• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The general public's preferences

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
*NOTE: I had no idea where to put this, as it wasn't quite movies or tv, but both. If there is a better place, please let me know or at least move it there.

Today it was announced that Young Justice and Green Lantern: TAS were cancelled; and with that news, and that WB/DC have been focusing with only Superman, Batman, and Justice League material for their DTV line, do you think they are onto something and that the general public only prefers Superman, Batman, and the Justice League, and nothing else?

There are still exceptions, like Arrow, and the new Wonder Woman pilot (which is being pushed back), and we know Green Lantern and Aquaman can still work; but when BTAS was airing, people asked "where's Superman?"; they also did the same for Batman Beyond and The Batman, too. STAS was airing, people asked "where's Batman?" and got him and other DC characters. Green Lantern: TAS had Hawkman, but people wondered where the Justice League were; and Young Justice had the Justice League, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted them to be the show, rather than supporting characters of a show.

So, do any of you think the general public prefers only those characters/franchises?

Why in the world are they cancelling Young Justice?

Why in the world are they cancelling Young Justice?

Because Batman needs a new show where we get rid of most of the recognizable parts of his universe and show it in crappy CGI.

And because they're run by idiots.

What I find equally as weird is that there's no shared universe of DC films, even though they're all owned by the same studio, so it should be incredibly easy for them.

What I find equally as weird is that there's no shared universe of DC films, even though they're all owned by the same studio, so it should be incredibly easy for them.

I'd say the main reason for that is all the styles / genres clashing. Batman, at least in the Nolan films, lives in a fairly mundane world. Nothing supernatural.

Superman is an alien from another world, who mostly fights aliens, and human scientists with futuristic technology.

And then there's Wonder Woman...

It's hard to make all those characters work in one film.

There's no shared universe because WB has a very hard time getting DC properties besides Batman and Superman to translate on the big screen. Most of that is their own incompetence though. There was a JL in the works before Avengers was even announced but they tanked that too. I think DC wants to do a shared universe now that Marvel has been successful with theirs, all they have to do is figure out a way to make their characters work for film and also probably get someone who knows comics to help them too

Honestly, I don't think the general audience has anything to do with *any* of these decisions. WB cancelled Young Justice and Green Lantern as part of their perpetual pursuit of the 8-12 kid demographic, just like most every cartoon that doesn't hit that demo hard gets cancelled. The people in charge of most animation studios simply aren't interested in crossover appeal, they want the kids and their parents' toy dollars, or they'll wipe it and start over.

As for the movies? WB is simply dysfunctional inside, such that its hard to get anything going that's even slightly risky.

I'm not sure about Green Lantern TAS but I thought Young Justice got great ratings, even in the 8-12 demographic?

I almost think it's because of the upcoming Justice League movie--WB has this thing where there is a moratorium on related TV things when they are making movies. No Batman TV shows while the Nolan movies were being made, so maybe something that sounds like Justice League has to go as well.

Will WB just sell DC to Disney and get it over with already?!?

I'm not sure about Green Lantern TAS but I thought Young Justice got great ratings, even in the 8-12 demographic?

I almost think it's because of the upcoming Justice League movie--WB has this thing where there is a moratorium on related TV things when they are making movies. No Batman TV shows while the Nolan movies were being made, so maybe something that sounds like Justice League has to go as well.

The Brave and the Bold was on during Nolan's run.

Will WB just sell DC to Disney and get it over with already?!?

Its never going to happen. Even if WB stopped making *any* adaptations, they'd still rake in the merchandising money.

That said, I agree with the premise, that Disney could do a better job making their movies. Or more specifically, Marvel Studios could do a better job. ;)

Disney bought Marvel, WB bought DC.

deal with it.

I'm really peeved that we're losing two great shows in Young Justice bad Green Lantern fir a poorly animated returning show that I never liked in Teen Titans Go! and yet another Batman show. Why can't they just expand DC Nation?

To be honest though I think p Beware the Batman will get a decent run and I'm expecting TTG to end after one season to make way for a new Superman or Justice League show

I'm really peeved that we're losing two great shows in Young Justice bad Green Lantern fir a poorly animated returning show that I never liked in Teen Titans Go! and yet another Batman show. Why can't they just expand DC Nation?

Because they suck and are stupid.

Why can't they be like FX or AMC? Whenever a show ends they have a new show to take its place for the other portion of the year. They are almost never without original material that way. They can have Beware the Batman but when they run out of episodes of that they could have just replaced it with Young Justice while Batman gets worked on. And so forth

On the bright side, they can't take away our BTAS, Justice League Unlimited, and '90's X-Men DVDs. :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"