• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The PS4 Thread

Paroxysm

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.examiner.com/x-34043-Monterey-Video-Games-Examiner~y2010m1d5-Sony-PS4-in-the-works
A translated report from the Japanese PC source Impress Watch gave a glimpse of the successor to the PS3. Sony is currently deciding whether to build the PS4 around a newer Cell processor, like the one found in the PS3, or switch to an Intel multi-core processor.

Deciding on a processor could change the fortunes of the company that saw its hold at the top of the video game pile slip with the less than spectacular launch of the PS3. Many developers criticized the PS3 as a nightmare to build games for because of the complex programming required to harness the console's potential. Gabe Newell famously called the PS3 "a total disaster on so many levels" and suggested that Sony should scrap the system and move on to the next.

The report from Impress Watch notes the success of Microsoft's Xbox 360 due to a developer's preference for it. Judging from the report, Sony looks to level the playing field by making its next system more PC-like and easier to program for.

I really want them to switch to an Intel multi-core processor!

here's another article I found.

http://www.infopackets.com/news/gam...231_sony_considers_multi_core_cpu_for_ps4.htm
Sony's PlayStation 3 has only in the past year started to emerge as a legitimate contender for the console crown currently held by Nintendo and its Wii. However, even as PS3 sales slowly inch up, news of the company's next gaming system has recently emerged.

According to a report from Japanese industry insiders "PC Watch Impress," Sony is currently working on a multi-core CPU (Central Processing Unit) to be used in its next gaming console, tentatively (and likely) dubbed the PlayStation 4.

Sony Exploring Multiple Options for PS4 CPU

It's not yet known what the exact specifications for this processor might be, but sources have told PC Watch Impress that Sony is considering several different possibilities for the PS4, starting with a modified version of the Cell processor already used in the PlayStation 3. That architecture could be combined with new technology from chip maker Intel called Larrabee, a "a hybrid between a multi-core CPU and a GPU (graphics processing unit). (Source: wikipedia.org)

The Cell Architecture

If Sony is to continue using the Cell processor architecture, it will want to change a few things in the way it is implemented. Part of the reason for the PlayStation 3's slow start, aside from its initial astronomic cost, was that the processor was considered difficult to use by many developers.

Several years ago, famous Doom co-creator John Carmack noted that the PS3's asymmetric CPU was a big problem for game makers and that, by comparison, Microsoft's Xbox 360 was much more developer-friendly. (Source: gizmocafe.com)

could that mean that the PS4 couldn't be backwards compatible?

I'd sure hope so. It also means that it will be easier to program for which is a huge bonus.

The PS4 better be backwards compatible. I got a large library of PS1, PS2, and PS3 games.

I think Sony has stopped caring about backwards compatibility. Otherwise, the new PS3's would still have it.

PS3 is just now hitting its stride, so I doubt that we'll see a PS4 reveal before 2012 (especially with the economy being in the crapper, thus making an expensive new console less attractive to new buyers). However, I do hope PS4 has backward compatibility, and I hope that Sony is going to break with tradition and keep using Blu-Ray for PS4 games instead of trying to adopt something new. At the very least Sony might make an early run of backward compatible systems that include cell processors, and then take it out when they drop the price like they did with PS3.

I'm probably not going to be ditching my ol' 20GB PS3 (upgraded w/ a 120GB HDD) because the resale value probably won't mean much to me by then, and it can't hurt to have another Blu-Ray player around the house, but it'd be nice if I could play all my playstation titles on one system instead of having to periodically switch.

Oh yea, and one last thing-- while I think that the current dualshock controller design works pretty nicely, it's about time for a change methinks! Even now I still prefer the feel of Logitech's wireless PS2 controller (which apparently has been re-released for PS3), but I haven't really trusted them ever since the square button on mine started losing its springiness. I'd like to see what Sony could do with a more ergonomic and streamlined controller shape, and after the wireless, motion control-enabled Dualshock 3 I think that the current design has gone about as far as it logically can. The next logical step for the Dualshock 4 is a facelift IMO.

PS3 is just now hitting its stride, so I doubt that we'll see a PS4 reveal before 2012 (especially with the economy being in the crapper, thus making an expensive new console less attractive to new buyers). However, I do hope PS4 has backward compatibility, and I hope that Sony is going to break with tradition and keep using Blu-Ray for PS4 games instead of trying to adopt something new. At the very least Sony might make an early run of backward compatible systems that include cell processors, and then take it out when they drop the price like they did with PS3.

I'm probably not going to be ditching my ol' 20GB PS3 (upgraded w/ a 120GB HDD) because the resale value probably won't mean much to me by then, and it can't hurt to have another Blu-Ray player around the house, but it'd be nice if I could play all my playstation titles on one system instead of having to periodically switch.

Oh yea, and one last thing-- while I think that the current dualshock controller design works pretty nicely, it's about time for a change methinks! Even now I still prefer the feel of Logitech's wireless PS2 controller (which apparently has been re-released for PS3), but I haven't really trusted them ever since the square button on mine started losing its springiness. I'd like to see what Sony could do with a more ergonomic and streamlined controller shape, and after the wireless, motion control-enabled Dualshock 3 I think that the current design has gone about as far as it logically can. The next logical step for the Dualshock 4 is a facelift IMO.

I bloody hope not I just bought a ps3 slim around christmas.

I did buy PS3 about 2 weeks ago. I don't want buy another PS console.

I dont think it will come out anytime soon. Ive got a genius plan anyway.

Everytime ive bought a game or anything i get reward points that are converted into money value. Hopefully by the time the ps4 does come out ill have at least half the money for it :D i already got £56 worth of points. mwahahahaha

I dont think it will come out anytime soon. Ive got a genius plan anyway.

Everytime ive bought a game or anything i get reward points that are converted into money value. Hopefully by the time the ps4 does come out ill have at least half the money for it :D i already got £56 worth of points. mwahahahaha

You're talking about Game UK Ltd??:woot:

i'd like a new playstation to come out in 2012.

I'd say that might be to soon. Unless they have alot of the Pre work done now.

2012 certainly sounds too early. Like the reports says, it's only in the past year that PS3 is starting to reach its potential. Unless the competitors force their hand I can't see PS4 for a while.

Report: The PlayStation 4 Will Have Kinect-Style Motion Controls

Next year, Nintendo is releasing a new home console, the Wii U. Taiwanese component makers tell tech site DigiTimes that Sony is readying a new home console for 2012. But that's not the interesting part.

These component manufacturer sources tell DigiTimes that the PlayStation 4 will feature body-movement controls like Microsoft's Kinect. That's the interesting, if not unexpected, part.

The PS3 currently has PlayStation Move motion controls, which are similar to the Wii's motion controls.

The report states Foxconn and Pegatron Technology will assemble the PS4 for Sony. Foxconn and Pegatron Technology both assemble the PS3, which was originally manufactured in Japan.

Sources told DigiTimes that the PS4 will go into production at the end of 2011 for a 2012 launch. Apparently Sony will manufacture 20 million PS4 consoles for 2012.

Previously, Kotaku reported that 2014 seems likely for a new Sony or Microsoft console—2013 if either Sony or Microsoft feels pushed. 2013 seems like a far more realistic date for a new PlayStation 4 than 2012, which is next year.

What's more, America's slow economic recovery could make launching after 2012 ultimately more profitable. Also, Sony is releasing its new portable, the PS Vita this year, and the Tokyo-based electronics giant might need a breather between hardware launches.

If DigiTimes' sources are correct, Sony could look to get the jump on Microsoft and thwart Nintendo in one fell swoop.

Since the PS3 launched, Sony has touted the machine's 10 year lifespan. The PS3 launched in 2006, six years into the PS2's lifespan. Even after the PS3 launched, Sony continued to support the PlayStation 2.

If the PlayStation 4 launches in 2012, that would be six years into the PS3's lifespan. Sony could continue to support the PS3 as it did with the PlayStation 2.

Kotaku reached out to Sony and will update this post should the company comment.

hmmmmm........I think 2012 is just too soon. I just bought my PS3 2 years ago, so I will be extremely mad if a new console comes out next year, especially if the PS3 is abandoned in favor of the PS4

But, if they do make a new console, they need to include Backward Compatibility for ALL PS1, PS2, and PS3 games.

And, they need to make the system easier to program and develop for, so games released on both platforms are equal.

I just bought PS3 this year

I would take that info with a truck load of salt. 2012 is way too soon for a new console, especially since the PS3 has not hit the sweet spot of $199.99 yet. I think they will go at least 2 years with it at that price before the PS4 is released. Not to mention digitimes.com is notorious for making bogus stories. Like this for instance.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080331PD214.html
Or
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100713PD207.html

More here:

http://normalkid.com/2007/03/23/digitimescoms-poor-apple-rumor-accuracy/

But aren't people saying that they are starting production on a PS4 in 2012 & not actually releasing the PS4 ? That would make more sense

The article says it will go into production at the end of this year and release in 2012. I still think it will be 2013/14 before we see a PS4 on the shelves.

If the PS4 does have motion controls like Kinnect people are going to bash Sony for making fun of it

just wondering.. I know it will eventually come out.. I don't have PS3 yet.. and I wll be ticked if I eventually get one and all of a sudden the PS4 is announced to be on sale.. I hope it will be compatible with PS3 and PS2 games.. and it should come bundled with two controllers.. none of that cheapskate one-controller stuff..:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"