X-Men The Official MCU X-Men News and Discussion Thread

Actually thinking about it I definitely would want Viggo Mortensen as Magneto instead and Daniel Craig as Xavier

Well, I am in favor of updating most of X-Men to look acceptably diverse for today's standards. However, if they chose a white guy to play Erik, I like Murray Bartlett.

images

Great actor, gray hair, proper age (imo), and much like Sir Ian McKellen, openly gay. Although the character (probably) wouldn't be gay.

And speaking of which, I kinda got a queer subtext on 97 when Jubilee call him Charles' ex... bestie. And the whole will thing. But that's probably the big gay in me.

I liked some of Fox's X-Men movies, but I really think its time to let that franchise rest for a while...and when you do bring it back, don't stress one allegory over all the rest. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby meant for those characters to represent all the oppressed, not just some of them.

I liked some of Fox's X-Men movies, but I really think its time to let that franchise rest for a while...and when you do bring it back, don't stress one allegory over all the rest. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby meant for those characters to represent all the oppressed, not just some of them.

[looks around the US and the world]

Nope, No need for a strong allegory in the X-men at all. Everything is just dandy in terms of civil rights.

[looks around the US and the world]

Nope, No need for a strong allegory in the X-men at all. Everything is just dandy in terms of civil rights.
I just think its been overkill at this point. There's been 10 of them, including the Wolverine spinoffs, in the past 24 years. That's pretty crowded, considering all the other comic-based movies out there. At least the MCU mixes it up on a regular basis.

I just think its been overkill at this point. There's been 10 of them, including the Wolverine spinoffs, in the past 24 years. That's pretty crowded, considering all the other comic-based movies out there. At least the MCU mixes it up on a regular basis.

And your solution is to take away what makes the X-men the X-men?

And your solution is to take away what makes the X-men the X-men?
No, but they've spent the past 24 years focusing on one character trait, at the expense of everything else. Like I wrote earlier, the comics were done to champion all who felt victimized, not just one group.

No, but they've spent the past 24 years focusing on one character trait, at the expense of everything else. Like I wrote earlier, the comics were done to champion all who felt victimized, not just one group.

Funny thing about oppression allegories. Oppression of one group tends to apply to another just as well if you look at it at a different time in our history.

Get out of here with this "White Lives Matter" bull****.

Funny thing about oppression allegories. Oppression of one group tends to apply to another just as well if you look at it at a different time in our history.

I didn't say anything of the sort.

It'll never happen because she's not famous enough but Michelle Joy's totally Dazzler.

1711329244565.jpeg

We probably aren't going to see the MCU X-Men for several more years. By then it will have been almost 10 years since Dark Phoenix came out. That's sufficient enough of a break, IMO.

Easy, people. Let's all talk gently and not let this get out of hand, please.

Actually thinking about it I definitely would want Viggo Mortensen as Magneto instead and Daniel Craig as Xavier

Funny thing is, I wouldn't be opposed to giving Daniel Craig a nice white wig and letting him be Magneto.

We probably aren't going to see the MCU X-Men for several more years. By then it will have been almost 10 years since Dark Phoenix came out. That's sufficient enough of a break, IMO.
Another thing - I'd prefer it if they left Wolverine out for a short while, at least two films. And when they do bring him in, cast someone who actually resembles the comics. Hugh Jackman's a good actor, but I quickly got tired of him being the focus of every movie.

The original group in the first X-Men story consisted of Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Angel, and Marvel Girl (later renamed Jean Grey). Wolverine wasn't added until 1974, a full eleven years after the comics started...and he was originally a foe for the Hulk. His adamantium backstory wasn't even added until 1991.

But the one character I want to see faithfully adapted for the MCU is Rogue - she was my favorite from the comics when I was a kid. And now that the characters will eventually join the MCU, maybe they can perhaps get around to her fight with Captain Marvel...if Brie Larson's still playing the role by that point.

Last edited:
The original group in the first X-Men story consisted of Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Angel, and Marvel Girl (later renamed Jean Grey). Wolverine wasn't added until 1974, a full eleven years after the comics started...and he was originally a foe for the Hulk. His adamantium backstory wasn't even added until 1991.

But the one character I want to see faithfully adapted for the MCU is Rogue - she was my favorite from the comics when I was a kid. And now that the characters will eventually join the MCU, maybe they can perhaps get around to her fight with Captain Marvel...if Brie Larson's still playing the role by that point.
I'm not a huge Rogue fan, but I'd love to see her get her full powers myself. :)

I'm not a huge Rogue fan, but I'd love to see her get her full powers myself. :)
The comics' version had a lot more attitude as well, compared to Anna Paquin's portrayal. In the books, Rogue didn't take crap from anybody - she spoke her mind and fought back when she thought the situation called for it. As for her love life, she had notable romances with Iceman and especially Gambit, but I don't recall her having much of an interest in Wolverine.

The comics' version had a lot more attitude as well, compared to Anna Paquin's portrayal. In the books, Rogue didn't take crap from anybody - she spoke her mind and fought back when she thought the situation called for it. As for her love life, she had notable romances with Iceman and especially Gambit, but I don't recall her having much of an interest in Wolverine.
She, didn't, more like a sister at best. In the first movie I got more of a daughter vibe than of a love interest anyhow.

The original group in the first X-Men story consisted of Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Angel, and Marvel Girl (later renamed Jean Grey). Wolverine wasn't added until 1974, a full eleven years after the comics started
Tbf 5 of those 11 years were reprints.

Its still an eternity, in the literature publication industry.
The point I was making was while I agree we don't need Wolverine on the team initally, the comics weren't thriving for those 11 years before his introduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"