The Fault In Our Stars

Beautiful.

Incredibly faithful to John Green's book, so glad that like 90 % of his words made it to the screen practically untouched, and after being kind of weirded out at first by seeing it performed, it just completely works. We can argue for ages as to whether ANY teenager on planet earth talks like that, but it just works, I have no doubt that some teenagers are actually that sophisticated in their language but it was definitely something very delicate, and everyone kills it.

It's no need talking about Shai's & Ansel's performances because they are beautiful, truthful, perfect for the roles, they just are those characters, MOAR of these two together please (sequels to Divergent should deliver on that I'm guessing). Nat does a great job as Isaac as well, Dern & Tramell deliver & Dafoe is solid as well.

All the changes in the movie are for the best and lend the movie a fast pace overall, I especially loved the scene where Augustus shows up
in the limousine
to come pick them up contrary to what happens in the book, it's a smart change & it's well edited.

The movie looks nice visually with a lot of movement within the shots, the soundtrack fits really well (and I wouldn't listen to it as a standalone) & the score is quite good. I'd say the whole movie has a great feel to it with the combination of all these elements, it just feels right & good.

I read the book so I obviously expected everything but it's like a dream come true, and at the same time, very surreal, to see this world existing in a movie with those characters coming to life, no wonder John cried like a baby during shooting like you can see in some featurettes ^^

All the moments land just like they should, there were many tears on my side although probably not as many as all those teenage girls would ^^ I did well up on some more trivial moments, so that comes from my fandom & devotion to the book.

The whole movie could be incredibly cheesy (and I have no doubt that some cynical viewers will see it that way) but they all poured their heart in this thing, and it's just as sweet & heartfelt & profoundly human as the original story by John Green is.

It LITERALLY (^^) could not have been more perfect an adaptation than it is, huge kudos to Boone (who had a promising debut with Stuck In Love, and is now going to helm an adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand), the great screenwriters Neustadter & Weber who are responsible for 500 Days Of Summer, The Spectacular Now (incredible) & now TFIOS, they did a great job by sticking as close as they could to the book & they were right to do so, AND finally great job by the stellar cast.

OH & kudos to the integration of text messages, great visual motif.

Now, bring on Paper Towns with Nat Wolff in the lead, this should be spectacular as well.

Last edited:
i saw this yesterday. was very pleased with the adaptation. yeah i will admit i cried

I havent read the book, so i've no idea what happens. I saw the trailer and got the "I will cry my eyeballs out, cause someone will die" vibe. That's what's keeping me from seeing it, i have to be emotionally ready for movies like this lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"