The Illuminati thread [spoilers]

Eh, the entire 818 universe was portrayed as pretty arrogant with the exception of Christine. I'm sure that the 616 Richards will be warmer as a character, whether he's played by Krasinski or not. But man, Feige better hide if they cast anyone besides Kraskinski. They've gone too far now.
What? I certainly hope not. Reed should in no way be a "warm" character. If anything, Krasinski wasn't arrogant enough. He was written as arrogant, but completely failed to sell it as authentically part of his character.

Also, I believe they overpowered Wanda for the sake of the movie. This was not the person who wasn't able to contain an explosion in CA:CW.
Did you miss Endgame where she almost single-handedly took out Thanos? Or the whole TV show centered on her rewriting reality itself, conjuring magic out of nothing? Her powers have been growing exponentially for some time now.

What? I certainly hope not. Reed should in no way be a "warm" character. If anything, Krasinski wasn't arrogant enough. He was written as arrogant, but completely failed to sell it as authentically part of his character.
By warmer I mean "not a complete *******".

also the plot kinda hinged on Chavez being the only one who can travel across universes... so if they made it seem like multiverses travel was a causal thing there, it wouldn't make since for her to continue to chase Chavez

tho, clearing they were aware of interdimensional travel and were studying other universes, so, idk
Thats a good point

Okkkk im sorry i cant picture it. That seems like a completely off the wall choice for Reed. I really cannot picture it.

If this report is accurate it makes me question Krasinski's future with the franchise. Maybe this was just a fun cameo for fans, and not an indication of Feige's plans for the FF.

If this report is accurate it makes me question Krasinski's future with the franchise. Maybe this was just a fun cameo for fans, and not an indication of Feige's plans for the FF.

Word is Craig was going to play Balder. Reed could never have been in the cards for him. That would have won an award for "Worst casting of a popular actor" hands down.

I don't think there's ANY WAY IN THE WORLD they recast Reed at this point. It's just not going to happen. As a matter of fact, I think the "Blunt not being interested" is a big, fat load of BS. Marvel wants to keep up waiting so we all go crazy when the casting is announced.

PS....It's going to work. LOL

The Illuminati were definitely one of the main highlights of the movie, but it was also very obvious that none of them were in the same room together. Whether it was COVID, schedules, or both it definitely took me out of it a bit. It was also very obvious that Reed's suit was CGI and in a majority of spots it looked off. Kind of a letdown that there was no Iron Man equivalent there as well.

I kind of liked how the Illuminati were both arrogant and utterly stupid. For a group that only captured Strange by drugging him they were really sure that they could handle anything and everything. Perfectly reflected by stupidly telling Wanda what their trump card was. Of course I get the hesitation. Wanda was basically using herself as a hostage. So straight up taking her out in the first move may not have been appealing. Though they considered themselves cold enough to make the necessary decisions, they were also arrogant enough to think they had the luxury of choice.

Xavier was the best of the bunch as expected. Just awesome and very much Charles. Sure, he didn't outright free Strange but he trusted him. I'm sure he didn't really think he could stop Wanda. Though I'm sure he was legitimately trying. That at worst he could at least buy time was likely his plan. He was just the best of them. He wanted to give Strange a chance. That just because a version of him made bad decisions doesn't mean this version of him shouldn't have the opportunity to make good ones. And Wanda herself was a prisoner to the darkness and her own power. If he could have saved her then this situation could have been resolved with 'less' bloodshed.

I'm glad Balder didn't happen as I have no clue about him. From google, he's related to Thor? But still such a random character to be introduced as part of the super group.

I find it hilarious seeing Krasinski-Reed stans balk at Craig as Reed given that Craig is way closer to how Reed is portrayed in the comics.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more it was a huge mistake not to have ATJ's Quicksilver on the Illuminati. That would have made for a far more poignant scene that actually would have carried emotional and narrative weight, instead of just throw-away fan-service.

I just wanna say, Anson Mount was excellent in this film. He really brought his all, and it showed. Really great stuff he did here. Unlike Krasinski with Reed, I thought he really embodied Black Bolt and I would not mind him coming back to play the role in the main timeline.

I'm glad Balder didn't happen as I have no clue about him. From google, he's related to Thor? But still such a random character to be introduced as part of the super group.
In Norse mythology, he was the most beloved of Asgard. All things took an oath never to harm him. People would shoot arrows at him and nothing would harm him. Loki got a shoot that had not taken the oath and when it was shot at him, it killed him.

In the comics, he was a great warrior, but lesser than Thor. The comics adapted some of the Norse mythology about him.

I wouldn't have made him one of the Illuminati. I would have maybe had Namor, but I think they have other plans for him in an upcoming movie.
I kind of liked how the Illuminati were both arrogant and utterly stupid. For a group that only captured Strange by drugging him they were really sure that they could handle anything and everything. Perfectly reflected by stupidly telling Wanda what their trump card was. Of course I get the hesitation. Wanda was basically using herself as a hostage. So straight up taking her out in the first move may not have been appealing. Though they considered themselves cold enough to make the necessary decisions, they were also arrogant enough to think they had the luxury of choice.

Xavier was the best of the bunch as expected. Just awesome and very much Charles. Sure, he didn't outright free Strange but he trusted him. I'm sure he didn't really think he could stop Wanda. Though I'm sure he was legitimately trying. That at worst he could at least buy time was likely his plan. He was just the best of them. He wanted to give Strange a chance. That just because a version of him made bad decisions doesn't mean this version of him shouldn't have the opportunity to make good ones. And Wanda herself was a prisoner to the darkness and her own power. If he could have saved her then this situation could have been resolved with 'less' bloodshed.

Still think there could be a future twist with the way the Illuminati handled this.

Craig would make a terrible, terrible Reed IMO. The way I look at it, the Illuminati we saw don't necessarily correlate with what we may see in future MCU movies. They are variants.

Good post. I agree Xavier came across well. The Illuminati totally underestimated the “little witch”
and were an arrogant dumb bunch lol. Captain Carter also got a good showing I thought.

Yeah I can't see Craig as Reed at all. Balder could be fun for him in a future Taika-directed Thor movie if it's in the cards.

Good post. I agree Xavier came across well. The Illuminati totally underestimated the “little witch”
and were an arrogant dumb bunch lol. Captain Carter also got a good showing I thought.
Xavier seemed way underpowered compared to the comics (not a big deal). His powers of mind took out the Juggernaut, for example, as soon as the helmet came off. I agree he got a good showing though and that's what led me to suspect there was something about the Illuminati that is yet to be revealed.

Xavier seemed way underpowered compared to the comics (not a big deal). His powers of mind took out the Juggernaut, for example, as soon as the helmet came off. I agree he got a good showing though and that's what led me to suspect there was something about the Illuminati that is yet to be revealed.
He was, yeah, but the Illuminati were just a means to an end in this film. If we ever get them in the 616 MCU I think it will be very different and they will have much more importance.

This is just off the top of my head, but I could see a MCU Illuminati (dare I say 616 without inviting ire???LOL) inviting Strange to join them, him saying something like "I've seen how effective you are before", and then gets an explanation of why this version of the Illuminati acted the way they did. It could be that Reed already knew how to move through the multiverse and their actions, through coordination, were the only way to defeat the threat of the Scarlett Witch.

I know I'm hoping any of the versions of the Illuminati aren't that underwhelming, but that would be sort of a cool approach.

It seems that now we have a full picture of Waldron's plans for the Illuminati.

For those who don't know, the Illuminati line up from the comics consists of:

1. Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic, Leader of the FF
2. Charles Xavier/Professor X, Leader of the X-Men
3. Doctor Stephen Strange, Sorcerer Supreme
4. Tony Stark/Iron Man, CEO Stark Industries
5. King Blackagar Boltagon/Black Bolt, Ruler of the Inhumans
6. Prince Namor McKenzie/The Submariner, Ruler of the Atlanteans

The line-up Waldron originally wanted in MoM for his 838 Illuminati along with the actors he wanted for them and those the studio wanted:

1. Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic (John Krasinski)
2. Charles Xavier/Professor X (Patrick Stewart)
3. Tony Stark/Superior Iron Man (Tom Cruise)
4. Balder Odinson/Balder The Brave (Daniel Craig)
5. King Blackagar Boltagon/Black Bolt (Anson Mount)
6. Prince Namor McKenzie/The Submariner (No actor revealed thus far)

Because the studio wasn't able to get Cruise due to scheduling conflicts with MI7 nor Craig for yet to be confirmed reasons and Feige asked Waldron not to use Namor, we end up with some substitutes for both Balder & Namor in the final 838 Illuminati line-up seen in MoM:

1. Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic (John Krasinski)
2. Charles Xavier/Professor X (Patrick Stewart)
3. King Blackagar Boltagon/Black Bolt (Anson Mount)
4. Baron Karl Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofor)
5. Peggy Carter/Captain Carter (Hayley Atwell)
6. Maria Rambeau/Captain Marvel (Lashana Lynch)

The line-up Waldron originally wanted was VERY close to the Illuminati line-up from the comics, replacing the deceased 838 Strange with 838 Balder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"