The Official Lanterns News & Discussion Thread

I mean, it was just 2 months ago that the show in its current incarnation was scrapped and under this new DCU, is being reinvented from the ground up to focus on John Stewart instead. So it's not like they're doing nothing with it. It's basically just back to square one now, as we gotta wait for the creative team to get on board and all that jazz again. The Hollywood Reporter even said in the article that it would be taking the slower the HBO-development route (which generally takes YEARS), so I don't know why anyone's expecting news on this anytime soon, honestly. That doesn't mean ~nothing's happening~.

Perhaps this is pointing out the obvious but it wouldn’t surprise me if this got retooled to be part of the new DCU. Personally, I think it would make total sense to have this be set in the new DCU and I could certainly see Gunn & Safran going this route.

Thats what i fear.
In general the lack of Interest in GL is kind of pissing me off.
Like Gunn talked about Superman being important, Batman etc...but what about GL?

How can we have something like GL but nobody involved at WB sees its potential?
Its insane.
Gunn did say this:

I’m pretty positive that Gunn is going to repurpose that show to take place in the new DCU. So I wouldn’t expect it to take place in its own standalone universe separate from the movies like every DC show not named Peacemaker so far.

Gunn did say this:

I’m pretty positive that Gunn is going to repurpose that show to take place in the new DCU. So I wouldn’t expect it to take place in its own standalone universe separate from the movies like every DC show not named Peacemaker so far.

Ah good to know he mentioned GL.
As long as it doesnt get overlooked, im fine with waiting and all.

So this has nothing to do with anything at the moment but I was watching the new season of Jack Ryan and I couldn’t help but think how great Marc Menchaca would be as Guy Gardner. He’s a bit older than I would typically picture Guy but if you had Guy and Hal as the established veterans and John as the fresh recruit, it could work. Menchaca was also really good on Ozark and The Outsider.

A0504-C2-E-F392-4882-8-B6-D-EFFF3-D57-D477.jpg

So safe to assume the new Series is what this evolved into?
Yes. The old series with Berlanti is dead. This is now a totally different show that’s been repurposed to be part of the DCU. This show is pretty much going to be a what the cancelled Green Lantern Corps movie was going to be with its space buddy cop premise.

I'm not too worried about it, the True Detective description and it being on HBO makes Me feel more comfortable that its not QUITE a budget thing but more a story thing.

That being said a film would have preferable for me, either way I'm not upset.

I would swap this and Supergirl: Woman Of Tomorrow's places (make the Supergirl movie into the HBO show and the Lanterns a movie).

Hot mess. They havent learned ANYTHING GL related have they? No way in HADES do we need an Earth based GL ANYTHING. Bring us to the depths of Outer Space and stop being cheap.

I would swap this and Supergirl: Woman Of Tomorrow's places (make the Supergirl movie into the HBO show and the Lanterns a movie).
If it were an Earthbound SG story I’d agree, but Woman of Tomorrow specifically is an entire cosmic odyssey (I don’t think there’s a single scene on Earth) so I can see how that story would be too expensive for TV.

But I agree GL should never be attempted on the cheap. That’s a non-starter with this IP. And it sure as hell shouldn’t be mainly Earthbound. What a waste.

Just not a fan of Green Lanterns on Earth. Space Cops who don't go into space. Maybe they do a Lantern Corps show and do space later on. Well we might get Nathan Fillion to be Hal Jordan at least in live action now, since he is in with Gunn. Only problem is if Gunn uses Nathan I am sure he will do it so he can just kill him.

I wonder who the villain would be, if its a Dark Mystery there may not be one until the end but it would be interesting none the less.

Im kinda hoping the mystery is white martians invading Earth, or even the cult/ creatures from a New Frontier

I would be all for this...BUT, now that I know they're doing a Booster Gold show, I feel like that's the role he was truly born for.

I think if it had been a redo of Hal's origin, then Glen Powell would be all in. I know he's a big aero enthusiast and is even a producer on an upcoming Blue Angels documentary.

Just curious, but did the Ryan Reynolds GL movie bombing permanently scare off WB from ever using the word “green” in a title again? We already had Arrow for years and now we have Lanterns. I feel like Green Lantern Corps would be a better title (even if the show doesn’t delve too far into the other members besides Hal and John).

It just makes me think back to when a few movies used the word “Mars” in the title and they all bombed so when they released John Carter, they weren’t allowed to use it out of fear that it would tank the movie. Yet it never occurred to them that “John Carter” is about as dull of a title as you can get and probably contributed to the movie bombing anyway.

So then why not just call it Green Lantern or Green Lantern Corps? Does “Lanterns” really sound better?

I can't speak to that but I'm sure there is some lame market research that fed the decision. Focus groups fuel stuff like that not done film that came out over a decade ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"