The Damn Liberal Media Again!!

Carcharodon

Avenger
Reaction score
Study: Democrats get more A.M. airtime
By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer
Wed Aug 29, 6:37 PM ET

NEW YORK - A conservative media watchdog organization charged Wednesday that the network morning news shows have spent considerably more time this year on Democrats running for president than on Republicans.

Network news executives rejected any suggestion of bias, and said they have a considerably harder time getting Republican candidates to appear on their shows.

Through July 31, the ABC, CBS and NBC morning news shows devoted 284 campaign segments to Democratic candidates and 152 to Republicans, according to the Media Research Center. Another 81 stories discussed both parties or a possible independent run by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

"The double standard has got to stop," said L. Brent Bozell, the group's founder. "What you hope is that there would be fairness. If you are going to give that much coverage to the Democrats, give it to the Republicans, too."

The disparity was most pronounced in January, with 52 stories on the Democratic campaign and five for the Republicans. That's the month that the campaign rivalry between Democrats Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama began.

News executives say they strive for fairness, but the Clinton-Obama January jockeying is an example of how news drives their airtime decisions.

"You've got a former first lady and a black senator fighting for the nomination," said Jim Bell, executive producer of NBC's "Today" show. "That's historic. We're not going to make apologies for covering that."

Stories about the cancer relapse of Democrat John Edwards' wife Elizabeth were also counted in the total. It's unfair to count a personal story like that in a tally that suggests bias, said Jim Murphy, executive producer of ABC's "Good Morning America."

The news executives also said Democratic candidates have been far more willing to appear on their programs than Republicans.

Republican Rudolph Giuliani and potential GOP rival Fred Thompson both have standing invitations to appear on "Today," Bell said. Giuliani has been on once and Thompson has repeatedly refused the network he recently worked for (on the prime-time show "Law & Order"), he said.

"Good Morning America" announced this spring that the three top candidates from each party were invited for hourlong town meetings. Clinton and Edwards have both already appeared, and ABC is trying to work out a date with Obama, Murphy said.

None of the Republicans have committed to a town hall meeting, he said.

"The candidates are responsible for how much time they generally get," Murphy said. "They can get it by agreeing to interviews and agreeing to forums."

Bozell conceded that Republicans have shown a more pronounced reluctance to go on the air. He said the Democratic candidates have also been more forceful in pushing their campaign agendas in the early stages.

His group complained that too many of the stories on Republicans emphasized the candidates' flaws. But the morning show executives noted that one of the biggest stories of the GOP campaign has been the flagging candidacy of John McCain.

Bozell said the performances of "Today," "Good Morning America" and "The Early Show" on CBS should be watched closely because of their importance in reaching more than 10 million viewers each day.

Source

Those damned commies. :cmad:

it's the Media's fault the GOP has not yet found a Viable candidate!!!
damn them to hell!!!!

Yeah, but since Fox's bias to the right is three times ABC, CBS, or NBC's bias to the left, it all evens out in the end.

The GOP shot themselves in the foot, they best they've managed to vomit forth is

1. A Mormon
  2. A dude who can't come up with any reasons for us to vote for him besides 9/11
  3. Senator Brownback, who I'm fairly certain hates Jews, if you know what I mean

Honestly, it's not the media's fault that the Republican canidates aren't that interesting. I mean, Rudy had some good press when he started, but I think most people have moved away from him. McCain f**ked up all on his own. Ron Paul got some good press during that debate, but they will never, EVER, elect him. Really, that only leaves Romney and small fish like Mike bloody Huckabee.

Meanwhile, on the other side, you got three big canidates in Clinton, Obama, and Edwards, and they're all, whether they say so or not, playing the political game to a f**king T, making sweet and juicy comments against each other so much that Chris Mathews practically raises his set desk with his rock-hard erection.

So yeah, I think it has more to do that the Republican party is kinda lying low at the moment.

I forgot to bash McCain, I have a feeling he's going to go Rambo on congress if elected.

Network news executives rejected any suggestion of bias, and said they have a considerably harder time getting Republican candidates to appear on their shows.

This actually sounds like a good excuse. The Republicans this election cycle seem to be getting a slow start to a lot of initial campaigning.

Besides, this study only says that morning news shows give more coverage to Democrats than Republicans; it doesn't say anything about the 24-hour cable networks or the evening network news.

You realize that Republicans want Hilary Clinton to win the nomination that way they can burn her alive? :huh: As for the republicans... I'm hoping Huckabee gets it because I'm not impressed with Romney or Giulliani....

Ridonkulous. Preposterous. Outrageous.
jackie.jpg

perhaps its just because the democrates are more intresting. Maybe if Giulliani and co fired themselves out a canon or broke into a martial arts fight with an interviewer they would get more air time.

Clayton%20Bigsby-%20He%20thought%20he%20was%20white.jpg

[Clayton Bigsby]Don't let the liberal media tell you how to think or feel![/Clayton Bigsby]

:o

You realize that Republicans want Hilary Clinton to win the nomination that way they can burn her alive? :huh: As for the republicans... I'm hoping Huckabee gets it because I'm not impressed with Romney or Giulliani....

What about Fred Thompson??

Good Morning America used to be quite balanced in its presentation, but after Charlie Gibson's departure, Diane Sawyer kind of took over and it's been a bit more left-leaning ever since.

Liberal and conservative bias does exist in the media, but I've always considered it something that varies from individual to individual instead of influencing an entire genre.

What about Fred Thompson??

Thompson's being scrutinized as to whether he's running a campaign without actually having to declare his candidacy just yet so that he won't have to report campaign funds. I think he's got until January to declare. Could wind up biting him in the ass if that's what he's doing.

The GOP's got NOBODY! NOBODY, I tell ya!

jag

You can't interview people if they don't come on your show. The Repugnantcans do it to themselves because they don't want to answer any hardball questions. They would rather go on Fox and get there asses kissed by people like O'Reilly.:whatever:

Thompson's being scrutinized as to whether he's running a campaign without actually having to declare his candidacy just yet so that he won't have to report campaign funds. I think he's got until January to declare. Could wind up biting him in the ass if that's what he's doing.

The GOP's got NOBODY! NOBODY, I tell ya!

jag

I thought Thompson was waiting for Labor Day Weekend, but agree that if he's piddles around much longer, forget it. It's a sad day to be a politician. No one's bulletproof, and everyone throws integrity out the window for humanity. :down

I thought Thompson was waiting for Labor Day Weekend, but agree that if he's piddles around much longer, forget it. It's a sad day to be a politician. No one's bulletproof, and everyone throws integrity out the window for humanity. :down

He's always said he's "considering it", but he sure has done enough media and interviews about it to make one half wonder if he's just milking it to pull in dollars before he has to report them. I think he'd be a terrible Pres, personally. He'd be just like Bush only with more jowls.

jag

Headlines yesterday were reading that Thompson would announce as early as Monday but definitely next week.

Good Morning America used to be quite balanced in its presentation, but after Charlie Gibson's departure, Diane Sawyer kind of took over and it's been a bit more left-leaning ever since.

Liberal and conservative bias does exist in the media, but I've always considered it something that varies from individual to individual instead of influencing an entire genre.

Holy monkies, somebody gets it!

Yeah, but since Fox's bias to the right is three times ABC, CBS, or NBC's bias to the left, it all evens out in the end.

Not only is Fox the news station with the highest viewing ratings, but the O'Reily factor has the highest ratings of any news show on the air. And fox is way biased. I mean it's not just biased. It's so skewed that it crosses over into the territory of fraudulent and dishonest. If some rich person sued them for fraud based on their "Fox news. Your place for fair and balanced news" or "Beware you are about to enter a No Spin Zone"
the complaintant would have a good chance at winning.

Just a week or two ago Hannity had some actor on the show and Hannity goes "Most hollywood is liberal. Those guys don't wanna come anywhere near the Republican party, but unlike them, you support the troops."

What the hell is that? Trying to imply that if your liberal you don't support and appreciate the sacrifice made by our men and women overseas. Liberals aren't mad at the troops. Were mad at President Bush.

It's what neo-con creeps like Hannity do. They say that kind of crap over and over until it's so ingrained in the heads of their audiences that they automatically make the association between "liberal" and things like "anti-troop", "politically correct", "immoral".

*Shrug* The line between GOP and Democrat is getting thinner and thinner that I'm starting to see little difference. Soon media bias won't matter.

Vote for Ron Paul. Best choice for the GOP. Give the neocons a kick in the ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"