• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Monsterverse thread

Frankenstein Conquers the World 2!!!

I liked the way things ended up in GvK, but in terms of following up with another Kong-focused movie, I just don't see what they could do with Kong living in Hollow Earth that would be very interesting or exciting. I know most people don't care about the human characters, but with no humans down there at all, no buildings, etc...what would be the stakes? Where would the drama come from?

Kong fighting random monsters? Cool, but we already saw him do that on Skull Island, another place that was virtually uninhabited by humans for the most part. Humans traveling to Hollow Earth to steal resources? They kind of used that concept in GvK, with Apex needing to get the power source from Hollow Earth. Could come off as repetitive. The most obvious thing would be something that forces Kong to return to the surface, in order to face some new monster threat or whatever.

GvK did end with human characters in Hollow Earth, though.

So when are we getting Son of Godzilla?

20ACC58C-85A0-4781-ABA5-4267CDC7BD2D.gif

I'd like to see them open it up to aliens. I know Ghidorah is an alien, but there's more to mine there. Full-scale invasion with fly saucers and then bring in a crazy monster like Gigan.
Cinemascore is generally a self selecting survey. Especially during the quarentine.
I just don't understand the reluctance to just go along with the notion that people genuinely seem to like this movie.

Cinemascore really just measures how effective the marketing was for the movie. Not necessarily the quality of the movie to the people taking the poll.

Wait are people actually in denial that the General Public is really enjoying this?

The film is getting GREAT word of mouth.

Wait are people actually in denial that the General Public is really enjoying this?

The film is getting GREAT word of mouth.

There is a difference between putting complete faith in Cinemascore and acknowledging how popular the movie is. The movie is clearly popular.

There’s a few places they can go with it. The Aliens are the most immediate overarching antagonist that comes to mind and probably the ones most ripe for reinvention. Destroy All Monsters would make for a pretty epic film.

Mike Dougherty’s mentioned before that he’d like to come back and do a Monsterverse version of Biollante. That’d be crazy but maybe a fun shakeup of the classic Kaiju formula.

Mothra’s basically immortal so they can probably have her back in action and there’s an entire lore onto itself with that character.

They could introduce the whole Son of Godzilla concept and take a route with the Heisei era and have it build to the Death of Godzilla.

And then there’s the Hollow Earth and Kong, which could play as a grandiose fantasy adventure films.

Mike Dougherty’s mentioned before that he’d like to come back and do a Monsterverse version of Biollante. That’d be crazy but maybe a fun shakeup of the classic Kaiju formula.
I could see a movie that's able to include Biollante and Hedora. Nature run amok meets pollution run amok.

Things I would like to see:

Godzilla: I think its time for Biollante's return. Lot of fun **** you can explore with her. Especially with the Titans, Humanity and Nature. Also I wanna see Gigan again but he needs to be teamed up with Megalon or KG. And I would love to see a build up to Destroyah as your Thanos/Endgame threat.

Mothra-Deserves a Solo movie. Her vs Battra.

Kong: I think deserves a Hollow Earth movie. Where he starts to learn the secrets of the Hollow Earth and just what exactly is down there.

I would like to see Kong actually be King Kong and not a zoo animal coming around for his morning walk being monitored by humans. :whatever:

I'd like to see them open it up to aliens. I know Ghidorah is an alien, but there's more to mine there. Full-scale invasion with fly saucers and then bring in a crazy monster like Gigan.

Yeah I kinda want a live action version of that old Godzilla 8-bit Nintendo game from the 1980s. I just want to see Big G beamed up to some alien planet and kicking the crap out of a bunch of weird monsters.

Personally, I'd rather see TOHO make some new films and do more with Godzilla.

It doesn’t have to be an either or situation. We got Shin Godzilla whilst the Monsterverse was going. Toho wins out with both.

That is going to be the sticking point of the renegotations, though.

I don’t think they’re antagonistic towards Legendary. By all accounts they’ve liked the last few films (plus they have a measure of creative control over the final cut) and have gotten a pretty sweet deal out of arrangement considering the Monsterverse performs well in Japan.

I can’t see why they’d want to turn down what is essentially a steady income with very little cost to them.

I don’t think they’re antagonistic towards Legendary. By all accounts they’ve liked the last few films (plus they have a measure of creative control over the final cut) and have gotten a pretty sweet deal out of arrangement considering the Monsterverse performs well in Japan.

I can’t see why they’d want to turn down what is essentially a steady income with very little cost to them.

Because it currently really limits them on the Godzilla content they can produce. Legendary isn't going to want the market oversaturated with Godzilla movies, whereas Toho is going to want a lot more freedom to make Godzilla movies. Just from the Legendary side, paying HUGE amounts of money for a license that you not only will not have full control of, but potential competing films is a problem.

But of course, we may have to see if Legendary can mend fences with WB.

Because it currently really limits them on the Godzilla content they can produce. Legendary isn't going to want the market oversaturated with Godzilla movies, whereas Toho is going to want a lot more freedom to make Godzilla movies. Just from the Legendary side, paying HUGE amounts of money for a license that you not only will not have full control of, but potential competing films is a problem.

But of course, we may have to see if Legendary can mend fences with WB.

There’s no real competition. The Toho Godzilla films don’t do especially well outside of Japan, they never have really. And most of the profits from any Monsterverse film released in Japan go to Toho anyway, so there’s no conflict of interest there. The two different iterations of Godzilla don’t especially cross the different markets.

And going by what Mike Dougherty and Adam Wingard have said, Toho’s creative input is mostly “make the monsters resemble their classic appearance and don’t go against their usual characterisation”, nothing that’s creatively stifling or inhibiting the filmmaking process.

It’s really not as much of a cutthroat battle for Godzilla as you’re making it out to be. Legendary’s making big Hollywood movies, whereas the Toho productions are for the most part Japanese-focused, with only niche appeal to the foreign markets.

My goodness I didn’t expect the thread to take off like it has.

it’s a shame they couldn’t do a neon genesis crossover. I do love the idea of a Jet Jaguar/Ultraman crossover

Since they seem to be getting progressively more ridiculous, I’d love to see Monster Island pop up. Kaiju-wise, I want to see Anguirus, Destroyah, Ebirah, Hedora, Biollante, King Caesar, maybe even Gabara if he looks like his Singular Point version :oldrazz:. And I definitely want to see Mothra come back. Maybe even in her own movie. Oh and I want Gamera too.

I guess it all depends on whatever negotiations Legendary manages to get Toho to agree too. Who knows what that might be or what their relationship is like at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"