What if Burton and Keaton get together again for The Dark Knight Returns?

Rocketman

Superhero
Reaction score
Hear me out.

Nolan's trilogy is over in 2012. What if in, let's say 2015, we got Frank Miller's TDKR with Burton directing, starring Keaton, making it a trilogy for Burton and Keaton?

That way, Nolan and Burton both have great trilogies.

Batman (1989)
Batman Returns (1992)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
The Dark Knight Returns (2015, 2016?)

It seems like something that could happen, if all parties would be willing. Michael Keaton will be 64 in 2015, making him a perfect age for the film.

Thoughts?

The-Dark-Knight-Returns_512x512-300x300.jpg

I think it's a great idea. Is it possible? Sure, anything is in the film industry... But sadly, it's highly unlikely that it will happen.

I think it's a great idea. Is it possible? Sure, anything is in the film industry... But sadly, it's highly unlikely that it will happen.

If it involves Burton or Keaton not wanting to do it, I don't see how WB putting forth a lot of money would be something unreasonable.

Or, worst case scenario: Have Zack Snyder direct it, starring Keaton. Snyder actually publicly expressed that he wants to do it.

I think the movie will get made at some point... I just think it's too good to be true that it would be helmed by Burton and Keaton. Although I'd love to see it. Never say never! ;)

If they ever made an animated Dark Knight Returns, they should defo get one of the past well-known serious Batman actors to voice him. By those I mean Keaton, Kilmer , Bale or Kevin Conroy, not Clooney or West.

A live action one with Keaton? The thing is, in TDKR Miller made the point of showing that, even though he was old, Batman still looked like he was a weight lifting, kung-fu kicking, mofo, and, even back in 89, Keaton did not carry that aspect of the character without the help of a muscle suit. Nowadays, he would look like a strong wind could blow him over I imagine. So if it was a case of Fart-man vs Old Fart man, fart man would win.

Pretty much agreed with "The Bum" on this.

I think I would enjoy a long animated film, like Gotham Knight was, with the style of Tim Burton, the concepts, his ideas and stuff. It would work fine in an animated form. Musix with Danny Elfman, it could totally be an idea. Not copy-pasted but "from Tim Burton".

On a side note, I am still waiting for batman TbandTB to give us a "highly-unlikely-going-to-happen" episode with all the batmen to date, including the movie ones. One can dream.

Unless you got Nicholson to reprise the Joker, any attempted symmetry is kind of lost anyway. It feels like an all or nothing affair.

And Nicholson certainly couldn't do it.

Old Men can fight in the CGI world.

Gandalf fought a Balrog. Dooku fought Yoda.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Unless you got Nicholson to reprise the Joker, any attempted symmetry is kind of lost anyway. It feels like an all or nothing affair.

And Nicholson certainly couldn't do it.

That particular point doesn't hold water, mate... Nicholson's Joker died.

The same argument you're trying to make could be said for Bale's version of Batman. Harvey/Two-Face died in The Dark Knight... but he's integral in Miller's version of the story. So in that aspect Bale couldn't play Batman either.

Whoever makes the film (if it was Burton it'd be a shock) simply has to make it clear that this Batman is taking place outside of the Batworld we've already know & have seen.

I could see it confusing the general movie going public... But Michael Uslan did say if DKR was to be made, you'd have to use an existing Batman-player. It's a quandary eh.

Personally I think Keaton would be superb to return. I think it'd be a treat for everyone. I can see "toughing" him up ala Bruce Willis in Sin City. Give him a hairline again and even alter his jawline a bit to keep him from looking "frail" as someone mentioned earlier.

Then again, that probably won't happen. I'd be just as surprised if they cast a "Clint Eastwood" type.

Yes. Let's skip right to the end of Batman's career after his first year and a half in the cowl.

I like TDKR for what it is, and for its impact (in certain ways), and it certainly has potential, but I don't understand why it's considered the be all end of superhero movie potential.

Keaton? As Miller's Wayne?

While I never found his face/jaw "frail"...

Really?

Hell, I can't even see Bale pulling that off convincly. Imagine him saying "Right now you have a piece of glass in a major artery" in his silly Batman voice.

Maybe when Gerard Butler is 60, he and Zach Snyder can get together and make it happen.

Or Bruce Willis. Though I've always seen him as the Green Lantern in KINGDOM COME.

Yes. Let's skip right to the end of Batman's career after his first year and a half in the cowl.

Since when has anything to do with the Batman film franchise made sense? ;)

It would be awesome, but I seriously doubt it would happen.

Sure..only if Burton stopped phoning in his movie and actually showed some passion for once.

For the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman in TDKR...

Powers Booth

Go back and watch his scene with Bruce Willis in "Sin City". He's Bruce Wayne at the start of the story.

I can't see this happening, as it would confuse the audience with the other Dark Knight movies. They'll assume it is a sequel to The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, and not a continuation of Keaton's first two.

This would be a great idea, but I personally hated DKR. Besides, as others have said, Burton's Joker is already dead and by the time this actually happens, Burton and Keaton will be too old, or possibly even dead!

First off, I'm not too big of a fan of TDKR in the first place.

Second of all, Burton and Keaton aren't interested in doing anymore Batman films. They've both said it.

Burton wouldn't do a faithful adaptation of DKR that people would want to see. Not his style.

If you want to see a panel for panel adaptation, Zack Snyder is 100% your guy. And really, you should cast an actor who can actually play the Batman from that story, not Keaton, who was never really a very good Batman to begin with.

Burton wouldn't do a faithful adaptation of DKR that people would want to see. Not his style.

If you want to see a panel for panel adaptation, Zack Snyder is 100% your guy. And really, you should cast an actor who can actually play the Batman from that story, not Keaton, who was never really a very good Batman to begin with.

Bale has the edge for me, but to say Keaton was never really a very good Batman is quite a statement - how did you come to that conclusion? He got a ****load of praise for the role.

Someone posted a link here recently which details how Keaton approached the role, and he did a lot of work and went into a lot of detailed thought on how he should play Wayne and Batman. After I read it, it changed my whole outlook on the 1989 Batman film.

If you want to see a panel for panel adaptation, Zack Snyder is 100% your guy.

Agreed. I'd love to see Keaton back as Bruce, but a DCAU movie would be a better choice.

But, I do pray Zack gets to do a TDKR movie with someone like Jon Hamm as Batman.

If Jon bulked up a bit, he'd be perfect. Especially with makeup/CG to make him look older.

I would rather see 'The Dark Knight Returns' (in name only) with Bruce returning to mentor Terry in a futuristic world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"