The Official Aquaman costume thread!

John-An

Wonder Fingers!
Reaction score
Welcome to the official Aquaman suit thread. With the official image released by Zack Snyder, whats your opinion on the costume?

isI1tfY.jpg

supposedly the image without the filter, made by a fan.

1131226320446391077.png

This is a great analysis made by Screen-Rant
The Trident

Though referred to as a “tri-dent,” comic fans will immediately recognize the five-pointed spear as The Trident of Neptune, the weapon forged from the essence of the god of the sea himself. He who wields it claims divine right of rule over the world’s oceans – and, as Snyder, has confirmed, wields the ability to make even the Man of Steel bleed:

“The cool thing with Aquaman is his trident – people don’t realize that can actually cut the flesh of Superman if they came in contact. That’s a thing that’s in the canon.”

It’s unlikely that the Trident will boast all of its comic book powers, like the ability to control the weather or transform living creatures, but it just may be the explanation for Aquaman’s mastery over the seas, waves, and all the life which dwells within it. And if the upcoming Aquaman movie is going to be based on a rival for the throne of Atlantis (as we expect it to be), then there’s a good chance the Trident could become a highly sought-after weapon.

Fun fact: the Trident is also one of the Seven Relics of Atlantis: secret items scattered between Arthur Curry and his most trusted allies.

-
Spearhead Tattoos/Engravings

Jason Momoa Aquaman Tattoo Meanings Jason Momoas Aquaman Armor & Tattoos Explained

Neither Aquaman nor Wonder Woman hail from ancient Greece or Rome (technically) yet both sport armor with strong ties to those eras and cultures. In this case, the armor, along with the trident, is fairly common for any and all warriors intended to imply a connection to the sea. The fisherman’s weapon was used by the Retiarius – gladiators in the Roman Colosseum who sported a similar single-arm shoulder and arm protection (known as a manica).

But for those Polynesians who practice the art of tribal tattoos going back centuries (including the half-Hawaiian Momoa’s ancestors), marking one’s skin with ink was all the armor needed. Techniques and purpose vary across Polynesian peoples, but several common images and spiritual connections persist. In this case: the image of the spearhead; or rather, fields of overlapping spearheads seeming to cover both arms, and continued into the engravings on the armor itself.

As one might expect, the image is meant to convey courage and battle strength. The broader meaning can simply be that of warrior, or even a bond to stabbing sea creatures like stingrays. The placement of the tattoo can be just as important as the image itself, so Aquaman being literally covered in spears from the shoulder down sends a clear message.

-
Shark Teeth Tattoos/Engraving

Aquaman Jason Momoa Armor Tattoo Meaning Jason Momoas Aquaman Armor & Tattoos Explained

Another one of the most common images found in Polynesian tattooing is of shark teeth, given the highly spiritual view of the fish among island people. Though sharks are known to most mainlanders today for their lethality, the shark deity Ka-moho-aliʻi is particularly revered, often credited with guiding the first peoples of Hawaii to the islands.

Because of that, lines or fields of the triangular shark teeth are meant to communicate guidance, ferocity, and power. These tattoos seem to be spread all over Aquaman’s sides and chest, once again implying his authority – and responsibility – over his people. As it happens, the armored bracer on Aquaman’s left arm is adorned with the exact same field of shark teeth Momoa already possesses. As he explained in an interview with Inked magazine, the shark is his aumakua, or family deity:

“It’s something my cousins all have, and it goes on the left side of your arm—it’s like a guardian. It’s basically like your power animal, whatever animal represents your family or your tribe. And ours is a shark, a mano. And then there are arrows that face out—out of your heart, that’s what it represents.”

-
Belt/Insignia

Jason Momoa Aquaman Armor Belt Logo Jason Momoas Aquaman Armor & Tattoos Explained

Sadly, one of the most clever and inspired elements of Jason Momoa’s ‘Aquaman’ design may go completely unnoticed by all but the hardcore. Every superhero needs a logo, and with Arthur Curry a.k.a. Aquaman, it’s the ‘A’ insignia typically attached to his belt. The painfully obvious marking has been tweaked over the years, with the New 52 re-imagining the shape and object as a type of Atlantean technology – one that just happens to look like the letter ‘A’ (recalling how Superman wears the Kryptonian symbol for ‘Hope’ that just happens to resemble an ‘S’).

With Momoa’s wardrobe, the insignia acutally looks to be the outline of the same spearhead motif found throughout his armor and tattoos. As an added bonus, the two rivets that seem to attach the spearhead ‘A’ to Momoa’s belt almost appear as the eyes of a gaping shark. We might be reading too much into that, but fans will admit it’s a truly crafty design element that honors the comic canon in an unexpected way.

-
Hands That… Feed?

Batman V Superman Aquaman Tattoo Meanings Jason Momoas Aquaman Armor & Tattoos Explained

It would appear that Jason Momoa’s entire body will be covered in ink for his portrayal of a Polynesian Aquaman (with the actor claiming he hopes to represent all island people with dignity). Several of his tattoos – the striped images on his stomach, and the neck lines that seem to mirror the ridges on his Trident, for instance – are worthy of further analysis, but the markings on his hands are of particular interest.

We’re not certain, but the design appears similar to an element found in several Tiki (demigods that may have begun as humans or ancestors) designs – specifically, their mouths. The parted lips and tongues would imply that Aquaman has, at least, symbolically, turned his hands into mouths of an unknown deity. That’s all speculation on our part, and official explanations will hopefully be made available soon.

But given the rest of the hero’s design, the notion that he would use his implements of death (or nurturing) ‘feed’ doesn’t seem like much of a stretch.

But if you have some analysis on the suit, as the little but important details, please share them.

I don't like it at all, but I don't hate it. I want to eventually see a more traditional looking outfit.

I love the look! I like Peter David's run of Aquaman so this is perfect to me. So far Aquaman is shaping to be the DCCU character I'm going to enjoy the most.

I'm okay with the look. Slightly disappointed... but only because it's almost EXACTLY (seriously) what I expected when the words "Snyder/Momoa Aquaman" were first put together. Like, it's insane. I was hoping the'd surprise me with the gold shirt and a neater look.

That said, I think the unfiltered version looks a darn sight better. I hope it's got nice colour like that (the movie as a whole).

Like others have expressed. Somewhat disappointed, but I don't outright hate it. I'm not by any means a big fan of Aquaman, but I would have hoped they would have constructed a look that had more in common with the comics rather than the odd reference here and there that you'd have to point out to people. It's a messy look with a lot going on and doesn't really speak to the more clean cut look of the character from the comics (who even with a beard never looked that messy).

If they were to change anything for his solo movie (not that they necessarily will). I would maybe clean his hair up a bit and give him a scale armour shirt. In my opinion would go a long way towards cleaning up his look.

Also I've seen people elsewhere raise the point that as Aquaman he looks like he does in other similar roles he's had. I kinda agree. It doesn't look a world away from what he has done before.

I don't care for it. Never really cared for that look for the character. But, this was totally expected based on what Snyder and Momoa said plus the general impression all involved have given for the film universe they're creating.

I'm probably one of the few who doesn't want the tattoos to glow. Save that for Kaldur, who has more simple ones.

I'll just drop my thoughts on the costume here too, as this is the actual place to do so. :woot:

I can't really vote, as none of the answers above fit my sentiment toward this costume.

I'm rather underwhelmed by it. I expected and hoped for prevailingly "90's Aquaman" look that this certainly is, but I find this to be too plain, primitive and barbaric.

I would prefer them trying to combine the 90's look with the chain-mail (I believe short-sleeved chain-mail would work) or at least make him wear something more, but I think I'd even accept this look (though tattoos are definitely excessive) if they've made the design of those pieces of armor more interesting and otherwordly. There are no interesting Atlantean motifs and ornaments on manica and bracers, nothing to depict the unique culture of such a strange underwater civilization.

Basically, it is a retiarius gladiator with Polynesian tattoos, and I find this design to be somewhat lazy and plain.

I love it!
The triangle shapes on his armor and in his tattoos work well as a visual replacement for the scalemail shirt.

also
I wouldn't have cared if they left the blonde hair out completely but I appreciate that they added hints of it.

Last edited:
What if his bracelets do this?

manacles-of-force-001-124259.jpg

Does the "A" buckle with the two rivets resembles to this?

HT94-523.jpg

Love the **** out of it. And I'm not going to lie; a large part of its appeal to me, as someone born in 1990, is that it's my generation's Aquaman, and not a return of the overall Silver Age resurgence that has some rather mean spirited champions on forums and more than a few people who I tend to think are blinded by nostalgia keep "harping" on.

However, I will argue in a more objective manner that the design draws from the far more unique and striking 1990s design, and that the implementation of islander tattos and designs are an exciting addition to the character. I sometimes feel the 1990s get a bad rap for DC fans when I think it objectively did more good than harm to their mythos. I think that there is a certain intrinsic value towards making Aquaman look less like a classic superhero and spandex design. I know it's offset by the timeless appeal some fans see, but I just don't see anything overly unique to his classic orange and green suit. It's largely a blond Superman minus a cape and with different colors.

I will agree that the design is compensation for the perceived flaws of the character thanks to Superfriends. But I think that's a necessary facet of the character now; every modern incarnation of the character is going to have to address it. The visual cues of the bare-chested, bearded look are just visual short hand for the expositionary refutal of the jokes in modern comics. Both are pretty obnoxious; classic fans looking at the barbaric look wonder what happened to their favorite character and why he looks so aggressive and grungy, while modern fans looking at the new comics wonder why they have to pause a story to have som idiot reminded that Aquaman's a badass.

That's the trade off; all the fans know he's dangerous. Some just prefer it be displayed visually and never brought up again, whereas others would prefer it be integrated into the story and mocked.

There's green. the pic has filter.

Haven't you seen the pics from fan that took out the filter? It's not 100% sure but there are green on the pants.

It's growing on me, but I can't help but feel slightly underwhelmed.
I never really cared for the 90s Aquaman look.
I wish they would have adapted the new 52 costume, but oh well.
Need to see it in action for further judgment.

As someone who doesn't read the comics, I like the released picture, and that's largely the sort of thing I envisioned after Momoa was cast. On the other hand, the supposed unfiltered image is too..day-glo, too busy with the colors. So "I need to see it in motion to judge it" most closely fits where I stand, because I need to see it in color to judge it.

Aquamoa's look inspired this?

11138648_906516082749190_2061093191744871775_n.jpg

Aquaman #42.

I'm fine with it, though I'd have been curious to see Wilkinson and Snyder take on the orange/green costume.

Still, after Momoa was announced, I expected a design like this.

Maybe when he joins the Justice League he has an update?

No doubt every hero will have updates, minor could be, but for merchandise that's a given.

Like many I expected Snyder to go with barbarian look but I hoped I was wrong.I wasn't.

So I'm disappointed,Aquaman looks way tooo wild and barbaric.And I don't buy that they couldn't make some thing closer to the classic.I think it was just bias against the classic.

the messiness of Aquamans look is the reason I am not a Fan.The design could still work if it was tidied up like below.
b3dff66a6a36d1986e2e96a49c926a61.jpg

Do you really believe this is going to be his final superhero outfit? I could see some major updates for the JL film.

Is this really worthy of separate thread? You could have asked this question in any of Aquaman's thread, like many people did before.

To answer it shortly - some people believe he'll get something closer to the "classic" suit, I personally find it possible, though I'd much prefer something in the middle than the full bodysuit.

Last edited:
^^ :funny: Really does it have too much difference :whatever:

In other news... this is Aquaman's new costume... Would you like to see something like this for JL?

CFAlzXUUkAEj5IO.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"