• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Comics The Official Steve Ditko's Spiderman Appreciation Thread

I don't know. He just said he hadn't seen it. He's didn't seem eager to talk about his past work. He's got very definite ideas about the nature of heroism and what comics mean. If you read some of the essays he did for Robin Snyder's fan mags, you'll get a good insight into where he's coming from. I don't imagine this stuff was as well thought out when he was working in the 50's and 60's-I suppose he was in the process of developing his ideas back in those days. Whether you agree with Ditko or not, at least his work has a point--and an interesting philosophical basis.

After reading this thread I searched for some more examples of Ditko’s work. I’m fascinated by the harshness in the faces he creates. How they're so lined and angsty (is that a word? lol) It’s an interesting contrast to his superheroes that have their faces completely hidden.
Does anybody know, is it true that he was/is a fan of Ayn Rand?

I don't know. He just said he hadn't seen it. He's didn't seem eager to talk about his past work. He's got very definite ideas about the nature of heroism and what comics mean. If you read some of the essays he did for Robin Snyder's fan mags, you'll get a good insight into where he's coming from. I don't imagine this stuff was as well thought out when he was working in the 50's and 60's-I suppose he was in the process of developing his ideas back in those days. Whether you agree with Ditko or not, at least his work has a point--and an interesting philosophical basis.

I love Ditko's unique style. Definitely among my favorite Spidey artists. His characters are so interesting looking.

I can see Ditko has colored your view of the character, Meehaul. And I don't mean that in a bad way. After all, he is one of Spider-man's creators, so who better to go to for insight in the character? It's clear he was passionate about the character and was not prepared for Spider-Man becoming as iconic as Superman or Batman.

Some posts are really frightening. So basically, you want the character to stay the same forever.

I'm glad Pete evolved to a cooler guy. It feels natural that he would gain some self assurance thanks to his spiderman career.

Also, while Ditko drew some amazing stories, I definitely don't think he's the best artist having worked on Spidey. He made everything possible by co-creating spidey, and it's a great legacy. But that doesn't mean nobody did better.

That said, the Lee/Ditko run is still to this day, amazing (pun intended).

one bad-ass lookin' Ditko cover...

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_29.jpg

How come Stan Lee gets a cameo in Marvel films and he doesn't?

Steve Ditko is a very private person. He doesn't want any kind of limelight.

I dnop't think Ditko would want to appear in movies even if they asked him to.

I think it would be cool if he made a cameo in a Dr. Strange movie... :word:

:yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"