The Kryptonian Thread - Language, Writing, Culture, etc.

If Kane ventures in here, thanks for the image!! I wonder which family crest this is...thoughts?

imagelzea.jpg

8xuf51.jpg

Based on the Glyph Creator released today, I have taken the liberty of providing an OFFICIAL transliteration of the above text:

M$ syn g#n *&

Unknown letters are defined as such:

$- appears to be an upside-down "t" character
#- appears to be a reversed "d" character
*- appears to be a reversed "n" character
&- appears to be an upside-down "c" "q" or "k" character

How does 'El' fit into that and how do you think it means hope?

Last edited:

Much appreciated Kal :up: but check out the text:

8xuf51.jpg

I've already run into a problem with glyph 2 in Bracket 1: the first letter is obviously m, but there is no corresponding translation for the second letter, which appears to be an upside-down t (and not just upside-down but a complete reversal, horizontally and vertically), unless I'm blatantly missing something.

Similarly, in Bracket 2 I can safely assume the first glyph is s, but we then run into the same problem, as the second letter is a reversed d. The third is obviously n.

Bracket 3 begins with g, the second glyph appears to be an upside-down r, then again ends with n, but then Bracket 4 begins with a reversed n, then an upside-down c/k/x/q. Those other two glyphs atop the bracket I can't even identify :doh:

I'm guessing those notches in the brackets have something to do with these odd letter arrangements. I originally thought they signified vowel length or gradation, but they may be vowels themselves, I'm not sure. All I know is something isn't adding up and I can't come up with a full translation.

All the same thanks for an organized list :up:

As for "El" meaning "hope", it wouldn't surprise me. It simply makes sense if the crest associated with the House means "hope" then by definition "Crest of El" would mean "Crest of Hope".

So can you use this list of glyphs to make the "s" symbol for hope? Or do the glyph differ between single letters and words/phrases?

Much appreciated Kal :up: but check out the text:

8xuf51.jpg

I've already run into a problem with glyph 2 in Bracket 1: the first letter is obviously m, but there is no corresponding translation for the second letter, which appears to be an upside-down t (and not just upside-down but a complete reversal, horizontally and vertically), unless I'm blatantly missing something.

Similarly, in Bracket 2 I can safely assume the first glyph is s, but we then run into the same problem, as the second letter is a reversed d. The third is obviously n.

Bracket 3 begins with g, the second glyph appears to be an upside-down r, then again ends with n, but then Bracket 4 begins with a reversed n, then an upside-down c/k/x/q. Those other two glyphs atop the bracket I can't even identify :doh:

I'm guessing those notches in the brackets have something to do with these odd letter arrangements. I originally thought they signified vowel length or gradation, but they may be vowels themselves, I'm not sure. All I know is something isn't adding up and I can't come up with a full translation.

All the same thanks for an organized list :up:

As for "El" meaning "hope", it wouldn't surprise me. It simply makes sense if the crest associated with the House means "hope" then by definition "Crest of El" would mean "Crest of Hope".

so what is that supposed to say? I haven't learned Kryptonian yet...give me time. I suck at learning a second language. It would be awesome to learn how to speak it in their dialect!

The best I can translate (using my theory about the notches above the brackets and assuming that "a" is the most common vowel) is:

Mat s'dyn gar'n naux. :huh:

And that's probably nowhere NEAR accurate :hehe:

I liked Hóxh vurk'tā síyktā edeag better, personally :o I think they copped out with individual glyphs for each letter. I think my original hypothesis was more original.

It's why I'm the Lord of the House of Ak :hehe:

So can you use this list of glyphs to make the "s" symbol for hope? Or do the glyph differ between single letters and words/phrases?

I think they're different, but I could be wrong. It seems that the Kryptonian "glyphs" (I prefer "crests" when they're stylized within the pentagonal shields) can be written out, but are composed of several elements which are then "fused" together within the shield.

The best I can translate (using my theory about the notches above the brackets and assuming that "a" is the most common vowel) is:

Mat s'dyn gar'n naux. :huh:

And that's probably nowhere NEAR accurate :hehe:

I liked Hóxh vurk'tā síyktā edeag better, personally :o I think they copped out with individual glyphs for each letter. I think my original hypothesis was more original.

It's why I'm the Lord of the House of Ak :hehe:

and that is WHAT exactly in English?

:wow: Holy crap I'm an idiot :doh:

I didn't see it at first, but the five vowels are all the SAME GLYPH, just rotated accordingly!!

It's a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wow: Holy crap I'm an idiot :doh:

I didn't see it at first, but the five vowels are all the SAME GLYPH, just rotated accordingly!!

It's a clue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well get on it then man! What are you waiting for?!?!

:wow:

screenshot2013052400574.png

8xuf51.jpg

It's a freaking abjad!!!!

If I assume that the "flipping" of the letters follows the vowel arrangement, and furthermore that a is in fact the most common vowel based on the House names, I think I may be able to find the corresponding translation!!!!!! The vowels must follow the appropriately flipped consonants, so I must assume that the "regular" consonant glyph is either unmodified or as in the "a-position. The notches in the brackets must then indicate either a modified or unmodified consonant glyph. I'm assuming the small notches indicate an unmodified consonant and the large "swoops" indicate a final letter. Both the first and third words have a small notch above the first vowel glyphs, so they must have an inherent a unless otherwise indicated.

Therefore:

Mati s'den garon nexo.
(You alone are not.)

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

:awesome::woot:!!!!!!

Last edited:
screenshot2013052400574.png

8xuf51.jpg

It's a freaking abjad!!!!

If I assume that the "flipping" of the letters follows the vowel arrangement, and furthermore that a is in fact the most common vowel based on the House names, I think I may be able to find the corresponding translation!!!!!! The vowels must follow the appropriately flipped consonants, so I must assume that the "regular" consonant glyph is either unmodified or as in the "a-position. The notches in the brackets must then indicate either a modified or unmodified consonant glyph. I'm assuming the small notches indicate an unmodified consonant and the large "swoops" indicate a final letter. Both the first and third words have a small notch above the first vowel glyphs, so they must have an inherent a unless otherwise indicated.

Therefore:

Mati saden garon nexo.
(You alone are not.)

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

:awesome::woot:!!!!!!

well no ****.... :dry:

Last edited:
I'm impressed with your talent...just not that it translates to "you are not alone"

Dude, it was obvious. Go to http://dsrwproject.com it's right in front of you :hehe:

The important thing was the word order. English is usually a Subject, Verb, Object (i.e. You are not alone.), Kryptonian is Subject, Object, Verb (You alone are not.)

Last edited:
Dude, it was obvious. Go to http://dsrwproject.com it's right in front of you :hehe:

The important thing was the word order. English is usually a Subject, Verb, Object (i.e. You are not alone.), Kryptonian is Subject, Object, Verb (You alone are not.)

yeah I didn't pay any attention to it...I thought they may be coy and try to slip something new in there for us, but nope

Where'd the alphabet come from?

I know nothing about this but it is really fascinating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"