The Perfect Casting for Obscure Characters

Mike Murdock

Avenger
Reaction score
I realize this thread will look like nothing more than "Hey, I thought of the perfect casting choice for some random Marvel character," but I figured it was worth starting a thread anyway. Basically, this thread is for casting ideas for any character so obscure that he's not worth his own discussion or won't appear in some other forum. This is not the thread for your Reed Richards, Kang the Conquerors, or Adam Warlocks.

My bolt of inspiration was that I think Tom Selleck would make an excellent Stranger. This is solely based on looks, but I don't think the Stranger has a particularly deep character. I might have some future ideas, but I figured I'd ask everyone else. What obscure character do you have the perfect actor for?

Not sure if he comes up as 'obscure' on anyone's radar, but I hope to everything, one day, we get Captain Britain in the MCU and given the UK's importance to the Box Office goldmine that is the MCU, I hope he does join. Casting ? Dan Stevens all the way.

Dan Stevens is certainly British. I feel he should be a bit more buff for Captain Britain. To me, Brain Braddock is a true Rugger Bugger.

Random suggestion and I'm going a bit by typecasting, but what about Dominic West for Starfire/Eros? Basically, he does a good job playing a lascivious creeper who is also a hero. Plus, he's roughly in the same age as Josh Brolin for Thanos.

Dan Stevens is certainly British. I feel he should be a bit more buff for Captain Britain. To me, Brain Braddock is a true Rugger Bugger.

Random suggestion and I'm going a bit by typecasting, but what about Dominic West for Starfire/Eros? Basically, he does a good job playing a lascivious creeper who is also a hero. Plus, he's roughly in the same age as Josh Brolin for Thanos.

Have you seen The Guest. He is in top condition in that, and he can do light/dark, drama, comedy, the lot.

Stevens was awesome in The Guest and he was certainly ripped there but he still was a little too slight to play Captain Britain. I’d go with a naturally bigger guy, like Philip Winchester.

0f9a43fbf819217579aaedff6d5800b4--community-tv-season-.jpg

Gladiator.jpg

I could see that, who is that?

Staying cosmic, I think Dominic West could play a good Eros/Starfox.

Tom Hanks as ForgetMeNot

Lucy Lui as Sway

Bryce Dallas Howard as Petra

The It actor as Changeling

Vin Diesel as Maggott

Bradley Cooper as Mimic

Anne Hathaway as Sage

Amy Adams as Lifeguard

Scott Eastwood as Slipstream

Helen Mirren or Meryl Streep for Agatha Harkess

The ones I'm most passionate about are Viva Bianca as Amora the Enchantress (she'd also be a good Emma Frost or Roxanne Simpson), John Cena as Atlas or Juggernaut, Hunter Page-Lochard as Bishop, Madison Davenport as Shadowcat, Hugh Grant as Mister Sinister, Fryda Wolff as Abigail Brand, Bryan Cranston as Doc Ock, Eva Green as Karnilla, Freddy Prinz Jr. as Nova, Vasiliy Stepanov as Omega Red, Jing Tian as Tiger's Beatutiful Daughter, Phillip Winchester as Orson Randall, Stephen Dillane as Green Goblin and Daniel Wu as Mister Negative. These are the ones which come across as, "too perfect" in my eyes. Assuming that the "Ingrid" character in Jessica Jones isn't Typhoid Mary, I'd like to see Eiza Gonzales take up the role.

Wu would also be great as the real Mandarin since you can't cast a Chinese actor as a villain and still get release in China but you can cast a Chinese-American, hence why Warcraft was released in China but he still played the antagonist. He's lived in China for years and speaks the language fluently and would be able to perfectly nail the accent. He's also a really good actor.

Also really want Hulk recast with Hafthor Bjornson in the Joe Fixit persona and Iron Man recast with DJ Cotrona or Zac Efron. I'm leaning more towards Cotrona since he worked with Elodie Yung before and he tends to play morally ambiguous characters better than Efron but I may reconsider after seeing how Efron plays Ted Bundy. If he's able to carry that darkness in him, then I may feel like he'd be a better Iron Man.

And if Michael Fassbender will cost too much for Marvel Studios to sign a new contract with him, I wouldn't be averse to Christoph Waltz or Oded Fehr taking over as Magneto.

I'd also like to see Mike Patton in a role. Particularly something that's either full-on body horror like Living Laser or would be utterly demonic like Blackheart or Shuma Gorath. The guy's a one man vocal effects studio and he'd do something really cool and interesting with any of these three.

Last edited:
Wait. Amora, Shadowcat, Mr Sinister, Doc Ock, Green Goblin are obscure?

Or Hulk or Iron Man? Or Magneto?

I thought this was just about the obscure characters.

435679-eternals1.jpg

I was looking at some of the Eternal characters a while back:
Ikaris (MCU analogue of Orion or Thor): Kellan Lutz

Makkari (MCU analogue of Mercury): Daniel Sunjata
4db40c6542659fd8c45b04d2747c8d7f.jpg

Zuras (MCU analogue of zeus): john rhys davies or Kristofer Hivju

Cersi (MCU analogue of Cirque from mythology): Young Selma Blair or Olivia Wild (perhaps avril aterton or alexandra daddario but unsure)
Sersi_2.jpg

Thena (MCU analogue of Athena): Katheryn Winnick or Isabel Lucas
250px-Etrnlsv2003_cvr.jpg

Gilgamesh (the forgotten one): A younger Mickey Rourke; someone like Jason Mamoa perhaps

Dreaming Celestial: ?
659417-familiars.jpg

kro of deviant race: conrad coates as kro

kra: ?

druig: luke evans or Josh Stewart

sprite:?

Ajak (celestial spokesperson; mcu analogue of incan Tecumotzin, Lord of Flight): Someone kind of like Jeff Goldblum perhaps

Grom (ok this character perhaps should be relegated to movie besides eternals but just so over the top had throw in): Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson
latest

Edit: Just as a sidenote, here's an interesting review I found on the Eternals volume 1 from the 70's likening it to some mythology and literature from the time period: http://www.giantsizemarvel.com/2017/06/review-eternals-by-jack-kirby.html

Last edited:
Rupert Penry-Jones (The Strain, Four Feathers & Black Sails) has long been my pick for Brian Braddock (Captain Britain) but at 47 he might be getting a bit too old for the role if it eventually ever comes up.

1950's Marvel Boy Robert Grayson played by Mike Vogel

AOATLAS003.jpg

996878-60_marvel_boy__the_uranian_1.jpg

mike-vogel.jpg

Visually, that might be the perfect casting. You also definitely win the award for most on point for this thread. Who is that character?

Agents of Atlas minus Jimmy Woo

Gorilla-Man (voice) – Ron Perlman
Namora – Gemma Chan
Venus – Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
Triathlon – Aldis Hodge
The Uranian – Sam Claflin

Last edited:
Robert Grayson otherwise known as Marvel Boy (otherwise known as "The Uranian") published by Marvel pre-cursor Atlas Comics in the 1950's.

General info. on Robert Grayson's Marvel Boy here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Boy as well as here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Boy_(Robert_Grayson)

Crusader:
After Marvel Comics became popular, there was a character known as the "Crusader" who vaporized himself with his power source (Quantum Bands) in the 1970's. This seems to later have been reconciled as what happened to Robert Grayson's Marvel Boy when explaining Quasar's origin story in the late 80's. Quasar also appeared in 70's but origin not expanded on until 80's comic where makes mention of him working as security gaurd gaining the Quantum Bands (claims initially known as Marvel Boy/MarvelMan after Robert Grayson's demise before becoming Quasar).

Later Appearances:
Robert Grayson's Marvel Boy would appear from time to time as a simulated ghost of sorts in Quasar comic known as the Blue Marvel (not done very well in comic but I think could be adapted fairly well included in my proposed Quasar movie here: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=536767&page=4). Later, his demise as the Crusader was retconned and he made a few appearances in 616 Universe as well in 2006 miniseries Agents of Atlas.

Edit: Certainly think Robert Grayson could appear in films variety of ways.

Last edited:
Bar Paly as Amora the Enchantress

Bar-Paly2.jpg

MV5BMTQ2ODYwNTQ3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTYxMTk3MTE@._V1_.jpg

DOTCggTU8AADGY3.jpg

Last edited:
Carrie Coon as Sue Storm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"