The Pentagon's Doctored Ledgers Conceal $Billions in Waste

NickNitro

Extra Terrestrial
Reaction score
This is a bit long but a must read. We need our eyes opened to whats going on in our Country. This is truly sad.

http://news.yahoo.com/special-repor...s-conceal-epic-waste-144950858--business.html

The Defense Department's 2012 budget totaled $565.8 billion, more than the annual defense budgets of the 10 next largest military spenders combined, including Russia and China. How much of that money is spent as intended is impossible to determine.

In its investigation, Reuters has found that the Pentagon is largely incapable of keeping track of its vast stores of weapons, ammunition and other supplies; thus it continues to spend money on new supplies it doesn't need and on storing others long out of date. It has amassed a backlog of more than half a trillion dollars in unaudited contracts with outside vendors; how much of that money paid for actual goods and services delivered isn't known. And it repeatedly falls prey to fraud and theft that can go undiscovered for years, often eventually detected by external law enforcement agencies.

The consequences aren't only financial; bad bookkeeping can affect the nation's defense. In one example of many, the Army lost track of $5.8 billion of supplies between 2003 and 2011 as it shuffled equipment between reserve and regular units. Affected units "may experience equipment shortages that could hinder their ability to train soldiers and respond to emergencies," the Pentagon inspector general said in a September 2012 report.

This is no surprise at all.

Imagine all the homeless that could be fed, all the children clothed, all the school books payed for, all the teachers salaries increased if that $5.8 billion lost in Military supplies was put towards something that could better humanity.

Last edited:
This isn't even news. It's like a yearly thing that gets reported on, ignored or buried then re-reported on the next year.

Get a team of accountants on the job. If you offer a bonus of 0.0001% of all assets recovered as a cash bonus annually I can guarantee that they'll find billions in lost/misdirected/stolen supplies.

This isn't even news. It's like a yearly thing that gets reported on, ignored or buried then re-reported on the next year.

You didn't have to comment on it then. You could of moved on.

I think something needs to be done about it though and not be buried again until next year.

It's really sad how we fight for something like this to become public knowledge, and when it is, literally nothing is done. It makes me really depressed and hard to call to arms for other things the Government keeps from us because I find myself thinking "what if they do, we're do God damn lazy to do anything about it anyway".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"