2009 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bull. Roy Williams is a perfect fit in Cinci and its a great pick up for the Bengals. Williams was exposed in Dallas because he was asked to cover people. Playing the AFC North, Williams will have responsibility for the Fullback. Williams is exactly the sort of player the Bengals need to take on the Ravens and the Steelers running games...if he can stay healthy.

Don't tell anyone, but the Bengals have had a fantastic offseason. Coles should replace Housh pretty well. No one got more talent out of the draft than they did. Williams is a great addition. I still have questions at running back for them, but I think they have the chance to shock people next year.

QUOTE]

Your dead on, sir. The Bengals have quietly had one of the best off-seasons in the NFL.

The defense already had a good young core of players. Keith Rivers, Pat Sims, Peko, Antwan Odom, Jason Shirley, Jonathan Joseph, Leon Hall, Chris Crocker, and Robert Geathers. Dhani Jones played well at MLB last year but will move back to his natural OLB position. Now, add in Rey Maualuga, Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, and Michael Johnson. First off, Tank Johnson played out of position in Dallas. He is a pass rushing DT best served in a 4-3. The one thing the Bengals didn't have on defense last season was a pass rush. With Johnson in the fold, Odom coming back healthy, and the ability to now rotate Geathers and Johnson at the other Defensive End spot, that should improve. Maualuga and Williams, they are both not only going to bring the wood, but there going to bring the attitude thats been missing from Cincy. Roy Williams was at his best with Mike Zimmer as his Defensive Coordinator. Zimmer likes to keep his Strong Safeties close to the line of scrimmage so they can concentrate on the run with minimal pass defense duties. Thats perfect for Williams.

On offense, Carson Palmer returning is the biggest key obviously. Palmer should finally be 100% physically. L. Coles is a reciever that I have always liked, but he has never had a Quarterback with the arm strength to get him the ball downfield. I love Chad Pennington and all, but the two weren't a good match. With Palmer, Coles will have that. Chad Johnson is Chad Johnson, still talented but who the hell knows or cares anymore. But let me tell you this, if Chris Henry could ever get his head out of his ass, Henry has the physical talents to be a top five reciever in the NFL, that is why they won't give up on him. Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson both have talent and hands. The Steelers were going to draft Simpson last year, FYI. Bengals stole him. I think this team would be better off trading Johnson and taking what they can get, rid themselves of that image once and for all. At Running Back, Cedric Benson fits better with the Bengals than he ever did the Bears. I believe the Bears run a zone blocking scheme and that doesn't suit Benson. In Cincy, Benson plays in an offense were he takes the hand off and runs straight ahead as hard as he can. Thats better for him, although I don't want anyone to take this as me saying Benson is a great back. I just think they could do worse. I love the Brian Leonard trade. Leonard is a player I've liked since watching him at Rutgers, and if he can stay healthy, the man can run, catch, and block. And on the line, the Bengals will be fine. Andre Smith was the best Offensive Tackle in the draft, watch his game footage. Smith made a few immature decisions, and it cost him. Not a bad person. Andrew Whitworht has the potential to be a pro bowl Left Guard. Jonathan Luigs was one of my favorite Centers in the draft. Bobbie Williams is always servicable at Right Guard, and remember the name Anthony Collins, the Bengals 4th round pick from last year that held James Harrison to half a tackle in his first career start. I wouldn't be shocked if Anthony Collins ends up at Left Tackle and Andre Smith ends up at Right Tackle. Collins reminds me alot of Levi Jones. And at Tight End, Ben Utech and Chace Coffman give you the hands, and Reggie Kelly is still a punishing blocker.

The Bengals are a team to watch.

I wish my Panthers had this awesome of an off-season. I hate Julius Peppers.

Awesome post! Unlike most people in this thread you really know your stuff.

Michael Lombardi is soft

0.jpg

January 08 said:
Michael Lombardi: Lions favoring Cowboys' Jason Garrett for head coach vacancy

It seems there's a different "leading candidate" each day, so today must be Jason Garrett's turn. The Dallas Morning News' Barry Horn blogged that Michael Lombardi's proclamation, which he made on Showtime's Inside the NFL.

Dallas Morning News, January 9: On tonight's show insider Michael Lombardi anoints Jason Garrett the leading candidate for the vacant Detroit Lions job because is "the guy they think can turn their franchise around."

Lombardi, who was a personnel man for the Oakland Raiders and Cleveland Browns, follows it up by saying that Oklahoma's redshirt quarterback Sam Bradford – the Heisman Trophy winner – is going to declare himself eligible for the NFL draft, the implication being that the there's a decent chance the Lions will take him.

LOMBARDI: "Well, as you guys know, the Lions need a quarterback desperately. And I think Sam Bradford, the young man from Oklahoma who's going to play (Thursday)... who's a sophomore, a red shirt sophomore, so he's eligible for the draft. He can come out. He's going to declare and come out. And I think that now makes Detroit a very attractive job. And I think what Sam Bradford did... he's made a decision. "How much better can I be going back to college or coming out in the draft?" I mean, what would you do?"

Last edited:
What are you guys talking about; Mario Williams and Andre Johnson are 2 of the softest guys in the league![/sarcasm]

This may end up being merged - but I think this is a topic worthy of another thread.

There are significant off the field issues being raised in the NFL:

• NFL reversing policy requiring a uniformed pension plan
  • Going Global: How to grow the game overseas
  • Rookie Salary Cap: Matthew Stafford is making more than Peyton Manning?
  • 2010: Uncapped year? Lock outs? Strikes?
  • Has the NFL made going to the game less attractive than attending one?
  • Expanding the season: 2 Preseason games 18 Regular Season?
  • Minor Leagues: Should the NFL have a Developmental League?
A lot of die hard and casual fans alike have reacted very negatively to the allegations that the NFL is considering London as a potential Super Bowl site. I, personally, find this to be a horrible idea - especially during the current economic climate (why send the revenue generated from hosting a Super Bowl overseas?) I find it particularly curious that while the NFL is considering moving the Super Bowl overseas, they are sending the Pro Bowl back home (it will be in Miami next year - the week before the Super Bowl).

I think the best case scenario is fairly obvious: send the Pro Bowl to London.

Think about it, how many true NFL fans care about the Pro Bowl? I know I don't. However what does the Pro Bowl have? Star power. If you want to promote the NFL overseas, what's better than shipping all of are stars over for what would basically become a PR tour?

Better yet, since the Pro Bowl has traditionally been a Hawaiian game, no NFL city looses revenue by sending it overseas. At the same time NFL players get the perk of traveling to other countries (what NFL star gets excited about going to Miami?), with none of the pressure that happens when you start shipping out regular season games (mainly getting over jet lag, reduced practice time for next week, etc.)

I like the idea of holding the Pro Bowl the week BEFORE the Super Bowl as well. I think a big reason for the lack of Pro Bowl appeal is that the Super Bowl tends to be such a wonderful ending to the NFL season, the Pro Bowl just seems...unnecessary. After the Super Bowl, I am not thirsting after MORE Pro Football. It's a poorly written epilogue at the end of a fantastic novel.

While that would mean that Pro Bowl players on Super Bowl rosters would not be able to make the trip, that's hardly something new. Most Super Bowl players opt out of the Pro Bowl for various reasons as it is.

What are your thoughts?

as far as games outside of the US....I get that the NFL wants to grow the game internationally but I am totally against regular season games being played outside of the US...pre-season and the Pro Bowl is fine by me...but that's it

if they are going to eliminate 2 pre-season games and add 2 regular season games, they should give each team 2 bye weeks

Fa show:
-Rookie Cap
-2 more games

Hell no:
-Games in London
-Developmental league

i like the Pro Bowl overseas, not the Super Bowl. If you put the Pro Bowl before Superbowl, some may not play for fear of injury.

A rookie cap is a darn good idea imo. it's ridiculous how much they get paid.

not sure on a developmental league. would this be like the NBA one, or like Triple AAA in baseball where someone gets hurt and you pull them up to the bigs (NFL)

also less preseason, more season, i am ok with. but 2 may be too few. maybe 3

There should be a cap with the pay the rookies get. It's completely insane to throw millions at a kid who has never played a single game in the NFL, and yet a player that has consistently proved themselves over a few seasons will never see that kind of money.

I'm not sure how the pay for rookies in other pro sports are, but I doubt they're just as ****ed as the NFL. Besides, in regular jobs, the people who have been at the job longer get paid more than the rookies (i.e. new hires).

As for playing NFL games outside the US, it's not a big deal to me.

I'm skeptical about 2 more regular season games, but I wouldn't mind 2 less pre-season games.

As for a developmental league, the NFL already has one. It's called the NCAA.

No games outside of the US. I think if the superbowl goes out side the US people will revolt and they should.

Two more regular season games is a dumb idea too. Just eliminate the first two preseason games.

The only thing the NFL should do is switch up the divisions. Geographically some of the divisions don't make sense.

The US wouldn't revolt. People would still watch the game, the sports media would still cover it, and whatever network that has the broadcast rights would still air it.

The US wouldn't revolt. People would still watch the game, the sports media would still cover it, and whatever network that has the broadcast rights would still air it.

More than likely but if people had any stones at all they wouldn't tune in.

The NFL does need to change it's pension plan. It's disgraceful. More often then not, former NFL players are worse off then former NBA and former MLB stars. That needs to change completely.

This seperate thread really isn't necessary, most of it's already being brought up in the regular thread. Merging.

Super Bowl in London; Hell. No.

Last edited:
Fa show:
-Rookie Cap
-2 more games

2 more games is far too much. Players would be destroyed by playoff time.

Hell no:
-Games in London
-Developmental league

The Developmental league could be amazing. For one, it would increase the quality of the NFL by having back ups already in football shape should a player go down. Right now signing players who are working out at their local high schools isn't doing much - many tear something in their first week of training. If you can have a group of lower level players playing football and staying in shape - it would be only a good thing.

Plus the drama is there. Imagine a league that played its games on Tuesdays, or Thursdays. Imagine a player having a great game on Tuesday, being signed that Wednesday and playing next Sunday? The potential TV drama is huge. A big reason for the success of the NFL is College Football - people like watching players develop before their eyes. This takes the Kurt Warner story and makes it play out in front of our eyes. It would be very good.

The NFL does need to change it's pension plan. It's disgraceful. More often then not, former NFL players are worse off then former NBA and former MLB stars. That needs to change completely.

The Pension Plan controversy is more important to coaches and front office people. They don't need one for the players as any NFL player worthy of a pension would have made good enough money that, as long as they are not idiots, they can set themselves up for life. Those that don't make that sort of money don't really deserve a pension plan from the league.

Now more should be done to help the stars of the past whose pay checks were not as large.

I think this USFL should be a developmental league or whatever this new league is they are doing. Get like the major cities, Dallas, Orlando, L.A, NY, Chicago... venues like that. Eight teams should do it. But they have to play it in the spring. Two divisions, 10 weeks or so-ish. I know they have Arena League in the spring but still. NFL Europe had the right idea... but the market wasn't there. I'd try against overseas in another 15-20 years though.

I think if the USFL is success, the NFL will try to absorb it. It would be the best scenario for both leagues.

Also, I like the USFL's idea of having the season DURING the NFL season. Having a developmental league that doesn't play during the NFL season removes all benefits.

Rookie cap? Yes.
Developmental league, as a replacement for NFLE? Yes.
More games? **** no.

Why are so many peeps down on more games? I wouldn't mind as long as they slash the preaseason in half.

Because of the significant potential for more injuries and greater strain on players before you even get to the postseason. There's no competitive reason for more games. It's just a cash grab.

Because of the significant potential for more injuries and greater strain on players before you even get to the postseason. There's no competitive reason for more games. It's just a cash grab.

Exactly. More games is dangerous.

The argument that "well the NFL is really a 20 season, we are just adding more games that matter" is complete BS as well. The NFL may technically be a 20 game season, but for starters it's about a 17 game season. Increasing the number of regular season games would make it a 19, 20 game season for starters - not including playoffs.

Plus, no one is talking about how it would hurt the regular season. When you add games, you devalue them. Losing a game in a 16 game season is always going to matter more than losing a game in an 18 game season. Who watches regular season MLB or NBA games with the same level of intensity they do NFL? You can lose 70 games in the MLB and win the World Series. You can lose 30 games and win your division in the NBA. While the NFL will never be quite to that level, the regular season already has less value than, say, College Football does. Why make it worse?

Now the one point that can be made in favor of increasing the season in player pay. Players don't get rewarded nearly as well for playing preseason games as they do for regular season games. More games = more money for teams = more money for players.

A worldwide barnstorming tour could be a win-win for everyone
By Pat Kirwan | NFL.com
Senior Analyst

There were 256 players drafted last month, and not all of them will make NFL rosters in the fall. There are about 250 veteran players who were under contract in 2008 but are still looking for work. There is a natural attrition rate in the league. And yet, there might be a way to tap into all of the veterans who still want to play but can't find work.

How does the reality of out-of-work football players connect with the NFL's desire to grow the game internationally? I have a plan that might address a multitude of issues.

The draft is over, there are no games on the calendar and there are some great NFL coaches out of work. There is an opportunity to create something special.

Jonathan Ferrey / Getty Images
If Rex Grossman can't latch on as an NFL backup, why not have him lead a team of veterans playing American football around the globe?

Some people may look at my idea as absurd. But if you read on, it just might make sense. At least it might open a spirited debate.
The concept

Build two teams that become the ambassadors of the NFL and sell the game around the world while NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith figure out the next collective bargaining agreement. I have met with Goodell and Smith on numerous occasions and I believe that they are not only smart guys, but also creative minds that might see what I see when it comes to a win-win plan.

The NFL wants to sell the game worldwide and expand the schedule to 18 games. My plan solves those issues as well as providing players employment opportunities, developing the minority coaching program, keeping some high-profile coaches in the game and building a talent pool the NFL can tap into in the second half of the season. It might even resolve the issues surrounding the coaches' pension problems.

We all know how the Harlem Globetrotters grew the game of basketball worldwide. My idea calls for real football played by NFL veterans who want to stay in the game.

NFL Europe didn't work because it was minor-league talent in the spring. Here's a concept that could excite fans worldwide. The league should hire a real smart guy like Bruce Allen, the former GM of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, to run the world tour and recruit the talent and coaches. The tour games would look similar to the Pro Bowl, and the advanced marketing would be easy with former legends of the game.
Keys to the plan:

1) Hire two head coaches, guys like Jon Gruden and Mike Shanahan, to head up two teams of world ambassadors. If they aren't interested, I'm sure guys like Marty Schottenheimer, Dan Reeves, Don Shula and others would love the opportunity.

2) Offer the top 100 out-of-work players the opportunity to join one of the two 50-men rosters that will play an eight-game schedule against each other around the world. While some players will respectfully decline to participate, there are another 100 waiting for the chance. Wait until you see the players who could join these teams.
Global swarming
Until the NFL adopts Pat Kirwan's idea of having two teams of unemployed NFL veterans touring the world, the league's top ambassador might be Dhani Jones. More ...

3) The NFL wants to sell the game around the world, in part so it can help deliver the salary compensation and years toward the coaches' pension. The league will also be excited to see the revenue streams available and the potential to grab a veteran player at the end of the world tour. I see the games being played on Friday nights, so stateside fans can get a chance to see their favorite older stars. Don't you think fans would love to see Marvin Harrison catching passes from Trent Green? Or Donnie Edwards tackling Shaun Alexander?

4) Set up a three-week training camp for both teams starting on Aug. 1 at one site (Orlando, Honolulu or Los Angeles would work). Finish preseason camp with a preseason game for each team against an NFL team in the last week of the preseason. The fourth week of the preseason is about as boring as it gets in the NFL, but these games would provide great interest. Imagine if a team full of guys who were told their time has come in the NFL put a whipping on a real team?

5) Here's an eight-game schedule that might create more worldwide interest in the NFL than sending two teams to London every year. Kick off the season with a four-week European schedule starting on Sept. 11 in London, Sept. 18 in Berlin, Sept. 25 in Paris and Oct. 2 in Rome (you could substitute another German city, or maybe Amsterdam or Barcelona). Then both teams could take a week off before the second phase of the tour, which picks up in Mexico City on Oct. 16, Honolulu on Oct. 23 (Hawaii lost the Pro Bowl in 2010, but this might be more exciting), Tokyo on Oct. 30 and Sydney on Nov. 6.

6) The players are home by Nov. 9 and NFL teams would be free to sign them for the second half of their season and the playoffs. Most out-of-work veterans know if they get to November and don't get the call, their careers are over. This world tour would keep them in football shape and might remind some general managers that they still have what it takes to win in the NFL.

Worldwide fans would recognize the players on these teams, especially if they wore the helmets of the teams they played for in the NFL -- just like in the Pro Bowl.

7) Here's just a partial list of players out of work who could make up the two rosters. I'm sure many would turn down the opportunity for various reasons, but an awful lot of them have told me that they still want to play but no one is calling. Imagine if the commissioner said that a troubled player could work off a suspension by playing on the world tour? Some of these guys might be signed by the time this is posted, but others will become available. Here's the list:

Quarterbacks: Rex Grossman, J.P. Losman, Trent Green, Gus Frerotte, Brad Johnson and Anthony Wright ... maybe even Brett Favre!

Running backs: Edgerrin James, Shaun Alexander, Warrick Dunn, Deuce McAllister, Ron Dayne, DeShaun Foster, Tatum Bell, Samkon Gado and Jesse Chatman.

Ben Liebenberg / NFL.com
A Super Bowl winner like Jon Gruden certainly would add to the international interest in a traveling NFL team.

Wide receivers: Marvin Harrison, Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Matt Jones, Marty Booker, Drew Bennett, Troy Brown, Ike Hilliard, Joe Jurevicius, Koren Robinson, Travis Taylor and Reggie Williams.

Tight ends: Mark Bruener, Justin Peelle and Marcus Pollard.

Offensive tackles: Fred Miller, Jason Fabini, Levi Jones, Barry Stokes, Wayne Gandy, Kwame Harris and Jon Runyan.

Guards/Centers: Pete Kendall, Edwin Mulitalo, Adrian Jones, Terrence Metcalf, Ephraim Salaam, Jason Whittle, Chris Naeole, Melvin Fowler, Grey Ruegamer, Andy McCollum, Tom Nalen and Jeremy Newberry.

Defensive ends: Jason Taylor, Kevin Carter, Kalimba Edwards, Ebenezer Ekuban, Simon Fraser, Travis Laboy, Willie McGinest and John Engelberger.

Defensive tackles: La'Roi Glover, Dewayne Robertson, Hollis Thomas, Anthony Weaver, Brian Young, Orpheus Roye and Kindal Moorehead.

Linebackers: Derrick Brooks, Donnie Edwards, Morlon Greenwood, Napoleon Harris, Gary Stills, Marcus Washington, Jamie Winborn and Ryan Nece.

Cornerbacks: Sam Madison, R.W. McQuarters, Roderick Hood, Deltha O'Neal, Patrick Surtain, David Barrett, Jerametrius Butler, Travis Fisher, Aaron Glenn, Adam Jones, Chris McAlister and Fakhir Brown.

Safeties: Rodney Harrison, Kevin Kaesviharn, Sammy Knight, Lawyer Milloy, Corey Chavous and Mike Brown.

Kickers/Punters: Martin Gramatica, John Carney, John Kasay and Matt Stover.

Don't think for a second that a large number of these and other players don't want to show NFL teams they can still play. Every year there will be another 250 veterans being replaced by rookie draft picks, so the pool would never run dry.

It's time to tap into a resource that has never tapped into before. Instead of turning our backs to the men leaving the game, let's offer them a chance to be ambassadors of the game. Could anyone sell this game better than people like Derrick Brooks, Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinest or Jon Gruden? Do you think a team consisting of the best 53 players not on an NFL roster could still win some games in the NFL? I do!

I love this idea.

It's not a terrible idea, but it would be a hard sell to a lot of veteran players who would not dig the traveling aspect of it. Also, a big LOL to the idea of Shula coaching one of those teams.

That's just....LOL. It's genius and completely insane at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"