The Official NPD Monthly Sales Numbers Thread

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe best-selling game

[FONT=&quot]Despite the Nintendo Switch being hard to come by and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe releasing two days before April's NPD reporting period ended, the duo rocked April 2017 sales.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]According to the NPD Group, 280,000 people managed to get their hands on a Nintendo Switch in April, making it the second time (consecutively) that the Nintendo Switch has been the top-selling console in the United States. While 280,000 is an impressive number, the Switch managed to sell 906,000 in its first 28 days on the market.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The numbers look even better for Nintendo if you combine the 3DS sales with the Switch sales. Adding up those two figures has Nintendo hardware making up almost half of this month's sales.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, the game released on April 28 and managed to sell over 460,000 physical copies and more than 90,000 digital copies (more than 550,000 total), before the NPD reporting period ended on April 29.[/FONT]

IN THIS ARTICLE

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tags:
MARIO KART 8NINTENDO SWITCH
[/FONT]

source: http://www.gamezone.com/
GZ_logo-e60bbbfb8172ed2476fe1c65210e382e.svg

They've got the Switch so right after getting the wii U so wrong. Great recovery :up:

wouldn't be surprised if Switch won the BF/Cyber Monday holiday period.

Nintendo Switch reportedly top selling console in December 2017, Xbox One outsells PS4 in...- January 12, 2018

[FONT=&quot]The NPD Group has not released final numbers, but Microsoft's head of Xbox Games Marketing has revealed which consoles came out on top. According...
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Read more

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=Roboto !important][FONT=Roboto !important][FONT=Roboto !important][FONT=Roboto !important][FONT=&quot]
source:
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gamezone[/FONT]

man, when did this thread get unstickied? came across this while searching for a different one. anyway, to date, the latest sales figure we have for the consoles is Xbone at around 50 million, Ps4 at at least 106 million, and the Switch at over 55 million. So a console that released ~3 years after one of its competition has outsold its competition. when this generation is over I think it is likely the Switch could outsell the Ps4 too.

probably bc it hasnt been touched in a year and a half

man, when did this thread get unstickied? came across this while searching for a different one. anyway, to date, the latest sales figure we have for the consoles is Xbone at around 50 million, Ps4 at at least 106 million, and the Switch at over 55 million. So a console that released ~3 years after one of its competition has outsold its competition. when this generation is over I think it is likely the Switch could outsell the Ps4 too.

How fast is the Switch selling right now? That would be quite a turn up for the books if it came out on top.

So Black Ops Cold War was the best selling game in December in North America. It's a real shame because it's just not that fun. Call of Duty games released every year but if there was ever a year that Activision skips, this would have been that year.

I think there's a big possibility for Switch to outsell ps4.

Its way cheaper and you can connect it to the Tv easily just like a home console. Like yesterday, I saw another person bought a Switch. I usually only go to my local videogame retail store like 3 times maXimum a month and I always see people buying a switch. I even met someone in that store that was gonna buy a switch that day.

And btw, in that store, they still don't have a new stock for the ps5. Yet the controllers are now in display and they have stocks for controllers. Come on Sony!

I think there's a big possibility for Switch to outsell ps4.

Its way cheaper and you can connect it to the Tv easily just like a home console. Like yesterday, I saw another person bought a Switch. I usually only go to my local videogame retail store like 3 times maXimum a month and I always see people buying a switch. I even met someone in that store that was gonna buy a switch that day.

And btw, in that store, they still don't have a new stock for the ps5. Yet the controllers are now in display and they have stocks for controllers. Come on Sony!
yeah I think it is more than possibility I think it is a likelihood for Switch to outsell Ps4 in its lifetime. Throughout the last generation there was all this talk about how the Ps4 was outpacing the Ps2, but the former's sales momentum hit a brick wall once the Ps5 released. The Switch has been on the market for a little over half as long as the Ps4 has.

The Switch has been really impressive. Deserves the no.1 spot if it gets there for innovation and giving gamers a true alternative option to the 2 power consoles.

This thread rarely gets new posts and its like making a box office thread for a cb film a sticky thread. General gaming discussion thread isn't a sticky thread as well and that thread has more newer posts.

Ps5 and Series SX sales are a lot closer than you may think.

Xbox Series X|S Sales Not Far Behind PS5, Analyst Says

@Iceman can you please re-sticky this thread? It was never explained why this was un-stickied
I wouldn’t mind given the subject matter but it’s nowhere near busy enough at the moment. The post at the top of the page is from 2017. If people talk regularly in here then I’m happy to review. I would love to talk about the numbers more.

This thread rarely gets new posts and its like making a box office thread for a cb film a sticky thread. General gaming discussion thread isn't a sticky thread as well and that thread has more newer posts.
I don’t mind doing it with some of the general threads if they show a minimum level of activity as the game forum can get buried with tonnes of individual game threads (unlike the superhero forum threads).

This could be one of the strongest generations we are about to have. Having the X1 and wii U in the same gen last time made things uncompetitive for a while but now PS5 is looking very strong and building on the success of PS4, XSX is looking a lot better than X1 with gamepass also likely to be a big factor, and the Switch has done everything right that the wii U got wrong. Add in the realisation from everywhere that gaming is a very resilient industry during crazy times like pandemics and the future is looking very good IMO.

This could be one of the strongest generations we are about to have. Having the X1 and wii U in the same gen last time made things uncompetitive for a while but now PS5 is looking very strong and building on the success of PS4, XSX is looking a lot better than X1 with gamepass also likely to be a big factor, and the Switch has done everything right that the wii U got wrong. Add in the realisation from everywhere that gaming is a very resilient industry during crazy times like pandemics and the future is looking very good IMO.
I really think that with the news of mS buying zenimax and buying even more studios and with gamepass on the rise, Series X has a really good chance of overtaking Ps5's lead in sales. they just launched and they're really close.

I really think that with the news of mS buying zenimax and buying even more studios and with gamepass on the rise, Series X has a really good chance of overtaking Ps5's lead in sales. they just launched and they're really close.
I think the foundation of a major catch up is there, but for now there is probably much more pent up demand for PS5s as a continuation of the PS4's domination and big mismatch on the exclusives front (which should change a lot within a few years). Once a bunch of people switch and bring there friends along (as happened with the X1 to PS4 drain), things could look very different but that is quite a few years away and dependent on Microsoft continuing to make good moves (not like the Gold price increase) and Sony failing to grow their appeal in the interim.

I think the foundation of a major catch up is there, but for now there is probably much more pent up demand for PS5s as a continuation of the PS4's domination and big mismatch on the exclusives front (which should change a lot within a few years). Once a bunch of people switch and bring there friends along (as happened with the X1 to PS4 drain), things could look very different but that is quite a few years away and dependent on Microsoft continuing to make good moves (not like the Gold price increase) and Sony failing to grow their appeal in the interim.
if the Series X is this close on the sales gap without any major exclusives already available, I don't know how much it will actually take for them to close it even further.

As for bringing friends onto your preferred platforms, that is an excellent point but at the same time, a lot of the heavyweight IPs feature crossplay now. For instance I have played call of duty black ops cold war on Ps5 online numerous times with my friend playing on his Xbone. MLB 21 will feature crossplay as well, the first sports game to do it, and I think the more we see of this, the less of a big deal it will be where your friends are.

if the Series X is this close on the sales gap without any major exclusives already available, I don't know how much it will actually take for them to close it even further.

As for bringing friends onto your preferred platforms, that is an excellent point but at the same time, a lot of the heavyweight IPs feature crossplay now. For instance I have played call of duty black ops cold war on Ps5 online numerous times with my friend playing on his Xbone. MLB 21 will feature crossplay as well, the first sports game to do it, and I think the more we see of this, the less of a big deal it will be where your friends are.
Very good point on cross play. I didn’t realise it was extended that far already and haven’t actually ever done it yet. Maybe I should hit up some old school friends who always wanted me to play CoD on PS4 with them lol.

As for current sales, they are supply constrained and everything is selling out due to chip shortages. So it’s impossible to really tell until there is sufficient supply how much real demand is behind them both. For eg if the average XtremelyBaneful post has 10 times as much demand as the average Iceman post, so let’s say people are demanding 1000 XB posts today and only 100 Iceman posts. As the current new gen demand is always going to be higher than initial supply, if XB posted 20 times today and Iceman 80, we will both sell out and I will be outselling you 4-1 even though the real demand is 10-1 in your favour. Just wanted to do a dumb example :O

Very good point on cross play. I didn’t realise it was extended that far already and haven’t actually ever done it yet. Maybe I should hit up some old school friends who always wanted me to play CoD on PS4 with them lol.
The only two call of duty games that support full crossplay are the last two which are Modern Warfare and Blops Cold War, but yes. You totally can do that flawlessly. Hopefully this is the future of online gaming.

As for current sales, they are supply constrained and everything is selling out due to chip shortages. So it’s impossible to really tell until there is sufficient supply how much real demand is behind them both. For eg if the average XtremelyBaneful post has 10 times as much demand as the average Iceman post, so let’s say people are demanding 1000 XB posts today and only 100 Iceman posts. As the current new gen demand is always going to be higher than initial supply, if XB posted 20 times today and Iceman 80, we will both sell out and I will be outselling you 4-1 even though the real demand is 10-1 in your favour. Just wanted to do a dumb example :O
lol, if I am understand your post correctly, you're essentially saying there is a higher supply of daily Iceman posts, while the demand for XB posts are higher - however, Iceman's higher supply is what outdoes XB's reception since XB has supply constraints.

I have seen people argue that that could be one of the reasons why Series X is close to Ps5 in sales. The long term of this generation remains to be seen (it will be interesting) but you're right, without a doubt in the present time the Ps5's demand is simply higher than the Series X's

Something to consider is that, even is Sony doesn't make any mistakes this generation, they will still almost certainly lose market share. . . because their market share last generation benefited from both Microsoft and Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot. This time around, neither company has made that kind of mistake- Nintendo is of course eating everyones' lunch with the Switch, and Microsoft has avoided the always on Kinect PR and has a good cadre of studios + Gamepass as selling points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"