Clone Wars "The Phantom Apprentice" Spoiler Discussion

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
Previously on The Clone Wars...

Anakin was the best, Ahsoka acted a fool, Rex got a promotion, Obi-Wan looked tired of these kids, the Siege of Mandalore begun and Maul caught the wrong Jedi.

viIiCg8.gif

q9TLyzi.gif

sTd8lCd.gif

4mJqO0W.gif

Last edited:
Vader vs Maul is happening. Maul talking about how his entire plan was about getting Skywalker there. Ahsoka saying he is lucky he didn't show up. Vader is going to open a very large can of whoop ass on Maul.

That said, my theory on how it goes down has changed a bit. I now think that Ahsoka and Maul are going to end at the capital, after receiving the message telling the Jedi to return. Once there, they will split up somehow. Maybe with Maul escaping and Ahsoka going straight to the temple, or something. Maul will fight Vader and get crushed, while Ahsoka faces Sheev, who puts her on her ass.

Oh and that lightsaber fight in this episodes? It was alright. :o

They mo-capped that right? I think they said something about doing that. If so, it looked so much better then the usually way too sharp fights from the animated shows so far. That was beautiful. Especially with the added "on set" lightsaber glow they have seemed to have added here. It is a little thing, that adds so much. It looks better, while making it all feel a bit more real.

Also my theory still holds:

Blue vs. Red > All other lightsaber colors :cool:

Last edited:
Great episode. I don't know what else to say but damn Dat gar saxon vs Bo katan fight was sick. I loved it.

Vader vs Maul is happening. Maul talking about how his entire plan was about getting Skywalker there. Ahsoka saying he is lucky he didn't show up. Vader is going to open a very large can of whoop ass on Maul.

That said, my theory on how it goes down has changed a bit. I now think that Ahsoka and Maul are going to end at the capital, after receiving the message telling the Jedi to return. Once there, they will split up somehow. Maybe with Maul escaping and Ahsoka going straight to the temple, or something. Maul will fight Vader and get crushed, while Ahsoka faces Sheev, who puts her on her ass.

I'm not sure new Vader should actually be able to whoop Maul's ass. Not with a lightsaber. Think of how clumsy he was when he first stepped away from the medical gurney in ROTS. He's a third degree burn victim and multi limb amputee with numerous mechanical prosthesis in a completely untested and unknow life support suit. He shouldnt be a good melee fighter at first. He should have some adjustment period where he is awkward and still trying learn his new physical situation. And Maul having spent years acclimating to his mechanical body should have the edge in a saber fight.

I'd have the fight start out with Maul soundly dominating Vader with a lightsaber and Vader getting more and more frustrated and angry until he let's loose with the Force. Feeding it with every bit of the anger, resentment, frustration, and pain that accumulated during the events of ROTS.

I'm not sure new Vader should actually be able to whoop Maul's ass. Not with a lightsaber. Think of how clumsy he was when he first stepped away from the medical gurney in ROTS. He's a third degree burn victim and multi limb amputee with numerous mechanical prosthesis in a completely untested and unknow life support suit. He shouldnt be a good melee fighter at first. He should have some adjustment period where he is awkward and still trying learn his new physical situation. And Maul having spent years acclimating to his mechanical body should have the edge in a sabre fight.

I'd have the fight start out with Maul soundly dominating Vader with a lightsaber and Vader getting more and more frustrated and angry until he let's loose with the Force. Feeding it with every bit of the anger, resentment, frustration, and pain that accumulated during the events of ROTS.
Maul has had his legs for maybe a year. Maybe. Before that, his spider body was a very different situation and one where he had lost his mind. He was also able to fight perfectly once he got his chicken legs, that very same episode. He didn't need time to acclimate. This is Star Wars. They do magic.

Anakin Skywalker is the best sword fighter in the galaxy not named Yoda. Furthermore, very little of lightsaber fighting is physical. These are sorcerers after all. Ones who enhance their physical capabilities through the Force. Dooku was a very old dude, but could move like a young man. It was the same for Yoda and the Emperor. Also how well you move doesn't matter, when you can see the future. Little Anakin had reflexes better then a grown man, because of the Force. It didn't matter that physically, he shouldn't. The Force is a power that runs on emotion, and Vader is pure anger at this point. It is how he survived his lava bath in the first place. Plus, if he is in the suit, it is post Padme's death. That is not a time to be meeting with Vader. That said, maybe it won't be Vader in the suit. We did have the Vader comic that showed us him right after RotS, but we will see how much that matters. Because my money is on it being Vader in the suit.

All that said, whatever happens is going to scar Maul. He wanted no part of Vader in Rebels. Ran from him.

Damn, this episode was first class. Major kudos to Dave Filoni and his team for this. We’re now in Revenge of Sith, and I got chills whenever we saw the explicit tie-ins to Sith.

Obi-Wan speaking to Ahsoka through a hologram after Anakin has killed Count Dooku but just before Kenobi kills Grievance is kind of surreal.

Last edited:
Oh and did anyone think Darth Maul holding his hand out to Ahsoka in an offer for her to join him was a Last Jedi callback to when Kylo did the same with Rey?

Oh and did anyone think Darth Maul holding his hand out to Ahsoka in an offer for her to join him was a Last Jedi callback to when Kylo did the same with Rey?
No, I thought it was a pretty clear call back to the first time it ever happened, just like the Last Jedi was. :D

They like referencing that scene on TCW:

Though now I am sure Ezra feels like a cheap date. :hehe:

The way it was particularly shown gave me Last Jedi vibes.

Anyways, this was posted...

Hmm...

Last edited:
These last two episodes have been incredible. Just adding more to what was already the best prequel film in Revenge of the Sith. Between this and The Mandalorian I'm pretty hype for Disney Plus Star Wars!

This was just so good. That Filoni and his team are able to so seamlessly integrate their content with a series of films which, in spite my personal enjoyment of some of them (mostly Sith), have a lot of flaws, elevating and correcting the characters and themes of those same films at the same time, but without outright dissmissing them is a remarkable archivement in itself...

And exactly the reverse of what the ST did with the OT.

Just watched episodes 9 and 10. Just WOW, incredible stuff. The Phantom Apprentice is EASILY one of my favorite episodes of Clone Wars ever. Just wow. I can’t wait for the final 2 episodes now.

We are entering Revenge of the Sith territory from Darth Maul and Ahsoka's POV.

So the Jedi Council knew the following:

* They never approved the creation of the clone army
* Creating an army for the Republic was illegal
* They knew the clone template was an assassin who attempted to murder Padme
* They found the clone template working in service of Count Dooku, a Separatist leader and Sith turncoat
* They knew Count Dooku was working for Darth Sidious
* They knew Darth Sidious orchestrated the Clone Wars and likely had something to do with the creation of the clone army, which they knew nothing about for the last 10 years and they just conveniently found when they suddenly needed an army

So to sum up, with all this information, they continued to surround themselves with clones they knew were from the template of an assassin working for a Separatist and Sith lord? And didn't think, "You know...maybe we should proceed a little more carefully?"

So the Jedi Council knew the following:

* They never approved the creation of the clone army
* Creating an army for the Republic was illegal
* They knew the clone template was an assassin who attempted to murder Padme
* They found the clone template working in service of Count Dooku, a Separatist leader and Sith turncoat
* They knew Count Dooku was working for Darth Sidious
* They knew Darth Sidious orchestrated the Clone Wars and likely had something to do with the creation of the clone army, which they knew nothing about for the last 10 years and they just conveniently found when they suddenly needed an army

So to sum up, with all this information, they continued to surround themselves with clones they knew were from the template of an assassin working for a Separatist and Sith lord? And didn't think, "You know...maybe we should proceed a little more carefully?"

Well to be fair, a lot of that information was created post "Revenge of the Sith". If the entire clone wars series had been mapped out prior to the films' release then I'm sure that we would have a very different film on our hands.

Well to be fair, a lot of that information was created post "Revenge of the Sith". If the entire clone wars series had been mapped out prior to the films' release then I'm sure that we would have a very different film on our hands.

Obi-Wan Kenobi tracks down Jango Fett to Kamino where there's a clone army they had no idea existed. Knew Jango Fett was the assassin he was searching for, and then followed the assassin from Kamino directly to the Separatists and Count Dooku.

There appears to be no connection here!

Obi-Wan Kenobi tracks down Jango Fett to Kamino where there's a clone army they had no idea existed. Knew Jango Fett was the assassin he was searching for, and then followed the assassin from Kamino directly to the Separatists and Count Dooku.

There appears to be no connection here!

According to the canon established before the release of TROS, the Jedi were not aware of Datth Sidious having orchestrated the clone wars and Count Dooku being Darth Tyrannus.

Hubris and self assurance is a big part of why the Jedi Order was destroyed. They knew the Clone Army stank to high heaven, but they trusted the Force and their own abilities to steer them through the quagmire of **** they were getting into. And besides what were they supposed to do? Go before the Senate and say, "Uh sorry Supreme Chancellor, but you and the Republic cant use this army that you have the authority to use. Rather you must conscript your own sons and daughters to die. And better do it quick because the Separatists already have an army capable of fighting across the galaxy."

At best they could have stalled things, but Sidious would have just had the Separatists attack the Republic, and then the Senate would have told the Jedi to **** off, and used the Clones regardless.

The Jedi couldnt even set out the war, because Sidious would have just declared the Jedi traitors to the Republic or Separatists allies. Or smeared their reputation in some other way.

The Jedi were ****ed the moment Sidious became Chancellor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"