The Fortress of Solitude

This is a tricky topic because no matter how you look at it, studios like to attract people with what they are familiar with (which is why we are in remake land right now). So, the Donnerverse, I think, will have an impact in this area. I suspect an FOS will be a given and that it will be in the North Pole. Will it be crystals? Hard to say. It COULD be. I hope that it won't. Not that I don't like it, but its been done.

The FOS needs to be hidden in some way. Crystals look like ice so they blend in....if it's above ground. I would like a place that is either underground or hidden by some shield that makes it invisible. Crystals could be there as a nod to the Donner version, but in no way as the main thing. Make it look alien and fill it with interesting things. Give it a reason to exist other than a hole in the ground for supes to get away from it all. If that's all it will be, then don't even bother having it.

Fundamentally, that's all it really is, although I would substitute "hole in the ground" with "cabin in the woods/hills", and that's all it needs to be. It humanizes him. It's his place to get away from it all, no disguises nor ruses exist for him in the Fortress.

Watched a "Criminal Minds" recently in which the characters all went on vacation. Each went to a destination, Gideon to his retreat, a cozy cabin in the woods, when his cabin is violated by his career (a box containing a severed head arrives) it's too much for him to accept, he no longer has any place where he feels protected from work's stress, and that realization drives him over the brink. That's how I see the Fortess' function in Superman's life.

Fundamentally, that's all it really is, although I would substitute "hole in the ground" with "cabin in the woods/hills", and that's all it needs to be. It humanizes him. It's his place to get away from it all, no disguises nor ruses exist for him in the Fortress.

Watched a "Criminal Minds" recently in which the characters all went on vacation. Each went to a destination, Gideon to his retreat, a cozy cabin in the woods, when his cabin is violated by his career (a box containing a severed head arrives) it's too much for him to accept, he no longer has any place where he feels protected from work's stress, and that realization drives him over the brink. That's how I see the Fortess' function in Superman's life.

I see the point you're trying to make but with his powers he can go literally anywhere to get away from it all. Heck why not go to visit his folks in smallville if he wants to go "home". Or the Himalayas. Or any location of the planet or off planet. He doesn't really need a specific structure to "get away". There are so many isolated locations on the planet that humans don't frequent he'd have his pick of anywhere. If you want to go to the trouble of Having a fortress then it really needs to serve some functional purpose beyond "getting away" b/c he could do that anywhere away from people.

Would it be a problem if he build it on the Moon somehow?

:ninja:

You callin me dry?

There isn't anything cheesy about crystals.

But they have been done to death and it was never an accurate reflection how the fortress was handled in the comics anyway. It was an original idea when introduced in 1978. But now it's inflitrated everything even Smallville at this point and it would be nice to see something else. At least the version in the new animated film Superman/Batman apocalyse was icy but hi-tech.

I always thought Burton's Fortress of Solitude concept was kind of cool.

I like crystals, and it's obviously influenced his comic lore of late. I don't want to see a Fortress made from giant crystals again, but I wouldn't really mind seeing some of the crystal tech.

Give it a reason to exist other than a hole in the ground for supes to get away from it all. If that's all it will be, then don't even bother having it.

That's what it began as, though. It's called The Fortress of Solitude for a reason. I would say the exact opposite. If that isn't the main reason the Fortress exists...then he shouldn't have it. I don't have a problem with some Kryptonian elements later on, science and tech and whatnot, but I really want to see Superman create the Fortress because he simply needs it.

I see the point you're trying to make but with his powers he can go literally anywhere to get away from it all. Heck why not go to visit his folks in smallville if he wants to go "home".

Because maybe he doesn't always want to be around his parents, or even in Smallville.

Or the Himalayas. Or any location of the planet or off planet. He doesn't really need a specific structure to "get away". There are so many isolated locations on the planet that humans don't frequent he'd have his pick of anywhere. If you want to go to the trouble of Having a fortress then it really needs to serve some functional purpose beyond "getting away" b/c he could do that anywhere away from people.

I think the reason the Arctic was the location that was originally chosen is fairly obvious (aside from the fact that the idea was stolen). Even more so perhaps than the Himilayas. There are potentially 6-7 times as many people living in the Himilayas as the Arctic, numbering in the tens or dozens of millions VS a few million. And there are even fewer people living in Antarctica, generally somewhere around a few thousand.

Last edited:
I always thought Burton's Fortress of Solitude concept was kind of cool.

I like crystals, and it's obviously influenced his comic lore of late. I don't want to see a Fortress made from giant crystals again, but I wouldn't really mind seeing some of the crystal tech.

Agreed that could be cool.

That's what it began as, though. It's called The Fortress of Solitude for a reason. I would say the exact opposite. If that isn't the main reason the Fortress exists...then he shouldn't have it. I don't have a problem with some Kryptonian elements later on, science and tech and whatnot, but I really want to see Superman create the Fortress because he simply needs it.

Gonna disagree with you here. It wasn't even called the Fortress of Solitude originally nor was it in the artic. Take a look at this link:

http://www.supermantv.net/articles/fortress.htm

Here's an exerp:
In comic book history, in July 1942, Superman finishes his construction of his mountain retreat. This huge building in the side of a mountain is not yet named the Fortress of Solitude. It's also not depicted as being in ice or snow near the North Pole.

The newly completed citadel features a collection of trophies of Superman's past adventures and a fully equipped gymnasium. The building features a large Superman shield over the front.

I think the reason the Arctic was the location that was originally chosen is fairly obvious (aside from the fact that the idea was stolen). Even more so perhaps than the Himilayas. There are potentially 6-7 times as many people living in the Himilayas as the Arctic, numbering in the tens or dozens of millions VS a few million. And there are even fewer people living in Antarctica, generally somewhere around a few thousand.

I meant if he needs to get away he could fly atop a lofty mountain or go to some other remote location anywhere. He doesn't need a particular structure for that. He can fly off planet even. If you want to have a particular location that he goes to then give it a reason to exist ie like the way the animated series handled it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_of_solitude

Superman: The Animated Series and Justice League Unlimited present a slightly altered version, with the Fortress located in the ocean underneath the Arctic tundra; access was gained by diving into the Arctic water and emerging in an opening inside the Fortress. This version contained an alien zoo housing alien life-forms saved from The Preserver's ship and some computer equipment, along with a Brainiac information sphere stolen from his hijacked spacecraft just before it was destroyed, which is used by Superman to access information about Krypton. The fortress also contains massive sculptures of Superman's biological parents, Jor-El and Lara, serving as monuments to Krypton.

Also while the Artic has permanet human residents, an indigenous population and is connect and accecible via other land masses the Antartic is not. It's actually a continent with no permanent human residence.

Antarctica, on average, is the coldest, driest, and windiest continent, and has the highest average elevation of all the continents.[2] Antarctica is considered a desert, with annual precipitation of only 200 mm (8 inches) along the coast and far less inland.[3] There are no permanent human residents, but anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000 people reside throughout the year at the research stations scattered across the continent

Seriously just compare the two:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica

Having the fortress in Antarctica would make a lot more sense

Gonna disagree with you here. It wasn't even called the Fortress of Solitude
originally nor was it in the artic. Take a look at this link:

You're going to disagree with me on what? That it's called The Fortress of Solitude for a reason?

In comic book history, in July 1942, Superman finishes his construction of his mountain retreat. This huge building in the side of a mountain is not yet named the Fortress of Solitude. It's also not depicted as being in ice or snow near the North Pole.

I'm aware of the secret citadel.

But I didn't say "citadel". I said "Fortress of Solitude". And I talked about where it was located specifically. I don't call the secret pre-Batcave passages in Wayne Manor the Batcave. I don't consider this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rLV-ZuNPwJ4/TGsV3ZKOMII/AAAAAAAAHtE/qaOanw8UGyY

The Batmobile.

And I don't consider Superman's secret citadel his fortress of solitude. Because it wasn't. It was similar, but the Fortress was an entirely different concept, with elements of the citadel and the Batcave, which was likely itself inspired in some fashion by Zorro's cave and Superman's citadel, rolled back into it.

I meant if he needs to get away he could fly atop a lofty mountain or go to some other remote location anywhere.

How is flying atop a lofty mountain better than having your own secret place to be alone, think, and experiment, and remember your lineage?

He doesn't need a particular structure for that.

He kind of does. But it's more about want, I would think.

He can fly off planet even. If you want to have a particular location that he goes to then give it a reason to exist ie like the way the animated series handled it:

Some versions of Superman can fly off planet. Some can't breathe in space.

Superman: The Animated Series and Justice League Unlimited present a slightly altered version, with the Fortress located in the ocean underneath the Arctic tundra; access was gained by diving into the Arctic water and emerging in an opening inside the Fortress. This version contained an alien zoo housing alien life-forms saved from The Preserver's ship and some computer equipment, along with a Brainiac information sphere stolen from his hijacked spacecraft just before it was destroyed, which is used by Superman to access information about Krypton. The fortress also contains massive sculptures of Superman's biological parents, Jor-El and Lara, serving as monuments to Krypton.
As I recall, none of those things existed when the Fortress was first created. Am I to believe animated Superman created a "Fortress of Solitude merely to house a likeness of his parents".

It's called The Fortress of Solitude. Its intent is clear.

It's HIS place. An actual place.

For solitude. Where he can be alone.

Seriously just compare the two:

I already did. Not having permanent residents doesn't mean there aren't people there at any given time.

Having the fortress in Antarctica would make a lot more sense

It would.

Except that Superman is Santa Claus. And isn't the Arctic closer? He'd want something in his backyard, not on the opposite pole of the world.

I have no issue with the concept of what it is, but my issue is that (for a movie) its gotta have more. If not, then it doesn't need to be put on screen.

This is a part of Superman that most people kinda know about, but don't really care about. He's got a fort in the snow. It's shiny and white. He goes there to cry sometimes.....and..... that's about it. If he is going to get some re-invention, then give the FOS some more meaning beyond snowy getaway and pretty visuals.

I want it to be treated as more than that bathroom on the 3rd floor that nobody goes in, so you can run over there when you have to take a mean dump....yeah....you know that place. :woot:

The best way to make it clear the FOS matters more is for Superman to build it himself, not to have a crystal left by daddy build it for him. A more personal touch lets us understand the man himself a little more. That's part of why the classic FOS is more to my tastes. It shows Superman is a thinker and an eclectic sort of guy.

Last edited:
I have no issue with the concept of what it is, but my issue is that (for a movie) its gotta have more. If not, then it doesn't need to be put on screen.

Well, of course it will need to have more. But it doesn't need to have more right away, or when its first created.

"Well, my Fortress of Solitude is completed. Better get some work done."

I want it to be treated as more than that bathroom on the 3rd floor that nobody goes in, so you can run over there when you have to take a mean dump....yeah....you know that place. I have no issue with the concept of what it is, but my issue is that (for a movie) its gotta have more. If not, then it doesn't need to be put on screen.

I realize you're going for humor here, but...

A, that would make him more relevant and relatable.

B, The Fortress is a huge ice fortress in the Arctic.

Where Superman goes to rest, and to think. A place of peace and meditation.

"Been there, done that" or not, it is still a unique concept.

He's not taking part in casual everyday activities. It's for the rare times he needs a break. How is that not a big deal in the context of the mythology?

They could try something different and put the Fortress in South America.

New_Fortress_of_Solitude.jpg

You're going to disagree with me on what? That it's called The Fortress of Solitude for a reason?

I'm aware of the secret citadel.

But I didn't say "citadel". I said "Fortress of Solitude". And I talked about where it was located specifically. I don't call the secret pre-Batcave passages in Wayne Manor the Batcave. I don't consider this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rLV-ZuNPwJ4/TGsV3ZKOMII/AAAAAAAAHtE/qaOanw8UGyY

The Batmobile.

And I don't consider Superman's secret citadel his fortress of solitude. Because it wasn't. It was similar, but the Fortress was an entirely different concept, with elements of the citadel and the Batcave, which was likely itself inspired in some fashion by Zorro's cave and Superman's citadel, rolled back into it.

the point is the idea didn't start of as the fortress of solitude. That was stolen from Doc Savage, name location and everything. The idea however of a secrect location that he used to get away from it all and keep relics was very much alive in the Secret Cidal. The idea was there they just changed the name and location to cash in on Doc Savage. No point in arguing it. If BAtman had a cave where he did his crime fighting but it didn't happen to be officially named the "Batcave" pretty sure it was the same location concept and all.

How is flying atop a lofty mountain better than having your own secret place to be alone, think, and experiment, and remember your lineage?

YOu emphasize the idea that he builds this impressive fortress to just...get away. That is something he could do anywhere. Yes flying off atop a lofty mountain would serve that sole purpose just fine. However if he wants a place to go to learn about his heritage, keep relics of his adventures, and do more than sit around watching tv then yeah, a huge secret fortress makes sense. Yes it is a location for his personal pursuits, a location of solitude. But if he's just there to chill, sit around and do nothing then no it's not really needed. In the comics it's always had some function.

He kind of does. But it's more about want, I would think.

Some versions of Superman can fly off planet. Some can't breathe in space.

As I recall, none of those things existed when the Fortress was first created. Am I to believe animated Superman created a "Fortress of Solitude merely to house a likeness of his parents".

THe Fortress first appeared on the show when he removed the sphere from Brianiacs ship, he needed a place to store it so he brought to a location he liked in the arctic. I believe he said something about he knew he'd find a use for this place or it's potential etc. Later he adds the animals from the Collectors ship. So yes it is a place for solitude, he "me" time but he didn't just decide go find a random place to get away, it had a function in the show.

I already did. Not having permanent residents doesn't mean there aren't people there at any given time.

It would.

Except that Superman is Santa Claus. And isn't the Arctic closer? He'd want something in his backyard, not on the opposite pole of the world.

I'm sorry but what? :huh:

the point is the idea didn't start of as the fortress of solitude. That was stolen from Doc Savage, name location and everything. The idea however of a secrect location that he used to get away from it all and keep relics was very much alive in the Secret Cidal. The idea was there they just changed the name and location to cash in on Doc Savage. No point in arguing it. If BAtman had a cave where he did his crime fighting but it didn't happen to be officially named the "Batcave" pretty sure it was the same location concept and all.

I'm not even sure why you're making that point, to be honest. I'm not arguing that the Secret Citadel isn't a similar idea. But the Secret Citadel is not The Fortress of Solitude. It is not located in the Arctic, as the Fortress was.

You emphasize the idea that he builds this impressive fortress to just...get away. That is something he could do anywhere. Yes flying off atop a lofty mountain would serve that sole purpose just fine.

Based on what? This is a man with superhearing. How is just flying to the top of a mountain going to do anything? Hell, in JJ Abrams SUPERMAN script, Superman flies to the top of a mountain to be able to hear people with his superhearing better.

I suppose he COULD fly to the top of a mountain, or to wherever else, but the mythology has this place...it's called The Fortress of Solitude. It's Superman's choice not to go flying around to mountains when he needs rest and meditation. So I prefer to honor that mythology, rather than make up reasons why he wouldn't need that and could go sit on a mountain. I don't really think it needs to be justified outside the fact that this is what the character himself decides is needed.

However if he wants a place to go to learn about his heritage, keep relics of his adventures, and do more than sit around watching tv then yeah, a huge secret fortress makes sense. Yes it is a location for his personal pursuits, a location of solitude. But if he's just there to chill, sit around and do nothing then no it's not really needed. In the comics it's always had some function.

No one is advocating he do nothing but "chill" there all the time.

Being a place of rest and meditation IS a function.

I have said very clearly that it should eventually have other elements than just a place of solitude.

But it doesn't need to start out as Superman's Batcave. It should start out as a place of solitude, perhaps with the idea that it can become more. And then, when he's comfortable with who he is and what he's doing, he can expand it, if he wants to bring work home, or add touches of Krypton.

THe Fortress first appeared on the show when he removed the sphere from Brianiacs ship, he needed a place to store it so he brought to a location he liked in the arctic. I believe he said something about he knew he'd find a use for this place or it's potential etc. Later he adds the animals from the Collectors ship. So yes it is a place for solitude, he "me" time but he didn't just decide go find a random place to get away, it had a function in the show.

Apparently, the function was to be a storage locker for a sphere that contained information about Krypton. A sphere he could have kept in his closet.

Sue me if I don't find that concept half as compelling as...a place to rest and meditate AND keep a sphere with information about Krypton.

So the show decided the Fortress should be used for storage VS solitude.

How does that have any bearing on my statements about what it should be in a film?

I'm not even sure why you're making that point, to be honest. I'm not arguing that the Secret Citadel isn't a similar idea. But the Secret Citadel is not The Fortress of Solitude. It is not located in the Arctic, as the Fortress was.

Based on what? This is a man with superhearing. How is just flying to the top of a mountain going to do anything? Hell, in JJ Abrams SUPERMAN script, Superman flies to the top of a mountain to be able to hear people with his superhearing better.

I suppose he COULD fly to the top of a mountain, or to wherever else, but the mythology has this place...it's called The Fortress of Solitude. It's Superman's choice not to go flying around to mountains when he needs rest and meditation. So I prefer to honor that mythology, rather than make up reasons why he wouldn't need that and could go sit on a mountain. I don't really think it needs to be justified outside the fact that this is what the character himself decides is needed.

No one is advocating he do nothing but "chill" there all the time.

Being a place of rest and meditation IS a function.

I have said very clearly that it should eventually have other elements than just a place of solitude.

But it doesn't need to start out as Superman's Batcave. It should start out as a place of solitude, perhaps with the idea that it can become more. And then, when he's comfortable with who he is and what he's doing, he can expand it, if he wants to bring work home, or add touches of Krypton.

Apparently, the function was to be a storage locker for a sphere that contained information about Krypton. A sphere he could have kept in his closet.

Sue me if I don't find that concept half as compelling as...a place to rest and meditate AND keep a sphere with information about Krypton.

So the show decided the Fortress should be used for storage VS solitude.

How does that have any bearing on my statements about what it should be in a film?

I guess i'm arguing something that doesn't need to be argued. I see your point. I'd rather discuss other things about the fortress. How would you like to see it introduced in the film ie is it location he stumbles across during an adventure or is it something he actively looks for after coming to the realization that he needs a place to help him get away?

I wrote a Superman script years ago where he actually creates it from scratch. Basically gets overwhelmed with all the things he can hear and see, and when Lois tells him he needs some solitude, he seeks out one of the most desolate places in the world to rest and meditate on things. Burrows into the ice of the Arctic, finds an existing Arctic cave of sorts and uses his strength, heat vision and superbreath to create himself a place of solitude. I don't know how many massive, natural caves there are in the Arctic, but I'd love to see something like that. I think he needs to actively look for it. And then I have no issues if some kind of Kryptonian tech improves upon it somehow, I'd love to see the nods to his homeworld, the aviary, etc at some point.

Well, why not combine the two (finding an outpost and building it himself). As far as I'm aware, outposts are pretty small, basic things. It would be nice for him to find it somehow (from data in his ship telling him about it) but ignoring it outside of checking it out properly.

Then, after experiencing the ups and downs of crime-fighting, decides to use it to 'get away'. When he gets more comfortable and experienced in the role of superhero extraodinaire, he decides to expand on the outpost; making it bigger, restyle it in honour of his Krypton heritage, and start storing artifacts/knowledge he collects etc.

That way, we know Kryptonians had been there before (not Jor-el imo, LONG before him), helps make Superman consider he'd been sent there on purpose (not stated outright) and that it is important to him because he decides to 'make it his own'.

I just feel that's a bit too much like Batman.

I just feel that's a bit too much like the cave scenario in the current Batman franchise.

You know, I actually don't think I'd mind if there was no Fortress of Solitude.

I want the FOS but I don't see it as this place Superman has to run to to get away from things, I see it more as his HQ/Clubhouse like the Batcave. Because Superman has done enough running away for years now. It also needs to be self-built, his own creation, not something that is built for him by a crystal or left by previous Kryptonians.

I wrote a Superman script years ago where he actually creates it from scratch. Basically gets overwhelmed with all the things he can hear and see, and when Lois tells him he needs some solitude, he seeks out one of the most desolate places in the world to rest and meditate on things. Burrows into the ice of the Arctic, finds an existing Arctic cave of sorts and uses his strength, heat vision and superbreath to create himself a place of solitude. I don't know how many massive, natural caves there are in the Arctic, but I'd love to see something like that. I think he needs to actively look for it. And then I have no issues if some kind of Kryptonian tech improves upon it somehow, I'd love to see the nods to his homeworld, the aviary, etc at some point.

That's pretty cool. I see your point. I think that could work well.

Well, why not combine the two (finding an outpost and building it himself). As far as I'm aware, outposts are pretty small, basic things. It would be nice for him to find it somehow (from data in his ship telling him about it) but ignoring it outside of checking it out properly.

Then, after experiencing the ups and downs of crime-fighting, decides to use it to 'get away'. When he gets more comfortable and experienced in the role of superhero extraodinaire, he decides to expand on the outpost; making it bigger, restyle it in honour of his Krypton heritage, and start storing artifacts/knowledge he collects etc.

That way, we know Kryptonians had been there before (not Jor-el imo, LONG before him), helps make Superman consider he'd been sent there on purpose (not stated outright) and that it is important to him because he decides to 'make it his own'.

This is my prefered choice. Love the idea that ancient kryptonian scientists were here before, thousands of years ago and left behind an outpost. Perhaps that's why brianiac comes to earth b/c he finally tracks down a relic from krypton. At the same time clark discovers it. He eventually makes it a second home for himself, he uses it to study his culture and learn about the heritage of krypton, he interfaces his ship with it to update the technology and last moments of krypton (as viewed from his ship), he also collects artifacts from his adventures there. it would be something like the Fortress in All-Star Superman. I'd love to see that on screen personally.

Last edited:
To have the extensive knowledge of earth and it's affect on a Kryptonian body then some Kryptonian scientists/explorers were there before.

I think it would be interesting if a few hundred years ago (or a few thousand) Kryptonian explorers set out to discover other habitable worlds. On each world they setup outpost to work from in remote locations so as not to interfere with native populations. The scientists were surprised when they landed on earth and the effects of the yellow sun. After years of exploring all the various off planet expeditions were recalled but the outposts remained intact and cloaked from detection. It's remained sealed for several thousand years.

Essentially the fortress is one of these outposts.

As one of Kryptons top scientist and scholar Jor-el is familiar with these outposts and places a key of sorts in Clark's ship that will unseal the fortress. It also has updated information on all things Kryptonian, so once Clark places it into the fortress everything is download and it updates the databanks so they included everything including his ships journey to earth and the planets final moments broadcast from Jor-el to the ship.

Also the superman suit is essentially an exploration type outfit Kryptonians used while on earth. They found that as they began testing the limits of their newfound abilities only clothing that was close to their skin remained intact. They developed the body suits as a sort of second skin and it inherited their invulnerability.

Also as far as motivation for someone like Brainaic, i don't think he was Kryptonian in nature but sought out the planets vast information, as it was one of the most technologically advanced civilizations ever known.

He once sought to absorb it's knowledge and destroy it as he'd done countless other world's only to discover this shining light in the universe was already destroyed. He's tried to find any trace of the Kryptonian outpost but b/c of the cloaking technology he can't locate them. He's sent out countless probes in search of anything Kryptonian. Eventually one probe lands on earth and finds Clark's ship, (Clark is a teenager at this point) and tries to remove the key (which will both lead it to the fortress and unlock its secrets). Clark has an altercation with the robot and destroys it, but recovers the key and begins his journey to discover his heritage. the robot is recovered by Lex Luthor, reverse engineered and eventually reactivated, it broadcasts its location to Brainiac's ship in space, thus leading Braininac to earth.

Can I just say how pleased I was when watching Man of Steel that some of these ideas I posted back in 2010 were scene on the big scree :woot: Not sure if Goyer is lurking around here or not but you know where those ideas came from...and you're welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"