The Night King Thread

Rowsdower!

Avenger
Reaction score
Lw72dW.gif

BCEQHC.gif

O2VYrz.gif

This is a thread dedicated to everyone's favorite frosty Darth Maul lookalike.

On the show at least, we know that the Night (or Night's) King was once a human, sacrificed by the Children of the Forest and turned into a White Walker to protect them from the First Men. But of course, ol' horny didn't like being used as a weapon and decided to go his own way. In the books, he may or may not have been a former Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

I'm curious what they might do with the Night King before the series is over. Despite being the big, BIG bad, we have yet to hear him utter a line of dialogue. And I'm honestly not sure if that should change. The White Walkers' silence adds to their mystique. On the other hand, it might lend some interesting insight into his character. I mean, from what we know of the Night King, he has every right to be p***ed off at the world. Though wiping out all of humanity doesn't really make sense if his only goal is revenge; the Children of the Forest are the ones who were responsible for his fate, and they're all gone.

So why wipe out the rest of existence? Is it simply because of his evil nature and lust for total domination? Or could there be some other reason that he feels all of Westeros needs to be turned into his army of the dead?

Lw72dW.gif

BCEQHC.gif

O2VYrz.gif

This is a thread dedicated to everyone's favorite frosty Darth Maul lookalike.

On the show at least, we know that the Night (or Night's) King was once a human, sacrificed by the Children of the Forest and turned into a White Walker to protect them from the First Men. But of course, ol' horny didn't like being used as a weapon and decided to go his own way. In the books, he may or may not have been a former Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

I'm curious what they might do with the Night King before the series is over. Despite being the big, BIG bad, we have yet to hear him utter a line of dialogue. And I'm honestly not sure if that should change. The White Walkers' silence adds to their mystique. On the other hand, it might lend some interesting insight into his character. I mean, from what we know of the Night King, he has every right to be p***ed off at the world. Though wiping out all of humanity doesn't really make sense if his only goal is revenge; the Children of the Forest are the ones who were responsible for his fate, and they're all gone.

So why wipe out the rest of existence? Is it simply because of his evil nature and lust for total domination? Or could there be some other reason that he feels all of Westeros needs to be turned into his army of the dead?

He's menacing as hell, I love it...I also think it's kind of funny how white walkers refers to the undead army and the zombies in walking dead are also called walkers lol.

I wonder if he is still the 13th Lord Commander of the Night Watch in the show, and if the original purpose of the Night Watch was to hunt the children.

He is one cool dude. I hope there are a few more rampaging scenes like the Hodor one where his boys wreck shop. I really can't visualise how the battles are going to go when the real war starts.

I wonder if he is still the 13th Lord Commander of the Night Watch in the show, and if the original purpose of the Night Watch was to hunt the children.

I don't think so because the Night's Watch only existed once the Wall went up, right? And the Wall was built to protect Westeros from the Walkers.

The Night King in the show and the Night's King of the books probably share nothing in common. The character in the show is very clearly the leader of the White Walkers, which I don't necessarily think is a thing in the books.

Plus, the Night's King of the books, the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, is really just one in a line of people throughout history who have given themselves to the White Walkers/Great Other to try and usher in the Long Night. It's less that they become Sauron and more that they become a Nazgul type figure in service to this great evil.

The Night King in the show and the Night's King of the books probably share nothing in common. The character in the show is very clearly the leader of the White Walkers, which I don't necessarily think is a thing in the books.

Yeah, they just took the name, I think.

I don't think so because the Night's Watch only existed once the Wall went up, right? And the Wall was built to protect Westeros from the Walkers.

That is total spec on my part but things could be misremembered over 8000 years. Kind of like Bran the builder said to have built different structures centuries apart.

I am curiously curious about this guy's exposition,
And why would he want to go to the seven kingdoms

My theory for the show is that we're going to get a 'there must always be a Night King,' scenario. Like how the Flying Dutchman in the POTC movies must always have a Captain. Except Jon takes over as Night King and ends the White Walkers' war against the living.

Huh. Yeah, I suppose I could see that happening but I kinda hope not. Jon's had a sh** life in a lot of ways and it would suck for him to live out the rest of his existence as a wraith.

I am curiously curious about this guy's exposition,
And why would he want to go to the seven kingdoms

In search of warmer climes. Too cold up North!

My theory for the show is that we're going to get a 'there must always be a Night King,' scenario. Like how the Flying Dutchman in the POTC movies must always have a Captain. Except Jon takes over as Night King and ends the White Walkers' war against the living.
I'd hate this. He deserves some happiness.

Huh. Yeah, I suppose I could see that happening but I kinda hope not. Jon's had a sh** life in a lot of ways and it would suck for him to live out the rest of his existence as a wraith.

Right

Yeah. And like Victarion said, we've already seen this scenario play out in the worst POTC movie in the original trilogy. It was bad there and I don't need to see it here.

Yeah. And like Victarion said, we've already seen this scenario play out in the worst POTC movie in the original trilogy. It was bad there and I don't need to see it here.

Davy wasn't in OST. :o

Have the show runners said if they're going for a bittersweet ending, as GRRM is doing with the novels? The only other theory I've seen, that comes close, is Bran doing his time travel thing and ending up as the Night King. I don't like it; I don't think DnD could write it right. GRRM might could since he's got a background in SF.

Have the show runners said if they're going for a bittersweet ending, as GRRM is doing with the novels? The only other theory I've seen, that comes close, is Bran doing his time travel thing and ending up as the Night King. I don't like it; I don't think DnD could write it right. GRRM might could since he's got a background in SF.

That's why I said the original trilogy. AWE was so bad I never saw the next two POTC movies.

Anyway, I don't think time travel is the way to go. Maybe that was an adult Bran that we saw get dragonglass plunged into his chest but I doubt it. Of course, we didn't see him standing or walking if I remember correctly, but that's most likely because he was tied to a tree.

Oh right, that would be an interesting ending.

Despite the fact I hate the origin of the Night King, I love the presence he carries in each scene. I rewatch so many of his scenes.

I really hope he gets a line of dialogue.

Despite the fact I hate the origin of the Night King, I love the presence he carries in each scene. I rewatch so many of his scenes.

that might ruin the mystery

I liked the origin scene, but I don't really like that the Children created him, and from a not-sufficiently-cool-looking guy lol.

I like the theory that everything is because of Bran.

He's in the throne room in a flashback and in real time there's wights all around so he's yelling to Burn them all.

He goes back and becomes Bran the Builder.... Children of the Forest catch him and he ends up the Night's King. I might be disappointed if more Hodor type **** doesn't happen.

I like the theory that everything is because of Bran.

He's in the throne room in a flashback and in real time there's wights all around so he's yelling to Burn them all.

He goes back and becomes Bran the Builder.... Children of the Forest catch him and he ends up the Night's King. I might be disappointed if more Hodor type **** doesn't happen.

But wouldn't that be too easy? Chalking all the intricate web of lore up to "Bran did it" is too convenient for such a sprawling and complex world as Westeros. I do think there will be more causality loop shenanigans with Bran, I think him becoming Bran the Builder is possible if not likely, but it shouldn't be taken that far IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"