The Elder Scrolls Online

Ehh...everytime I see videos of this game I feel so unverwhelmed. It just feels so...generic.

I might give it a TRY if it's free to play...but if it's subscription based I don't see it lasting very long.

I am sure this will get taken down soon:

20 mins leaked Elder Scrolls Online footage
[yT]XVgQJzXmhOE[/YT]

I was so excited for this game, but then I heard there's going to be a monthly subscription. Why! :waa:I can't afford it :(. Guess I'll be playing Skyrim over and over...

Most MMO's are Subs and most F2P suck unless you Sub up.

Look at it this way - a monthly sub is like going to the cinema twice in one month. Except now you have 24/7, 7days a week fun :)

I opened my e-mail today and was tickled to discover that I was invited to Beta Test it next week. Anyone else receive an e-mail?

Yeah, I got an invite as well. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I can't say much without violating the NDA. I will say that overall I feel it's a beautiful game and I appreciate how well the game engine works, even on older computers.

I think fans of the ES will be satisfied. I wish I could say more.

I'm mostly concerned about questing. Obviously it won't be like Skyrim where you can go wherever you want and the game levels with you. So...my concern is they pull a TOR and the game ends up being another mmo theme park ride. :/

I'm mostly concerned about questing. Obviously it won't be like Skyrim where you can go wherever you want and the game levels with you. So...my concern is they pull a TOR and the game ends up being another mmo theme park ride. :/

Your concerns aren't unwarranted, but I will say the game is far more open than TOR.

I understand that they couldn't just have the same ES game engine, because in order to accommodate the social aspect of the game, you have to have certain players of certain levels in the same area.

While this has certain aspects of TOR in the gameplay, I will give the devs credit for trying to learn from the mistakes of TOR.

It's interesting the way some of these games develop. I was in the beta for WoW and when that came out, while Blizzard had a track record of great RTS games, when they made WoW, you could see that they looked at everything hat worked (or didn't work) in games like Ultima Online, Everquest, and Dark Age of Camelot, but they also drew from some great first person action RPG's that were out of the time.

I can see where ESO is trying to draw from other games in the genre, but it's also trying to be very original and ground breaking. Again I would tell you some of the things where I think they are missing the mark, but to do so would be violating the NDA.

But let me just say, that I think the MMO culture has completely changed. When WoW came out, monthy subscriptions were standard fair. Now people are expecting free to play, and that has come at the price of "in game puchases" for better or worse.

The only MMO out on the market that has grown in membership in the past year was Eve online. Everyone else, including WoW has lost membership. So the big question, more than if this game will be successful, is 'can it be successful enough to overcome the declining interest in MMO games?'

Anyone else seen this? I probably won't be playing this but I thought you guys might like it.

[YT]a-HyYklN55U[/YT]

I agree with about 10% of this. To compare a fan base of a movie to its video game fanbase is ridiculous. To compare an Elder Scrolls video game fan base to its MMO fan base is a lot more tangible. For many years the community of Elder Scrolls has loved their single player adventure but a deep yearning in all of our hearts was that this epic could be shared among friends.

Sure pay to play is a fine line to walk but if you've ever played a Bethesda game you'd understand they are in touch with their fans and know what they want.

I don't understand why any MMO has to be a WoW killer. It is the biggest MMO in the world but its people have also been leaving the franchise of late. I think Bethesda will have its rocky points with the game, especially in the beginning and server issues (like most new PC launch games have that are Multiplayer). But I think they have such a massive cult following from the past 15-20 years that it alone will jump start the MMO franchise.

"Free to play" is usually a ******** model anyway as you quickly find that to progress at all you'll have to pay at some point.

This guy clearly isnt an Elder Scrolls fan. He goes as far enough to say "who even asked for an Elder Scrolls MMO" the fact that Bethesda crushes with every new single play Elder Scrolls game released says a lot about how they listen to their community. We have wanted to share in these epic quests with our friends. We have settled with screenshots of our armor/skill trees and camp fire story telling of our latest adventures. But I know myself have yearned for a way to go into battle with my fellow Elder Scroll lovers.

This guy clearly isnt an Elder Scrolls fan. He goes as far enough to say "who even asked for an Elder Scrolls MMO" the fact that Bethesda crushes with every new single play Elder Scrolls game released says a lot about how they listen to their community. We have wanted to share in these epic quests with our friends. We have settled with screenshots of our armor/skill trees and camp fire story telling of our latest adventures. But I know myself have yearned for a way to go into battle with my fellow Elder Scroll lovers.

But that's just it. We wanted to experience these epic adventures with friends. Good friends. I'm almost certain what most fans actually wanted was a simple co-op experience. Just to be able to get a group of friends together, like you would for a D&D session.

A game that allows you to co-op with up to 4-6 players max. A game that is playable with friends, and at the same time still modable. But now, not only do I have to pay in order to play with friends, I can't even enhance the game experience anymore, with mods created by the community. And a closed off Elder Scrolls game on PC, is a no go for me.

Last edited:
I see your point and agree that a simple 4-6 player experience would be fun. You could just jump into your friends game through Steam, no matter where you were in the story you two could do special co-op quests that would earn you better loot/experience/gear or just discover new areas.

I would of proffered that as well actually. But to say the game is going to fail is something else. Bethesda is one of my favorite game dev companies. I want to have faith that this wont be a total fail.

I just got back into Skyrim. It truly is the best game I have ever purchased IMHO.

The Elder Scrolls Online "Imperial Edition":

RZurUuS.jpg

Last edited:
Holy **** that's an awesome collector's edition!

Are they linking the PC/PS4/Xbox One into one massive online experience!?

[YT]ej6R7YEGmO0[/YT]

I like this very much. Very similar to the Old Republic trailers. Not exactly original, but still pretty awesome.

The only Elder Scrolls game I have played in Skyrim, but I ended putting 70 hours into that. My brother has played them all. He is have real trouble getting excited about this, though I am a bit more optimistic.

Still think the price is a bit steep. This has to be your one game when you are playing it.

Are they connecting everyone on every platform for the game?

Or is it still going to be...if you're on PS4 you can't play with people on XBOX of PC. That would suck butts.

Will we ever see a game where its connected through all platforms?

Are they connecting everyone on every platform for the game?

Or is it still going to be...if you're on PS4 you can't play with people on XBOX of PC. That would suck butts.

Will we ever see a game where its connected through all platforms?

It's still separated:
PS4 users will have their own dedicated ESO megaservers (European and North American). PC and Mac users will not be on the PS4 megaservers. This is good news for PS4 players as they won’t have to worry about contending with higher-level PC players when ESO launches on PS4.
Link

"PS4 players won't have to worry about contending with higher-level PC players"

You're god damn right we're at a higher-level :D

Thanks Strained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon