The Official Roller Derby Thread

BlackLantern

Eternal
Reaction score
As some of you all know, I have become involved with roller derby in my home state and it being a very grass roots type of sport I wanted to spread the wealth and here we go

What is Roller Derby?

Roller Derby is a sport that has been around for about a century with roots primarily in Texas and Louisiana. It was once a very theatrical (and scripted) event but has evolved into a legitimate sport with some of the old spirit

How is Roller Derby played?

There are two types of roller derby...banked track (which most of you have seen in old school reruns or the movie Whip It) and Flat Track (which is the type prominently played today) primarly due to cost and it's just easier to lay down a track on a flat surface

a typical roller derby bout is played over two 30 minute halves and broken up into 2 minute races called "Jams"

a jam starts with 10 skaters on the track...8 of these skaters form what is known as "the pack", these skaters are playing both offense and defense

behind that group are two skaters known as "jammers"...these are the skaters that score the points. Once the pack starts to skate, the jammers start after a second whistle...they must pass through the pack legally (no penalties or cutting the track), once they have done so they can begin to score points

Points are scored by passing a skater on an opposing team (even skaters in the penalty box)

How big is roller derby?

there are many different organizations but I would direct you to this website: http://wftda.com/leagues

Roller Derby is probably the only sport in the United States where the womens component is vastly larger than the mens component, but there are mens derby teams and I would direct you here : http://www.mensderbycoalition.com/

odds are there is a league or team near you, go out, support them....any WFTDA leagues are skater run and skater owned...any money you donate goes right to the teams...not some fat owner sitting in a skybox

I am coming out of the closet about this ... I was a fan of Rollergames back in the 1980s, and of Rollerjam in the 1990s.

Interesting historical tidbit: along with pro-wrestling, roller derby was the first sports entertainment to be broadcast on television, before football, baseball and basketball.

:up:

the modern incarnation is very different and its not coed....no fighting allowed,

there are groups that play co-ed, but not sure of how many there are

the physicality is somewhere between hockey and football

Is it really a "sport?" Isn't it just a competition of people beating the **** out of each other on rollerskates?

Isn't football just a competition about throwing a ball around and hitting each other?

Keep in mind, pretty much all sports we watch are based on combat. The Olympics themselves started out to showcase men's fighting skills (throwing spears, rocks, wrestling, leaping, horsemanship, etc). Football is just a game of Greek phalanxes played out on a green field.

here is a video explaining the basics of how flat track roller derby works

So Stone Cold Stunners are illegal then? :(

bump....the first transatlantic tournament was held recently...Anarchy in the UK

http://www.derbynewsnetwork.com/news

various teams from WFTDA stateside (Charm City, Steel City, Montreal) faced off against the London Roller Girls

good times

bay bombers for life

Last edited:
Not involved in it due to time constraints and fear of bodily harm, but I attend as many of the TRD bouts as I can. Copper Queens and Vice Squad = :hrt:

It's interesting the sports beginnings and also how many leagues there seem to be out there. Off the top of my head I know of the WFTDA, Renegade Rollergirls and ARSD.

Oh and I just found this, as a carry over from the TV thread :cwink:
I just discovered that KCWX in San Antonio, Texas broadcasts the TXRD Lonestar Rollergirl bouts. I don't think they're part of any organized league. One of the interesting things about RD is that they're very independent and very grassroots.

yup....its why I started helping/volunteering/NSOing...they do everything themselves

the first bout here in CT I went to, they skated against Londons All Star team, got beat, and still broke the whole place down afterwards hardcore

What is NSOing? I've heard it referenced before but can't find what it stands for.

Non Skating Official - scorekeepers, penalty trackers and wranglers, jam timer, penalty box, inside and outside whiteboard

Nice....I met Mark Linn Baker (Cousin Larry from Perfect Strangers) at a bout in Yonkers on Saturday

was he a nice guy...I miss perfect stangers. him and his wacky ideas..lmao

Nice....I met Mark Linn Baker (Cousin Larry from Perfect Strangers) at a bout in Yonkers on Saturday

Did he try to re-enact that scene where Larry wanted to impress Jennifer by trying to rollerskate and vault over 5 barrels but then almost kills himself? :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"