The Defenders The Future of The Defenders

are there any metrics on how popular or unpopular The Defenders was?

Netflix doesn't get any benefit from giving viewership numbers, so they don't give them.

are there any metrics on how popular or unpopular The Defenders was?
I don't know about metrics, but Defenders could have been a lot better than it was. It wasn't trash, but I did have higher expectations for it as a series; bringing the four together, their interactions, and the threat they faced. I don't know, I just didn't get that epic feeling I was expecting to get from it.

Not surprised Netflix isn't getting a second season. It was supposed to be the culmination of all the Netflix MCU series' and it didn't really make waves. Critically or among fans. The solo series have all had more success in at least 1 way. So it makes sense that they aren't moving forward

Well, who or what could be an antagonist with a force or power large enough that would require all of the street heroes to band together again?
There are tons of characters they can draw from and reinvent, there's also a current comic book with the same cast of characters that could be a source of possibility. I know before the Hand was announced I wanted to see the Hood creating a criminal cult with magic. Not powerful enough to attract Dr Strange's attention but enough to be formidable against the Defenders. I also had the idea that the Hood would use a spell to capture and put under his control Ghost Rider, which would be revealed at the end of the second to last episode, making the finale be the Defenders vs Ghost Rider. Doesn't have to be a villain compelling enough for a full season or a series, just fun enough for a few episodes.

Netflix doesn't get any benefit from giving viewership numbers, so they don't give them.

Yeah, all there is out there is estimations by other people. I know this forum discussed one article that said it was the lowest viewed of the Marvel shows, I also remember a list that said it was in the top five most binged Netflix shows for that year. So who really knows. The fact that Kristen Ritter hasn't had conversations about it is pretty telling, very least they have to make sure she's available.

Still I find it tough to believe that Defenders is canceled, I mean if Iron Fist can get a season 2 I don't see why Defenders can't. It could be they want a longer wait between seasons, but at the very least it looks like it's not happening anytime soon.

There are tons of characters they can draw from and reinvent, there's also a current comic book with the same cast of characters that could be a source of possibility. I know before the Hand was announced I wanted to see the Hood creating a criminal cult with magic. Not powerful enough to attract Dr Strange's attention but enough to be formidable against the Defenders. I also had the idea that the Hood would use a spell to capture and put under his control Ghost Rider, which would be revealed at the end of the second to last episode, making the finale be the Defenders vs Ghost Rider. Doesn't have to be a villain compelling enough for a full season or a series, just fun enough for a few episodes.

Yeah, all there is out there is estimations by other people. I know this forum discussed one article that said it was the lowest viewed of the Marvel shows, I also remember a list that said it was in the top five most binged Netflix shows for that year. So who really knows. The fact that Kristen Ritter hasn't had conversations about it is pretty telling, very least they have to make sure she's available.

Still I find it tough to believe that Defenders is canceled, I mean if Iron Fist can get a season 2 I don't see why Defenders can't. It could be they want a longer wait between seasons, but at the very least it looks like it's not happening anytime soon.
Probably because of viewership. That's what it comes down to. For some reason IF got more views and is cheaper than Defenders.

Iron Fist is probably cheaper to make, and many reports indicate that Iron Fist actually had a sizable viewership for its first season. Higher than that of Defenders, though we have no hard data to go off of.

Many thing have been pointing at it not coming back for me. All the other Netflix shows were announced for renewal fairly quickly, except this one. Also, when Defenders debuted on Netflix, it listed it as Season 1, and now the show is listed as Limited Series. Given these clues and the fact no one is talking about doing another one, I just don't see it happening.

I don't know about metrics, but Defenders could have been a lot better than it was. It wasn't trash, but I did have higher expectations for it as a series; bringing the four together, their interactions, and the threat they faced. I don't know, I just didn't get that epic feeling I was expecting to get from it.

I was the same. It was utterly underwhelming when it could have been the best series of them all.

Iron Fist is probably cheaper to make, and many reports indicate that Iron Fist actually had a sizable viewership for its first season. Higher than that of Defenders, though we have no hard data to go off of.

Many thing have been pointing at it not coming back for me. All the other Netflix shows were announced for renewal fairly quickly, except this one. Also, when Defenders debuted on Netflix, it listed it as Season 1, and now the show is listed as Limited Series. Given these clues and the fact no one is talking about doing another one, I just don't see it happening.

I remember there being talk of Iron Fist hurting Defenders as being a poor lead in. I wonder if that could be the case, because IF was riding the wave of enthusiasm that DD, JJ, and LC made. Also I don't imagine Defenders costing that much more per-episode than IF.

I remember there being talk of Iron Fist hurting Defenders as being a poor lead in. I wonder if that could be the case, because IF was riding the wave of enthusiasm that DD, JJ, and LC made. Also I don't imagine Defenders costing that much more per-episode than IF.

Honestly, I think what hurt Defenders was the commitment. We as fans can watch 13hrs a season and follow it when they come out, but a more leisurely viewer may not want to watch that show just because it has Daredevil in it, for example. They may not have wanted to watch the other shows, thus skipped it. For films, it's easier. 2hrs x 5 movies is 10hrs over the course of like 3 years. But, each Netflix season is 13 x 5 = 65 hrs...plus another 8hrs for Defenders. I can see people more leisurely just skipping the idea. I don't think Iron Fist would have made people who loved all the prior shows except Iron Fist skip Defenders.

Honestly, I think what hurt Defenders was the commitment. We as fans can watch 13hrs a season and follow it when they come out, but a more leisurely viewer may not want to watch that show just because it has Daredevil in it, for example. They may not have wanted to watch the other shows, thus skipped it. For films, it's easier. 2hrs x 5 movies is 10hrs over the course of like 3 years. But, each Netflix season is 13 x 5 = 65 hrs...plus another 8hrs for Defenders. I can see people more leisurely just skipping the idea. I don't think Iron Fist would have made people who loved all the prior shows except Iron Fist skip Defenders.

Good point

Personally, I really hope that we get some kind of second season for this show. I feel like it has a lot of untapped potential, especially if the producers are able to secure a bigger budget (something akin to the Lost in Space series would be great), select better villains, and have Danny in his iconic costume.

The fact that Daredevil was the only one that actually wore a costume somewhat hurt the iconography of the titular group and made him stick out a sore thumb at times.

Plus, I really want to see the reaction that the rest of the Defenders will have upon learning that Matt is still alive.

After watching Iron Fist season 2 I've been having feeling that the lack of a Defenders season 2 is because they want the other shows to continue a few seasons uninterrupted so their show runner can have more freedom.

If you look at how each show has ended their post Defenders seasons Jessica looses her supporting cast but gains probably the first stable positive relationship in her life, Punisher decides to deal with his issues in a more constructive way, Luke Cage effectively becomes a crime boss (minus the crimes), and Danny leaves New York to find a path to call his own. For the most part each character breaks apart their status quo and the effects of this should be explored in their follow up seasons as opposed to a team up season on a different show. It almost feels like that was the goal given to every show runner for these seasons.

Right now I feel like a sequel to Defenders may happen after Iron Fist season 3. But that may be a pipe dream

Recently, it was announced that The Punisher was renewed by Marvel/Netflix for a 2nd season. This bought 2 points up for me:

1 - Netflix evidently still has the distribution rights to the existing Defenders characters passed 2018. Speculation was they may lose the shows once Disney starts their streaming service, especially when losing Marvel and Star Wars movies was such a big deal in the media, but that does not look to be the case.

2 - The Defenders has yet to be renewed for a 2nd season, and if the only Marvel/Netflix show not announced for an additional season. This is interesting. Many reports state Defenders had less viewers than the main shows did, and the Defenders just didn't catch fire the way I think Netflix/Marvel wanted.

Do you guys think we are done with the Defenders show itself? Luke Cage set pics show that other characters will still crossover with each other, but do you think another big Defenders team-up will happen? Are they maybe waiting until after Punisher season 2 to do this? Do you think a 2nd season is even needed?

What do you guys think? For me, I like these shows will remain on Netflix as I think that allows them to be more adult. But, at the same time, Netflix is unlikely to get new characters, so others like Blade and Moon Knight, who would excel on the Netflix platform, likely won't make the jump there. That part is a bit disappointing. But, it is good for the existing shows. As for a 2nd Defenders season, I like the characters when they interacted, but the Hand and plot was weak. If there is a 2nd season, a much more interesting threat is needed. I feel like this show was boring in that regard. Further, was Defenders doomed due to the crossover nature in a way? For the Avengers, it required watching 5 movies to catch up, with Defenders it required 5 season of 13 episodes all being about an hour each! That is a much bigger commitment. Is that too much to ask an audience? I think it can work, but is definitely a hurdle.

I support a new show but the membership can be fluid. Punisher can be an unofficial member, even though his tactics are abhorred by the likes of Cage, Daredevil, and possibly Jones and Rand. (Jones probably wouldn't shed tears over a drug gang being shot up, and if they were Hand-related Rand might not blink, but they still might have a problem with Castle's seemingly cavalier approach).
I don't know who else could be involved as far as heroes.

They could evolve in another direction and incorporate Misty as an official member along with Colleen, Daughters of the dragon. Heroes for Hire could finally be a thing.

Well guys, the Defenders FB page I think it is was just changed to NX. Sounds like Defenders is done.

Well guys, the Defenders FB page I think it is was just changed to NX. Sounds like Defenders is done.

Well, so much for seeing any superhero teams in the Netflix world again.

That would be an interesting thing. If say we get Defenders season 2 in say 2020 but it consists of some other street-level heroes. Maybe even use a DD or Luke Cage in a supporting role to introduce other ones.

I don't think we're getting anymore Defenders at all. If there is another team-up show, it will likely have a different name.

I hope that there is another combination, if it is Power Man & Iron Fist, or Punisher and Jessica Jones, Misty Knight joining Iron Fist and Colleen, some lineups like that.

Shame that we won't get a superhero team in the Marvel Netflix world for the foreseeable future. Damn.

I like the idea of Defenders being a "team-up" series, just whatever combination of which ever characters that can relate to the story they want to tell. It doesn't have to be all four/five main characters every time

They need to get it right for the second season, i am sure they will make it better.

Just make a Heroes for Hire TV miniseries.

Shang Chi would be an amazing announcement for disney’s New streaming service.

And I don’t think marvel were damned if they do or don’t, as long as they got an Asian front runner or director they would have been fine. Let’s be honest, they did do it and were damned anyway so good idea to do something different

After Punisher S02 and JJ S03 I'd like to see...

Heroes For Hire
Daughters Of The Dragon
Shang Chi
Punisher S03
Daredevil S04
...and...
Shadowland S01 (aka Defenders S02)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"