's old and bitter and decrepit, but finds the will and the gall for one last glorious ride- something we mere mortals can relate to and something completely undercut by the sequels.

Sorry, rant over.

Have you read the prequel, Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade? If so, what did you think?

Have you read the prequel, Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade? If so, what did you think?

Wait! Prequel? I thought the only canon prequels in Miller’s world were Batman Year One and All Star Batman and Robin?

love both equally, but if I had to choose a canon ending, it would be Beyond.

Wait! Prequel? I thought the only canon prequels in Miller’s world were Batman Year One and All Star Batman and Robin?

No it's a full on prequel. It details Batman and Jason's last case together that led him to retirement and what led to Jason getting killed in Miller's world.

No I haven't although I loathed the storyline which led to Jason Todd's death - I found that vote really ghoulish.

Having said that, the idea that a Robin would grow up to be a villain.....that was clever, I liked the Red Hood story.

When I've read it,I'll let you know. I guess I get very passionate about TDKR as I remember reading it when it first came out, it was such a phenomenon and so bold - but without being tacky.

Cheers.

Batman Beyond easily for me.

No I haven't although I loathed the storyline which led to Jason Todd's death - I found that vote really ghoulish.

Having said that, the idea that a Robin would grow up to be a villain.....that was clever, I liked the Red Hood story.

When I've read it,I'll let you know. I guess I get very passionate about TDKR as I remember reading it when it first came out, it was such a phenomenon and so bold - but without being tacky.

Cheers.

No I get you. I also read TDKR when it first came out and it seemed strange to me that Miller carried the story on. I've got my own thoughts on The Last Crusade but I'll keep 'em till you've read it :up:

DKR was satire, it was a joke. Frank Miller himself would tell you that it is was not meant to be definitive.

DKR was satire, it was a joke. Frank Miller himself would tell you that it is was not meant to be definitive.

Whatever his intention was it is definitive. The fact they’ve done prequels and sequels proves that. Sometimes original intentions turn into something greater and DKR is a great example of that.

Whatever his intention was it is definitive. The fact they’ve done prequels and sequels proves that. Sometimes original intentions turn into something greater and DKR is a great example of that.

True dat :up:

There was nothing 'definitive' about TDKR because, once again, it was satire.

It being popular doesn't negate that fact.

Neither. Kingdom Come. Batman in a polyamorous relationship with Superman and Wonder woman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"