• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Flash The Flash Season 1, Episode 3 "Things You Can't Outrun" General Discussion

It's like the only current show that i know of that can really take advantage of its mythology and the world that it's established in without being restrained by things like established film continuity or grounded-realism.lol

And unless the show's producers end up proving me wrong again, I actually like seeing a very close, yet platonic, relationship between the male lead and a female character on a CW show.lol

Seriously, if this were "Arrow", Barry would be sleeping with Snow by now.lol

Don't get me wrong..I love "Arrow" as well...but this show really portrays Barry in a way that makes him a 100 times more better of a person than Oliver is on a personal note.

One thing I noticed is when Iris mentioned her childhood, she only said she had her dad and Barry in her life. So does that mean Wally might be Joe's nephew since it appears that Iris has no other siblings

My review (cross-posted):
One of the things that I've enjoyed most about Arrow is Oliver Queen's episode-opening monologue, and I'm therefore glad to see that the tradition has been ported over to The Flash in its entirety (we got a couple of 'pseudo monologues' for the Pilot and last week's episode, but it was nice to see a full-on Arrow-style monologue accompanying tonight's episode, particularly given how exposition-heavy most of the episode itself was.)

I've liked both Caitlin and Cisco since the Pilot, but it was nice to see some flashbacks featuring them and to get a better sense of their individual personalities, particularly Caitlin. The Pilot does a pretty effective job of setting up that she's been damaged by the death of her fiancee, but actually getting to see a flashback to that event really helps explain exactly how damaged she is; it also helps to temper one of my most significant complaints from last week's episode, which was that the writers at times moved her away from filling the archetypal role of Barry's "female confidante" (i.e. Felicity), and there's a part of me that wishes we'd seen these flashbacks (or at least portions of them) last week. I'm also finding myself wishing that the writers will pair her and Cisco together romantically if she doesn't end up rekindling things with her not-quite-dead fiancee Ronnie.

I know there are people out there who will vehemently disagree with me, but Barry and Iris really don't belong together romantically in spite of Barry's unrequited feelings for her. The episode-opening scene of them walking out of a movie theater would've had a completely different feel to it if they were a couple and, IMO, would not have worked nearly as well as it did. In fact, most of their interactions both in this episode and in the previous episodes would not have worked as well as they did with the characters being a couple.

I love Jesse L. Martin as an actor, and he's really owning the role of Detective West. I love that he's both Barry's personal and professional confidante, and the fact that he's aware of what Barry can do - and of his 'extracurricular' activities - adds a ton of layers to the show that you really couldn't get any other way, particularly now that the writers have introduced the ongoing subplot of formally re-opening Nora Allen's death and conducting a brand-new investigation.

I'm so glad that Iris and Eddie aren't sneaking around anymore when it comes to their relationship and Joe's knowledge of it, and got a tremendous kick out of Joe admitting that he was already aware of the secret they'd been trying so desperately to hide, particularly since it allowed for some very fatherly and protective banter between the three of them. Joe's quip about things being very different if the doctor hadn't taken away his gun was a particular highlight of that exchange, as was his quip about trying to resist shooting Eddie since Iris is smitten with him.

I really want to know more about Henry Allen, particularly his past relationship with Joe. The scene where Joe went to Iron Heights to apologize for having him wrongly imprisoned and inform him that he was formally re-opening the investigation into Nora's death was really touching, even if it was 'ruined' by the arrival of the villain of the week, Mr. Kyle Nimbus (AKA The Mist)

Speaking of, I really liked him, and am hoping we'll see him again, especially since he's the first adversary Barry's faced that wasn't fatally neutralized. His metahuman ability was freaking awesome, and I love the way the actor carried himself, as it added a nice additional dimension of creepiness to the character and his vendetta. He also reminded me of one of my favorite Arrow villains, Seth Gabel's Count Vertigo/The Count, which is another reason I'm hoping we'll see him again at some point.

As cool as it is to have somewhere for Barry to put these superhuman enemies he keeps on coming up against, I can't help but get the feeling that the very existence of this place is going to come back to bite him in the rear sooner rather than later, and that Doctor Wells is going to be somehow responsible, particularly since the writers just keep on piling on the shady with him.

I've said in previous reviews that Iris is clearly meant to fill the same archetypal function as Laurel, but the last two episodes - particularly tonight's - have given her a very Chloe-esque archetypal role as well in the form of her interest in "The Streak", and I'm really intrigued to see where this particular subplot leads her.

This show continues to improve week-to-week, and is easily one of the best new things on TV right now. It's also a worthy companion to Arrow (which itself continues to improve week-to-week).

In closing, I can't wait for Felicity to visit Central City next week, although I do question why the writers are having Barry introduce her to Cisco and Caitlin and tell them that she works/worked with Oliver/The Arrow when they're already aware of this.

Another good episode, the flashback's were good development for Caitlin and Cisco and the dynamic between Barry and Joe is the shows anchor.

I thought the origin of the villain was great, he was basically a walking gas chamber. Instead of "The Mist" they should have called him "Death Penalty" :D

Man, this show is just so good. It knows how to balance itself so gracefully. Reminds me of the same reasons that made BTAS so great.

I love this show!

Funny that the guy playing The Mist is the same one that is going to play Zsasz on Gotham.

Funny that the guy playing The Mist is the same one that is going to play Zsasz on Gotham.

Awesome. Hopefully he won't be so busy that he can't make a return appearance or two here, though.

Another good episode, the flashback's were good development for Caitlin and Cisco and the dynamic between Barry and Joe is the shows anchor.

Agreed. I gotta admit, when I had first seen the pilot...I wasn't the biggest fan of either of their characters. Not that I hated them of course; I just didn't feel really invested in them like I was with the members of Team Arrow (which I know is a unfair comparison since Arrow's had the luxury of being ahead by 2 seasons.lol).

However with last week's episode along with tonight's one, it really added a lot of much needed depth for both characters imho and I can honestly say that I'm invested in them now thanks to how they handled the flashbacks and how they mirrored it with their actions as of late.

It's really going to be exciting to see Team Arrow and Team Flash having to work with each other because there's such a different flow of atmosphere in the two groups.

Best episode yet.

Only negative is Iris' romantic subplot.

It's like the only current show that i know of that can really take advantage of its mythology and the world that it's established in without being restrained by things like established film continuity or grounded-realism.lol

And unless the show's producers end up proving me wrong again, I actually like seeing a very close, yet platonic, relationship between the male lead and a female character on a CW show.lol

Seriously, if this were "Arrow", Barry would be sleeping with Snow by now.lol

Don't get me wrong..I love "Arrow" as well...but this show really portrays Barry in a way that makes him a 100 times more better of a person than Oliver is on a personal note.

Well, to be fair, Arrow is about Oliver Queen, and sleeping with women left and right is kinda part of the character.

Why is that a negative? Pairing her with Barry is only going to ruin the dynamic they have, and she and Eddie work very well together as a couple.

If Eddie gets revealed as Zoom (doubtful considering Well's scenes keep stacking up evidence pointing at him being Zoom) I'm gonna find the whole romance with Iris hilarious knowing That Thawne would have done it entirely to screw with Barry's life.

If Eddie gets revealed as Zoom, I'm gonna find the whole romance with Iris hilarious knowing That Thawne would have done it entirely to screw with Barry's life.

Why would you draw the conclusion that Thawne is dating Iris solely to screw with Barry's life should he (Thawne) end up becoming the Reverse Flash?

Why is that a negative? Pairing her with Barry is only going to ruin the dynamic they have, and she and Eddie work very well together as a couple.

It's a negative not because she's going out with Eddie, it's just because I didnt care and wasnt engaged with their scenes or their story. I found her little subplot boring. I never said anything about pairing her with Barry right away.

Why would you draw the conclusion that Thawne is dating Iris solely to screw with Barry's life should he (Thawne) end up becoming the Reverse Flash?

Because he's a time traveller (this we DO know about Reverse Flash on the show), I'm not talking about if he becomes Reverse-Flash, I'm talking about if he already is Reverse Flash.

Just because Reverse Flash is probably the person who killed Nora doesn't mean that Eddie Thawne already has the Reverse Flash's powers in the present (provided he does in fact become the Reverse Flash); time travel doesn't behave linearly, so, if Thawne does end up becoming the Reverse Flash, he could have potentially traveled back in time from a point AFTER he'd acquired his powers and developed a vendetta against Barry.

Just because Reverse Flash is probably the person who killed Nora doesn't mean that Eddie Thawne already has the Reverse Flash's powers in the present (provided he does in fact become the Reverse Flash); time travel doesn't behave linearly, so, if Thawne does end up becoming the Reverse Flash, he could have potentially traveled back in time from a point AFTER he'd acquired his powers and developed a vendetta against Barry.

I was going in a "what if" scenario, and you're trying to dismantle it with a different "what if" scenario like this is some sort of debate? I did not saying anything with the intention of it being taking as more than a simple idea of how something could play out. And I did not say that I thought it was the only way it could play out if Eddie is Reverse Flash.

I wasn't trying to come across as confrontational, and I apologize.

Eddie being Reverse Flash already the first time we see him and simply dating Iris to mess with Barry would certainly be interesting, and I actually think it would make me like his relationship with Iris MORE.

Because he's a time traveller (this we DO know about Reverse Flash on the show), I'm not talking about if he becomes Reverse-Flash, I'm talking about if he already is Reverse Flash.

Even if he isn't Reverse Flash yet it doesn't mean a future version of himself didn't decide to hook a younger him up with Iris just to screw with Barry. If Thawne is the Reverse Flash from Barry's child hood it would make Barry and Iris unnecessarily complicated though.
"Hey remember that time I was shagging the guy who killed/was destined to kill your mom? Good times."

What will it take to have him called "Flash"?I thought Barry would come up with it on his own.

I think he takes on name The Flash in episode six. The episode title "The Flash is Born," leads me to believe that anyway.

Another great episode, man I'm loving this show.

I think he takes on name The Flash in episode six. The episode title "The Flash is Born," leads me to believe that anyway.

Not to mention he used the name "The Flash" in the shows intro. The name is coming soon.

Worst episode of the series so far. The expositional dialogue is starting to get old; the villain was terrible (just like all the others); the special effects were unimpressive (to say the least); the climax was anticlimactic; Danielle Panabaker was dreadful; and I really couldn't care less about Eddie and Iris as a couple, and I'm starting to feel the same way about them as individuals.

6/10.

Worst episode of the series so far. The expositional dialogue is starting to get old; the villain was terrible (just like all the others); the special effects were unimpressive (to say the least); the climax was anticlimactic; Danielle Panabaker was dreadful; and I really couldn't care less about Eddie and Iris as a couple, and I'm starting to feel the same way about them as individuals.

6/10.
Was just going to post basically the same thing. Danielle's acting takes me out of scenes sometimes, it's that bad. Her "goodbye" moment to Ronnie was cringe inducing.

"He'll be on the run for the rest of his life, and something tells me he's not that fast"
Joe West talking about Barry's dad and Barry's idea of getting him out.
It's more amusing to think about it cause this Henry is played by the first live action Flash.
Flash museum reference
I love that.
And what seems like a Fantastic Four joke, storm and shuttle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"