The Fault In Our Stars

I have to see this as my brother is in love with Miss Woodley. The dialogue seems a bit too refined for teens, but it looks okay to me. The actors are talented.
All teenagers in Hollywood are wise beyond their years.

Havent read the book but can prob. guess the end. The guy's cancer comes back and HE dies not her?

I'm thinking the same thing. There's one shot in the previews that made me think that.

Also I read that Willem Dafoe is in this? :huh:

Yes, Willem Dafoe is in it but thankfully, they have not released any clips regarding him! (yet..)

Yes, this along with the other movie "If I Stay" show teenager's talking the way NO TEENAGER talks lol

"You can't hide in that room forever, I see you." :lmao:

I read If I Stay a few years ago. I'm probably going to see it based on this alone. and I can't lie. Using the Say Something song in the trailer totally got me a little sappy

Yes, Willem Dafoe is in it but thankfully, they have not released any clips regarding him! (yet..)

i'm kinda glad we haven't really seen him yet. should make it even better when we finally see Van Houten.

I am slammed all weekend so I've got plans to see this Tuesday with about 4 people that I recommended the book to

Well... Woodley is fantastic and some serious scenes are great but you should rather read the book (7.5/10). Some things just don't work on the screen.

4.5/10

I'm surprised this is getting good reviews.

why are you surprised?

This book/movie has a makeout scene in Anne Frank's attic. I like John Green and all but between that and the whole "it's a metaphor" nonsense with the cigarette this property seems like its way up its own ass.

I don't think the movie looks all that good. Looks kinda bad to me.

Its one of those things that, to us it might be cheesy but to a teenage girl it means the world. To me, that's pure magic.

teenage girls aren't the only fans of this book.

i know many people who have read the book and really enjoyed it. one of my friends saw it tonight and she said the movie adaptation was very well done.

there's no explosions, no aliens, etc. it's a very character driven prose focusing on teenagers living with (and dying from) cancer, their familes/friends and how they cope and get through life. it doesn't sugarcoat anything, but it also isn't a complete downer.

Generally speaking. However..I do realize that I was painting in broad strokes.

Keep in mind that I think YA is probably the flagship in terms of storytelling to the masses, be it romance or scifi. I'm an advocate.

i kinda figured you were from your post, but i figured others would take it and run it towards the "teen girls like stupid stuff" topic and i didn't want it to go there.

Shailene had the whole theater sobbing. There was so much sniffling.

my favorite line of the book is actually said by Isaac. That's the part i'm most looking forward to (and dreading)

This is already well into the black since it had a budget of just $12 million, but it sure seems like it is massively front loaded. It seems like everyone rushed out to see it during Thursday and Friday.

While the 48.2 is a huge number for this that Saturday drop is massive.

Friday (including Thursday previews) - $26.1m
Saturday - $12.635m
Sunday- $9.465m

These are estimates, but I'm skeptical Sunday will hold that good after seeing that big Saturday drop.

I'm not sure it will reach $100m, even with a near 50m opening.

I would like to see it, I have not gotten around to it since I saw Edge of Tomorrow this weekend.

The Fault in Our Stars (2014)
Director: Josh Boone
Screenwriters: Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber
Starring: Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort, Nat Wolff, Laura Dern, Willem Dafoe, Sam Trammell
Rotten Tomatoes: 82%
Grade: A

The Fault in Our Stars is a cinematic adaptation of a recent book by the same name written by Josh Green. It stars Shailene Woodley in the lead role as Hazel Grace Lancaster, a teen girl with cancer who needs an oxygen tank to breathe properly. At a "group therapy" session for survivors and patients, she meets Augustus Waters (Ansel Elgort), a teen boy and former athlete who lost half of one leg to cancer. They fall in love, though their love is doomed because Hazel knows she's going to die in the near future.

This sounds incredibly cliché, and it definitely is, but the creatives pull it off real well, there's a lot of genuine, clever sweetness in the movie, like the "holland-themed" date that Augustus sets up before letting Hazel know complete with the bones and the dutch cheese and dutch basketball jersey, or the snappy, pertinent dialogue between Hazel and Peter when Hazel and Augustus meet Peter in his home and Amsterdam, all down to how well Shaileen Woodley plays a convincing inexperienced teen girl being flirted with who is flattered but doesn't know what to do. I can hear unbelievably cheesy lines like "I'm so in love with you" and not groan; because it was earned.

The scene in Anne Frank's attic ... that's the sort of scene good writers come up with, well done. Here's a comment on that scene from Devin Faraci:
http://badassdigest.com/2014/06/05/why-i-love-the-anne-frank-scene-in-the-fault-in-our-stars/

This is completely different from my usual diet of post-apocalyptic scifi and comic book superhero movies, but whatever, I liked it. The strong reviews (82% on rotten tomatoes is a great score) made me curious, and ... they're right. A lot of heart and artisanship went into this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"