Superman Returns The official Perry White/Frank Langella thread

NotFadeAway

Superhero
Reaction score
I haven't seen one of these created yet, so I thought I would contribute and start a thread about the editor and chief of the Daily Planet, Perry White. Post away on your thoughts and feelings on Superman Returns take on Perry White and the man that played him, Frank Langella.

I personally didn't like the way Perry was done in the film, and Im sure I'll be disagreed with, always am on the hype, but thats no big deal. This Perry just seemed like some random Editor of a newspaper and really lacked any true character at all in the film. This made me long for Jackie Cooper and my personal favorite, Lane Smith. I know that Hugh Laurie was supposed to be in the film, and Im sure he would have had more to do, but Im still disappointed at the lack of Perry development.

In some scenes, all of his lines didn't come off to me as "Perry White, Editor of one of the greatest newspapers in the world."

In some scenes, all of his lines did, and even had a little "fatherly" emotion to it.

In others, it was half and half.

Overall, Frank's performance was OK.

i liked his this perry but i wish he had more lines like the perry of the old..he had some comedic timing..my favorite perry white qoute of all time

"Now look. The Post: "It Flies." The News: "Look, Ma, No Wires." The Times: "Blue Bomb Buzzes Metropolis." The Planet. We're sitting on top of the story of the century here! I want the name of this flying whatchamacallit to go with the Daily Planet like bacon and eggs, franks and beans, death and taxes, politics and corruption!" lol

venom420 said:
I haven't seen one of these created yet, so I thought I would contribute and start a thread about the editor and chief of the Daily Planet, Perry White. .

And you felt compelled to make it an "official" one :p

He looked like Christopher Lee's brother. It would have been cool if he turned out to be a villain, pulled a Saruman line and said Metropolis would "burn in the fire of industry."

He gets points for acknowledging the change in Supe's wardrobe. Singer loses points for not following up on that comment in the script by a simple line or two. But Singer's got enough points from him, so he can afford to lose them.

venom420 said:
I haven't seen one of these created yet, so I thought I would contribute and start a thread about the editor and chief of the Daily Planet, Perry White. Post away on your thoughts and feelings on Superman Returns take on Perry White and the man that played him, Frank Langella.

I personally didn't like the way Perry was done in the film, and Im sure I'll be disagreed with, always am on the hype, but thats no big deal. This Perry just seemed like some random Editor of a newspaper and really lacked any true character at all in the film. This made me long for Jackie Cooper and my personal favorite, Lane Smith. I know that Hugh Laurie was supposed to be in the film, and Im sure he would have had more to do, but Im still disappointed at the lack of Perry development.

I agree with you. Frank Langella is a good actor but his Perry was well bland. I didn't like that his was a calmer Perry White. Perry White should be gruff, tempermental but caring. I wanted a Perry White the way John Hamilton played him in The Adventures of Superman.

Langella Has ‘Strong Sense’ About ‘Superman’ Sequel — And Returning As Perry White

Great Caesar’s Ghost! In town to chat about his upcoming turn as former US President Richard Nixon in “Frost/Nixon,” veteran stage and screen actor Frank Langella spared a few moments to chat with MTV about the possibility of reprising his 2006 role in “Superman Returns” as one of comics’ most famous editors-in-chief, Perry White.
“I have a very strong sense that there will be another ‘Superman,’ and that I will play Perry White in it,” said Langella when asked about a potential return as the editorial chief of The Daily Planet, the newspaper of repute in DC Comics’ fictional city of Metropolis.
“I don’t know when that will be and I don’t know who the players will be in it,” continued Langella. “I don’t even know if Bryan [Singer] will direct it, but I’m sure he’s considering it and [Warner Bros.] is talking back and forth about it.”
The character of Perry White, first introduced in the “Superman” radio serials in 1940 and then later into the comics, has had a longstanding part in developing the Man of Steel’s mythology — as both an outspoken supporter of his heroic deeds and as the employer of Superman’s alter ego, Clark Kent. Langella’s performance in “Superman Returns” followed in the footsteps of several other notable actors who portrayed the character, including Jackie Cooper (”Superman: The Movie”) and Lane Smith (”Lois and Clark”), who coincidentally enough, also went on to play Richard Nixon in “The Final Days.”
“I agreed to do three [films],” said Langella. “Of course, Warners could decide they want Meryl Streep to play Perry White in it… for a different take.”

Source: mtv.com
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/11/2...superman-sequel-and-returning-as-perry-white/

Here is Barbara Walters' list of the "10 Most Fascinating People" of 2008.

10. Will Smith, actor
9. Michael Phelps, Olympic swimmer
8. Miley Cyrus, singer & television star
7. Tina Fey, actress & writer
6. Rush Limbaugh, broadcaster
5. Thomas Beatie, pregnant man
4. Frank Langella, actor
3. Sarah Palin, Alaskan governor and former VP candidate

2. Tom Cruise, actor
1. Barack Obama, president-elect

I felt that this Perry White only cared about sensationalism and selling papers. There’s noting wrong with wanting to sell papers and make money but I always thought of the Daily Plant to be more on the level of the New York Times and not The National Inquire.

Would you have preferred him to be a drunken tabloid reporter?

:woot: lol

Here is Barbara Walters' list of the "10 Most Fascinating People" of 2008.

10. Will Smith, actor
9. Michael Phelps, Olympic swimmer
8. Miley Cyrus, singer & television star
7. Tina Fey, actress & writer
6. Rush Limbaugh, broadcaster
5. Thomas Beatie, pregnant man
4. Frank Langella, actor
3. Sarah Palin, Alaskan governor and former VP candidate
2. Tom Cruise, actor
1. Barack Obama, president-elect

plus the critics are in love with his portrayal of Nixon in the film Frost/Nixon. Cool, I think he deserves it. :yay: I always liked him as an actor. He has great on screen presence. I can't wait to watch the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"