Not open for further replies.

DrCosmic

Professor of Power
Reaction score
One of many casting announcements.

CandicePatton_zpsfc958a15.jpg

On IMDB

Casting Call:

IRIS - 22-28 - African-American - As smart as she is beautiful, Iris is in grad school studying psychology. She's also Barry's mile a minute, fast-talking, quick-witted best friend. Her father, Detective West, took in Barry when his mother was murdered, and his father was wrongly accused and imprisoned for her murder. In a tough childhood for Barry, she was the one "not tough" thing. She's unaware of Barry's strong feelings for her.

Dialogue from the Audition Video:
Here on Reddit

The video was already deleted, but someone in /co/ typed it up before it happened.
IRIS: Are you ready for the big turn-on? Because I agreed to go with you to this Atom-Smasher's smashing, and in return you agreed I get to pick the next five times we go to the movies. Hope you like Channing Tatum, because you two are going to be very close soon.
BARRY: Iris, I don't know if I'm going to make it. Your dad kinda' tore me a new one some minutes ago, actually.
IRIS: But seeing this thing go on is, like, your dream. Your sad nerdy little dream.
BARRY: It could change everything we know about the Universe. Electron particles crashing into another at high speeds...
IRIS: Do we really need to stand next to it when it happens?
BARRY: Statistically speaking, any danger is almost an impossibility.
IRIS: Aren't you the one who believes in the impossible? That's why you went looking for it in Starling City, wasn't it? Did you find it, or did you make my dad mad for no reason?
BARRY: I found... a girl. I mean, I met one.
IRIS: A girl? Good for you! When was the last time you went on a date? All you do is hang out with me.
BARRY: About that. While I was away, I got the chance to think about, you know, us... You're my best friend, Iris.
IRIS: You're mine too. Why else would I be here?
BARRY: That's not what I meant. What I meant was...
IRIS: I know what you're gonna say, Barry.
BARRY: I'm not sure you do.
IRIS: Even though we pretty much grew up in the same house and we're kind of brother and sister, we're not really brother and sister, so it can get really weird and awkward talking to me about girls. But I want you to know it shouldn't be awkward, because there is nothing that I want more than for you to meet the right person that totally loves and adores you for the amazing guy that you are.
BARRY: ... Took the words right out of my mouth.
IRIS: Aren't you glad I know you so well?
and
IRIS: I'm not thirsty.
BARRY: It'll keep your hands warm, at least.
IRIS: Thanks.
BARRY: You okay?
IRIS: I... Don't know what that word means anymore after what I just saw, that we saw... How many people?
BARRY: Iris...
IRIS: How many?
BARRY: Twelve. We'll catch the Trickster, whoever he is...
IRIS: That's really fantastic, Barry! You get on that, you catch him! Put him on trial, put him in jail. Let him wake up every morning and eat breakfast and see the Sun unlike that little girl he slaughtered in the street!
BARRY: You're right. It's not fair. But it is what makes us not them.
IRIS: There's something else.
BARRY: What?
IRIS: I swear that I saw something. A flick of light, gust of wind, something that pulled one of the families out of the way of the debris. It was the way that you described it that night. What you saw in your house, the way that your mother was killed.
BARRY: Iris, I was just a scared kid, I don't know what I saw...
IRIS: You told me a million times that what you saw was impossible. Today, I saw the impossible, too. And for the first time, I really believed you.

So, I'll start with my breakdown of how she's different from the comics:

Iris West from the comics:
  1. Female
  2. White
  3. Red hair
  4. Brown Hair
  5. Brown Eyes
  6. Traditionally Attractive
  7. Young Adult
  8. Reporter
  9. Career is basically her talking about the Flash and his villains a lot
  10. Dates Barry Allen
  11. Doesn't Date Barry Allen
  12. Cares Deeply for Barry and unconditionally supports him
  13. Doesn't Know Barry is the Flash at first
  14. Figures out Barry is the Flash on her own
  15. Highly Driven in her Career,
  16. Goal Oriented Risk Taker
  17. Highly Intelligent
  18. Assertive Outspoken Communication Style
  19. Great with People
  20. No aversion to getting her hands dirty
  21. Can be flirtatious
  22. Gift Giving appears to be her love language
  23. Consistently sacrifices to take care of her family
  24. Loves to take care of other people's kids
  25. Drinks a lot of Coffee
  26. Lives in Central City
  27. Is From the Future
    • Adoptive Father, Ira West, is a Physics Professor
    • Adoptive Mother, Nadine West, is unremarkable
    • Adoptive Siblings are Rudy and Charolette West
    • Biological Parents are in the Future, the Russels
    • Nephew Named Wally
  28. Is Not From the Future
    • William West, unnamed profession (same as Sgt. Rock character???)
    • Unnamed Mother is deceased
    • Younger brother named Daniel, a criminal
    • Probably still a nephew named Wally West

Candice-Patton-Iris-West_zps96863ed7.jpg

By my count, the only things we can be sure are different from the comics is that she's not a white reporter who meets Barry on her job. And of course, stuff that's different for every continuity like who her family is and what they do and her relationship with Barry. So she may indeed be something like 21/24, and that idea is supported by the brief casting tape we did see, but we really won't know until we actually see the show. Crazy, I know. 21/24 is as good as the current Iris West in the comics, all things considered. Not a bad number, not bad at all.

I'm totally convinced Barry/Iris is going to be mishandled as badly as Ollie/Laurel on Arrow.

I'm totally convinced Barry/Iris is going to be mishandled as badly as Ollie/Laurel on Arrow.

Well at least so far she is actually called Iris, not Ann with the name Iris just occasionally used as fan service. It would be pretty funny though if in the second season they introduced another character who was actually the real Iris West from the comics because everyone liked her better.

I liked the second part of that dialogue. Sounds like Iris has a good personality. Also, sounds like the Trickster will be one of the early villains if not the first. I know that audition scripts often aren't ACTUALLY from the real script, but I would like to see that scene.

Well, she's definitely attractive. I haven't really seen her act in anything before (although I heard some good things from other people) so I'm curious to see how she does.

Some of the comic storylines to make Iris interesting and different from Louis just became a convuloted mess. I hope this adaption is more streamlined and grounded.

:up:

Yep...unfortunately...

Least there seem to be other things to look forward to with the show for now.

I liked the second part of that dialogue. Sounds like Iris has a good personality. Also, sounds like the Trickster will be one of the early villains if not the first. I know that audition scripts often aren't ACTUALLY from the real script, but I would like to see that scene.

Scripts do change often, but the fact they auditioned with this one shows that's the kid of person they're looking for. I loved it, honestly. Seeing Iris in action, even with a sub-par actress made me excited. I love her character.

Well at least so far she is actually called Iris, not Ann with the name Iris just occasionally used as fan service. It would be pretty funny though if in the second season they introduced another character who was actually the real Iris West from the comics because everyone liked her better.

This is a fair point. I do think they were onto something, because when you have two people in the family with the same name, one gets a nickname, but that's usually just inside the family, and they go by their given name elsewhere. They also had an issue where the name 'Dinah' isn't in use anymore. It's kind of like having a character named 'Ichabod' who was born in 1980... it doesn't work.

I think, with Iris, they've skewed a lot closer to the core of her character and what her purpose is in the Flash mythos.

The same way Matthias is a less common name than Vernon or Roger. (EDIT: Which is the same way Roger is a less common name than John or Michael) Are you asking for documentation?

:up:

Yep...unfortunately...

Least there seem to be other things to look forward to with the show for now.
And you have what evidence to support this pessimism? I'm not seeing any myself.

And you have what evidence to support this pessimism? I'm not seeing any myself.

Black-psychologist-step-sister-childhood-sweetheart Iris West is pretty strong indication to me, or didn't you see her character description...?

Iris and Barry met in college in most versions, Iris being from the future fluctuates from version to version and was always a bad idea, IMO, so I'm fine if that's never touched on in any comic or adaptation, and Iris does a lot more than just talk about The Flash and his villains in her career, Iris discovered Barry was The Flash after marrying him because he talked in his sleep and mentioned things relating to himself as The Flash in the comics...it wasn't as much of a "discovery" as in something she sought out on her own as it was an accident...but it's all just as well I guess. Barry planned on telling her eventually but wanted to make sure they could have kids first after doing tests on himself to see if it were possible....probably something he should have done before he married her, but it's understandable how he wouldn't want his wife to worry that she was married to some freak accident instead of a normal man and what that might mean when she didn't have to...just some trivia for anyone who's interested.

Last edited:
The same way Matthias is a less common name than Vernon or Roger. (EDIT: Which is the same way Roger is a less common name than John or Michael) Are you asking for documentation?

I've heard of people named Dinah,but never Iris or Laurel (apart from one Arthur Stanley Jefferson :cwink:)

Black-psychologist-step-sister-childhood-sweetheart Iris West is pretty strong indication to me, or didn't you see her character description...?

That doesn't indicate mishandling, unless you feel change=bad, which I've seen enough evidence to the contrary to dismiss out of hand. Also, they're still not step siblings, no matter how many times you say it. That's a pretty strong indication that you aren't giving an honest evaluation when you make up stuff to not like about it.

I've heard of people named Dinah,but never Iris or Laurel (apart from one Arthur Stanley Jefferson :cwink:)

Really? Interesting. You may just be unique in that regard. I too have heard of someone named Dinah, in the lyrics to "I've been Working on the Railroad." Overall though, Dinah hasn't been in use since the 60s (so there are definitely a few elderly women that have it), while Iris and Laurel are relatively common names for all ages, at least in the States. Compare Dinah with Iris based on census information.

It really is like naming someone Ichabod who was born in the 80s. It doesn't really make sense. Now, naming her after her mother gave them some leeway, but they erred on the side of not giving her an old woman name, which is fine because the problem with Dinah Laurel on Arrow is not that her name is different, it's that her role is different. In the comics, Dinah Laurel is someone who Green Arrow meets as a follow superhero. They are on the same page, and his biggest challenge with her is that she doesn't want to have kids. She is his partner.

The problem of course is that Arrow is not fundamentally about a superhero (even though it is growing into that) and it requires Oliver be isolated, which is pretty much impossible when he has a sidekick, essentially.

They were actually on the right track, more or less, by making her a crime fighter in her own way. The problem was that they mishandled her role as Oliver's partner, because they had other characters they wanted to be crucial supporting cast members, and with that, that means Laurel has to do something else, and her character got lost because in the comics, her fundamental role is being Green Arrow's partner. She has other relationships in other comics, she leads in the League, and is Oracle's agent in BP, but in GA, she is the partner. It's what she does. And here, in Arrow, she was not that, so her character got lost. If they had made her more Harvey Dent/Rachel then we could have had something very interesting, but at the cost of Diggle and Felicity, and honestly... I'm not sure I'd make that trade in retrospect.

The reason Caity Loitz's character works is because she is so very very much what BC is in the comics, GA's partner. She is introduced as assisting him, even when he tries to fight her, she is looking out for him. She is an incredible partner, from start to finish. The fact that she does it while crime fighting is even better. Ring a ding ding, best female character. She plays her role, and when she's not playing her role, she is totally 100% off screen.

We can also go into the brand of chauvinism that defines women who are helpful and have no accountability requirements such as Sara and Felicity as 'good' while women who have needs and issues and call BS such as Laurel and Season 1 Speedy as 'bad.' But I digress.

The reason I think we're heading down the right path is that CW Iris is fundamentally tied to Barry in a supporter role, the same role she plays in the comics as his wife, but now with sexual tension. She's oblivious enough to be the typical comic book girlfriend type but in a way that makes sense for a modern intelligent person.

Iris and Barry met in college in most versions, Iris being from the future fluctuates from version to version and was always a bad idea, IMO, so I'm fine if that's never touched on in any comic or adaptation, and Iris does a lot more than just talk about The Flash and his villains in her career, Iris discovered Barry was The Flash after marrying him because he talked in his sleep and mentioned things relating to himself as The Flash in the comics...it wasn't as much of a "discovery" as in something she sought out on her own as it was an accident...but it's all just as well I guess. Barry planned on telling her eventually but wanted to make sure they could have kids first after doing tests on himself to see if it were possible....probably something he should have done before he married her, but it's understandable how he wouldn't want his wife to worry that she was married to some freak accident instead of a normal man and what that might mean when she didn't have to...just some trivia for anyone who's interested.

Definitely interested, thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Reading that dialogue makes me hope they nail the motormouth aspect they mention. A lot of that dialogue sounds like something a more confident and energetic Felicity Smoak would say, and considering the chemistry already established between those two, having a similarity in Barry's childhood crush would do a lot for selling the relationship.

Plus, it would highlight how easily Barry could fall for this girl if she has endearing qualities and is actively supportive in this show. We need to remember that this show has Arrow to learn from, so for all we know, they actually have a damn fine plan for these two characters in their interactions.

Like almost everyone else: I've never seen her in anything, but I find her attractive. :o

That doesn't indicate mishandling, unless you feel change=bad, which I've seen enough evidence to the contrary to dismiss out of hand.

No, I don't think change is necessarily bad, not a fan of false advertising though. That's all cool if you want a female lead to be Barry's foster sister, black, and a psychologist, but don't call her Iris West when she's not. This is like making a "Mickey Mouse" movie and having him be Jerry from Tom and Jerry. They may call her Iris West, but she's not.

Also, they're still not step siblings, no matter how many times you say it.

Foster sibling, whatever. He lives with her family as a kid for much of his life after his mom is murdered, Iris sees him as a brother, it's even in the dialog.... whatever if that's what they want to do but it's not Iris West.

Honestly, I'd say if she's an engaging character and a strong love interest with good chemistry with Gustin's Barry (in other words, avoiding all the pitfalls that have soured Arrow fans to Laurel Lance), then I'd say she's both A) Iris West, and B) a nice change up on the direction and details of the character. The reporter/love interest is unfortunately viewed as heavily derivative, if not just an outright knock-off, of Lois Lane's character. If this was a direct translation from the majority of Iris's previous incarnations, I'm going to be honest, I wouldn't see this character as anything particularly engaging. That's leaving a lot on the shoulders of the actress to pull off, and Unsullied audience viewers would already have everything about her character arc determined in their minds.

All these changes are thus far just background characteristics. If/When Iris picks up a job as a reporter, and if she has a nephew named Wally, then she'll have fulfilled her main canonical "duties," which are sadly kind of lacking for uniqueness when describing her. But make her Barry's childhood crush, confidant, and break a few taboos that Hollywood still sadly seems to follow when constructing their primary relationships, and you've got someone I'm genuinely curious to see.

If she's written well and Patton rocks it, she's Iris West. It's the law of supporting characters; if anyone's going to feel the change a transition brings, they will. If Lois Lane can become a red-headed army brat who knows Clark Kent is Superman (and I'm still hoping the army brat part gets thrown into Batman vs Superman), than Iris can change her skin color and her backstory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"