The Fortress of Solitude

I would love to see the one he had in the Amazon for a while. If you've not read it, he was using an old pyramid left by the Mayans as his fortress. I liked this idea, it was overgrown so you could not see it from outside or above, and even if you get close enough it was pretty much in ruin. But getting there's the real security, 200 miles of nothing but jungle and every poisonous and ravenous mouth out there waiting for you to fall.

So I think, Jungle fortress then he moves to the arctic eventually.

I could see that working it would be interesting way to go. I read online about the amazon one.

I think the FOS should be completely eradicted from the Superman mythos, especially in a more realistic, darker tone re-boot that the new movie will most likely take, ala Batman Begins. Any Superman comic I liked, had nothing to do with the FOS. In this day in age, there would be no way in hell that the FOS would not be detected, even if it was in the deep arctic. Idk it's just my opinion but everytime he goes into the FOS it just gets a little more lame.

I understand your reservations.

There does indeed seem to be a bit of a problem with...security, in the films, at least. (Did Lex ever arrive uninvited in any of the comic books?)

Also, if one were to attempt to tie the film's universe and the Fortress into a semi-recognizable contemporary world, per se, there is a bit of a problem with...global warming, depending on what you believe (how long would the darn thing last?) ;)

So, perhaps a "warmer climate" might indeed be the way to go...?

The question overall is how to make it work logically within the context of the film's universe and story.

I like the idea of not even establishing it until sometime in the second film, or merely teased at the end of the first...

Thanks for all of your thoughts -- keep 'em coming!

:word:

i agree we dont need it in our face for a first film maybe hint at him wanting a place at the end of the first film or if you do want to say if he has something from his ship that helps him build it or is a date storage device to maybe have it appear at the end of the film.

Well....at least being the harshest of cold climates means more isolation and less chance of it being stumbled upon. Plus the polar regions have stretches of 24-hour sunlight....nice if he needs to recharge while relaxing at his bungalo hideaway.

i agree we dont need it in our face for a first film maybe hint at him wanting a place at the end of the first film or if you do want to say if he has something from his ship that helps him build it or is a date storage device to maybe have it appear at the end of the film.

Second film....use it as a key as to how Braniac arrives on Earth if you tie Braniac somehow to Krypton.

or you could have brainiac be in the first film cause he senses a kryptonian on earth during his journey through the universe. And then when supes "defeats" him he uses some brainiac tech to build the FOS and then stores brainiac knowledge of krypton/universe their. And maybe they can take that cue from the STAS show with that alien who took creatures from different worlds and maybe say brainiac on his main ship has some alien speicies he was studing to help lead to becoming biological being or some deal(hint hint towards the much later brainiac 5 of legion).

or you could have brainiac be in the first film cause he senses a kryptonian on earth during his journey through the universe. And then when supes "defeats" him he uses some brainiac tech to build the FOS and then stores brainiac knowledge of krypton/universe their. And maybe they can take that cue from the STAS show with that alien who took creatures from different worlds and maybe say brainiac on his main ship has some alien speicies he was studing to help lead to becoming biological being or some deal(hint hint towards the much later brainiac 5 of legion).

Nah, that's too much. Just a few short scenes.

few short scenes of what?

Of whatever...just keep it short. Checking out archived info, learning more about Krypton, Braniac coming to life after incubating and growing as AI that stowed away on his ship when he was a baby...just simple stuff.

ok yea that can work out. Well i might not have him be with clark ship, just brainaic comes to earth, and then after superman defeats him takes his information from the universe and makes a safe place to keep it.

I thought the Smallville Fortress was hidden for "common" people. That is good enough for me. Only Superman can find it.
As for a door or a key ? The key is part of the mythos all right , but why not a doormat and a peephole ?
The fortress is not a house, it is the secret place of a God.

Last edited:
Or just put a Sloman Shield Security sign out front.

well actually in smallville it looks like it did have some defenses like when chloe first entered it was going to kill her and then the others who have been their either was taken in their by clark or was able to break in when it was damaged or lex via that stupid orb thing.

i thought it was just cuz it was extremely cold that she was starting to pass out, i dont really remember what happened.

but i did find the whole SR thing to be really dumb, that Lex could find the fortress so easily and just walk in. i wouldnt mind something similar to STAS's fortress, it would make the fortress more like a home for Superman rather than just a place to go to grab some information and then fly out. Maybe within the Fortress the room that stores all the information about the galaxy could be made out of crystals like donners version and thats where all the information is kept.

Yea i do like the crystals to still be used and have them just be a storage system. like how we use cds/dvds to store information and what not. As for the rest of the look it doesnt need to be like FOS of donner's take and same goes for krypton to be a new and different look.

I'd still like the tech to be 'massless'...no crystals or what have you. It comes on as holographic panels, then disappears when not in use.

if you look at the concept art for SR they had a lot of holographic panels coming up on Superman's ship. i was really surprised they didn't incorporate any of that in the fortress.

why couldnt the crystals be apart of the holographic tech, like i said they should be used as a storage device and maybe even some sort of special power source then powers the holo stuff?

Because the holographic stuff doesn't need a device for storage or power, at least not something with visible mass....it doesn't have to be explained or justified that way. It shows up when used, then goes away when not....and we won't spend much time with it anyway. And I'd like not to use the crystals again. Crystals were the basic overall motif behind the design of Krypton from before, a new movie should have a different approach to Krypton's design and its technology. No crystals.

I liked the Donner crystalline fortress version, but it's too simplistic now to realistically come across as a structure designed by a race of beings far more advanced than us.

I agree with the post above that the Superman/Doomsday version was quite good. Have the Fortress composed of crystal by all means, but have it much larger, more sculpted and include some type of Kryptonian computers and perhaps robots.

I agree with you kalmart we dont need to see krypton as a ice/crystal world, i too want to see a new and different look for krypton. And i said it before really only the crystals themselfs is an element i would like to see still used but approached differently so its not totally like donner.

but i did find the whole SR thing to be really dumb, that Lex could find the fortress so easily and just walk in.
I think it was not dumb at all. Lex already found how to access the fortress. He is the only one who was able to do it. The only human able to find the fortress (and steal from Superman !), I do not consider it as dumb but, as great. Furthermore, I think it is original to have the hero stolen from instead of the usual "I'm in danger, but not really. Let's just have my girlfriend kidnapped and pretend that it is an awful situation". I think the idea of a human penetrating in the Fortress and stealing from Superman is a very original idea, that really weakens the hero. THAT is drama for me.
I'm specifically talking about the idea. The execution of it did not really please me.
I liked the Donner crystalline fortress version, but it's too simplistic now to realistically come across as a structure designed by a race of beings far more advanced than us.
Indeed, I think the opposite. I like the fortress as depicted in the 60/70es (Superman: Doomsday), but I think the kryptonian civilisation should be far more advanced that holographic stuff (robots ?, screens ?). That is what we got today and maybe what we'll get in 100 years. I think Crystals is really advanced. And the whole fortress being built out of crystals, I think it is beyond anything man could build. I think it is cold, complex, exactly as if a piece of Krypton alien thing was there.[/QUOTE]

i thought it was just cuz it was extremely cold that she was starting to pass out, i dont really remember what happened.
Yes, Chloe was dying of exposure because she was in the arctic. It had nothing to do with any defense system. Clark had to convince Jor-El to stop his training so that he could help her, but that was it.

I like the key idea. A small key that weighs a hundred tons. I dunno about having it weigh half a million tons though, thats a bit out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"