The Jesus Christ Appreciation and Worship Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, the primary participants in this thread - along with the OP - have made it very clear that the purpose of this thread is not to debate these topics. If they'd like to continue these discussions, then all we need to do is invite them to a thread where debate is welcome (you know the one).

I understand the urge to protest the offensive and often misguided opinions put forth here, but this simply isn't an appropriate venue. We need to move on and let them utilize this thread as they see fit.

No it didn't. Pagans married before your deity had been invented.

No it didn't. Pagans married before your deity had been invented.

God invented Pagans that don't believe He invented them.(Ironic isn't it?:woot:)

Fun is fun,but isn't it time a mod gets this thread back on track?

Did the Jewish deity invent people who would never hear of him let alone believe in him so that he could "lol" at them while they burnt in hell?

Guys, the primary participants in this thread - along with the OP - have made it very clear that the purpose of this thread is not to debate these topics. If they'd like to continue these discussions, then all we need to do is invite them to a thread where debate is welcome (you know the one).

I understand the urge to protest the offensive and often misguided opinions put forth here, but this simply isn't an appropriate venue. We need to move on and let them utilize this thread as they see fit.

We all know at this point that they won't budge from this thread to discuss these issues openly.

We all know at this point that they won't budge from this thread to discuss these issues openly.

That's a bit unfair.I've discussed my view of homosexuality in relation to the Bible ad nauseum in various threads.(Seek out the "bakery refuses to make a cake for the Gay Wedding" for the most comprehensive thread with 'em.)

Most Christians are not thrilled with the prospect of getting gang mugged in an "atheism thread".:funny: It's like 50-1 odds.Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight.

It's best to stay away. The sound of atheists high fiving can destroy eardrums.

Did the Jewish deity invent people who would never hear of him let alone believe in him so that he could "lol" at them while they burnt in hell?

This is something of a misconception most people have.The Bible clearly states that Jesus is the only way to the Father (John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.)

However,there is no indication that everybody "burns in Hell" for the same length and duration.God,being a Just God,isn't going to punish a run-of-the-mill un-believer the same as Adolph Hitler.

Unless you receive Christ's atonement for your sins,you will have to pay for them yourself,but the punishment will fit the crime.

So, is complete unawareness of an obscure oriental deity a crime that needs atonement? Consider that your average north European shepherd had probably never even heard of Asia in c.500BC.

If it's any consolation, I say this as an agnostic too. But one of my biggest pet peeves with the Christian baiting/bashing atheists, is they ***** out when it comes to Islam. In some ways, some of the fervent ones are part of a non-monotheistic religion. If that makes any sense.

This is why I've generally stopped critiquing Christians.

Squeekness,

I'm really sorry about what yourself and your daughter have to go through. Being gay shouldn't have to have any sort of negative connotations whatsoever. Being gay is perfectly fine, there shouldn't be any shame in it at all.

I just don't think people here get that. I don't think they get how shaming the language they use is.

I feel sad for them, really. I feel sad that they use religion, the bible, to shame people and 'beat up' on people that aren't harming anyone. I wish they could realize how divisive and unacceptable this stuff is in the 21st century.

No one deserves to be called vile or an abomination for being who they are. Sure, as an atheist, I think the whole concept of sin as christians understand it is made up, its a way for people to beat up on themselves for being born a sinner and for failing to avoid the hundreds and hundreds of traps of what could be considered sin. I don't think these concepts have any place in the real world. It's there to keep people in the religion. In the real world, we understand that you can't progress a civilization without some understanding of "I won't harm you if you don't harm me", the bulk of our moral progress is centered on understanding what benefits people and what harms people. Slavery harms people. I'd challenge the christians here to actually find anything Jesus said that condemns slavery. We figured that one out WITHOUT the bible. Despite the things the bible says, even.

Homosexuals aren't harming anyone. Consensual relationships between adults aren't anyone else's business. They do not affect anyone here personally. What they do in their home does not affect you. It makes no logical sense to expect people to take you seriously just because you quoted the bible. And when some christians are judging and condemning others needlessly, people like myself will be there to call you out on it. The christians that insist on making this an issue can either evolve on it or be left in the dust as the rest of us progress.

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, I say this as an agnostic too. But one of my biggest pet peeves with the Christian baiting/bashing atheists, is they ***** out when it comes to Islam. In some ways, some of the fervent ones are part of a non-monotheistic religion. If that makes any sense.

Join us in the Atheism thread- you will find that I have been consistently critical of Islam.

In any case, I haven't criticised anything here per se, but have preferred to ask questions. Some of the answers have been interesting.

So the mentally deficient are damned?

I think he means, god will take into consideration if someone is mentally deficient.

Okay. So it's better not to be too inquiring. Blessed are the ignorant.

I believe that God will judge people based on what they know.

Hopefully a god that created the laws of the universe and set the mechinations in motion has to be a logical and deductive being who will understand why the words of a bunch of nomads and tentmakers who lived thousands of years ago isnt enough to make me believe without a shadow of a doubt.

Last edited:

The reason why some are apprehensive in criticizing Islam is probably due to the fear of being called a 'racist', an 'Islamaphobe' or some other nonsensical label. Everyone should be able to criticize all religions without this fear. In the case of Islam, it is held to such a high standard by many of its adherents, that even a mild critique will generate outrage (many times with outright violence).

We could discuss more, but this is not the proper place.

Last edited:
So, is complete unawareness of an obscure oriental deity a crime that needs atonement? Consider that your average north European shepherd had probably never even heard of Asia in c.500BC.

I think the premise is flawed to begin with.Many people come at the question as "well,if you don't know about Jesus,you go to Hell."But taken to it's logical conclusion,you have Jesus doing more harm than good by revealing Himself as Christ.If people never heard of Him,they can't be judged guilty of not believing in Him.People are punished,for their sins by not accepting the atonement.It isn't so much punishment for unbelief,as refusing the chance to have your sins forgiven.The opportunity is there for everyone,but you have Free Will.God is not going to force His mercy on you.

Paul explains this somewhat in Romans 1:18-20
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
and in Acts 14:14-18
But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of this, they tore their clothes and rushed out into the crowd, shouting: “Friends, why are you doing this? We too are only human, like you. We are bringing you good news, telling you to turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made the heavens and the earth and the sea and everything in them. In the past, he let all nations go their own way. Yet he has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy.” Even with these words, they had difficulty keeping the crowd from sacrificing to them.

So primitive man has always had proof of the existence of a "Higher Power" and it was enough at the time to acknowledge that.But in the last days,God sent Christ to cleanse Man from sin and restore the fellowship broken with the Fall of Man.

Interesting observation. It's true that many of then fear muslims...They ridicule Muhammad when there's no one in the room, but when a muslim enters, they shut up.

Even though I didn't like him very much, Christopher Hitchens criticized all religions in public (Dawkins is more careful when it comes to Islam. But we all know that he's a coward). Many atheists want to be like him, but for the most part, they hide behind anonymous user names on the internet when they talk about Islam and Judaism.

Interesting observation. It's true that many of then fear muslims...They ridicule Muhammad when there's no one in the room, but when a muslim enters, they shut up.

Even though I didn't like him very much, Christopher Hitchens criticized all religions in public (Dawkins is more careful when it comes to Islam. But we all know that he's a coward). Many atheists want to be like him, but for the most part, they hide behind anonymous user names on the internet when they talk about Islam and Judaism.

I hear many more atheists criticise Islam or Judaism than I hear Christians criticise those religions. Christians tend to hide behind weasel words when forced to address the issue.

I find that tremendously hypocritical.

What are you even talking about? Dawkins is very outspoken against Islam, is very critical of those who aren't. Visit the dude's twitter sometime. He's criticized constantly for 'islamophobia'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"